Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRising keyboard virtuosos in prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 07:53
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

One name I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet, including myself, is Michael Lapaj of Riverside, his work on ADHD in particular was brilliant and really fits the virtuoso spot without being over the top like Rudess.

Good one! He has skill but plays for the song. 

Also agree Matt Bellamy is excellent as well.

Edited by Terra Australis - August 17 2012 at 07:55
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
TechnicallySpeaking View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 11:20
If you like the keyboard work in Riverside, you will really like the Keyboard work by Dorsey in Ocean Architecture,  See previous post with links...
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 19:32
Originally posted by TechnicallySpeaking TechnicallySpeaking wrote:

If you like the keyboard work in Riverside, you will really like the Keyboard work by Dorsey in Ocean Architecture,  See previous post with links...
Thanks, I will check them out.

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 17:21
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

One name I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet, including myself, is Michael Lapaj of Riverside, his work on ADHD in particular was brilliant and really fits the virtuoso spot without being over the top like Rudess.

I agree - he adds atmosphere brilliantly to Riverside's work.

Other players whose work I love:

Iain Jennings of Mostly Autumn
Mark Kelly of Marillion

but the best of all has quit the music business - Martin Orford, who was a real genius.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2012 at 20:34
I've always loved the virtuosic playing styles of Mike Ratledge, Dave Stewart, Robert Jan Stips etc. - yeah, nothing beats the sound of an organ through a fuzz-box, especially when it's skillfully performed.  I think we got some of that on Anekdoten's 'A Time of Day' album from a few years back as well as some Areknames albums - more, please. Anyway, I'd have to agree that in recent years, RIVERSIDE's Michael Lapaj is pure talent, as is the entire band.  Lars Fredrik Froislie from WOBBLER/WHITE WILLOW is also a superb player.  How about ELEPHANT9's Stale Storlokken ??  Also Tillison, Rudess, Bodin, Morse - the usual suspects, although they are well established.......
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2012 at 21:00
I love Martin Orford as well. His work with I.Q is tremendous. Really rocks the synth in the album the 7th House. Not too many better than him overall.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2012 at 21:03
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I love Martin Orford as well. His work with I.Q is tremendous. Really rocks the synth in the album the 7th House. Not too many better than him overall.

Martin always played for the song. Not to show off, which some people get caught up with.

Excellent work!

Edited by Terra Australis - September 01 2012 at 21:04

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2012 at 21:13

Like the seventh House on The Seventh House!!!! Plays with such feeling. Nothing short of brilliant
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2012 at 21:23
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Like the seventh House on The Seventh House!!!! Plays with such feeling. Nothing short of brilliant

Clap

Transcend View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 02:23
Hey guys, 

Wanna hear a rising virtuoso Keyboardist, ya might like this...
http://www.facebook.com/Transcendmusic
Transcend View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 02:26
Hey guys,

wanna hear a rising keyboard virtuoso, check this, ya might like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BV1tvOgrgA&feature=plcp
JeanFrame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 04:28
I don't think there's anyone modern who has the quality of the keyboard greats, Emerson, Ritchie, Wakeman. The young/modern players often have technical excellence, but the art of dynamics and dealing with acoustics seems to be lost. Too many young musicians in general seem to think that playing notes is in itself enough - absolutely wrong.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 04:52
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

This guy Luca Zabbini from italian band Barock Project is young and very good but they do not play bombastic symphonic, they play a rather mild prog close to crossover but I really like this song, and further below it's a piano solo totally inspired by Emerson.

Yep, a truly gifted player no question (check out any of his brilliantly realised readings of ELP if you want proof)

However, I was utterly dismayed by the Barock Project's album Coffee in Neukoln which is the most sterile and anodyne neo dreck I've ever heard (in a field brimming with the stiffest competition)Dead
TechnicallySpeaking View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 08:10
Originally posted by JeanFrame JeanFrame wrote:

I don't think there's anyone modern who has the quality of the keyboard greats, Emerson, Ritchie, Wakeman. The young/modern players often have technical excellence, but the art of dynamics and dealing with acoustics seems to be lost. Too many young musicians in general seem to think that playing notes is in itself enough - absolutely wrong.

