Topic ClosedCovid-19 and the madness of crowds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 73>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:29
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The lyrics of the "Three Little Birds" song always spring to mind when I think of the Chinese "panic-demic."

Sadly everything is not going to be alright for a lot of people.
Truth.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 13:04
Yeah, my best friend's mother-in-law has permanent intestine damage due to covid, nothing will ever be alright again for her.

Edited by Easy Money - October 25 2020 at 13:11
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 20:03
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Yeah, my best friend's mother-in-law has permanent intestine damage due to covid, nothing will ever be alright again for her.

Sorry to hear that.  Lots of people have reported pulmonary fibrosis after recovering from covid.  This is not like malaria, cholera, etc.  The suffering MAY not stop with the acute bout of infection. But yeah, it's just a flu, just a common cold, etc etc.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 11:53

Great news for anyone living in the U.K:- The total number of registered deaths in England for August 2020 was 2,060 less than the five year monthly average and the lowest since regular monthly records of deaths began at the beginning of the 21st century. In addition, Covid-19 has now been downgraded to only the 24th most common cause of death in England, which I believe is good reason for optimism.
The lyrics of the "Three Little Birds" song always spring to mind when I think of the Chinese "panic-demic."

Sorry bud, your article was published back in September. Although your numbers went down in the summer, they are now going back up: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8880115/Britain-recording-Covid-19-deaths-million-people-day-US.html

Stay safe and don't forget your mask. Smile

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 15:55
Regarding the title of this thread, I wonder if everyone's aware that Douglas Murray's book "The Madness of Crowds" was published last year and was unrelated to the current Chinese flu panic-demic. Ermm
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 16:22

Regarding the title of this thread, I wonder if everyone's aware that Douglas Murray's book "The Madness of Crowds" was published last year and was unrelated to the current Chinese flu panic-demic. Ermm

Yes, I was aware.

I don’t think Andy was specifically referring to this book when he started the thread, but if he was, then I think the analogy is pretty appropriate.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 17:46
This is not a shot at you Steve, but looking at the general population, I find the people who are complaining about this the most are also the people who are perpetuating it the most, oh the irony.

Edited by Easy Money - October 27 2020 at 17:46
jjuliajul11 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 15:31
As soon as the covid-19 appeared, I felt very scared. I was very worried about the health of my family and mine. That's why I had anxiety. I didn't know how to deal with it. Once on Canada Druds I found good advice. I started to communicate more with family and friends on positive topics, I was engaged in my hobby - drawing, listening to nice music. I also realized that there are things that cannot be changed. It really helped me. I feel great but I`m wary of quarantine

Edited by jjuliajul11 - December 28 2020 at 02:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 16:10
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I certainly agree with you Steve. This type of polically driven farce is understandbly unexcusible. What are they doing in stores and shops? Roping off the bog rolls from the furniture polish?
Yes, that just about sums up the ridiculous situation in Wales, where clothes are now deemed to be "non-essential items" in ludicrous Welsh retail restrictions.  Wacko

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 16:14
^ What a wuss, he left his underwear on.

At this point I know personally close to 20 who have gotten it, two were hospitalized, and of those two one has permanent damage to her internal organs.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 16:18

"The lockdown in Wales is psychotic and absolutely deranged!"

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 00:22
Well yesterday the official scientific advisers to our devolved government (the Welsh equivalent of SAGE) asked the public to cancel their plans for Christmas and stay locked up in their own little hovels. Personally, I don’t care much for Christmas, but if they think that edict is going to be widely respected, then they really are pissing in the wind. The politicians aren’t being as stark just yet, but Gething (our Health Minister) was looking particularly hangdog on the news.

Hospitals are filling up again, infections are rising, and “our health service” is in danger of falling apart. Strange how they don’t remark particularly on just how sh*te that health service is. Even an infection rate of 400 in every 100,000 is only 0.4% of the population (a figure you don’t hear on the news). Of these, only a very tiny proportion will require hospitalisation. We are basically all paying for years of underfunded healthcare, across the Western world, not just here.

Oh, and the news this morning says that 10% of health staff are either off sick, or isolating with the lurgy. Many of those staff have been treated like dirt for many years, and that, to me, is a far more plausible explanation for them being off work than all of them having the lurg. Either that, or hospitals are cesspits of infection, which is also deeply concerning.

