Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dream Theater's New Track out June 29, 11AM EST
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater's New Track out June 29, 11AM EST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 21:34
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Originally posted by Mushroom Sword Mushroom Sword wrote:

Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

I really liked the new song. If this is any indicator; Train of Thought was their focus on metal, and this album will be their focus on prog.. Excellent.

What happened to Octavarium?

It was terrible, and hardly prog at all apart from the first, and last two tracks. I hate that album....

Yeah, other than the opener and title track Octavarium is basically unlistenable.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 21:36
Oh no...

I really like this song.

Now who am I going to make fun of? ... I am anticipating Dramatic Turn of Events now... Embarrassed

Opeth - Heritage, prepare for my wrath.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 21:58
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

Oh no...

I really like this song.

Now who am I going to make fun of? ... I am anticipating Dramatic Turn of Events now... Embarrassed

Opeth - Heritage, prepare for my wrath.

You can make fun of the cover. I saw people complaining about it in this thread about it but I still wasn't prepared for how terrible it is.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Purple_Floyd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 22:27
Probably just a place holder?...

Their logo isn't even right, it's streched.

The first listen : meh.

The second : With my headphones it seems better, I like the keyboard, kinda miss Portnoy for backing vocals. Almost... not DT, even if I think it's somehow similar to the the Six Degrees and ToT period.

Third : There it is. I like it. It's just not an awesome track.

I'm still unsure for the album. I expect something better than BC&SL, but not by much.
Kassimatis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 22:32
I like the track! First impression is 7.5/10, reminds me a bit of IQ?
"Were it not for music, we might in these days say, the Beautiful is dead." ~Benjamin Disraeli
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 22:33
Horrible cover. Bad sound (could've been because I heard in my car through youtube in my phone obviously). Good song. It's not as catchy as A Rite of Passage and that's actually a good thing. AROP died a quick dead, this one has time to grow and last more. I liked the push the keyboard has received, I liked the start, overall left me good hopes for the rest of the album. Mangini performs just as well as Portnoy did, probably less annoying than him in the last albums.

I notice, I don't know how, more freedom in the band. It's as if somehow they had liberated themselves from oppression. I hope i'm not wrong and the entire album sounds fresher than the last two.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 23:41
It's really interesting that Mangini didn't actually write anything for the album. The rest of the band literally programmed the drums then told Mangini to play it.

How did the recent lineup change affect the songwriting responsibilities?

We didn’t write the music with [new drummer] Mike Mangini. We decided to go in and just write it amongst ourselves without a drummer [to] get more in touch with the intimates of the compositional process that every guitarist, keyboard player and bassist does when they’re sitting around in a bedroom or hotel room or studio. Just writing and pulling out the best music that you can, exploring different areas. We decided to do it that way, which was great — a really great environment for being creative.

So, did you end up writing things that were really hard for him to play?

It’s funny that you say that, because I programmed all the drums with a program, which was a lot of fun. I came up with some wicked stuff. When we finished, I sent it, asking “Is this something that you can actually play? I don’t know, I’m not a drummer, is this a physically possible thing?” But then he came in a couple of months later, and here he was, a human being doing this stuff. I was blown away. It’s fun doing that kind of thing because you can just come up with stuff that’s beyond your wildest imagination, drum-wise, and then make it happen in real life.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/john-petrucci-dream-theater-interview-2011/

JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 02:46
Originally posted by Eärendil Eärendil wrote:

It's really interesting that Mangini didn't actually write anything for the album. The rest of the band literally programmed the drums then told Mangini to play it.

How did the recent lineup change affect the songwriting responsibilities?

We didn’t write the music with [new drummer] Mike Mangini. We decided to go in and just write it amongst ourselves without a drummer [to] get more in touch with the intimates of the compositional process that every guitarist, keyboard player and bassist does when they’re sitting around in a bedroom or hotel room or studio. Just writing and pulling out the best music that you can, exploring different areas. We decided to do it that way, which was great — a really great environment for being creative.

