Topic ClosedBest (vinyl) side-long album tracks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 08:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by rematpac rematpac wrote:

I don't have a camera,but that doesn't matter because I just sent a message to Greg Lake and explained the situation.He hasn't been active on his sight for a while but eventually he will get the message and when he does you all better hope he's just too busy to answer because if he's not there's going to be a big"I TOLD YOU SO" for all of you dis-believers.
How old are you? Five? (with apologies to all 5 year-olds reading this). I sincerely want you to be proved right - nothing would please me more. I don't want rumour, guesses or vague rusty memories I want proven irrefutable facts - nothing else matters. Seriously. If it was originally called Karn Eval on early releases then that's bloody marvellous - a fantastic piece of archive history forgotten for 38 years - brilliant. But if it's not, or can't be proven then it's nothing.

A person does not forget the name of his favorite song,especially when he's been a musician all his life,and why don't you start apologizing to the 3 year olds instead because that's how old I was when I started PERFORMING in front of audiences.
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 09:05
Well Dean and Snow dog I must say you became a bit too rude here.
I never had the vinyls of neither Brain salad surgery nor welcome back my friends so I can't tell who is right. My brain (hopefully not been salad surgered yet) tells me you 2 are probably right but even if the guy is wrong he does not deserve your attitude. However, this debate taught me what that name stands for and that's nice.

To a different matter. Snow dog, what's wrong with Emerson's concerto as a full record side track ?
omri
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 09:08
Originally posted by omri omri wrote:

I never had the vinyls of neither Brain salad surgery nor welcome back my friends so I can't tell who is right. My brain (hopefully not been salad surgered yet) tells me you 2 are probably right but even if the guy is wrong he does not deserve your attitude. However, this debate taught me what that name stands for and that's nice.

To a different matter. Snow dog, what's wrong with Emerson's concerto as a full record side track ?

On the first matter, he does deserve it for being a troll. I don't think i have been very rude anyway. I have been very patient that is for sure and Dean remarkably so.

On the second. Well it is 3 pieces of music. Three movements so not strictly a "side long album track"

Edited by Snow Dog - March 30 2011 at 09:11
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 09:31
Originally posted by omri omri wrote:

Sorry? What does "this debate taught me what that name stands for and that's nice" mean?
What?
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 09:42
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

There's a lot of abstract(atonal)music in Karn Evil 9 formerly Karn Eval 9.

Those two words do not mean the same thing and neither of them apply to Karn Evil 9. 
The word I meant was dissonance,and that's heard throughout Karn Eval 9.It's real simple,you pronounce carnival-CAR -NE-VAL,or even CAR-NE for short,never CAR-NE-VILL!No one ever pronounces it like that!It's pronounced CAR-NE-VAL.which is also the same as KARN-E-VAL,not KARN-E-VILL,no one ever pronounces it like that ,so it's very logical why they would name it KARNEVAL,because you might miss the pun on CARNIVAL otherwise which is what most people did per my research on the net for the last 45 minutes.If you can't understand this explanation then you're just being obstinate.
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 09:48
Angry

Anotherthing,when I 1st saw the name of the work KARN EVAL 9,it wasn't on Brain Salad Surgery,but on the 1st ELP albums I bought which was a double cassette version of Welcome Back My Friends which I unbelieveably bought at the local large food market right behind one of the cashiers where they used to keep the individual packs of cigarrettes in the 60's in a small oblong wooden box with a sliding plastic door in 1974.That's how good my memory is and that's why I know it wasn't just a typo because it was all over the place on both the studio and live albums and cassettes.
OMG! Are you being serious? Shocked 

You really are a troll aren't you. Stern Smile

Well done, you had us going there for a minute Clap 

Now, go away. Stern SmileIs this really how you people are?I've been researching this for the last 45 minutes and now it appears I've been wasting my time on a bunch of creeps.GOOD-BYE!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 09:52
bye
What?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 09:59
My first name is spelled JOSE.....but often it is spelled HOSE, my birth certificate says JOSE and so does my marriage certificate....I'm so confused!!! Confused
Snowdog...please advise who I should send a youtube message to for clarification on the spelling of my name?

Dean...what's a numptie?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 10:09
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Dean...what's a numptie?

I used the plural "numpties" - the singular is" numpty": http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/apr/04/britishidentity.features11 
What?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 10:16

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Dean...what's a numptie?

I used the plural "numpties" - the singular is" numpty": http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/apr/04/britishidentity.features11 

10-4......I did think it had some connection to numbnuts, which is a personal favorite of mine....I hope to be able to use numpties in the near future.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 12:12
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Ricochet part 2
Ricochet Part1
LOL

Supper's Ready isn't long enough

I assumed that Suppers Ready took up a whole side at 22 minutes?

