Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 119>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 08:21
Rest in peace Matti Nykanen the greatest ski jumper of all time. The only Skii Jumper to have won at four of the largest events in skii jumping, 3 olympick gold, 1 world championship, skii flying world championship and 3 times Austrian-German Four Hill Tournament. 45 world-cup vicotiries. Hope is that hes rememberd more for hes athlete career than hes life ass an alchoholick.

Edited by Icarium - February 05 2019 at 08:22
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 11:29
Bruno Ganz died yesterday.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 13:57
Gerard Koerts, keyboard player of Earth & Fire, passed away yesterday at 71.

Edited by someone_else - February 21 2019 at 13:58
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 15:24
RIP Peter Tork, you loveable dumbo.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 15:51
I went to a screening of "Head," at the Fox Venice Theatre in, I think, 1974?  Peter Tork was there as well as Bob Rafelson, discussing the film before and after with the audience.  He was very gracious.  He also played at my  local Warner Theater in 1973, in San Pedro, where a friend of mine (who now works doing sound at Alva's in San Pedro, that hosts many prog shows) met him and said he was very pleasant with everyone working that show.  A good friend who was a writer and editor at Creem Magazine had nothing but good things to say about him and the other Monkees lads.  Funny Stephen Stills connection to them as well, in the music history books.  Fun for me, he was in an episode where he bargained with The Devil to be able to play the harp on the show.  Sad to see another one go this year already.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 18:36
Loved the Monkees TV show as a kid, but now appreciate the music of them.  Will be playing some Monkees this weekend.

RIP Peter Tork
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 19:23
Thorkelson, my third favorite Monkee.   RIP.

Edited by Atavachron - February 22 2019 at 21:00
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 03:25
Another post lamenting the death of Peter Tork.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 18:24
I don't know who took this photo, although I've tried researching.  But it's a great photo.  If anyone finds out where it's from let me know, also if it's not OK for me to post it.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 20:58
^ Don't know the photo but if I had to guess I'd say it would be the L.A. hills, possibly Stephen's or David Crosby's home, sometime between 1966 and 1970.   Tork looks very young here despite the beard and so it's hard to tell if it's pre- or post- Monkees.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 23:35
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Another post lamenting the death of Peter Tork.
Before I went nuts for prog I was a Monkees fan.  I never knew the whole story of the band until I dug a little deeper.  They were originally pre fab and hey their backer artists, if that what they can be called, got them attention with some hits.  I utterly admire that two of them had been in bands before.  But as a kid I totally enjoyed the reruns even if the second season wasn't their best.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 01:10
^ Loved the old show in reruns, I think it was originally aired on Saturday mornings with cartoons. 

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 00:16
Rest in Peace Ross Lowell the inventor of gaffer tape.

Invented for easen the work for audio and visual technicians. An invention that has eveolved to become the standard failproov if something is broken.

"If it can't be fixed by Gaffer it aint broken".
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 14:48
Rest In Peace Mr "Andrew Preview" (Andre Previn), a great conductor and participant of one of the greatest comedy sketches of all time at the age of 89.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 08:24
RIP Keith Flint of "The Prodigy". Probably not the kind of band/project many prog fans listen to, but they have some very very powerful stuff that I like a lot.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 08:26
Sad to hear it confirmed as a suicide but R.I.P. Keith Flint of The Prodigy.
Blasting (what little I have of them) and it seems so unlike him.
But who really knows, eh?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 09:11
Yeah, I'm saddened to hear of the Fire Starters demise. Very sad. The Prodigy kicked ass in the 90's. I saw them a few times. Great live act. Keith was such a character, and it was good to see these characters in the charts, and on the TV and very much household names.

The trend in pop music these days, seems to be to keep a lid on things, rather than blowing the lid off and causing a stir and outrage. It's all soy latte's, social media and being nice and humble these days. Sad state of affairs. Where are the characters?? Where's the Alice Cooper's, the Meatloaf's, the Freddie's the Bowie's, the Arthur Brown's, Johnny Rotten's and Keith Flint's??
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 09:32
Kieth Flint is a hero to me and the Prodigy is among my favourites.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 10:29
RIP Keith Flint.

I remember standing in a bar in 1997 talking to friends. The usual fodder of music videos was playing on the TV and we weren't taking much notice.

Then a video came on of a crazy man with green spiky hair and piercings going crazy in what looked like a sewer.

We all stopped talking and stood with open mouths watching the video of "Firestarter"

I will never forget that video or that moment. Keith certainly stirred things up. Sad to hear of his passing in that way.
Songs cast a light on you
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2019 at 14:50
Sad to hear about Keith.. Prodigy was not my kind of thing but he definitely stood out in an otherwise fairly bland period of popular music history.. I understand that he had a kind character and was an animal and nature lover..

I heard that Andy Anderson, formerly drummer of Steve Hillage's band, the Cure, Nik Turner etc, passed away at the end of last month after a battle with cancer.. he was a fantastic drummer with a light, sparkling touch..

RIP Keith and Andy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 119>