Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ozark Soundscape (and my other musical projects)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOzark Soundscape (and my other musical projects)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2012 at 12:55
LOL yep
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2012 at 13:26
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

My biggest piece of advice would be to try and write a few conventional songs first. They give you the basis of how a song works and the musical theory. From there you can take these ideas and warp and twist them until you have avant music created from the basis of musical theory, rather than straight from nothing. It will make your songs hold up on so many levels.

Can I just say it is really inspiring that you start so young on trying new things and making your own music? I wish I'd had the same exposure to more outward reaching music at your age. I was lucky enough to be proficient at musical theory and an instrument, and it's taken me 7 years to become a better classical compsoer. God knows how good you're going to be in that time!

Yea this. Nice post.

Though i understand your love for weird music Andrew, i would try making music with it as a influence instead of going full-blown avant and overreaching. 

Good luck with your endeavors.  
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2012 at 13:49
The first questions that come to making music (I think) are these: 

1) Do you care about what the audience thinks?
2) Do you really like what you make?

BTW, you are young. Keep playing those instruments that you have in your arsenal. You are not 21, like me (lucky b!@#%rd). You'll spend a buttload of time building your playing skills. There is no shame in learning from and practicing other people's stuff, borrowing ideas. Everyone borrows. 

Of course, you also have to deal with the fact that not everything a person makes sounds great. I used to experiments and only a few of those experiment sound worthwhile to me. 

And please, for the love of god, do not promote yourself. It's never in style. People will think you are self-centered beyond measure. 

As you see, I kind of suck at constructive thinking, but I hope you will take my criticism with grace, as Dean once remarked here, i.e. make something out of it. You'll get the hang of it in time.  

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

My biggest piece of advice would be to try and write a few conventional songs first. They give you the basis of how a song works and the musical theory. From there you can take these ideas and warp and twist them until you have avant music created from the basis of musical theory, rather than straight from nothing. It will make your songs hold up on so many levels.

Can I just say it is really inspiring that you start so young on trying new things and making your own music? I wish I'd had the same exposure to more outward reaching music at your age. I was lucky enough to be proficient at musical theory and an instrument, and it's taken me 7 years to become a better classical compsoer. God knows how good you're going to be in that time!

Yea this. Nice post.

Though i understand your love for weird music Andrew, i would try making music with it as a influence instead of going full-blown avant and overreaching. 

Good luck with your endeavors.  

Quite a few people started experimenting in their prime: ELO (at least that's what I've read), PF, etc. Some of the stuff worked, some just didn't. Some people, like Faust, TD, and Eno, have it in them - the ability to make interesting experimental music. Some people just don't have it. You wanna be like those guys, stick with it. 

If you lost all hope in the field of experimentation, I would seriously recommend starting writing some songs. If you emphasize melody as the dominant element in music, it will open so many doors for you. It will give you an opportunity to thing about the tackiness of music and/or its emotional depth. Again, there is no shame in sticking with the conventions. Avantgarde, of course, is just a tool for making conventional music somewhat unconventional. Keep in mind: even Brian Eno, a dude who can't play a single darn musical instrument, can/could write some really good songs, too.

If you persist in making music, I know you will succeed. Just figure out what you like and whether you want it in your music. PF experimented, yet not all of their experiments paid off. They also are not very well reputed in the songwriting field (i.e. forging solid melodies). But they freaking made it somehow. They could rock and they could create awesome atmospheres. 

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 12 2012 at 14:11
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2012 at 14:16
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Two very good questions. With my own music I made it for myself and made music that I wanted to listen to. Just looking at my LastFM scrobbled chart will show that I play my own music a lot and I don't care whether other people like it or not - sure it's nice when they do, and I joke about it when they don't - and at the end of the day, that's all we can do.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2012 at 14:20
^Yes. You have to enjoy what you create. I enjoyed the results of my attempts and my daughter loves them and plays them on her ipod.Cool
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2012 at 14:43
^ Your daughter? Can I hear it? (No kidding here.)
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2012 at 14:47

^ Your daughter? Can I hear it? (No kidding here.)

You should find  my three tunes here.

Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2012 at 17:06
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Two very good questions. With my own music I made it for myself and made music that I wanted to listen to. Just looking at my LastFM scrobbled chart will show that I play my own music a lot and I don't care whether other people like it or not - sure it's nice when they do, and I joke about it when they don't - and at the end of the day, that's all we can do.