Actually, talking about that, a 62 year old chap from our neighbouring village died last week, and as he contracted Covid in intensive care ward of the hospital, he is counted as a coronavirus victim on the official statistics. What those stats don’t tell you is that he had a heart condition for years, and had recently suffered badly from gangrene. He was carted into hospital for an operation, and had to be resuscitated during the op, after which the poor chap got sepsis, which is deadly serious. So, he really wasn’t a well bunny anyway, and the official statistics should not, in my opinion, show him as a virus victim. I’m sure getting it didn’t help a great deal, but that was not the full story.

As an example of the silly rules in place here now, I can pop down the pub at lunchtime to have pie and chips with a drink of coke, and feel perfectly safe from Covid, but only as long as I finish by 6.00 p.m. when they, and restaurants/cafes, have to close. However, I am banned from having a pint of beer with said gastronomic treat, as that, apparently, would increase my chances of dying from the lurg. Go figure.

My Dad lives on the Welsh side of the border. My sister lives 10 minutes away on the English side. My Dad, even if he was so inclined, cannot go out for a pint in his village. However, if he were to drive to where my sister lives, which is in Tier 2 restrictions in England, he could have a pint of beer until closing time, but only if it is with a “substantial meal”, although government have confirmed that a scotch egg is a substantial meal.

It is this type of micromanagement by government of people’s lives that so grates, and it is really starting to become very unpopular in the wider population, and not just ingrates such as I. There is only one thing worse than an authoritarian government. That is an incompetent authoritarian government. When we scream out for such people to save us, then we need to be extremely careful what we wish for. Hong Kong Phooey for President, anyone?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 02:33
Funny how nobody seems to catch the flu..and almost all flu-like symptoms are equalled with corona.
How easy is it to control a large number of people? Fairly easy. All it takes is something they’re afraid of.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 03:41
Welcome back David. Hug

Anyway also in Japan there are very few flu patients yet ... wearing a mask and washing hands are good for both viral infections.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 06:02
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Well yesterday the official scientific advisers to our devolved government (the Welsh equivalent of SAGE) asked the public to cancel their plans for Christmas and stay locked up in their own little hovels. Personally, I don’t care much for Christmas, but if they think that edict is going to be widely respected, then they really are pissing in the wind. The politicians aren’t being as stark just yet, but Gething (our Health Minister) was looking particularly hangdog on the news.

Hospitals are filling up again, infections are rising, and “our health service” is in danger of falling apart. Strange how they don’t remark particularly on just how sh*te that health service is. Even an infection rate of 400 in every 100,000 is only 0.4% of the population (a figure you don’t hear on the news). Of these, only a very tiny proportion will require hospitalisation. We are basically all paying for years of underfunded healthcare, across the Western world, not just here.

Oh, and the news this morning says that 10% of health staff are either off sick, or isolating with the lurgy. Many of those staff have been treated like dirt for many years, and that, to me, is a far more plausible explanation for them being off work than all of them having the lurg. Either that, or hospitals are cesspits of infection, which is also deeply concerning.

Actually, talking about that, a 62 year old chap from our neighbouring village died last week, and as he contracted Covid in intensive care ward of the hospital, he is counted as a coronavirus victim on the official statistics. What those stats don’t tell you is that he had a heart condition for years, and had recently suffered badly from gangrene. He was carted into hospital for an operation, and had to be resuscitated during the op, after which the poor chap got sepsis, which is deadly serious. So, he really wasn’t a well bunny anyway, and the official statistics should not, in my opinion, show him as a virus victim. I’m sure getting it didn’t help a great deal, but that was not the full story.

As an example of the silly rules in place here now, I can pop down the pub at lunchtime to have pie and chips with a drink of coke, and feel perfectly safe from Covid, but only as long as I finish by 6.00 p.m. when they, and restaurants/cafes, have to close. However, I am banned from having a pint of beer with said gastronomic treat, as that, apparently, would increase my chances of dying from the lurg. Go figure.

My Dad lives on the Welsh side of the border. My sister lives 10 minutes away on the English side. My Dad, even if he was so inclined, cannot go out for a pint in his village. However, if he were to drive to where my sister lives, which is in Tier 2 restrictions in England, he could have a pint of beer until closing time, but only if it is with a “substantial meal”, although government have confirmed that a scotch egg is a substantial meal.

