Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSeeking a more elegant definition for Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 16:35
<Paravion "Well, I'd argue that a distinction between progressive music and progressive rock isn't necessary">

This certainly does help explain your reservations about "rock" being included in the definition.  You don't really see any utility in the word "rock" being included in the term itself.

We clearly look at this differently. Sometime later, i'd like to dig a little deeper into your approach to defining what you call "prog".  This concept you are describing best fits what I call "progressive music".  I think we have some common ground there.

For now, however, I like to explain why I disagree with the notion that "a distinction between progressive music and progressive rock isn't necessary".

To say that a distinction between progressive music and progressive rock isn't necessary is to imply that there is no usefulness to having a distinction between the two concepts.  But I strongly believe that the term "progressive rock" is very useful for conveying a distinctive meaning that is different from "progressive music".

We are "proggers" so we tend to think from a progressive rock frame of reference.  But let's remember that I'm speaking in terms of the populace at large.  The term "progressive music" is used much more widely than "progressive rock".

Examples:

Ex #1 Progressive dance music 
I also saw a 70's album (which I did not buy) describing itself as some kind of "progressive dance" music.  I don't doubt that it had something new and different to the 70's dance music listener - but (and I realize I'm forming a decision based upon the album cover) it looked quite disco-ish.  I'm quite certain that muisc is not something that would be considered "progressive rock" to most people who use the term.

Ex #2 Progressive hip hop music
I currently see music described as "progressive hip hop music".  I don't deny that such a term could be useful to fans of hip hop music.  And I'm not denying that this form of hip hop music may be fresh and exciting to the listeners.  But I'm quite certain that this music is not something that would be considered "progressive rock" by most speakers.  When I'm speaking with these hip hop music fans, use of the term "progressive music" conveys a very different superset of styles than to say "progressive rock".

Ex #3 Progressive jazz music
Just recently, I picked up a jazz album recorded in the 1960's in which the composers sought to integrate symphonic instruments and forms.  It will certainly be progressive jazz and progressive music.  I look forward to listening to it.  But I still have reservations as to whether the music will be something most people would be comfortable describing as "progressive rock".  Of the 3 examples, this is the one that would be most likely to intersect with "progressive rock" and/or "prog".

To rockers and progrockers, the terms "progressive rock" and "progressive music" may seem interchangable.  But as you can see, to the general speaker and hearer, "progressive rock" and "progressive music" do not mean exactly the same thing.  When I am speaking with a hip hop music fan, it makes a big difference to them whether I say "progressive rock" or whether I say "progressive music".  The entire concept that is communicated differs quite radically.

I can - of course - say "progressive music" in a discussion.  But I need to be aware of who is hearing me and how they will interpret that term.  I need to be aware of the fact that "progressive music" is a more "wide open" concept than "progressive rock". 

"Progressive" is such a relative adjective that at some point it begs the question "progressive relative to what" and/or "progressing from where as a starting point?" 

Edited by progpositivity - November 13 2010 at 12:57
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 17:08
Paravion wrote: 
"...presupposes that other music styles have limitations. I'd still maintain that prog, really, is undefinable. Just like language is undefinable in linguistics." and "I'm not defining anything".

This explains a lot regarding our different approaches on this thread.  Mine is born out of a very pragmatic desire.  Yours is more theoretical. 

To say that all music is prog just some to a greater degree and others to a lesser degree is an interesting observation.  I don't agree that all music is "progressive rock" - but I can see some usefulness of such and approach for expanding the scope and ensuring that nothing gets left out, this does not preclude the usefulness of other approaches to defining the word, however.

One of the classic examples used to support this type of methodology is the concept of "mother".  Such an approach allows for gradations of people to be "more motherly" and "less motherly". 

Even so, it is still very useful to have some definitions that are framed traditionally. 

For example.  Mother = a female parent.
Mother = a term of address for a woman having or regarded as having the status, function, or authority of a female parent.
Mother = an old or elderly woman
Mother = source, origin <ex: necessity is the mother of invention>

So it is that while I see some usefulness in the radial concept, that still does not negate the usefulness of a more traditional definition for "progressive rock".

