Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mike Oldfield's Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 23:33
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I have to be honest about the 2003 version of Tubular Bells, having just heard it for the first time: it's like a carbon copy of the original 1973 version  and doesn't really add anything to it at all. The only major difference is John Cleese acting as Master of Ceremonies instead of Vivian Stanshall, which is not necessarily a good thing. Maybe I was expecting another masterpiece like Tubular Bells II or III, so I couldn't help feeling disappointed. One thing's for sure, I would have been upset if I'd gone out and bought the almost identical Tubular Bells 2003 when I already have the original version. To be brutally honest, it was a pointless remake of a classic album. Confused

Actually, the version I ended up buying is Tubular Bells 2003. Mostly because it was the one they had at the shop at that time, and I researched a bit and it didn't seem such a bad idea to get that one instead of searching for the original, with Mike wanting to do it again because he was never wholly satisfied with the original given his inexperience and lack of resources. However, I have heard very little of the very original one, mostly I have the original intro from New Age compilations, and comparing that part I think I do prefer the 2003 one... mostly, it has some very beautiful bass playing that either is played different on lost in the mix of the original, but I really miss that. However, I have been thinking that I might be wanting to get the original one by now, anyway... there's just so many albums to get still (including some other Oldfield's albums too).
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 23:58
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I have to be honest about the 2003 version of Tubular Bells, having just heard it for the first time: it's like a carbon copy of the original 1973 version  and doesn't really add anything to it at all. The only major difference is John Cleese acting as Master of Ceremonies instead of Vivian Stanshall, which is not necessarily a good thing. Maybe I was expecting another masterpiece like Tubular Bells II or III, so I couldn't help feeling disappointed. One thing's for sure, I would have been upset if I'd gone out and bought the almost identical Tubular Bells 2003 when I already have the original version. To be brutally honest, it was a pointless remake of a classic album. Confused

Actually, the version I ended up buying is Tubular Bells 2003. Mostly because it was the one they had at the shop at that time, and I researched a bit and it didn't seem such a bad idea to get that one instead of searching for the original, with Mike wanting to do it again because he was never wholly satisfied with the original given his inexperience and lack of resources. However, I have heard very little of the very original one, mostly I have the original intro from New Age compilations, and comparing that part I think I do prefer the 2003 one... mostly, it has some very beautiful bass playing that either is played different on lost in the mix of the original, but I really miss that. However, I have been thinking that I might be wanting to get the original one by now, anyway... there's just so many albums to get still (including some other Oldfield's albums too).

I feel both versions have their merits, so I keep switching between the two - although original is played more often.
Tubular Bells 2003 are perfectly played, recorded and produced. You can clearly hear the basslines, you get very full and fresh sound, especially in crescendo parts, everything stays in beat and is aligned ideally. John Cleese is a disaster though, and not everyone likes the modern distortion/fuzz pedals in heavier parts.
Tubular Bells 1973 had small missteps and was murkier overall. Imperfections gave it more life and sense of mystery, perhaps. Definitely the good old 70s production made me feel more fascinated with its labyrinthine contents.

TB2003 to give you energy and lift you up, TB1973 to daydream. Big smile

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 00:05
Music of the Spheres (2008)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 00:13
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

John Cleese is a disaster though... Big smile
I prefer Fadalack's version of Tubular Bells to Mike Oldfield's 2003 version, mainly because it doesn't include John Cleese. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 04:42
Man on the Rocks (2014)

Track Listing
  1. "Sailing" - 4:46
  2. "Moonshine" - 5:49
  3. "Man on the Rocks" - 6:10
  4. "Castaway" - 6:34
  5. "Minutes" - 4:51
  6. "Dreaming in the Wind" - 5:28
  7. "Nuclear" - 5:03
  8. "Chariots" - 4:38
  9. "Following the Angels" - 7:04
  10. "Irene" - 3:59
  11. "I Give Myself Away"  - 5:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 07:22
The final album, but hopefully, not the final post. Smile

Return to Ommadawn (2017)

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 07:24
I assume all these full album YouTube videos are perfectly legal?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 07:30
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

If they weren't legal, then I'm sure YouTube would have taken them down by now, bearing in mind some of Mike Oldfield's albums were uploaded to YouTube nearly a year ago. Wink

Most of the full album videos on this thread are from the same YouTube uploader, so if by some chance they do get taken down, then they'll all disappear together. Confused

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 20 2020 at 07:33
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 07:45

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

If they weren't legal, then I'm sure YouTube would have taken them down by now, bearing in mind some of Mike Oldfield's albums were uploaded to YouTube nearly a year ago. Wink

Most of the full album videos on this thread are from the same YouTube uploader, so if by some chance they do get taken down, then they'll all disappear together. Confused

Legal? Probably not, it's not Mike Oldfield who's loading these up, youtube doesn't care about the artists at all, it'd be a full time job tracking down the uploads, requesting youtube take them down and then following up when they don't take them down in a timely manner.

