Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiohead: What happened?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Disparate Times View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disparate Times Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 08:23
A case could be made that radio head helped create the prog scene we have today. At the time, ironically, punk rock was hitting the mainstream again. People of my age group, 30ish, were hearing progressive rock for the first time. The comparisons to pink Floyd may have led people to discovering pink Floyd which created a modern audience for prog.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 08:31
^ one reason OK Computer perhaps is lauded as it is... not only was it just a frickin great album.  One could say it was a very important album.. a KEY album... in the development of what has become the 2nd golden age of progressive rock... and given us what we have today. Where moving forward is more important that aping the past. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disparate Times Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 08:33
Looking back on it i kinda wish i had went with radio head back than instead of the punk rock
Oh well better late than never
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 08:42
ehhh..  as I like to tell myself... what you are today is in part a reflection of where you have been.

I like to think I can appreciate prog more.. .as well as recognize its shortcomings all the more for not being simply a 'prog fan' but a music fan.  Prog is merely a style of music.. no better or worse than any other. I do think its high points pretty much top the highs on any other style.. but make no mistake.. its lows are damn near lower than any type of music.  LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 08:43

Radiohaed had a strong touch of emo music, isn't?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disparate Times Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 08:52
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ehhh..  as I like to tell myself... what you are today is in part a reflection of where you have been.

I like to think I can appreciate prog more.. .as well as recognize its shortcomings all the more for not being simply a 'prog fan' but a music fan.  Prog is merely a style of music.. no better or worse than any other. I do think its high points pretty much top the highs on any other style.. but make no mistake.. its lows are damn near lower than any type of music.  LOL

Agreed prog at its worst bleep bloop whaap
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 12:35
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Radiohaed had a strong touch of emo music, isn't?

Emotional =! Emo
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 13:23
^ Imo, they were influenced by Emo music as a genre. 

Edited by Svetonio - August 24 2015 at 00:17
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 15:56
^ No way. Tell me how Radiohead sound either like the old school hardcore punk derived emo like such:

... or the '00's era third wave/pop emo that didn't even exist when the band recorded anything before "Hail To The Thief":

brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 19:12
Radiohead seems like a pretty divisiveband for Prog, a lot of people don't like considering them a Prog band. Maybe some people don't have much time for them.  It seems Radiohead demands a lot of time, needs you to get into their groove, for what they want to deliver.  If you like that groove, then the reward pays off.   A lot of time sampling them, the payoff wasn't what I was looking for, now listening to OK Computer, it grows on me a little.  It's always funny how to me some bands just come into my life when the time is right for them. 

Interesting to compare the singer to Peter Hammil.   Seem like they are around the same territory.  I'm hearing a little of defeatism, aren't I, like in "Climbing Up The Walls"?

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 22:29
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

One of the best songs I've ever heard.
symphonicman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote symphonicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2015 at 18:43
What happened to Radiohead? Well time passed, that's all. Also How to Disappear Completely is one of my favourites by them.
Master James of St. George.
Of the fields and the sky.
He used to build castles of stone, steel, and blood.
But lines get broken down.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 01:16
But did they disappear completely?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 01:52
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

But did they disappear completely?
LOL

Yea, we should go back to the topic i.e. to the OP's question.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 01:54
What is "emo music"? Are we in 2007 again? WTF

While being somewhat "current-ish" with Porcupine Tree latest output, Swilson degraded into aping old prog with his recent solo works. They sound modern only on the surface, but the material itself screams 70's prog if you listen to the actual melodies/harmonies and notice the songs' structures.

On the other hand, if we still mean "progressive-thinking" by saying "prog" (not only referring to the greats of the once-revolutionary genre), Radiohead is miles ahead, even with their questionable post-2003 material. Having said that, I must also admit I'm not a fan of Yorke-Greenwood-lead collective at all and consider them to be one of the most overhyped bands ever. But I'm more excited anticipating what they're about to offer, than getting another Swilson record (that I might enjoy, nevertheless), which is 100% predictable genre-worship with his signature twist (that had grown old years ago) - especially now, when he's getting tons of new fans through his take on classic prog cliches. I simply can't imagine him somehow changing that, which would mean losing most of his conservative fanbase (though I'm pretty sure he's a capable musician, just listen to his "other" side-projects), while Radiohead could do whatever they effing what, and they know that
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 02:38
The great Steve Wilson ! A Cliche ! OF COURSE ! Big smile
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 02:38
Imo, Radiohead is worthy band mostly 'cause they were released Kid A which was for alt.rock the same important thing as e.g. London Calling was for punk-rock or what Sgt. Peppers was for 'classic rock'.

Edited by Svetonio - August 25 2015 at 02:39
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 05:44
why alt.rock? why genres? why trying to pigeonhole the band that constantly changes from one album to another (starting from "OK Computer"), while Swilson moans from the same old hole he'd been diggin since "In Absentia"?

Seriously, apart from how much who likes what: does "Hail To The Thief" -> "In Rainbows" -> "The King of Limbs" mutations sound as narrow as indistinguishable, minor differences between, say, "Grace For Drowning" and "Hand.Cannot.Erase"?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 10:05
Most members have focused on everything about Radiohead except an exploration of their current music. I've read some posts that say it's because they're not really prog, to even more sillier explanations like they're alt. rock.

The simple explanation is that Radiohead has gotten less listener friendly due to an expanded electronic experimental sound which just doesn't appeal to many people. All of this other exposition has been a silly waste of time, I'm afraid. So, kudos to those that have focused on the music.

Edited by SteveG - August 25 2015 at 10:25
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 11:07
Honestly I don't like their "current music" specially their last album and EP but IMO RH is a impressive band and I like many of their songs and albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>