I don't tend to think much of the opinions of the masses.  I don't want to look down on everyone's musical tastes, but when so many people have been fed mass-produced music for years, it's hard to adjust to listening to something more meaty.  My goal in making music is to glorify God and to create something that will have an effect on people beyond mere entertainment.  What I don't want to do, though, is ignore legitimate criticism, whomever it may come from.  You can't look down on someone's criticism just because you disagree with their tastes; you have to evaluate every criticism on it's own merits.

I do care what the audience thinks, insofar as I want them to like my music.  But if someone doesn't like it, it's not going to change what I do unless they have a legitimate criticism.  For example, "I think the cluttered nature of the piece buries the melody and reduces the expression" rather than, "it's too weird, I don't like it."
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 14:57
I actually enjoy a bit of this, especially tracks 1, 2, 10,  and 16. The first track could be somewhat similar to Einsturzende Neubauten's more melodic music, but the sound quality of the percussion and synths make it seem slightly amateurish, but there's no problem with the actual arrangement. If you get better music software, you could re-record it and I think it'd be really cool. The second track is my favorite though--absolutely beautiful.

Keep it up Thumbs Up
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 15:02
thanks, Alan
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 15:06

My biggest piece of advice would be to try and write a few conventional songs first.

Well, yes, I definitely will. I just do this avant off-beat stuff 'cause that's really all I know how to do at this point. It's easy if you have an ear for avant music, even with little musical training. But as I learn more music theory and get better at guitar I'll start doing conventional stuff, and then once I get even better, I'll experiment again, that time with more complex and challenging music.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 15:14
This was my first record :

JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 05:49
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

My biggest piece of advice would be to try and write a few conventional songs first.

Well, yes, I definitely will. I just do this avant off-beat stuff 'cause that's really all I know how to do at this point. It's easy if you have an ear for avant music, even with little musical training. But as I learn more music theory and get better at guitar I'll start doing conventional stuff, and then once I get even better, I'll experiment again, that time with more complex and challenging music.

And we shall look forward to it Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 17:56
Dear readers,
Your favorite band OZARK SOUNDSCAPE would like to announce the new OZARK SOUNDSCAPE album; “geosynchronous satellites”, which is to be released sometime in January 2013, at ozarksoundscape.bandcamp.com, and for you special few (you know who you are), on a homemade CD, pressed at OZARK SOUNDSCAPE headquarters.

“geosynchronous satellites” will feature seven new songs, including “A Song Fueled by Angst”, “It’s the 80s”, “Washed Away”, and more.

Thank you for investing you time into OZARK SOUNDSCAPE’S music, and happy holidays!

-         Andrew

Edited by smartpatrol - January 04 2013 at 16:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 18:30
Tracklisting:

1.A Song Fueled By Angst
2.Glad to be in the Midwest
3.Can't Do Nothin' About It
4.Pouring Rain
5.Washed Away (Jams Part IV)
6.Nothing Keeps You Up at Night
7.Runnin' Down This Hill
8.I Remember (II)
9.Sweet Imperfections
10.Utopia Lost, Movement 6
11.geosynchronous satellites
12.Once in a Lifetime Journey
13.It's the 80s

Edited by smartpatrol - January 04 2013 at 16:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 23:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 23:51

A short live film that shows off my live set right now (which I only play to family sense I don't do public concerts yet).
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2012 at 00:18
I actually liked "Symphony No. 1, Mvmt 4." I made my first demo "album" when I was your age, and while it was a lot more accessible, it wasn't near as interesting as what you've got here. A couple things I will tell you:

The "rules" of music theory are there to create a desired aesthetic product, not necessarily a basis on which all music is or should be based. I do very much agree, though, that you should learn basic music theory and try writing more conventional stuff to form a musical awareness of sorts, an awareness of what you are doing artistically with every detail in the music, the purpose for which they function, and how they affect your audience, how the piece as a whole affects your audience. This is very important in all music, especially music that defies peoples expectations. The best composers from Bach to Cage did this. This is not to say stop doing what you are doing. Keep experimenting and keep doing this stuff. But also experiment with conventional stuff. Also, try and transcribe songs and pieces you enjoy. With more complex pieces, research how their written. Try your hand at different compositional methods. Last thing, take your time creating. It can be a long process. Scott Walker had three albums that were over 10 years apart. I'm not saying it will take this long, but don't expect everything to be finished in five hours.

Anyways, don't be discouraged if people don't like your music. It takes a little bit to figure out what your doing, and what you want to do. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2012 at 00:33
Yeah, my upcoming album is a bit more accessible, less avant-garde.
And like you said, I defiantly need to learn more patience. I always rush stuff.
And I'm constantly learning more and more about composing and music theory.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 01:00
The new album is out!
Follow the link in my signature to listen!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>