My main concerns are expedience and clarity.  Explaining the radial concept to a mildly interested party hardly seems to be the most effective way to communicate the meaning of "progressive rock".

In the end, if there is no definition for "progressive rock", you are perhaps just as happy as (or even happier than) if there is one.  For my purposes, however, in the end, I still believe there must be a definition that is useful, if somewhat less than 100% precise.  I am fully aware that none of the dictionary definitions of the word "mother" above independently capture 100% of the essense and usage of the word.  Even their combined efforts fall short of that.  A dictionary will probably supply 7 to 10 or more definitions for this word. 

Now, I do believe we can craft a dictionary styled definition that is not fraught with utter ambiguity and messiness - but I'm OK with something that merely qualifies as legitimately functional or useful.

And so, if I come up with a definition that is effective in quickly conveying to a wide general audience a reasonably accurate sense of what people usually mean when they say "progressive rock", then I will consider this to have been a successful venture.

I'll certainly be glad to consider your suggestion of adding moderating words like "often" to the definition.  As you said, they introduce a lot of ambiguity.  In a cost/benefit analysis, that cost is clear to me.  The extent of the benefit is perhaps not entirely clear to me yet.  How often does "progressive rock" music get excluded from such a designation on the basis of the description which I have provided?  If it not frequent at all, then the cost of the ambiguity may be higher than the benefit of the inclusion.

Do you think there is very much music generally considered to be "progressive rock" that does not fit within the constraints of the definition I've provided?  If so, please share examples.  Smile

Progressive Rock:  Music either springing from or incorporating one or more distinctive characteristics of the rock genre while expanding beyond the traditional musical limitations and constraints of the genre.

Edited by progpositivity - November 13 2010 at 12:31
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 07:10

About progressive music and progressive rock.

I realize they have different meanings and that one can utilize this semantic difference in distinguishing between progressive rock and progressive music. The thing is, the way I see it, that this dependency relation that is presumed to hold between word meaning and a music category doesn't actually hold. When I was working in radio, a digital recording device was always named a "tape recorder" even though tapes haven't been used for years. It is just what they are called. I introduce 'prog' as a somewhat arbitrary category-label. It's not a word that means something and thus it's not a term that combines 'progressive music' and 'progressive rock' in any sense where word meaning and category-status are in a one-to-one dependency relation.

More on prog as a radial category.

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"

This is essentially true and my fundamental conviction. For me, 'prog' only has conceptual status and to accept it as a radial category challenges very much any assumption that words somehow can describe music. Radial categories are mind-internal, they are not descriptions or reflections of an objective 'out there in the world' status of a category. They inform of how the mind structures categories and information about the categories themselves is secondary and depends solely on how the mind forms and structures categories. I proposed prog as a radial category where instances of music are centered around a prototype as more or less central or peripheral. Of course, many people haven't any prototypical understanding of prog. When we as experiencers get subjected to an instance of music, e.g. the album "Tales from topographic oceans", we (many of us) ask ourselves questions like "what kind of music is this?". Prog has category status in my mind, and I would, just like Al, judge Tales from topographic oceans a very good example of prog. Many have no idea of prog and would perhaps categorize Tales relative to a rock domain as an album which isn't a very good example prototypical rock, like Bob. These are equally 'correct' classifications spawned by different conceptual systems. Figure three captures this point.

What seems to be the issue then, is to introduce prog as a category into the mind of people by means of a definition that in general terms captures what prog typically is. This category-introduction, I think, is done best by providing examples more than using words. I got to know about prog by listening to records that generally were judged good examples of prog, not by reading any definition.

Note, radial categories are structured with respects to more than a central/peripheral scale. They are also structured according to a notion of chaining which captures how central members are linked to other members and so on.

