FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Album of the Year Discussion thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 13:03
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

An Interactive Poll without Nickie is like a Christmas without Saint Nick -- less wondrous (Saint Nicholas was also known as Nicholas the Wonderworker). Reminds me, I hope Nick (from New Zealand) is doing alright. Really miss his presence.

Awwww, thank you!  And yes to Nick from NZ also, I think he's laying low lately.  Lorenzo too, those polls were his brainchild.  

Edited by Snicolette - December 31 2023 at 13:09
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 11:00
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

/QUOTE]

I would love that, as well. I am going to take time to go through these, and give a listen to those who sound of interest.  Those Interactive Polls were great!

I'd like to do one again. And I hope Lorenzo is doing well, as well as Mila and others who were regulars but not much or at all at this site now. In fact, I thought about making one for some of our favourite out-of-PA tracks of this year. I will. On second-thought, I'll make it open to any tracks of the year. Not only did I love the Interactive Polls themselves, but it felt like a wonderful little online community to me.[/QUOTE]

I got pretty busy with other committments, and didn't have new input to add for some of the last of those polls.  It was really nice, I got to "know" a lot more people in here, with the discussions.  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 10:08
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

^ Yeah, me too. I had hoped it might become more interactive like with the Interactive polls where people comment on each other's choices, compare notes, recommend to others.

I would love that, as well. I am going to take time to go through these, and give a listen to those who sound of interest.  Those Interactive Polls were great!

I'd like to do one again. And I hope Lorenzo is doing well, as well as Mila and others who were regulars but not much or at all at this site now. In fact, I thought about making one for some of our favourite out-of-PA tracks of this year. I will. On second-thought, I'll make it open to any tracks of the year. Not only did I love the Interactive Polls themselves, but it felt like a wonderful little online community to me.

Edited by Logan - December 31 2023 at 10:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 08:47

^ Yeah, me too. I had hoped it might become more interactive like with the Interactive polls where people comment on each other's choices, compare notes, recommend to others.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 01:58
^ Yes, that third release was a duplicate entry, I've just deleted it. There are still some duplicate entries in the database - this year we added more than 13k releases. Duplicates are relatively easy to deal with (by merging releases).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 22:08
Talking of The Poil Ueda album it seems to be coming up twice in the 1st and 3rd selction below when I do a search. Are these really 2 different albums? (my streaming service doesn't seem to have both but it does have Poil & Junko Ueda album as well as the later Yosh*tsune album. Thanks.

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 18:15
^^I just listened to that ni album for the first time today. It's a stunner. "Math metal" is an apt description. I added to my list and will likely move up over time. Need a few more listens before I move it up in my rankings.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 18:02
^ Excellent! I will listen to your podcast.

That Sprain album I liked more and more. I think it could potentially become a minor classic.

Edited by Logan - December 30 2023 at 18:19
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 18:00
My radio show this week and next week will be feature by top 50 on the year across all genres not just prog, though there's a lot of prog.

Poil Udea was a revelation this year never expected that combination of French punk prog and Japanese mediaeval opera to mesh but it really works. Saw them live in Canada at FIMAV, stunning. The ni was the other big surprise for me, even more math metal than previously and it really tears it up.

The Sprain album on your list Logan will probably end up on mine, bought it today and really enjoying it. Others you me and Mike seem to agree on is Swans.

Need to check out the Kilter they are on my list to explore.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 30 2023 at 18:07
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 17:04
^ Yeah, me too. I had hoped it might become more interactive like with the Interactive polls where people comment on each other's choices, compare notes, recommend to others... I do like thread that become very communal. It does feel like at PA the comments generally have become more and more like islands unto themselves. We get some arguing, but there is not as much friendly banter as there was once certainly (like when you joined). I'm doing some polls that I am hoping will complement this topic and maybe generate some buzz. Haha, good luck, the last time I helped to generate some buzz was when my wife bought me an electric hair clipper with razor, and I failed to add an attachment and ended up shaving off all my hair -- I got worried glances after that since I looked rather like a typical skinhead (i.e. white and male, edit, and with a shaved head of course).

