Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Petrucci VS. Michael Romeo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Poll Question: Who is the better guitarist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
70 [56.91%]
53 [43.09%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 16:44

Originally posted by W.Chuck W.Chuck wrote:

lol it's nothing about being honest, you chose the one you prefer, technically their are the same, MJR can tap better JP is faster, so they have both advatages and disadvantages but they are technically on the same level so it's just about which style you prefer...

Their technicality is not on the same level at all!  Has Romeo ever shown the ability to solo over a song in the duration that Petrucci does.  Has Romeo ever shown he can play solo clearly rather than in a shread style.  Has Romeo every shown any control with harmonics.  Petrucci exceeds Romeo in most all aspects of guitar.

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."
transend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 17:38

Petrucci is a bit of a shredder, but he adapts well into other areas and can play well in those different regions of music. I believe his talent is way above many other guitarists out there.

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 18:13

lol it's nothing about being honest, you chose the one you prefer, technically their are the same, MJR can tap better JP is faster, so they have both advatages and disadvantages but they are technically on the same level so it's just about which style you prefer...

Technically, Romeo might in the field of guitarists like Vai, Malmsteen, Satriani, Johnson AND Petrucci.

But let's compare both guitarists:

Technicality- Around the same, but Romeo does the same thing a lot of times. (Ie NeoClassical solos) TIE

Emotional Playing- Even though Romeo is far more emotional than guitarists per say like Mr. Yngwie, but still can not obtain the level that guitarists like Johnson and Vai do. Petrucci does have his times of mindless shredding (actually a lot), but his solos are slightly more emotional than Romeo's often mindless shredding. PETRUCCI

Variation- Without explaining: PETRUCCI

These three factors for me, makes a good guitarist and Petrucci has exceeded Romeo in almost every department, except for maybe Technicality.

FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 18:28
Has anyone heard An evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess? That's a
great thing to bring up in a discussion like this. Do you think Romeo would
come out with something such as that? It is brilliantly composed and sounds
nothing like the Dream Theater style. Petrucci is a much better player.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 18:30

Originally posted by FragileDT FragileDT wrote:

Has anyone heard An evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess? That's a
great thing to bring up in a discussion like this. Do you think Romeo would
come out with something such as that? It is brilliantly composed and sounds
nothing like the Dream Theater style. Petrucci is a much better player.

Romeo would solo all the way through and then shred like a beast.

FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 18:40
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Has anyone heard An evening
with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess? That's a great thing to bring up in a
discussion like this. Do you think Romeo would come out with something
such as that? It is brilliantly composed and sounds nothing like the Dream
Theater style. Petrucci is a much better player.

Most likely.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
AtLossForWords View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 21:17

Has anyone heard An evening
with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess? That's a great thing to bring up in a
discussion like this. Do you think Romeo would come out with something
such as that? It is brilliantly composed and sounds nothing like the Dream
Theater style. Petrucci is a much better player.

Most likely.

W.Chuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 07:02
How often does JP shred? more often than MJR, and MJR never went too fast because he knows when to stop, maybe king of terrors but never get so furious like JP, and MJR has no emotion? have you ever heard the solo in candlelight fantasia or lady of the snow and to the technical aspect: MJR's tapping is better, his string skipping is better, he's a much better improviser, not like JP who rarely improvises and MJR plays as clean as JP, I've never heard any slop in his solos,
the only one I know, where it is a bit sloppy is the live solo of the first solo in TDWOT, but when you imagine that he changes from the 6. to the 1. string in that tempo, it's no shame at all...

And pls listen to a solo by MJR a few more times or listen to them! because like the music I understood the solos far better after I listened to them more often.

Edited by W.Chuck

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 10:53

How often does JP shred? more often than MJR, and MJR never went too fast because he knows when to stop, maybe king of terrors but never get so furious like JP, and MJR has no emotion? have you ever heard the solo in candlelight fantasia or lady of the snow and to the technical aspect: MJR's tapping is better, his string skipping is better, he's a much better improviser, not like JP who rarely improvises and MJR plays as clean as JP, I've never heard any slop in his solos,
the only one I know, where it is a bit sloppy is the live solo of the first solo in TDWOT, but when you imagine that he changes from the 6. to the 1. string in that tempo, it's no shame at all...

And pls listen to a solo by MJR a few more times or listen to them! because like the music I understood the solos far better after I listened to them more often.

