Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost Overrated Prog Bands Of All Time Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 05:38
No band or artist is over rated. Usually quite the reverse.

The over or under rating (where is the balance? (Rhe.) is done by the audience and is actually criticizing  - the audience. The audience are the subject and anyone, the object may or may not be overrated. The only objective constant is you, the listener, critic, fan, consumer, concert attendee. The object is the ball in play, the game is rating, and if you have an opinion that someone disagrees with then you are wrong. Thus some one is overrated despite not actually being involved in the process except to be kicked, passed and other wise knocked into touch.

Or, to be blunt ,if someone says someone is over rated they are talking about you. They may say they talk about Band X (...) or whoever but that all changes all the time. Only the over rating is perpetual.

Luqueasaur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 16:04
Steven
Goddamn
Wilson
Aside from the trippy psychedelic PT era, he has done nothing really worth so much praise. Sure, he might've made songs that appealed to many people, but he's not a genius like people so frequently claim.
I also am not a big fan of ELP, but then again, all I did was listen to Tarkus (LOVED it) and BSS (meh).
Also, Opeth. Their tech death metal is really awesome, but they're MUCH, MUCH FAR from the amazing deity status people put them. 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 16:14
Rush, of course.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 02:26
ELP is the first band I think of if I ever wanted to turn someone off to progressive rock immediately.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 02:37
Probably ELP, because GG wasn´t as respected in the seventies as many others.
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 17:39
seems like this thread has turned into an ELP bashing.
I find it astonishing on a prog fan website.ELP was always one of my favorite prog bands.Overrated,hardly
I still find their music more enjoyable than most other prog of any era.But to each his or her own.
There’s a lot of music here I try to give a fair shake to but get bored of shortly
Never get bored with Brain Salad Surgery or their early albums.
I’m not the worlds biggest prog head and by no means a prog elisitst but really ELP overrated!! ??

Edited by Jzrk - February 27 2018 at 17:40
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 18:19
Originally posted by Chilltoss Chilltoss wrote:

Perhaps ELP. They do have their moments with songs like "Lucky Man" or "The Sheriff", however the rest of their work is filled with pretentious, self-indulgent, and bombastic noodling(half the bands on your list are probably similar in this regard, but I've yet to listen to them and don't plan to). Look no further than Karn Evil 9. ab-so-lute rub-bish   

there is in my opinion no such thing as "noodling". it is just a derogatory term used by people who can't appreciate certain musical passages

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 19:36
love these threads...  proof again that ELP is the most underrated prog band.  Who cares if you don't like them.

they.. along with Yes.. were the face of prog and still are today like it or not...and did as much.. or more than anyone to create it, influence it, and popularize it. And pound for pound were probably its more talented group.

Like greatest rock keyboardist ever.. and not even close.
One of the greatest of all rock drummers and by pure talent.. might have been the best.
Then there is Greg Lake.. horriblely underrated as a musician. I do recall Fripp saying Lake was more talented that he was.. and Squire saw Lake as an equal on the bass. Then there is his voice.. not just prog's single greatest vocalist.. but right with Justin Heyword in the minds of many of being considered ROCK's greatest vocalist. There is a reason Lake got pussy every where he went.. it sure as hell wasn't for his looks hahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 21:34
I certainly don't think ELP is 'underrated'...their first 4 albums are all rated over 4 stars........
as far as overrated prog bands....I don't feel any of them  truly  classify as overrated since a wide variety of people( at least here) have voted , though I do think some individual albums by some of the well known prog bands are overrated.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 22:42
Originally posted by crispytreats crispytreats wrote:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/WithACloud/the-most-overrated-prog-bands-ever/

So what do you guys think Tongue?

that list is BS, and this time BS is not short for Black Sabbath. :)

Edited by Cristi - February 28 2018 at 01:40
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 22:49
No, ELP really haven´t been underrated at all. Of course they got lot of mocks after the middle seventies, but so did all the progbands, even Pink Floyd. And when these days here seem to be many who liked ELP, it´s one proof it has never been underrated. There are many really much greater progbands from the seventies really few still respect. I think the main problem to me in ELP is Emerson. He has always been the one, who wanted to show every album how skillfull he is. Also, he had a really bad taste of synth sounds, if he had just stayed in the organ and piano, ELP albums would have been much more better. Greg Lake is the main reason why I listen ELP albums. His voice is absolutely great, also love his playing, also he was the one who kept on doing shorter, melodic pieces in ELP albums.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 01:27
Evryone deserves the attention it gets.
There was a period I really loathed Radiohead, Tool, Muse etc.
But that's because I was in a bad place and struggling with my inner demons.