Edited by Logan - December 30 2023 at 19:02
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 16:59
I know, I think it applies generally, but also specifically to this thread. I was envisioning a thread where people submit their lists, but also discuss them. People seem to think that it’s either one or the e other, when it can be both. Just like when you create a poll you want people to not only vote, but also discuss …
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 16:36
^ I was not thinking of this thread, but generally with that comment. That was intended in the context of possible reasons why we don't get established artists/ musicians posting here as much and having conversations with them. That is something I have read from others, and in general I too find that the Prog Archives board tends to be more list-focused (often with very short replies) and not so conversation focused as many other places. Partially it's because polls are so popular here. I have made many, many polls, and love making and looking at other people's lists and exploring music due to lists. I often tend to avoid having conversations in RL, partially because I find being around people to be exhausting often. I'm happy with PA, and I, as I think you can gather from my comments, really like and appreciate your tool. Ah, that could be misinterpreted.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 16:10

One reputation that the PA forum has is that the users are obsessed by lists, and so there is less actual back-and-forth discussion here. Indeed, compared to forums I frequented before joining this site, there is much less back-and-forth conversation here/ discussion.

Well, I went to the PE thread as well. We could absolutely have the same level of conversation here in this thread if we wanted to - the fact that the lists are built using a tool and registered in a database to build a combined chart does not mean that that's all they're good for. Smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2023 at 18:41

Credit where credit is due, while I have not posted there in many years, and don;t remember my account details, I went through the album of the year topic at progressive ears and found it good reading. Some good discussion of albums there and lists. It might also be useful to some to read to get ideas. I tried to register again there yesterday, as I rather feel like this should be one big prog/art/progressive/experimental music community despite the address/url. Also, when one site is slow might be easier to find conversation (I like internet forum discussion but I am not very good at it) with users at the other site.

https://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/30661-ALBUMS-OF-THE-YEAR-2023

I visit both sites daily and enjoy both.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2023 at 17:36
More improvements:

- performance is now much improved on the selection page for users with AP accounts
- when logged in with an AP account, the rating dropdown on the selection page now closes properly when you assign a rating.
- when logged in with an AP account and filtering for releases you interacted with, the releases are automatically sorted by rating.
- the non-pa prog chart now includes prog-adjacent releases which used to end up in the non-prog chart. This is in line with the pa releases chart, which also includes prog-adjacent (related) releases (since prog-related is a genre at PA).
- The genre is now displayed again on the result charts (pa genre for pa releases, ap genre for non-pa releases).

Let me know what you think! Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2023 at 17:26

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Credit where credit is due, while I have not posted there in many years, and don;t remember my account details, I went through the album of the year topic at progressive ears and found it good reading. Some good discussion of albums there and lists. It might also be useful to some to read to get ideas. I tried to register again there yesterday, as I rather feel like this should be one big prog/art/progressive/experimental music community despite the address/url. Also, when one site is slow might be easier to find conversation (I like internet forum discussion but I am not very good at it) with users at the other site.

https://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/30661-ALBUMS-OF-THE-YEAR-2023

I did check it out recently and there was an interesting exchange between Steve Babb (Glass Hammer) and various forum users. I discovered that Fred Schendel is not really a big part of the band of the anymore (it was always Babb and Schendel for years) and only guested on the recent album Arise. I have been a follower of the band for 20 years and it was fascinating to read some very candid stuff. I wonder why actual musicians like Babb don't feel they can post here? Are we just way too elitist? That's been my concern for a long time tbh.

While we have had musicians who posted here in the past like Phideaux and Steven Wilson, it has been noted that Progreswsive Ears has attracted more serious music artists and there have been more oif the kinds of topics you mention. Reddit is big place for Ask Me Anythings with artists and people of different stripes. I would not think we are more elitist here than at Progressive Ears, and I have read a PE member claiming that the people generally at PE are way more knowledgeable than at PA. One reputation that the PA forum has is that the users are obsessed by lists, and so there is less actual back-and-forth discussion here. Indeed, compared to forums I frequented before joining this site, there is much less back-and-forth conversation here/ discussion. And we have so many forums that it can be confusing. Also looking at the active topics, often it gets flooded with very short responses so having an ongoing conversation with an artist becomes harder as it is more likely to get swept away. This board feels more like one big Just For Fun than others forums I have visited, which could be off-putting to some serious artists. And we have had some problematic/ judgmental members at times whose negativity/ criticisms could be off-putting and might not lead to the best forum rep.