That post looks like a bunch of rhetoric to me.  John Petrucci keeps mindless shreadding to a minimum in Dream Theater and in JP and JR.  There is a difference between mindless shreadding and musical technique.  Petrucci is often on the side of musical technique.  Nicolo Paganini was a musician who played extremely fast for his solos, did anyone accuse that violinist of mindless shreadding?  Mike Romeo does mindless shread.  Look at Smoke and Mirrors, look at Sea of Lies, look at almost any heavy song Symphony X has ever done, and the solo is sloppy mindless shreadding.  Mike Romeo is not my idea of an emotional guitarist considering that so many of his solos are pretty much neo-classical solos which are not based off of emotion.  Romeo's solos lack structure.  It sounds like he just put a bunch of notes in a song and there's a solo.  Petrucci uses an awful lot of vocal motifs in his solos to make them fit the song better.  Scenes From a Memory and some parts of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence feature quite a bit of this.  John Petrucci is the much superior impoviser here.  Let's not forget John Petrucci attended Berklee, quite possibly the most famous jazz school in the US.  I don't think Berklee would allow Petrucci to enter if he couldn't improvise.  Petrucci also improvises quite a bit live.  Do I need to remind you of the Hollow Years solo or the additional solo at the end of In the Name of God.  I know of Petrucci's impovisation.  I don't know if Romeo ever improvises live.

THERE IS NO WAY ROMEO'S PLAYING CAN EVER BE CONSIDERED AS CLEAN AS PETRUCCI'S MY ENTIRE POST AND POSTS THROUGHOUT THIS THREAD ARE CONTESTING THAT ALL THE TIME!!!!!

W.Chuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 14:18
Originally posted by AtLossForWords AtLossForWords wrote:

That post looks like a bunch of rhetoric to me.  John Petrucci keeps mindless shreadding to a minimum in Dream Theater and in JP and JR.  There is a difference between mindless shreadding and musical technique.

...JP is one of the most mindless shredders I know, of course he has very good soli and he is an awesome guitarist but often he's just showing off, that he is so
incredible ad that he is sooooo fast...
And MJR's solo have a certain feeling and are musically perfectly build, far better than JP's shreds.

And pls listen to those songs :

http://www.phantomsopera.net/2003/4/images/reissuetrack3.mp3

http://www.phantomsopera.net/2003/4/images/reissuetrack10.mp 3

http://www.phantomsopera.net/2003/4/images/reissuetrack11.mp 3

from MJR's band before Symphony X!

His solos just always perfectly fit into the music and in
power metal songs he can't really use a pink floyd solo or sth like that and I think SX don't have this style variety of Dream Theater, like fully guitar chord tracks etc. and I think if Michael Romeo would play in a band with another type of music, MJR would play totally different.

Edited by W.Chuck

Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 14:54

Lossy.. leave it...

There's no way You're gonna convince him... Know the word fanaticism? Allah Akbar and stuff...

All of Chucks replies are totally the same... just leave it...

Plato was quite a wise man... His theories make quite a lot of sense right now...

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 19:32
Originally posted by Ed_The_Dead Ed_The_Dead wrote:

Lossy.. leave it...

There's no way You're gonna convince him... Know the word fanaticism? Allah Akbar and stuff...

Plato was quite a wise man... His theories make quite a lot of sense right now...

You don't know just how much i love Plato do you?  (total Platonic dialouge fanboy over here)

W.Chuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 11:53
yes, there are just the same replies by everyone, it's really fanaticism, no1 can be convinced...it's just senseless...
I think this thread should be closed now.

Edited by W.Chuck

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 14:06

Lossy.. leave it...

You don't know just how much i love Plato do you?  (total Platonic dialouge fanboy over here)

Ye know, I mean that whole theory with the man being shackled in a dark cave facing a black wall, not knowing what the hell is happening behind, outside in the beautiful wilderness... (Hope You get my reference)

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 18:13

Lossy.. leave it...

Ye know, I mean that whole theory with the man being shackled in a dark cave facing a black wall, not knowing what the hell is happening behind, outside in the beautiful wilderness... (Hope You get my reference)

Book VII of the Republic, the allegory of the cave!

W.Chuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 13:07
And next time if you try to convince someone make sure that you know the other possibility (here : Michael Romeo)...thank you.

All your comments suck...

Michael Romeo has no variety?

...Make sure that you know every Symphony X solo/interlude (and listen to it more than 1-2 times) and his side projects.

Michael Romeo is mindless?

He's the the best well thought guitarist I know, he's also expressing something with his soli (emotion) and they perfectly fit in EVERY song...you would know that if you would give him a serious try, but as it seems you are just some little DT fan guys, thinking Michael Romeo is bad and Petrucci is the god, than listen to Romeo and still think he's so awfull and he's such ja shredder and without any emotion, that's quite poor guys...really.

Edited by W.Chuck

dysrhytm View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2005 at 14:29

Well, my vote goes to Michael Romeo, I really like his neoclassical stuff and his overall style.

And W.Chuck, I think you are right, all the people here seems to be freaky dream theater fans that

adore john petrucci in every way. I would really like too hear you playing such a solo of Michael Romeo, shredding seems to be so easy for you, please record one and send it to me, I thínk this will be a great laugh  .