All that Paul is doing by loading these up is adding to the uploaders advertising revenue with zero going to the artist.

Most artists don't have the time or energy for this so just leave them up, that doesn't mean they approve of them.

Personally I'm strongly against loading up full albums. Unfortunately that war was lost long ago.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 08:07
^ The revenue supposedly goes to the artist and not to the uploader if the copyrights were claimed, which is the case for these videos.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 08:44
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ The revenue supposedly goes to the artist and not to the uploader if the copyrights were claimed, which is the case for these videos.

Cool. 
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 08:52
From my own personal point of view, hearing all of Mike Oldfield's recent albums for the first time on this thread, means I now want to go out and buy all of his original albums on CD, which means more money for the artist and record company and record stores, and also more great albums to add to my ever-growing CD collection, so everyone wins in the end. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 20 2020 at 08:53
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 08:59

From my own personal point of view, hearing all of Mike Oldfield's recent albums for the first time on this thread, means I now want to go out and buy all of his original albums on CD, which means more money for the artist and record company and record stores, and also more great albums to add to my ever-growing CD collection, so everyone wins in the end. Thumbs Up

That's lovely but you are not the typical YT listener, 99.9% of those will never buy the music. Have fun, I have a lot of Oldfield albums, I'd still advice that you don't need ALL of them. 
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 09:14
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

That's lovely but you are not the typical YT listener, 99.9% of those will never buy the music. Have fun, I have a lot of Oldfield albums, I'd still advice that you don't need ALL of them. 
Here's a list of the Mike Oldfield albums I'm now planning to go out and buy, having heard them all for the first time right here:-

Amarok (1990)
Guitars (1999)
Tr3s Lunas (2002)

I have nearly all of Mike Oldfield's other albums apart from Heaven's Open (1991) and Tubular Bells 2003  which I would avoid like the Chinese plague. Smile

I'm not sure about Man on the Rocks (2014) as that's the one album I've still yet to hear.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 09:20
Man on the Rocks is awful, Amarok & Return to Ommadawn are excellent.
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 09:23

Man on the Rocks is awful, Amarok & Return to Ommadawn are excellent.
In that case, I doubt if I'll be adding Man on the Rocks to my Mike Oldfield shopping list. Tongue
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 09:30
The first time I heard Mike Oldfield was Tubular Bells on YT eight years ago. I'm glad it's there.
Most of the albums I have are used LP's though, so he didn't get my money after all Embarrassed

Edited by Meltdowner - August 20 2020 at 09:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 10:00
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

The first time I heard Mike Oldfield was Tubular Bells on YT eight years ago. I'm glad it's there.
Most of the albums I have are used LP's though, so he didn't get my money after all Embarrassed
I recall Tubular Bells was my very first proper album, which was bought for me as a Christmas present in 1973, and when I say "proper album", I mean as opposed to Top of the Pops and Hot Hits compilation LP's which weren't by the original artists. I had a lot of those, mainly because they were cheap. Smile

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 15:28

Here's a list of the Mike Oldfield albums I'm now planning to go out and buy, having heard them all for the first time right here:-

Amarok (1990)
Guitars (1999)
Tr3s Lunas (2002)

I have nearly all of Mike Oldfield's other albums apart from Heaven's Open (1991) and Tubular Bells 2003  which I would avoid like the Chinese plague. Smile

I'm not sure about Man on the Rocks (2014) as that's the one album I've still yet to hear.

Man On The Rocks didn't do it for me but I know there were those that liked. Its quite straightforward rock stuff , a bit uninspired for my liking.
You are very correct to avoid TB2003 (utterly pointless) and Heavens Open (shyte)
The others listed above are worth having, always felt that The Millennium Bell (TB4) was a bit underrated.

The only other things Oldfield related I can think of are the boxed Set imaginatively called 'Boxed' and 'The Complete Mike Oldfield' which have some good previously unreleased material.

On top of this is a track he recorded with Carl Palmer called 'Readymix' that popped up on Carl Palmers aut-biographical compilation called 'Do You Wanna Play Carl' Quite intriguing as I've not been able to find any information about this. Good track though. (BTW Carl Palmer also guested on the instrumental track Mount Teide for Oldfield)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 16:09
^ I suppose it seemed like a good idea at the time for Mike Oldfield to have John Cleese act as Master of Ceremonies on Tubular Bells 2003, but it's hard to take him seriously when he's best-known for Monty Python and Fawlty Towers. As you say, Tubular Bells 2003 was a pointless remake and you can't beat the original version with Vivian Stanshall. I was expecting Tubular Bells 2003 to be something magnificent like Return to Ommadawn or Tubular Bells II or Tubular Bells III, so that made the album even more disappointing to me. That's one of the great things about the Internet: you can find out which albums to avoid as well as which albums to go out and buy. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>