Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe (Factually) Greatest Drummer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:01
Ha.....I  don't  have it onm my hard drive
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:04
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

In his defense I'm sure I have a bootleg where Phil Collins does a Ba-dum tish!   So I think Dean does old baldy a disservice.  So I guess that would make him the best drummer. 

Yeah, but Mangini could do 415 Ba-dum-tish's a minute!  WinkLOL

But that wouldn't be funny. Comedy is all about timing.

I would laugh if he did that...
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:05
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I checked, you're right -- just before "Musical Box".
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:09
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I checked, you're right -- just before "Musical Box".

There you go then - Phil Collins The (Factually) Best drummer in the World
Help me I'm falling!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:09
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

In his defense I'm sure I have a bootleg where Phil Collins does a Ba-dum tish!   So I think Dean does old baldy a disservice.  So I guess that would make him the best drummer. 
Aye - I've seen "The Musical Box" do it live as well - it's to highlight a Gabriel quip I think......
Fine rock drummer twas Philip Collins - WHO TOLD THE FOOKER HE COULD SING !!!!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:11
^he can.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:15
Phil Collins can rock my speakers any time, drums or no.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:15
The others?

Help me I'm falling!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:51
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I'm quite taken by the thought of getting Portnoy, Mangini, White, Bruford, Collins, Harrison, Bozzio, Peart, Palmer and Mason in a room and asking them to play a badum tish.

"Okay guys, what we need is a straight forward: Ba-Dum... Tish! so, okay, after 4: one... two... thr... what's that? No Mike, you won't be needing the gong for this, oh what! you need it anyway?... okay we'll wait while your drum tech sets it up... yes Carl, the crane has arrived and we'll be setting up your kit shortly... sorry Nick what did you say? yes, I think it is in common time... yes, that is the same as 4/4 time, yes I know it's only three hits but it's still 4/4 time, yes, I know 3 plus 4 is 7 but it's not 7/4 time it's 4/4time... well think of the 4th beat as a rest... pardon Mike? is the gong setup now? Oh, not yet but you want to know what a rest is... okay, guys can you tell Mike what a rest is? .... anyone? ... Terry? ... Gavin? Carl? Mike? Mike? Alan? Bill surely you... oh, okay so no one then ... it's when you don't hit a anything for a beat... why are you all looking at me like that? ... well yes, of course there's a point to employing a drummer to not hit a drum... yes I do know drums cost a lot of money that doesn't mean you have to hit all of them. Look, while we're waiting for Carl and Mike to have their kits set up can we run through it one more time... " <<twenty minutes later>> "yeah, okay... umm... that was good fellows but maybe just a little on the long side.. just smidgen too many notes perhaps and Neil you know what I'm going to say don't you?... yes way too much cowbell... hang on... can someone give Alan a nudge and wake him up? .... no Bill not like that and certainly not with a mallet, now can you help him back onto his stool please... what's that Terry? ... ah, it's called a throne, that little stool you sit on is called a throne .... okay, no I didn't know that, thank you for that, so would you mind helping Bill pick Alan up and help him to his 'throne'... thank you. Yes Gavin, you wanted to ask something... yes I think Carl is finished with the crane now, what do you want it for? ah right... upside down you say... and why's that? you're fed up with prog and want to audition for Slipknot... well we could try but we're not really equipped for it and I don't think Phil's suspenders are going to be good enough for a harness... hold it just a second would you please... Phil... Phil... erm, excuse me, hey, Phil... PHIL! PHILLIP COLLINS! ... yes, you... could I just stop you there for a minute... yeah you could say there is a slight problem... 'ba-do-diddly-do-bah-pah-pish' isn't quite the same is it... ba-dum tish ... that's it and that's all we want... ba dum tish... no 'do-diddlies' no 'bah-pah-pishes' just ba-dum tish and please Phil this time we'd like you to play it on the drums... please don't sing it again... look, can someone give Alan another nudge? .... no not you Bill, someone else this time... Alan keeps taking your lunch-money... oh not lunch-money, your meal-ticket... yes, if you say so I suppose he does... Okay then, are we all ready? Oh, you'd like a count in Mike, fair enough... can someone count us in... anyone... look someone here must know how to count to 4..."

qft
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 15:29
Collins vs. Mangini vs. Portnoy Badum Tish poll?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 16:19
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Collins vs. Mangini vs. Portnoy Badum Tish poll?
I'll bring the popcorn

-Kehlog Albran
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 16:32
I think we've already conducted it: Mangini does 415 badum tishes in a minute, Portnoy inserts polyrythmic fills bewteen bah, dum and tish where he manages to hit everything in his kit except the gong (which his poor drum tech will have to pack away in the lorry for the 1000th time without it ever being played), and Collins sings 'ba-do-diddly-do-bah-pah-pish' in his best white-soul voice.
What?
bensommer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 21:47
This is a hilarious post. That is all
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 22:17

Yeah...knocking Satriani is uncalled for.

Three words for you mate(and some bonus commentary):

Ah Via Musicom

Get with the program.