I must say that bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica are musically speaking not my cup of tea, and I can't understand that people think they are great musicians, but I understand the appeal.
And on the other hands, big labels backing them up, with lots of merchandise.

I think that's the same with progrock. The bands with the big labels backing them up (Pink Floyd, Marillion, ELP, etc.) will always get more attention.
But hey, it's the day and age of the internet. So anyone can listen to anything they like anytime of the day.
I haven't heard a musical note I didn't choose myself for more than 2 decades.
Anything I listen to (even if it's drab) is of my own chosing.

That being said. I sometimes feel that Steven Wilson is a bit idolized too much.
I find nothing special about him, although I like Porcupine Tree and his remixes are kind of good.
It's just another human being, and not the first one remixing albums.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 01:53
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

they.. along with Yes.. were the face of prog and still are today like it or not...and did as much.. or more than anyone to create it, influence it, and popularize it. And pound for pound were probably its more talented group.

...ELP the face of prog AND its most talented group? Now I've heard everything Cool

I certainly wouldn't say ELP are underrated at all.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:14
I'd say ELP are one of those bands that enjoy about the correct amount of public esteem. Loved by some for their virtuosity, innovation, exuberance, showmanship and vast influence on subsequent prog. Despised by others for their lack of taste, shameless bombast, inclusion of horribly embarassing songs like Benny the Bouncer on almost every album, and tendency to put out overblown hogwash like Works Vol. 1.

And the thing is, both those groups are right
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 03:27
ELP transcended the genre - they brought jazz into prog and probably were the most successful band to do so.  They were actually exciting!!  The ELP bashing reminds me of the time in the late 70s when us ELP fans had to put up with the high priests of punk telling us that they were crap.  Yet, for example, 'Welcome Back My Friends' went to 4 on Billboard and 'Tarkus' was a number 1 UK album - not many prog bands can make similar claims...
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 05:50
I seem to be in a minority who considers overrated a useful term. Related to music I usually use it to describe two very different kinds of albums or bands: 

1. The most easily accessible and easy to locate (or shoved down out throats) that according to me are overrated as "best ever" or "genius" because millions of listeners simply doesn't know about all the much better alternatives. Such as:

Dark Side of the Moon (although I kind of like most of it)
Kind of Blue (see above)
Dream Theater  
Mahavishnu Orchestra (kind of like them a little as well)

2. Obscure cult albums or collectors items that (once again according to me) has built a reputation as an overlooked gem/the holy grail based on obscurity and inaccessibility alone. 

And I consider all the bands in WITHACLOUD's list except Egg to be overrated (see first example why and in what way). 

Edited by Saperlipopette! - February 28 2018 at 06:04
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 11:22
Originally posted by Chilltoss Chilltoss wrote:

Perhaps ELP. They do have their moments with songs like "Lucky Man" or "The Sheriff", however the rest of their work is filled with pretentious, self-indulgent, and bombastic noodling(half the bands on your list are probably similar in this regard, but I've yet to listen to them and don't plan to). Look no further than Karn Evil 9. ab-so-lute rub-bish   
Congrats! Your comments just mirrored the mainstream press for most of their work (how ordinary). As for Lucky Man and The Sheriff being "moments," correct! They were moments of filler while the grander stuff came elsewhere on their respective albums.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 11:56
^Sometimes the mainstream press accidentally gets it right I guess - but then again ELP is loathed by so many that it can be questioned if they are infact all that overrated. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 13:09
ELP are not under or overrated imho....and considering how talented all 3 members were...I was always a bit disappointed that they didn't write even better material and  wrote some awful junk .
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 13:20
King Crimson of course LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>