Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGentle Giant HAS BEEN HIP-HOP SAMPLED!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 12:46
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Originally posted by erlenst erlenst wrote:

Originally posted by Hierophant Hierophant wrote:

Can anyone verify that this is in fact Gentle Giant?!!??!

And about the sampling argument - what about the mellotron, used by tons of prog bands that use SAMPLED sounds of strings and vocals

Are you kidding me ? Of course it's Gentle Giant, it is one of their most well-known songs, Funny Ways. And come on, do you really think that you can compare sampling music with the mellotron ?

It's a bit of an odd comparison, I'd agree...

But sampling can be a very creative way of making music - you don't have to sample other people's music!

For instance, as a formally trained composer myself, I have used sampling technology to dig into lengthy improvisations that I myself have made, and then use the samples to create collages of sound - indeed, new riffs that "feel" more "right" than some of the improvs.

However, sampling other people can be profitable - Stockhausen made a career out of it...

Cert, sampling any other author is ok, even Wagner did that in Lohengrin (1850) with the Wedding March by Mendelssohn (1843) seven years after he used it in Midsummer's Night Dream.

But according to today's law and respect for intellectual property you have to:

1. Ask permission to the owner (Can be the author and/or publisher)
  2. Pay the royalties
  3. Quote the author's name.
  4. Quote the original work from which is sampled.
  5. Pay rights each time you play it on a concert (There's a general payment befoire any concert depending in the country).

None of the rap/hip hop samplers I seen act according to law.

Iván

The wedding march in "Lohengrin ("Treulich geführt", "Here comes the Bride") has nothing to do with the wedding march in Mendelsohn's "Mittsommernachtstraum". The first 4 notes of both marches are rhythmically (but not melodically) identical; there ends the similarity.

Edited by BaldJean

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 12:49
Tony, you just had to post these things, didn't you? As if the GG sampling hasn't caused enough traumas here already
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 13:05

Originally posted by Manunkind Manunkind wrote:

Tony, you just had to post these things, didn't you? As if the GG sampling hasn't caused enough traumas here already

I have no problems with these "tributes", to me if only 1 person discovers prog via listening to a sample in a piece from another genre then that is a good thing.

Prog artists have plundered Classical music for decades-I can guarantee you that many Classical Music officianados will resent this just as much as prog fans resent Rap and Hip Hop. There is a word for this: "snobbery"

Edited by Tony R
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 13:08
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

I have no problems with these "tributes", to me if only 1 person discovers prog via listening to a sample in a piece from another genre then that is a good thing.

True, but every time someone mentions any potential connection between prog and rap/hip-hop, your average proggie kills a kitten

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 13:11

True, but every time someone mentions any potential connection between prog and rap/hip-hop, your average proggie kills a kitten

Makes you glad to be associated with these open-minded people doesn't it!

I'd rather listen to Eminem than Magma anyday....

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 13:14

Ok, and I would prefer Eminem to Rush.

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 13:14

And you're right about the classical music plundering of course, there was a thread about a week ago on Reneissance plundering some classical pieces without any credit and it went down promptly with only 10 or so responses, and maybe one of them was (slightly) critical. Snobbery is definitely the word.

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 13:24
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Didnt realise you were familiar with either Rush or Eminem.

Seriously, I like some of Eminem's work-Stan and Lose Yourself particularly whereas Magma just leaves me cold.I'm not having a dig at Magma per se, just that I dont like any of their stuff at all.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 13:32

The wedding march in "Lohengrin ("Treulich geführt", "Here comes the Bride") has nothing to do with the wedding march in Mendelsohn's "Mittsommernachtstraum". The first 4 notes of both marches are rhythmically (but not melodically) identical; there ends the similarity.

I'm listening in this moment Lohengrin Bridal horus "Treulich Gefürt" by the Choir and Orchestra of the Budapest State Opera conducted by Josif Conta and it's the clear and obviously inspired in the Wedding March credited by Meldelsshon and played in every ceremony since the mid 19 Century.

Despite Wagner's hate for Mendelssohn (due to his anti semitism), both marches are very related and even often played paired because both fit perfectly. I even read somewhere that during some period of time none of the wedding marches were played in Israel because of the obvious relation of both and Wagner's anti semitism and even when Mendelssohn was from the Jewish community.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 13:50
interesting thread... will give my two cents... the same as the aforementioned Renaissance thread.

It's music.. just enjoy it.  If some 'quoting' occurs... what is the big deal.  If only one person is exposed to the classical pieces being used then a great service has been rendered.  Musicians are no different than you or me, we/they have their musical influences/heros and want to show appreciation for the greats that came before them.  It's not like Zeppelin that quoted or outright stole music to....get rich a and get laid.  Our progressive heros were artists and were expressing their 'love' for previous works and artists. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 13:52

I'm listening in this moment Lohengrin Bridal horus "Treulich Gefürt" by the Choir and Orchestra of the Budapest State Opera conducted by Josif Conta and it's the clear and obviously inspired in the Wedding March credited by Meldelsshon and played in every ceremony since the mid 19 Century.