Oh yeah, three of us saw Eric Johnson open up for Satriani in the mid 1990's.
After being blown away by Eric's lead playing, songwriting and singing, we hung in there for Satriani.
All three of us looked at each other about an hour later and shook our heads after Joe:

Endlessly noodled while the bass player thumped one note into submission & new depths of boredom.
Joe pathetically tried to be cool, wearing a motorcycle hat and singing quite horribly "I like to ride...." yet
the hoodlum biker crowd (and Village People wannabees...) in the audience ate it up anyway.
Joe tried again to sing,but failed embarassingly this time a soft ballad. Truly a tragic event coming after Eric Johnson.  You should have been there.

Admit it, you are just cross with me about what I said about the Lord Cornwallis, The Royal Mail & Queen Mum, yes???Wink

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 22:29
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Jammit (app that lets you take certain instruments out of a song so that you can play along)

Ok, enough DT banter, or I will need to ask you why their singer has to always shriek at the top of his lungs all the time like he stashed a boom stand up his behind.... Getting back to drummers, which was the thread topic. I believe the lad who mentioned Alan White on YESSONGS should get top placement here.

Please put down your autographed DT bobble-head dolls for a second and play Close To The Edge from Yessongs and dig what Alan is doing.  Disciplined, fast AND wicked all at the same time.  Approve

Ah yes, Jammit, the single coolest app on the planet.  Why???

Because they have RUSH 2112 available, so one can play guitar to the real bass, drums & vocals.

NOW we are cooking with gas!

Cool
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 22:43
Go to school, come home and go straight to work, come home and take a shower, get on my computer and realize I just missed out on the action in the first four pages of the funniest thread on PA.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 22:49
dtfan likes trolling the community with his love of Dream Theater
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 23:35
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

dtfan likes trolling the community with his love of Dream Theater

I'm pretty sure the OP wasn't strictly meant to be taken seriously.  If it's trolling, then it must be a good side of trolling, because this thread is ridiculously funny.

A better example of trolling is when you passionately argue a point you don't even agree with in order to impress some girl on a forum, which I recently learned was the motivation of someone I was arguing with on a different site.

Everybody knows the factually greatest drummer is Mick Pointer, anyway.

Edited by Ambient Hurricanes - September 20 2012 at 23:37
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 23:48
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I'm quite taken by the thought of getting Portnoy, Mangini, White, Bruford, Collins, Harrison, Bozzio, Peart, Palmer and Mason in a room and asking them to play a badum tish.

"Okay guys, what we need is a straight forward: Ba-Dum... Tish! so, okay, after 4: one... two... thr... what's that? No Mike, you won't be needing the gong for this, oh what! you need it anyway?... okay we'll wait while your drum tech sets it up... yes Carl, the crane has arrived and we'll be setting up your kit shortly... sorry Nick what did you say? yes, I think it is in common time... yes, that is the same as 4/4 time, yes I know it's only three hits but it's still 4/4 time, yes, I know 3 plus 4 is 7 but it's not 7/4 time it's 4/4time... well think of the 4th beat as a rest... pardon Mike? is the gong setup now? Oh, not yet but you want to know what a rest is... okay, guys can you tell Mike what a rest is? .... anyone? ... Terry? ... Gavin? Carl? Mike? Mike? Alan? Bill surely you... oh, okay so no one then ... it's when you don't hit a anything for a beat... why are you all looking at me like that? ... well yes, of course there's a point to employing a drummer to not hit a drum... yes I do know drums cost a lot of money that doesn't mean you have to hit all of them. Look, while we're waiting for Carl and Mike to have their kits set up can we run through it one more time... " <<twenty minutes later>> "yeah, okay... umm... that was good fellows but maybe just a little on the long side.. just smidgen too many notes perhaps and Neil you know what I'm going to say don't you?... yes way too much cowbell... hang on... can someone give Alan a nudge and wake him up? .... no Bill not like that and certainly not with a mallet, now can you help him back onto his stool please... what's that Terry? ... ah, it's called a throne, that little stool you sit on is called a throne .... okay, no I didn't know that, thank you for that, so would you mind helping Bill pick Alan up and help him to his 'throne'... thank you. Yes Gavin, you wanted to ask something... yes I think Carl is finished with the crane now, what do you want it for? ah right... upside down you say... and why's that? you're fed up with prog and want to audition for Slipknot... well we could try but we're not really equipped for it and I don't think Phil's suspenders are going to be good enough for a harness... hold it just a second would you please... Phil... Phil... erm, excuse me, hey, Phil... PHIL! PHILLIP COLLINS! ... yes, you... could I just stop you there for a minute... yeah you could say there is a slight problem... 'ba-do-diddly-do-bah-pah-pish' isn't quite the same is it... ba-dum tish ... that's it and that's all we want... ba dum tish... no 'do-diddlies' no 'bah-pah-pishes' just ba-dum tish and please Phil this time we'd like you to play it on the drums... please don't sing it again... look, can someone give Alan another nudge? .... no not you Bill, someone else this time... Alan keeps taking your lunch-money... oh not lunch-money, your meal-ticket... yes, if you say so I suppose he does... Okay then, are we all ready? Oh, you'd like a count in Mike, fair enough... can someone count us in... anyone... look someone here must know how to count to 4..."

qft

😁👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊👊 ten fist punches to this!! This goddam hilarious!! Love it. Also I think you need the crane for terry Bozzio's drum kit. Lol sh*t is massive!!! Anyway gotta say that mike Portnoy is the best. Peart is runner up for sure.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 00:17
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Anyway gotta say that mike Portnoy is the best. Peart is runner up for sure.

It's not funny telling a joke twice. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>