It is this type of micromanagement by government of people’s lives that so grates, and it is really starting to become very unpopular in the wider population, and not just ingrates such as I. There is only one thing worse than an authoritarian government. That is an incompetent authoritarian government. When we scream out for such people to save us, then we need to be extremely careful what we wish for. Hong Kong Phooey for President, anyone?

I can't help but think that Mark Drakeford has made a number of bad decisions because he feels the need to be different from the rest of the UK for political reasons and its going to bite him, but more importantly, the population of Wales, on the backside. All IMHO of course.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 06:16
I don't know where the flu came into this but I shouldn't be surprised. But let me give a small factoid here. We in India have never had a flu problem. We just don't. But we ARE having a covid pandemic same as everywhere else. I know young fellows who came down badly with him and still have breathing issues months after getting it. But OK, keep believing it's just a flu made out as something else for some hidden agenda that would involve destroying millions of businesses as well as city and state budgets, whatever helps people get through the day. I am writing this from a covid center myself but I am a mostly asymptomatic case, nothing to worry. Except that, uh, had I not tested, my father who has hypertension could have got it and there's no saying what could have happened then.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 06:39
These are the  latest figures on mortality rates in England and Wales from the Office of National Statistics on the government's own website:- ons.gov.uk

Main Points

1. In August 2020, there were 34,750 deaths registered in England, *2,060 deaths fewer* than the five-year average (2015 to 2019) for August; in Wales, there were 2,379 deaths registered, *116 deaths fewer* than the five-year average for August.

2. The coronavirus (COVID-19) did not feature in the top ten leading causes of death in August 2020, in England or Wales. In England, COVID-19 was the *24th* most common cause of death and in Wales it was the *19th* most common cause of death, for deaths registered in August 2020.

3. The age-standardised mortality rate of deaths in August due to COVID-19 was *7.2 per 100,000 persons* in England compared with *11.0 per 100,000 persons* in Wales; in both England and Wales, the COVID-19 mortality rate continued to decline for the fourth consecutive month.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 07:00
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

This is all becoming quite silly now. In California, which has the strictest of covid restrictions, the virus rates have been spiraling out of control and they are now implementing even stricter restrictions like banning all outdoor dinning. It's time for the populous to make up their own minds on this one. I see nothing wrong in wearing masks, but this is going overboard and is going to sink the restaurant industry in that state, as well as others that follow their lead. Their must be some kind of livable middle ground in all this.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 08:08

These are the  latest figures on mortality rates in England and Wales from the Office of National Statistics on the government's own website:- ons.gov.uk

Main Points

1. In August 2020, there were 34,750 deaths registered in England, *2,060 deaths fewer* than the five-year average (2015 to 2019) for August; in Wales, there were 2,379 deaths registered, *116 deaths fewer* than the five-year average for August.

2. The coronavirus (COVID-19) did not feature in the top ten leading causes of death in August 2020, in England or Wales. In England, COVID-19 was the *24th* most common cause of death and in Wales it was the *19th* most common cause of death, for deaths registered in August 2020.

3. The age-standardised mortality rate of deaths in August due to COVID-19 was *7.2 per 100,000 persons* in England compared with *11.0 per 100,000 persons* in Wales; in both England and Wales, the COVID-19 mortality rate continued to decline for the fourth consecutive month.

Why are you only quoting data from the month of August? Where is the data from September to now?
----------
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 08:14
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I don't know where the flu came into this but I shouldn't be surprised. But let me give a small factoid here. We in India have never had a flu problem. We just don't. But we ARE having a covid pandemic same as everywhere else. I know young fellows who came down badly with him and still have breathing issues months after getting it. But OK, keep believing it's just a flu made out as something else for some hidden agenda that would involve destroying millions of businesses as well as city and state budgets, whatever helps people get through the day. I am writing this from a covid center myself but I am a mostly asymptomatic case, nothing to worry. Except that, uh, had I not tested, my father who has hypertension could have got it and there's no saying what could have happened then.

Very good points. I'm sorry you caught this thing. I hope your case stays asymptomatic and that your recovery is smooth.
----------
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 73>