On definition

I'm not really interested in defining prog and I turn (here and in my last post) exclusively to theoretical issues of categorization which I find very important in reaching, not so much a definition, but rather an understanding of the cognitive status of categories which ideally should play a role in a definition - even though I judge it rather difficult. All things considered, it's a matter of a lot of things - including points of views. As stated earlier in this discussion, I recognize certain benefits of a (kind-of) taxonomic approach, most importantly the functionality and usability of seemingly fixed categories where members share properties and are categorized and sub-categorized accordingly. It's rational - and in western thinking it's an ancient and a deeply ingrained way of making sense of experience - though not cognitively adequate, and thus, I'd maintain, somewhat delusional.

Final words

Figure 4 captures in an intended humorous and exaggerated way, how I perceive our different outlooks which has spawned this quite interesting discussion. I can't spend more time on figures and explicating theoretical points of view. I'm currently working on a paper in linguistics which has to be finished shortly, so I'll retreat from this thread. Thank you for an interesting discussion!

Edited by Paravion - November 14 2010 at 07:12
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 17:53
Hi guys,

I'd like to tell you that I'm now discussing my article and the subject "How to define and classify progressive rock?" at RateYourMusic and I have also mentioned as alternative the definition

Progressive Rock:  Music either springing from or incorporating one or more distinctive characteristics of the rock genre while expanding beyond the traditional musical limitations and constraints of the genre.

It is going to be interesting to see their reaction, not least as many or maybe most of them are not prog fans but some according to this definition maybe future prog fans. - And I use "prog" as short for progressive rock.

Otherwise, I can see that you certainly have some discussions and get wide around. It also looks like you get more and more clarified about the different approaches and differences altogether.

Paravions graphic presentation of his understanding of music looks interesting but I ain't going to try to comment it further.

Cheers
David

Edited by David_D - November 14 2010 at 18:04
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 15:44

Paravon: <I'm not really interested in defining prog>

And yet the name of this thread is "seeking a more elegant definition for prog" - which explains a lot. We indeed are working toward different ends.  From the beginning, my stated goal has been to create a functional dictionary styled definition which would: a) be far less complicated than most encyclopedia styled approaches and b) thus be useful for communicating quickly with a very wide audience.

I often get the impression that you take exception to the entire enterprise of crafting dictionary styled definitions for progressive rock. It often sounds like you are saying that nothing short of a center–periphery schema can be helpful or meaningful to explain the concept of "progressive rock". This is what I take exception to - and if I have fundamentally misunderstood you in this regard, please accept my apologies.

I actually think radial categorization is an interesting and promising approach to usage of the term you call "prog", and one which warrants a separate post of its own. I certainly hope I have not "come across" fundamentally opposed to such an approach.  My point is that I don't believe it nullifies the usefulness of a more traditional western approach to creating "dictionary styled" definitions.

The dictionary has multiple definitions for words. None of them includes every possible valid use of the term in question. For example, most dictionaries' primary definition for the word mother will focus on the concept of "a female parent". This definition does not cover 100% of the usage for the word. Dictionaries will then proceed to give another 4 to 9 definitions for additional usage. Even the combined efforts of those definitions will not cover 100% of the valid usages for the word "mother". A radial approach can be very useful for decsribing how language moves, breathes and evolves in usage.

Even so, the first few dictionary definitions of the word "mother" serve a valid purpose. They are generally straightforward and informative to a wide audience. It is precisely this type of definition for progressive rock which I am seeking to create.

<As stated earlier in this discussion, I recognize certain benefits of a (kind-of) taxonomic approach, most importantly the functionality and usability of seemingly fixed categories where members share properties and are categorized and sub-categorized accordingly. It's rational - and in western thinking it's an ancient and a deeply ingrained way of making sense of experience>

My network connection is not allowing me to view your attached graphic.  I look forward to seeing it when I log in from my personal PC.  Perhaps we aren't so far apart as it would appear.

<though not cognitively adequate, and thus, I'd maintain, somewhat delusional.>

The key question here is "adequate" to achieve what purpose?  Adequate to fully and completely accurately describe the entirety of the term?  Or adequate "to provide a wide audience a good general idea of 'what it is all about"?  I have no doubt you are alluding to something closer to the former than the latter.  But I am looking more toward the latter.  Indeed, if we are looking at the latter purpose, not only would I call it adequate, I'd go as far as to say that it is actually better suited to accomplish such an aim.

