Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 20:19
Joel,

I have it. I've only watched it once, but from what I saw it's very good. This Strange Engine isn't one of my favorites, so the performance isn't as impactful as, say, the Brave, Marbles or Afraid Of Sunlight performances from their DVD's respectively. The Family part of it is pretty awesome, though. I've only watched snippits of the Friends part. I'm not a huge fan of covers, so I've only watched the rarities sections. They do an awesome version of Crowded House's "She Goes On" and Keane's "Bedshaped".

Still worth getting, but I'd focus on Somewhere In London or Marbles On The Road first, though.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 20:27
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Easily better than the original by The Waterboys, and in my top 3 vocal performances ever.

Just amazing stuff!

-Joel

Just watched that again. Amazing performance!

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 20:30
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Eric, you must be a very proud man, because this thread really is achieving a great outcome. Prog fans discovering, or in some cases, rediscovering a great band.

For those who are yearning after the live experiences, in addition to the essential DVDs that Eric has mentioned, I really would recommend going to the Racket Records site and downloading an original live concert recorded by the band directly from the show.

My personal favourite is the recording of the Happiness Is The Road gig from Brighton. Incredible interaction with the crowd, and stunning performances of all work from the new album, The Great Escape sounding as fresh as ever, and Invisible Man & Neverland from Marbles simply blowing your mind away.

I was a bit skeptical. Hogarth hasn't been received favorably...especially when I first joined PA. I've definitely seen a shift in the past year or so.

I have about 4 from that tour, but not that one...I don't believe. The Leeds gig is pretty good. The crowd was really into it, which made an impact on the band.

E
kenmartree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenmartree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 21:45

First of all, thanks to Joel for the awesome link, loved it and will watch over a few times as I don't know the song and it's impact will only increase.

I have both Marbles on the Road and Somewhere in London, I re-watched them both today.  I am thinking about what Edub said about how people at PA feel about H, gald to here it's changing.  I don't need anyone else to feel different though because the way we react to music in so unique and personal.  It is so dependent on many factors so that what touches emotional chords in us is different and even if we like the same music, like those of us who like Marillion, we bring our own reasons based on our histories, memories, people  and places the music reminds us of.   Hope that make sense.

My point here is I read whay to much bickering on the site, take a chill pill.   I don't see the point in bashing someone else's taste.  I don't understand trolls, I get that they want to elicit a reaction but I don't know why.

Back to H,  what I love was right there on the first track, the Invisable Man.  His ability to control his voice that allows him to put such emotion,  anguish, insanity.  Who else cound write a concept song and develop the concept so fully in 13 minutes.  How do they do this? H, he takes us inside the mind to the invisable man, on a journey surreal and fantastic,  floating hovering and describing what he sees.  This song is visceral.  I really can't pick a favorite Marillion song but this one it right up there.

Finally I want to add that although I've emphizied H a lot in this post,  It is the whole band that make Marillion special,  What is amazing is how well H has integrated.  Like most I was sad when Fish left the band,  put as Edub said that would probably not have lasted much longer if he had stayed.  FIshed needed to isolate for awhile and deal with his demons, which he did and I'm happy for him.

So do you share my love for The Invisable Man?                                       Kenmar

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 22:28
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Joel,

I have it. I've only watched it once, but from what I saw it's very good. This Strange Engine isn't one of my favorites, so the performance isn't as impactful as, say, the Brave, Marbles or Afraid Of Sunlight performances from their DVD's respectively. The Family part of it is pretty awesome, though. I've only watched snippits of the Friends part. I'm not a huge fan of covers, so I've only watched the rarities sections. They do an awesome version of Crowded House's "She Goes On" and Keane's "Bedshaped".

Still worth getting, but I'd focus on Somewhere In London or Marbles On The Road first, though.

E

I haven't seen videos of the Family concert, but the songs on the album are pretty great. naturally, I like the originals and b-sides more ("The Release" and "Bell in the Sea" in particular--why ever they didn't make it onto Season's End is elusive), but "Toxic" is rather fun. Smile
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 23:37
Originally posted by kenmartree kenmartree wrote:

First of all, thanks to Joel for the awesome link, loved it and will watch over a few times as I don't know the song and it's impact will only increase.