Despite Wagner's hate for Mendelssohn (due to his anti semitism), both marches are very related and even often played paired because both fit perfectly. I even read somewhere that during some period of time none of the wedding marches were played in Israel because of the obvious relation of both and Wagner's anti semitism and even when Mendelssohn was from the Jewish community.

Iván

There may be inspiration, but they are nevertheless completely different. Not even a quotation. That composers have been influenced by other composers, no doubt, but there is quite a difference between citing (or in the case of the hip-hop version of Gentle Giant sampling) and influence.

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 13:52

Didnt realise you were familiar with either Rush or Eminem.

Seriously, I like some of Eminem's work-Stan and Lose Yourself particularly whereas Magma just leaves me cold.I'm not having a dig at Magma per se, just that I dont like any of their stuff at all.

Eminem does have his moments - I don't know that his stuff stands up to repeated listening, but he writes some interesting lyrics. But could he rap in Kobaian?

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 14:09

There may be inspiration, but they are nevertheless completely different. Not even a quotation. That composers have been influenced by other composers, no doubt, but there is quite a difference between citing (or in the case of the hip-hop version of Gentle Giant sampling) and influence.

Of course I agree with you, there's a difference, but it's somehow a precedent, i'm not sure if you or Friedre mentioned last week that Baroque musicians used to recreate other composers work but adding some of their own.

Just as an anecdote, the relation of Wagner's Bridal Chorus was because good old Richard  couldn't resist that his personal enemy's music was getting so popular, as a fact Mendelssohn's Weeding March was used for the first time by Dorothy Carew and Tom Daniel who married at St Peter’s Church,  UK in  1847.

So Wagner used more than just an inspiration of this march to create another one that could be used in weddings and still sound similar to Mendelssohn's version which was already popular, and he succeded partuially, because in Queen's Victoria's daughter wedding in 1858 boith marches were used, one at the entrance and one when the couple was already married, I can't say which one was used in what moment but I believe this happens today also.

There are even versions to be played to recieve the married couple in the party (We call it recepción in Spanish) that join both marches as one.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 14:15

(...)

sampling can be a very creative way of making music - you don't have to sample other people's music!

For instance, as a formally trained composer myself, I have used sampling technology to dig into lengthy improvisations that I myself have made, and then use the samples to create collages of sound - indeed, new riffs that "feel" more "right" than some of the improvs.

However, sampling other people can be profitable - Stockhausen made a career out of it...

Cert, sampling any other author is ok, even Wagner did that in Lohengrin (1850) with the Wedding March by Mendelssohn (1843) seven years after he used it in Midsummer's Night Dream.

But according to today's law and respect for intellectual property you have to:

1. Ask permission to the owner (Can be the author and/or publisher)
  2. Pay the royalties
  3. Quote the author's name.
  4. Quote the original work from which is sampled.
  5. Pay rights each time you play it on a concert (There's a general payment befoire any concert depending in the country).

None of the rap/hip hop samplers I seen act according to law.

I don't know exactly how far the law extends - but I believe that the limit is 7 seconds before a sample becomes illegal - and 7 seconds is a very long time in terms of riffs.

I know that Madonna paid ABBA a large sum of money for the sample she used in her recent hit - although I cringed like mad when I heard it, as I like ABBA and am not ashamed to admit it!

In an earlier post I mentioned two sample-based acts (LTJ Bukem and Roni Size), both of whom use samples intelligently and in a compositional basis, using the samples as part of their overall compositional pallettes. They are not alone

I'm not saying that sampling other musicians isn't OK - in actual fact I was almost saying the opposite; Using material from other musicians was de rigour for most of the greats in history - Bach, Mozart and Beethoven all did it, and, of course, there's the famous Variations on a theme of Paganini by Rachmaninov - and the other set by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Both are superb, BTW, and one is pure Prog Rock 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 14:17
God how I love Rachmaninoff's Variations of a theme of Paganini...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 14:19
There is one thing that is for sure: Both marches evoke associations of wedding to even casual listeners, which is why both have been used as basis for the music to wedding scenes in movies innumerable times.

erlenst View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 14:24
Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

Originally posted by erlenst erlenst wrote:

Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Originally posted by hey_timj hey_timj wrote:

MF doom is dope. What does it say about him that he's sampling GG
instead of some jazz record or something? It shows that he is a true artist
with an open mind and I don't think rappers get portrayed in that type of
light enough. I don't know if (certain) prog people here want to
acknowledge the fact that there are intelligent and innovative artists
outside of prog music.