The last sentence could be the most pertinent. I only browsed PE a bit but I decided it was far less interesting than the forum here which has more banter and a bit of grit. Of course it can also be exceedingly annoying at times and you have to stand your corner on occasion.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2023 at 12:18
^ Totally cool with me, let’s keep the months separate.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2023 at 10:40
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ It is definitely easier for me to only collect lists from one thread, but that should not be the main motivation for how to slice this. Maybe it would make more sense to keep a dedicated thread for the "Aoty" poll. Maybe the PA admins should decide. As far as the instructions are concerned, that problem can be solved by linking to the "main" thread. In any case, there should not be more than the two threads that already exist.

First for those who are not, nor ever have been, collabs at this site for some background. Traditionally, this was only open to Collabs, which includes Prog Reviewers, Collaborators, Special Collaborators, Admin, and we included VIP members. In the Collab zone, a place which we hope will attract new members (think Willy Wonka's chocolate factory but with 11.5 percent more Oompa Loompas), we would have an official Nominations thread specifically for each collabs list, and we would have a discussion thread for talking about our lists, conversation, getting ideas etc. Then once the nominations process was over and the data had been tabulated, it was posted for all PA forum visitors to see.

It was helpful to keep the discussion and official nominations thread separate to make it easier to view and collect results. Now it works differently with using Mike's site to input your selections.

An issue I could have with combining the months lists and AOTY list is that it be much less readable, the thread might flow less, and just look sloppy. Especially if we have to list each month in separate posts that makes discussion more difficult and the whole thin more potentially confusing to follow. I do think that there is beauty in streamlining.

Already with the changes it might seem a little more overwhelming to some. I know it's not hard to follow the instructions and your site is not on its own to figure out with some perseverance and observation skills. I had an issue with keeping on losing my lists (I will change my cookie settings) and so having to re-post. And then I was having issues with the applicable entries of my overall 2013 list not automatically being shown and ranked in the months list. I then would re-post my overall coded list to get it to work again., then it stopped. I will change some of my security settings and permissions.

Anyway, I do think having a thread dedicated to the Album of the Year is potentially better for an easier to follow thread. I do like having that list open to the not-in-PA releases for those who want to because PA is missing albums of artists already included in our database (I added some before that I saw thanks to your non-in-PA lists) and because there are artists that still might be included in PA that were missed, and it may help to highlight those.

I wouldn't mind having separate thread for discussion purposes actually where we just talk about some of our favourite albums of the year. Already this thread covers quite a lot, from individual lists, commentary on the albums, and a lot of technical discussion about the AP feature. By adding the individual months to this discussion it would becomes I think too much, especially when one makes separate post for every month and then might be updating that with fresh posts.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2023 at 10:10
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I did check it out recently and there was an interesting exchange between Steve Babb (Glass Hammer) and various forum users. I discovered that Fred Schendel is not really a big part of the band of the anymore (it was always Babb and Schendel for years) and only guested on the recent album Arise. I have been a follower of the band for 20 years and it was fascinating to read some very candid stuff. I wonder why actual musicians like Babb don't feel they can post here? Are we just way too elitist? That's been my concern for a long time tbh.

While we have had musicians who posted here in the past like Phideaux and Steven Wilson, it has been noted that Progreswsive Ears has attracted more serious music artists and there have been more oif the kinds of topics you mention. Reddit is big place for Ask Me Anythings with artists and people of different stripes. I would not think we are more elitist here than at Progressive Ears, and I have read a PE member claiming that the people generally at PE are way more knowledgeable than at PA. One reputation that the PA forum has is that the users are obsessed by lists, and so there is less actual back-and-forth discussion here. Indeed, compared to forums I frequented before joining this site, there is much less back-and-forth conversation here/ discussion. And we have so many forums that it can be confusing. Also looking at the active topics, often it gets flooded with very short responses so having an ongoing conversation with an artist becomes harder as it is more likely to get swept away. This board feels more like one big Just For Fun than others forums I have visited, which could be off-putting to some serious artists. And we have had some problematic/ judgmental members at times whose negativity/ criticisms could be off-putting and might not lead to the best forum rep.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2023 at 08:48
^ It is definitely easier for me to only collect lists from one thread, but that should not be the main motivation for how to slice this. Maybe it would make more sense to keep a dedicated thread for the "Aoty" poll. Maybe the PA admins should decide. As far as the instructions are concerned, that problem can be solved by linking to the "main" thread. In any case, there should not be more than the two threads that already exist.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>