44 [53.66%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 14:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^You don't like Can-Utility and the Coastliners Audun? That's without a doubt my favourite track off Foxtrot. An epic with all the pomp and imaginative turnovers delivered in just under 6 minutes.

I tried listening to Foxtrot again today.  It's certainly very good material but I can't seem to get excited about any of it.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 14:01
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^You don't like Can-Utility and the Coastliners Audun? That's without a doubt my favourite track off Foxtrot. An epic with all the pomp and imaginative turnovers delivered in just under 6 minutes.

I absolutely adore that track too. The closing minute is pure heaven...

Indeed - gets me every time, and like bloodnarfer mentioned, Phil is monstrously good on itBig smile One of my favourite tom bashers ever.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 14:05
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I tried listening to Foxtrot again today.  It's certainly very good material but I can't seem to get excited about any of it.

Maybe it's one of those infamous growers? I don't know......it was for me though. I got into Genesis via The Lamb and it took me ages to warm up to this one. Now it's on par with Lamb.
Conversely, you may wanna try Abacab on for size (I actually dig a couple of tracks on that one). 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 14:08

Maybe it's one of those infamous growers? I don't know......

I don't know either.  It's always possible that in 20 years I'll love it - stranger things have happened.

I'm just not that into this subgenre other than being an unabashed Yes fanboy, for whatever reason.

You know, is there anyone that is actually a fanboy of both Yes and Genesis?  I don't know if I've met one.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 14:16

Maybe it's one of those infamous growers? I don't know......

I don't know either.  It's always possible that in 20 years I'll love it - stranger things have happened.

I'm just not that into this subgenre other than being an unabashed Yes fanboy, for whatever reason.

You know, is there anyone that is actually a fanboy of both Yes and Genesis?  I don't know if I've met one.

I am far more of a Genesis fanboy than I am of Yes, although I love their selftitled to death. Relayer isn't too shabby either.....but folks who are equally infatuated by both? Hmmm I don't know. They do sound incredibly different though. 

Also, for folks who are more into the wackier side of prog - the one with the kitchen sink and atonality - you may wanna check out Kotebel. Their debut Ouroboros is a damn fine album and not your everyday symph prog with velvet and butter up to your neck.

- Douglas Adams
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 14:16
Very difficult. Both are Genesis' best albums, and both have masterpieces (Fifth of firth, Can-utility etc). I'll have to choose SEBTP for listenability. I just don't enjoy 20+ minute rock tracks that much anymore. 
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 15:29
Best thing on England is Epping forest. Full of fun catchy melodies. The rest of the album is good but lacks balls
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 18:02
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

My order is:

1. Foxtrot
  2. Nursery Cryme
  3. Trespass
  4. The Lamb Lies Down
  5. Selling England
  6. W & W
  7. A Trick
And I can't care less for the rest.

Iván

Interesting order of Genesis faves......
but you failed to mention Firth of Fifth from SEBTP which imho is one of the best songs they ever wrote.

Agree with this completely. Firth of fifth is IMO a paradigm of the progressive rock. I mean, if someone would ask me "What is progressive rock", I would say: "Take this and listen", and of course I would give him/her Firth of fifth.
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 18:07
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Hi there! Both of these classics are very evenly rated but I just wanted to see how even they are in this poll. Generally the favourite is Selling England but I personally prefer Foxtrot Tongue Interesting to see what you think though

As always, thanks for any feedback Smile

Hey Xonty, the poll is really succesful, even with a same one two months ago, so congratulations. I think that the key is in the poll title. By the way you are confronting the best with the best (unless IMO). Thumbs Up 
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 18:11
This to me is a poll between Supper's Ready and Dancing with the Moonlit Knight. Of which Supper's Ready wins.

When I first got into prog those were the two bands I obsessed about the most (and Gentle Giant after them). My LastFM charts have never really recovered, with the top spots being taken by these bands, by a wide margin...Gentle Giant used to be #3 but a few other bands have climbed past them in the intervening years.

Unfortunately I have grown out of Genesis a lot more than Yes (I think in their prog day they wrote a lot of great songs but only one wholly great album - The Lamb) so I am a bit embarassed that after all these years they continue to sit so near the top. But, it is hard to listen to a band that many times! I don't know how I ever did it in the first place.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 18:14

I classify myself as primarily a Genesis fanboy, but I sure dig me some Yes!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 18:14
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

My order is:

1. Foxtrot
  2. Nursery Cryme
  3. Trespass
  4. The Lamb Lies Down
  5. Selling England
  6. W & W
  7. A Trick

Iván

but you failed to mention Firth of Fifth from SEBTP which imho is one of the best songs they ever wrote.

Agree with this completely. Firth of fifth is IMO a paradigm of the progressive rock. I mean, if someone would ask me "What is progressive rock", I would say: "Take this and listen", and of course I would give him/her Firth of fifth.

Yep, I forgot Firth of Fifth, the song with the most moving guitar solo in Prog.

PS: Im a fan (not a fanboy) of Genesis, but sadly thanks to Jon Anderson I don't listen Yes anymore, simply can't stand his voice.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 19 2014 at 18:16

genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 18:20

Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

My order is:

1. Foxtrot
  2. Nursery Cryme
  3. Trespass
  4. The Lamb Lies Down
  5. Selling England
  6. W & W
  7. A Trick

Iván

Yep, I forgot Firth of Fifth, the song with the most moving guitar solo in Prog.

PS: Im a fan (not a fanboy) of Genesis, but sadly thanks to Jon Anderson I don't listen Yes anymore, simply can't stand his voice.

Well I suspected that you forgot, but tastes are tastes you know. Your definition about the guitar solo is just forceful (contundente I mean, you understand). I would add the piano intro, another trademark of prog rock.

Anderson voice went downhill in the last years (or last decade), but I can't stand when he sings all the time without empty to instrumental sections (for example in the epics of The Ladder). As a paradox, his voice sounds great in the Rabin era (unless for me)

Edited by genbanks - February 19 2014 at 18:23
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 20:48
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

I classify myself as primarily a Genesis fanboy, but I sure dig me some Yes!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 20:51
Genesis - The most productive and prolific prog/pop prog band of all time

Yes- Unbelievable albums, I give Talk quite a few spins and still love it. And Fly from Here was a welcome surprise

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 21:57

I have always been a bit ambivalent about that song. It's got some really enjoyable moments, but there's "something" that's always kind of bothered me about it. However, the new version on "Genesis Revisited II" somehow fixed it, and I really love that version (as it turns out, that "something" was surely Gabriel singing it).
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 21:58
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Yes- Unbelievable albums, I give Talk quite a few spins and still love it. And Fly from Here was a welcome surprise

Agree in all and Talk is a great album. Endless dream a masterpiece
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 01:28

The Ladder , Keystudio and Magnification stand up pretty well also. Yes were only really 'bad for a period in the mid to late eighties when nearly everyone was equally bad as well it seemed
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 02:18
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The Ladder , Keystudio and Magnification stand up pretty well also. Yes were only really 'bad for a period in the mid to late eighties when nearly everyone was equally bad as well it seemed

The 80's were quite bad for old prog bands, although I still think 90125 is one of Yes's best albums.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 03:07
^ I must be in the minority perhaps but bands like Yes, Tull, Genesis still produced the goods even with the 80's feel. Drama, 90125 and Big Generator imo great albums. Same could be said for Abacab, Mama, parts of IT , Jethro Tull - A, Broadsword & the Beast, Crest of a Knave

Anyhow wandering off track, but who expected bands to sound the same as what they produced in the 70's?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>