Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBuilding a guitar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 02:48
Yeah I've been thinking about a dark fretboard wood, at the moment I'm torn between Ebony, Pau Ferro or Rosewood, out of those 3 I've only ever played a Rosewood fretboard so I'd really like to try Ebony or Pau Ferro.
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 11:24
Pau Ferro feels almost identical to rosewood. They are genetic cousins after all. It tends to be a bit drier (less natural oil) and so some say it feels a bit "faster" to the touch. I almost always add a fretboard oil to protect the wood and so the difference is essentially lost on me. Pau Ferro does tend to be lighter in color (often a sort of dusty dark mustard color so it might not look as good as you want with that body. A little fretboard oil will darken it some, but not to a real rosewood color.

Ebony, on the other hand, really does have quite a different feel. It is harder, denser and smoother than rosewood and so it does feel faster to the touch. A lot of the old Jackson, Ibanez and Kramer "Shred Machines of the 80's had ebony boards. If you're into that you'll probably like ebony. It is tougher than rosewood or maple so you won't wear the playing grooves into it anytime soon either. You should expect to pay about 20%- 30% more for a re-fret though. Ebony likes to chip and split so fret removal must be done more slowly and carefully and little repairs using superglue and/or epoxy are common making the job take longer. I wouldn't let a fact like that over-ride playability, but it is nice to know in advance.
mr70s View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 18:33
I don't think anything can come close to Brazilian rosewood for that smooth, waxy feel that makes string bending a pleasure. I think that the species has been almost wiped out unfortunately. To me, ebony seems to exhibit drag when using vibrato, although it's certainly harder wearing, and does give (to my ears), an articulate quality to the sound whether clean or distorted. The combination of a maple neck with ebony fretboard gives great clarity to a heavily distorted sound.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 10:21
I have an ebony board on one of my strats and to me it feels similar to a lacquered maple board.
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 06:05
I've finally ordered the neck, it's one of Warmoth's showcase items and when I saw it I just had to own it. It'll be fitted with stainless steel 6105 frets and a graphite nut by Warmoth. Big%20smile

The neck is made entirely from Pau Ferro and in my opinion is a thing of beauty.

Hopefully it won't take too long to arrive. I'm really looking forward to finally finishing this project.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2008 at 05:39
a friend of a friend has just built this rather sexy bass:

see more here: Moon Base Alpha

Edited by Dean - October 01 2008 at 05:43
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2008 at 07:31
Well the neck has arrived much faster than I expected it to, nice one Warmoth. Thumbs%20Up

It's a little bit darker that the photos from the Warmoth site suggested but that's actually a good thing in my opinion. I'm very happy to report that it fits the body perfectly, all I've had to do to the body is sand away some excess finish inside the pocket, unfortunately however the bolt holes on the body and neck don't match up so I've filled the holes on the neck and I'm going to leave that overnight to cure.

I should be able to get everything bar the final set up finished quite quickly but I'm not going to rush it. The first job I'm going to tackle is fitting the Wilkinson bridge which could be an interesting experience. After that's done I'll probably fit the pickguard and jack socket. Then I'll move on to the neck and get the tuners and string retainer fitted. Then the final job should be re drilling the neck and getting it fitted.

Hopefully I should finaly have a playable guitar fairly soon. Big%20smile

Here's a pic of the neck I appologise for the poor quality of the photo my camera is playing up at the moment and I'm really struggling to get a decent photo from it.

A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 05:44

Make sure you've got enough clearance between the scratchplate and the underside of the 22nd fret overhang. I took the Warmoth neck off my strat to put it on a thinline tele body but didn't check first. When I tightened the neck screws here was a loud crack! The dusty end of the fretboard has now separated itself from the neck. It's fixable but there was a great deal of swearing at the time.

"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 06:24
That's not a problem for me the only problem I've got at the moment is a couple of snapped screws in the head that need removing (I was installing the tuners and the screws Gotoh provided were utter rubbish), rather than risk ruining the neck by trying to remove the screws myself I'm going to send the neck to a professional guitar repairer and get it done properly, I may give him the body too and just ask him to finish the build for me, that will depend on price though.
mr70s View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 20:13
I have found Gotoh hardware to be good quality. It's likely that the problem you had was due to the pilot holes being too small, or not deep enough. The hole has to be big enough for the shank to clear. It does take a little pracice to get right - try on some scrap pieces first. It is imperative to use a good quality screwdriver of the correct size. It's not necessary to apply a large force to these screws. Years of tinkering with cheap guitars gave me some experience, and it's not so bad when you make a mistake !  Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 02:37
Nope I did the research and huge numbers of people have had issues with the screws Gotoh provide, I was also very careful with the pilot holes, they were all slightly deeper than was required.

I'm not going to take any more risks though I'm going to get the tuners and string retainer installed by a professional and then I'll simply be able to bolt the neck on to the body, string it up and set it up. 
mr70s View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 16:05
These poor quality screws are interesting, is there any links you can post as I'd like to learn more.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 16:49
Not got any at the moment I'm afraid lost them all during a recent purge of useless files, just search for 'gotoh tuner screw failure' or something similar and I'm sure you'll find a few of the things I did, but on a positive note the neck is now at the repairer and he should be giving me a call tomorrow with a quote on the repair cost.

Now I just need to perform some slight rewiring of the electronics (I managed to get the cables for the neck and bridge pickups the wrong way round), just my luck to buy a switch that doesn't use a standard layout I guess.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 17:06
^ Ha! is there such a thing as a standard pick-up switch layout?
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 03:49
There are a few standards that the 5 way switches tend to use, typically though the one I've got is none of them.
glasshouse27 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2008 at 05:08
Hey man I would totally throw some humbuckers on that if i were you!

Edited by glasshouse27 - November 07 2008 at 05:14
glasshouse27 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2008 at 05:13
That is one sexy looking bass!!! Clap  Only thing is with that much material routed out you must lose a lot of tone. right? i don't know a lot about basses though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2008 at 11:27
Originally posted by glasshouse27 glasshouse27 wrote:

Hey man I would totally throw some humbuckers on that if i were you!

No need for humbuckers on this particular guitar, particularly since I've got a Steinberger with an HSH set up and an Epi SG with the usual 2 humbuckers.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2008 at 23:24
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

a friend of a friend has just built this rather sexy bass:

see more here: Moon Base Alpha

NiceClap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2008 at 14:28
I got the neck back from the tech today and he did a really good job, all I now need to do is attach the neck to the body, string it up and set it up. Big smile

Sorry about the low quality of the pic the light available to take this was terrible.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>