I have both Marbles on the Road and Somewhere in London, I re-watched them both today.  I am thinking about what Edub said about how people at PA feel about H, gald to here it's changing.  I don't need anyone else to feel different though because the way we react to music in so unique and personal.  It is so dependent on many factors so that what touches emotional chords in us is different and even if we like the same music, like those of us who like Marillion, we bring our own reasons based on our histories, memories, people  and places the music reminds us of.   Hope that make sense.

My point here is I read whay to much bickering on the site, take a chill pill.   I don't see the point in bashing someone else's taste.  I don't understand trolls, I get that they want to elicit a reaction but I don't know why.

Back to H,  what I love was right there on the first track, the Invisable Man.  His ability to control his voice that allows him to put such emotion,  anguish, insanity.  Who else cound write a concept song and develop the concept so fully in 13 minutes.  How do they do this? H, he takes us inside the mind to the invisable man, on a journey surreal and fantastic,  floating hovering and describing what he sees.  This song is visceral.  I really can't pick a favorite Marillion song but this one it right up there.

Finally I want to add that although I've emphizied H a lot in this post,  It is the whole band that make Marillion special,  What is amazing is how well H has integrated.  Like most I was sad when Fish left the band,  put as Edub said that would probably not have lasted much longer if he had stayed.  FIshed needed to isolate for awhile and deal with his demons, which he did and I'm happy for him.

So do you share my love for The Invisable Man?                                       Kenmar

You're welcome for the link Kenmar - Heres the URL to the original (much more upbeat and 80's, and even though The Waterboys are one of my favourite bands, h's version is SO much better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu7AR0-FRro)

The part of your quote which is so incredibly true - If you ever review MARBLES, I strongly recommend you include that part!

I love INVISIBLE MAN - Amazing opener, and as you said, Marillion accomplish a concept in this track which many bands struggle to establish over the length of an album. Its simply phenomenal!

Thanks for the kind words, and you're welcome for the link all!

-Joel
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 23:38
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Joel,I have it. I've only watched it once, but from what I saw it's very good. This Strange Engine isn't one of my favorites, so the performance isn't as impactful as, say, the Brave, Marbles or Afraid Of Sunlight performances from their DVD's respectively. The Family part of it is pretty awesome, though. I've only watched snippits of the Friends part. I'm not a huge fan of covers, so I've only watched the rarities sections. They do an awesome version of Crowded House's "She Goes On" and Keane's "Bedshaped". Still worth getting, but I'd focus on Somewhere In London or Marbles On The Road first, though.E
I haven't seen videos of the Family concert, but the songs on the album are pretty great. naturally, I like the originals and b-sides more ("The Release" and "Bell in the Sea" in particular--why ever they didn't make it onto Season's End is elusive), but "Toxic" is rather fun. Smile

I actually thought The Release and The Bell In The Sea were better than some of the tracks which made the final cut for Season's End... Both amazing songs in their own right!

-Joel
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 00:58
I still consider "The Invisible Man" an instant classic. The words paints such a vivid image and I love how the monologue really takes you inside the mind and the torment. The performance on Marbles On The Road is stunning. At the convention, h was even more theatrical and animated, acting out the 'when you stumble, you will stumble through me" by trying to catch her, only to looked shocked that she passed through him as if he wasn't there. Really was something to watch.

If I can say something about h, is he turned an otherwise certain disaster during night #3 into one of the most memorable Marillion moments on stage (that was even stated by their manager). His frustration was so thick during the technical problems he was experiencing on "This Strange Engine". He sort of sat down on the drum riser for a bit to gather himself, and it was during Rothery's solo that he did the legendary crowd surfing thing. A lesser frontman would've just choked during what he was going through (and night #3 had it's problems other than the "This Strange Episode"), but he not only reacted like a pro, but created a buzz like you wouldn't believe. And make no mistake, he captivated that crowd for 3 straight nights. I gained a whole new respect for him.

After the shows, the band would come out to sign autographs and chat to the fans (I only got to meet Rothery), but everyone was waiting for h. The quintessential showman.

Oh, and me and Rothers:

Edited by E-Dub - August 02 2009 at 01:00
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 01:13
^^

YOU LUCKY B*****D

Thats great!
I'm still hanging out for h or Marillion to come to Australia, as unlikely as it seems

-Joel
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 01:40
How's bout dis...