One on my list that shouldn't be there is Aphrodites Child 'All The Seats Were Occupied' because there was another song called 'Break' on the same side. But someone earlier posted it on their list so I just went along with it!
Actually, 'horizons' opens side 2. So Supper's Ready doesn't belong in the prestigious category of "side-long epics" even though it's longer than most of them..

Even though the 'original' on Foxtrot was not a side long track.  I think it should be included here.  Even if you don't accept the Foxtrot version the Second's Out is.

I put the 'original' just because you will know that the original original was called 'Tea's Up' but Tony demanded that they change the title as he thought it 'too common'.
Help me I'm falling!
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 12:27
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

I think it should be included here

I'm completely indifferent towards this issue. "(vinyl) side-long album tracks" is a bizarre selection criterion for good songs to list. My favourite is "Living in the Heart of the Beast" (Henry Cow, 1975)   

Edited by Paravion - March 30 2011 at 12:34
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 13:00
from liner notes of BSS:
Quote Not surprisingly, the three-part musical centerpiece of Brain Salad Surgery was also the subject of the album's initial recording sessions ("1st Impression" at Olympic Studios, London, in June; "2nd Impression" and "3rd Impression" at Advision in August). But, notes Keith Emerson, the thematic concerns of "Karn Evil 9" had undergone nearly as much evolution as its music: "The actual title was probably Pete Sinfield's. I had this idea about a planet that I wanted to call 'Ganton 9.' And Pete said you can't call it that, 'cause there's a Ganton Street in Soho, just down the road! Pete listened to the music I'd written and said it sounds like a carnival - it's all happy! So we went carnival, hmm, Karn Evil. Bang! That's it - end of story!"
What?
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 14:26
I just couldn't resist the temptation to pull out my BSS and check, even if I was very sure of what the printing would be.

The poster with the title and song listing says: KARN EVIL 9 . I have the first UK pressing. So I guess this settles it.

All this has been very entertaining though. LOL  
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 14:30
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

I just couldn't resist the temptation to pull out my BSS and check, even if I was very sure of what the printing would be.

The poster with the title and song listing says: KARN EVIL 9 . I have the first UK pressing. So I guess this settles it.

All this has been very entertaining though. LOL  
I did the same thing with WBMFTTSTNE Embarrassed Mine's also first UK pressing - purchased in 1974.

Now I'm perfectly prepared to accept that a USA Cassette edition may have a misprint, but I would need photographic proof.
What?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 15:12
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I had my doubts all along Dean. Now proven without a doubt. I think we've finished here.

Some outstanding detective work.

I think we're ready for the booze now gents! And the listening party right after!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 15:20
Various ones I love have been mentioned, but I didn't notice these:

Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Osorezan
Toshiyuki Miyama and His New Herd/ Masahiko Satoh: Ichi
Bjorn J:son Lindh: Fran Storstad Til Grodspad
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 15:42
I took your advice, and wrote Greg. Here's what he replied:

"Dear Alex,

Thank you for writing me. Honestly, I have no idea about the EVAL issue, it's always been KARN EVIL 9 as far as I am concerned. If you don't believe me, you can talk to Keith on Skype, just don't, ever, call before 11 AM!

I hope this solves your problem,

Yours,

Greg Lake"
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 15:47
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I took your advice, and wrote Greg. Here's what he replied:

"Dear Alex,

Thank you for writing me. Honestly, I have no idea about the EVAL issue, it's always been KARN EVIL 9 as far as I am concerned. If you don't believe me, you can talk to Keith on Skype, just don't, ever, call before 11 AM!

I hope this solves your problem,

Yours,

Greg Lake"

Oh internets.
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 16:31
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Anotherthing,when I 1st saw the name of the work KARN EVAL 9,it wasn't on Brain Salad Surgery,but on the 1st ELP albums I bought which was a double cassette version of Welcome Back My Friends which I unbelieveably bought at the local large food market right behind one of the cashiers where they used to keep the individual packs of cigarrettes in the 60's in a small oblong wooden box with a sliding plastic door in 1974.That's how good my memory is and that's why I know it wasn't just a typo because it was all over the place on both the studio and live albums and cassettes.
OMG! Are you being serious? Shocked 

You really are a troll aren't you. Stern Smile

Well done, you had us going there for a minute Clap 

Now, go away. Stern Smile

I had my doubts all along Dean. Now proven without a doubt. I think we've finished here.You actually didn't believe a word I said?Of course were finished.You guys are the most incredible bunch of losers I've met on the net yet.Something,even non-musical that you should be able to handle and you stoop to calling me a liar and a troll because of your own unwillingness to admit your own incompetence?Unbelieveable!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>