Furthermore, whats the sense of the poll "The Lamb"? It's useless and I think we aren't in position to discuss who is better, I think even they wouldn't know it, a question like "Michael Romeo-John Petrucci...WHO IS BETTER?" can't be answered, because you just know what you hear! You don't know what they both can play (they may don't use anything or you just haven't heard it yet) and please tell me "Mr.AtLossForWords", how do you define mindless shredding, I would really like to know it because you don't think john petruccis shred are senseless, so why are Michael Romes shreds mindless? They are more controlled than petrucci's and are well considered!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2005 at 14:35

Round 2...

FIGHT!!!!

Dark Lucidity View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2005 at 08:52

chuck, you cant convert the dream theater zombies.

They will never understand :)

Just let the fanboys have their way. 40% is pretty decent concidering how many dt fan boys dominate this forum.

its like when people say octavarium owns everything symx has done.

what a joke :P

dysrhytm View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2005 at 09:56
Muhahaha, that's gonna be fun!

Petrucci's playing is much cleaner than Romeo's

Have you heard Russel Allen's solo cd? Michael Romeo's soli are extremly clean!

Originally posted by TheLamb TheLamb wrote:

Petrucci just SOUNDS better

Taste, that's all!

I couldn't disagree more! Petrucci is the most controlled speed guitarist there will ever be. Just look at Scenes From a Memory. Solos like Fatal Tragedy are lightning speed with excellent string skipping.

How could you agree? you are too obsessed of john petrucci. And imo he's not really controlled sometimes,
and the solo in Fatal Tragedy: I think Michael Romeo would have added more notes and it would have sounded better than.

Originally posted by polumbric polumbric wrote:

Symphony X can be argued to be just that - Power Metal

Yes they have obvious elements of prog but it's far more diverse and complex!

You know, John Petrucci also plays in the Neo-Classical style

not really
at least he sometimes tries.

Their technicality is not on the same level at all! Has Romeo ever shown the ability to solo over a song in the duration that Petrucci does. Has Romeo ever shown he can play solo clearly rather than in a shread style. Has Romeo every shown any control with harmonics. Petrucci exceeds Romeo in most all aspects of guitar.

Well I even consider Michael Romeo being better technically than john petrucci and what do you mean with
"Has Romeo ever shown the ability to solo over a song in the duration that Petrucci does"?? Have you ever heard his solo album? I guess not...
And all this talk about shredding, Michael Romeo is much more controlled than John Petrucci and every solo is so much more than speed and shredding, you would notice that if you wouldn't be so fanatic and ignorant...
And Romeo has never shown control with harmonics?, I hope you are not being serious, because that's really glorifying your incompetence, thank you for this one !
And Petrucci exceeds Romeo in all aspects of guitar, muhaha : COMPOSITION, CLASSICAL STYLING, TAPPING, STRING SKIPPING? ehhhh....

That post looks like a bunch of rhetoric to me. John Petrucci keeps mindless shreadding to a minimum in Dream Theater and in JP and JR. There is a difference between mindless shreadding and musical technique. Petrucci is often on the side of musical technique. Nicolo Paganini was a musician who played extremely fast for his solos, did anyone accuse that violinist of mindless shreadding? Mike Romeo does mindless shread. Look at Smoke and Mirrors, look at Sea of Lies, look at almost any heavy song Symphony X has ever done, and the solo is sloppy mindless shreadding. Mike Romeo is not my idea of an emotional guitarist considering that so many of his solos are pretty much neo-classical solos which are not based off of emotion. Romeo's solos lack structure. It sounds like he just put a bunch of notes in a song and there's a solo. Petrucci uses an awful lot of vocal motifs in his solos to make them fit the song better. Scenes From a Memory and some parts of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence feature quite a bit of this. John Petrucci is the much superior impoviser here. Let's not forget John Petrucci attended Berklee, quite possibly the most famous jazz school in the US. I don't think Berklee would allow Petrucci to enter if he couldn't improvise. Petrucci also improvises quite a bit live. Do I need to remind you of the Hollow Years solo or the additional solo at the end of In the Name of God. I know of Petrucci's impovisation. I don't know if Romeo ever improvises live.

Again the question, MINDLESS SHREDDING? => pls define it, thx! If you don't recognize the sense of michael romeos solos, it's because of you incompetence/ignorance/idleness, so don't call it mindless or lack of structure...
Also sweet that you are so naive
You can't be sure that someone improvises on stage...
Just the player on stage knows it, don't trust everything...And Berklee is not just about improvisation, also about money...

AND FOR THE END, nobody mentioned it :

Michael Romeo is just the better SONG COMPOSER, John Petrucci couldn't ever in his life compose something like "THE ODYSSEY"!

Edited by dysrhytm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>