Favorite tracks on B'Sides Themselves? Grendel's pretty good obviously, but I like Tux On the most. Very dark lyrics and really groovy.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 03:44
^^

Very good question!

Mine would be in this order (top 5)

1. Tux On
2. 3 Boats Down From The Candy
3. Freaks
4. Grendel
5. Lady Nina

Absolutely great compilation... And a great question!

-Joel
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 04:48
Evening folks

Found this on youtube... Absolutely amazing, once again. Perhaps not as good as his cover of "The Whole Of The Moon", but still amazing.

Hes actually a beautiful piano player.

I got a huge Shock at 3:10!

-Joel

EDIT:

Here are some AMAZING Marillion rarities I found on youtube!

The last one is what Became the web, and its actually an amazing track itself... I actually prefer that version to the actual Web!

-Joel

Edited by progkidjoel - August 02 2009 at 04:55
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 07:57
Regarding "Maybe I'm Amazed": he does that on his Live Spirit Live Body album. Man, I still need to get that! Cool version of that song, though.

E
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 13:42

How's bout dis...

Favorite tracks on B'Sides Themselves? Grendel's pretty good obviously, but I like Tux On the most. Very dark lyrics and really groovy.

Great question - Lady Nina for me, although I really cannot think of one poor b side in any of the singles released.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 13:48
Joel, thanks for sharing the YouTube rarities. Loved Hogarth's piece and the golden oldies. I agree with you about Close as compared to The Web.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Fynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 16:20

Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

I bought 'Anoraknophobia' as my first Marillion CD a few days ago and I love it. I'm suprised it's rated so low on this site, because there are a few songs on there ('This Is The 21st Century') that are phenomenal.

I've loved Anoraknophobia since the first time I heard it. I think the current trend they have of producing 2 critically acclaimed albums started with Anoraknophobia. I have a tough time with This Strange Engine and Dotcom (even though "This Strange Engine" and "Interior Lulu" are top shelf), but think they were on to something with Anoraknophobia.

Last night I watched the Before First Light DVD (Afraid Of Sunlight in it's entirety at the 2003 convention, plus "Faith" and "Easter") and got to thinking that the crowd had no idea what they had in store for them the following year. They were still in the middle of recording Marbles, so the crowd was clueless as to the brilliance they were about to experience.

E
I'm quite new with the band, but I've been looking around for a second disc to continue my experience, I am aiming towards Brave or MarblesTongue
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 16:27

I bought 'Anoraknophobia' as my first Marillion CD a few days ago and I love it. I'm suprised it's rated so low on this site, because there are a few songs on there ('This Is The 21st Century') that are phenomenal.

I've loved Anoraknophobia since the first time I heard it. I think the current trend they have of producing 2 critically acclaimed albums started with Anoraknophobia. I have a tough time with This Strange Engine and Dotcom (even though "This Strange Engine" and "Interior Lulu" are top shelf), but think they were on to something with Anoraknophobia.

Last night I watched the Before First Light DVD (Afraid Of Sunlight in it's entirety at the 2003 convention, plus "Faith" and "Easter") and got to thinking that the crowd had no idea what they had in store for them the following year. They were still in the middle of recording Marbles, so the crowd was clueless as to the brilliance they were about to experience.

E
I'm quite new with the band, but I've been looking around for a second disc to continue my experience, I am aiming towards Brave or MarblesTongue

Definitely can't go wrong with either. If you get Marbles, be sure you get the 2 disc version from their website. It's worth every penny.

E
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 01:12
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Joel, thanks for sharing the YouTube rarities. Loved Hogarth's piece and the golden oldies. I agree with you about Close as compared to The Web.

No problem!

-Joel
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 15:44
Though it's not an outright win, I think I've decided that Clutching at Straws has the best lyrics of any Fish-era album. The theme(s) are tight and well thought-out. The double-meanings comparing drinking to strained relationships and other things is very poignant. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 01:17

Though it's not an outright win, I think I've decided that Clutching at Straws has the best lyrics of any Fish-era album. The theme(s) are tight and well thought-out. The double-meanings comparing drinking to strained relationships and other things is very poignant. 

Its a very good album - My favourite lyrically would be FUGAZI, and thats also my favourite all over, but its still brilliant, and as you said, the double-meanings are really genious.

-Joel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 123>