I guess you have not listened to Ocean Architecture yet?
Usandthem View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 09:36
Guillaume Fontaine from Nemo is an impressive keyboards player and I think it is surprising they are so underknown. Else Rikars Sjoblom (Beardfish), Simon Akesson (Moon Safari), Lalle Larsson (AOM, Karmakanic),Gilbert Marshall (former Magic Pie) and Yogi Lang (RPWL) are all amazing!!!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 14:53
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

This guy Luca Zabbini from italian band Barock Project is young and very good but they do not play bombastic symphonic, they play a rather mild prog close to crossover but I really like this song, and further below it's a piano solo totally inspired by Emerson.

Yep, a truly gifted player no question (check out any of his brilliantly realised readings of ELP if you want proof)

However, I was utterly dismayed by the Barock Project's album Coffee in Neukoln which is the most sterile and anodyne neo dreck I've ever heard (in a field brimming with the stiffest competition)Dead

I didn't order their latest album Coffee in Neukoln (neither heard it yet) because I was a bit unsure, so thanks for saying that. I have their first 2 albums, I like a lot their debut MisterioseVoci and a bit less the follower Rebus although it still had some pretty good music, but something was telling me the direction they were taking was not my cup of tea.

Too bad because Luca is undoubtedly a highly skilled and talented keyboardist, as you say his renditions of Keith Emerson are proof of it.
ProgDrummerTony View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 15:02

Has anyone here mentioned Fred Schendel of Glass Hammer? He might not be a "rising keyboardist," but I think he is quite remarkable on GH songs like "The Knight of the North" and "Nothing Box."

FunkyHomoSapien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 09:43
Originally posted by JeanFrame JeanFrame wrote:

Def those three in a different league.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 15:27
Hi,

To be perfectly honest with you, I really have not found, or could easily mention to any of you, any "keyboard" players that are virtuosi in prog.

Reasoning may be rather shady for some ... but the majority of folks doing keyboards today are simply doing another instrument in the orchestra, which could be considered an augmentation to the work, but in general, they are almost all just another variation upon the melody, and as such are not really adding anything to the music, except more context to the melody itself ... sort of another instrument added to the melody to make sure you know it! That in itself is a very commercial sounding thing, btw.

There are some very good players, and you can consider and count Jordan Rudess one of these, since he is a "professor" of music and quite able to talk about it, and discuss it, but his playing in his band is rather minor and not as an instrument per se, and again, simply another added element to the melody lines. The school of music they came from only teaches basics and almost all rock teaching is centered on melody, and nothing else. Their school does not have on their catalogues advanced teaching that gets away from commercial music or melody! ... they simply never done it or tried it!

If there is one person I think is magnificent, and much more than a melody player, he really is the reason for the moods in the band, just like Richard Wright was to Pink Floyd, his name is Richard Barbieri of Porcupine Tree. Take the keyboard tracks off the rest in Abelton or Sonar and listen to it ... it stands up on its own really good and you almost say ... what piece is that? Same for Richard Wright, when you separate the sounds ... at times it is difficult to tell what piece it is he is playing since he is doing something else.

Keyboards have become ... just a replacement instrument. Virtuosity in it ... is almost a joke, but I can tell you that Vangelis, Patrick Moraz, Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson are still sitting there laughing ... because no one is capable of doing anything remotely close to what they did ... and other too, not just them! Those were "keyboard players" ... !

Edited by moshkito - September 29 2012 at 15:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 19:34
If you want to check out a lot of modern keyboard ideas, check out 
www.regenerativemusic.net -- it's all keyboard  music.  Start with
Glass Electrode Solar System
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com