So, did you end up writing things that were really hard for him to play?

It’s funny that you say that, because I programmed all the drums with a program, which was a lot of fun. I came up with some wicked stuff. When we finished, I sent it, asking “Is this something that you can actually play? I don’t know, I’m not a drummer, is this a physically possible thing?” But then he came in a couple of months later, and here he was, a human being doing this stuff. I was blown away. It’s fun doing that kind of thing because you can just come up with stuff that’s beyond your wildest imagination, drum-wise, and then make it happen in real life.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/john-petrucci-dream-theater-interview-2011/

So they basically welcomed him to the band in a frenzy of media hype, then told him to go away while we write the album. Nice.
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 08:32

I think it's easy to say, that the new drummer did a good enoguh job and Myung did great too. There are some nice passages that show this youth-like enthusiasm they used to have... And I like it how this isn't too heavy.

But the problem is, well, this song could be a lot better... but for the last, dunno 10 years all the singing... There's no melody. The song completely changes when the singing starts. It goes dull and boring, all the riffs are gone, just plain chords and the melody's like --- -- -- ---- --- ---  ------ no high notes, no low notes, just bleh. this band used to be interesting :(

maynards_dick View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 13:32
my first impression is remarkable side on track   there's no melody.I didn't like and bored...
KingCrimson250 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 14:04
It's pretty good. It's about what you'd expect from Dream Theater. You're not going to regret listening to it, but it's probably not going to change your life, either.

At this rate, though, I give them two or three albums at the most before they start sounding like a parody of themselves.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 16:29
Great song. I love Rudess' presence throughout. Also, the mix does not bother me like it does others.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 13:07

Decent song..most of the bad and good points mentioned already I agree with. Mix I suspect will get corrected for the album release.

I too am wondering about the album cover, its weak but not too worried about it. Unless they release a vinyl edition then I might have to cover it up in my collection.
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 15:23
Typical average DT song. This must be thier "friendly' mainstream song off the album. Remember it's the first single.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 16:15
^ Its their pop song.......LOL
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 16:46
I like it.  It's by no means their best, but there is some nice work in it.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2011 at 14:41
hmm, on second listen it's not as good...

Well, at least this will save me $20.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 19:44
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Originally posted by Mushroom Sword Mushroom Sword wrote:

Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

I really liked the new song. If this is any indicator; Train of Thought was their focus on metal, and this album will be their focus on prog.. Excellent.

What happened to Octavarium?

It was terrible, and hardly prog at all apart from the first, and last two tracks. I hate that album....
Yeah, other than the opener and title track Octavarium is basically unlistenable.

Maybe, but the title track is enough to make this album worth buying. For me the best song DT have released, and one of my favourite epics. As for the new song, I found it OK, and not very different from anything else they have released... I'd really like to se DT make a Dramatic Turn of Style, so they may do something fresh again... I guess that's the best lesson King Crimson has given us, how they can change their stile once a peak has been achieved. Perhaps not everyone will like the new version of the band, but at least they'll remain fresh.
TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 03:49
I find it interesting that quite a number of folks had expected a dramatic change so that's what they're digging deep to find. The reality of the matter is, this track is exactly what you should have come to expect from the band by now. 

Mike P made an extremely valid point that the band could use a breather and it holds true. The great thing about bringing Mangini aboard is a fresh perspective, but it turns out he was merely a session musician for this record. Of course this is only one track, but if it's any indication which is a safe bet, then they could have taken bigger risks and allowed Mangini some freedom to add his own feel. Doesn't show much faith in the fans either and from some of the responses all over the net, I can't say I blame them entirely. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 04:37
^^^ They probably hoped for a dramatic change because reading through expectations of several fans, this is more or less what people thought DT sans Portnoy would be doing.  More of the same in a way, but with less emphasis on metal.  Nice track but not particularly exciting at this stage.  I guess if you are not a devoted fan, there's no point anyway looking for something dazzling and daring from a 20 year old band, it rarely happens. So that's an unreasonable expectation, yes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>