SECONDED.

MF Doom is, in fact, a damn good hip-hop artist.  Just because it's not prog rock doesn't mean it's not good.  Honestly, if I were GG, I'd be happy that someone liked my song enough to sample it.
\

Agreed.  Hip-Hop's alot less about talent and more about feel, so I think he picked that GG sample because he thought that it would create a good feel from it.

It feels alot better than most prog.

uhm... what ? "It feels alot better than most prog." <-- WHAT?? seriously, why are you on a progrock forum if you really mean this ?

I mean it because I'm not talking about emotions here.  There's a certain vibe, or feel, that I tend to have when I listen to the music (maybe I didn't state this very well.)  Prog, for all of it's emotional feel and such, gives me a more clinical vibe, whereas hip-hop is alot more organic (IMO), in that it's just the beat and the lyrics.  Can and some of the canterbury bands are good examples of some of the more vibe-y prog out there.

Hmm.. Clinical vibe ? Hip-hop organic ?

Nope, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 14:42

Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Eminem does have his moments -  But could he rap in Kobaian?

To my knowledge he's never sampled Nirvana in any of his songs....

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 14:50

I don't know exactly how far the law extends - but I believe that the limit is 7 seconds before a sample becomes illegal - and 7 seconds is a very long time in terms of riffs.

I agree with most of your post, but there's a problem here,  I believed it was a certain number of chords required to be a copy (INDECOPI -Peruvian Office of Copyrights- once decided using acertain number of bars) but according to USA legal info, it's only required to use a couple of chords or seconds of a song in which the essennce of the original work relies on those few seconds: 

5. IS IT OK TO USE A SMALL PIECE OF SOMEBODY ELSE'S MUSIC IN MY SONG?

The obvious answer is yes, if you first obtain permission from the copyright owner. Obtaining permission first is usually the best (though not always the easiest) solution.

There is no simple rule concerning how much of a work may be taken before it rises to the level of infringement. Obviously, the more a work is copied, the easier it is to show substantial similarity. Ultimately the test for infringement turns on the issue of quality, rather than quantity. For instance, in determining whether one song infringes on another, it is common for courts to look to whether the "heart" of the song was taken. The heart of a song may be a memorable melody, or an identifiable 2-chord guitar riff or just a few words taken from the chorus. As a result, there is NO truth to the rumor that sampling less than 4 bars is OK. http://www.alankorn.com/articles/copyright_infringe.html (I'm mentioning the origin and the quote is for critical purpose, so it's not infringement  )

In other words, the judge's subjectivity plays an important role, if he believes that the second author used an essential piece of another song, then his word is law and you must pay, there's an example with George Harrison that some of you may know because I'm not familiar with:

Quote One of the more famous U.S music infringement cases involved ex-Beatle George Harrison, who was found by a jury to have "unconsciously" copied the Shirelle's composition "He's So Fine" in his 1971 hit "My Sweet Lord." Although George Harrison's hit was found to be strikingly similar to the Shirelle's song, it is even possible to infringe another song if only just a few notes are "borrowed." Because the most memorable part of a song may be quite brief, infringement of a musical composition may be found even where only a small portion of a song was copied. http://www.alankorn.com/articles/copyright_infringe.

I don't know Shirele's song so maybe you could answer that Cert.

Certified wrote:

Quote I know that Madonna paid ABBA a large sum of money for the sample she used in her recent hit - although I cringed like mad when I heard it, as I like ABBA and am not ashamed to admit it!

THAT'S MY POINT, if you want to sampler, it's ok, but ask permission, quote the author, quote the original song's name and pay the price, if not, even if you are Madonna you must pay.

If this guy asked Gentle Giant for permission it's ok, but if not, well it's a felony.

You should remember the Scissor Sisters version of Comfortably Numb, I hate it, it's like a bad Bee Gees style copy (They should have asked authorization of the Bee Gees also ), but I'm sure they paid Pink Floyd part of their profits (Don't know why they accepted with all the money they have), so it's ok, despite how horrendous is the new version it's legal and it must be accepted by everybody, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 14:50

While we're on the subject, what about all those folksongs and spirituals Dvorak worked into the New World symphony - or Vaughan William's Fantasia on Greensleeves (it's a good job Henry VIII was dead by then or he'd have been in big trouble) - or John Coltrane playing My Favourite Things and being acclaimed for his 'originality' - and Miles Davis was always playing other people's stuff as well - and when was the last time Pavarotti, Careras or Domingo wrote their own arias - and most of Vladimir Ashkenazy's albums are Chopin pieces played note for note?

When will any of these frauds discover their own musical voice? I think we should be told.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>