I must admit that I don't consider my definition particularly "taxonomic" because it does not dedicate much time and attention to creating, naming and defining various classifications and sub-classifications like many definitions of progressive rock tend to do.  Thinking radially, in at least one key respect, my definition is far less "taxonomic" than many other definitions of progressive rock.  ;-)

But I am now understanding that you are using the word "taxonomic" to describe any approach that relies upon seemingly discrete categories with specific instances of music either being "included in" or "excluded from" those categories.  In that regard, I can see where my definition would indeed qualify as "taxonomic". As such, it shares inherent limitations with all the other definitions of progressive rock which employ such an approach.

I maintain , however, that this approach is not delusional to whatever extent it is effectively used for pragmatic purposes.  It could, however, be delusional to the extent one tried to behave as though it was adequate to accurately and fully describe 100% of the usage of the term.

Edited by progpositivity - November 15 2010 at 17:29
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 16:43
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Hi guys,

I'd like to tell you that I'm now discussing my article and the subject "How to define and classify progressive rock?" at RateYourMusic and I have also mentioned as alternative the definition

It is going to be interesting to see their reaction, not least as many or maybe most of them are not prog fans but some according to this definition maybe future prog fans. - And I use "prog" as short for progressive rock.

Hi David! 

I look forward to hearing about the feedback you get - especially if any of it comes from people were not already familiar with progressive rock!

I'm hoping the definition can be a nice little "starter" to get the ball rolling - to get them interested in digging deeper into learning more about the various sub-genres!
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:36
Well, I'm afraid, the discussions in RYM are finished and there were only two super short comments which pointed out that the definition included psychedelic, post-rock and experimental. I can't say how it was received.

What I can tell, on the basis of my short own experience though, is that RYM's discussion forum is almost enirely another world than PA's. People talk very much out of the topic, joke really roughly with each other and there come all the time new people in "the thread" just to make a joke or speak about something else than the topic. On the other hand, they are very good at stuff like that, can speak in a very impressive, artistic way and be very funny.

Here's a sample which I, OK, find as the best one

WalterDigsTunes said:

By rejecting the classics, you reject Truth.
By embracing disposable modernity, you embrace lies

blazongabra said:

Well, let's see ... if I embrace truth, then I would embrace that you're mentally unhinged in the extreme ... so, I think I'll let you have the lies, and I'll take the truth.  You'll get them with the Time/Life version of history that people who weren't there when it was happening are going to get.

And I suppose that the 1st law of truth is "Dawn of light lying between a silence and sold sources chased amid fusions of wonder in moments hardly seen forgotten coloured in pastures of chance dancing leaves cast spells of challenge amused but real in thought we fled from the terrible progressive rock whole."

Heavy stuff, wright? blazongabra posted his post 10 minutes after WalterDigsTunes' and I can tell, to make "the fight" better understandable, that blazongabra is an old avant-prog fan while today, acid house is his sunshine.

Cheers

David

Edited by David_D - November 15 2010 at 17:57
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 18:00
Crap that doesn't suck. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 22:09
<When I was working in radio, a digital recording device was always named a "tape recorder" even though tapes haven't been used for years. It is just what they are called.>

It depends on who the audience is and what "common usage" is. 

For example, if I tell my son that I am bringing home a "tape recorder" he would get all interested in finding out whether it was reel-to-reel, cassette or mini-cassette.  If I then bring home a digital hand-held recorder, he would be disappointed and say, something to the effect of "I thought you said you picked up a tape recorder".

So this becomes an issue of common usage.  I submit that in common usage to say to someone that music is "progressive" can convey a different message than to say it is "progressive rock".  If they convey different meanings, then it is worth being aware of this fact.  It is valuable to make a distinction between the two. 

<"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" .  This is essentially true and my fundamental conviction. For me, 'prog' only has conceptual status and to accept it as a radial category challenges very much any assumption that words somehow can describe music.>

Even so, I find it interesting how functionally well a short descriptive definition can convey a meaning that accurately depicts over 99% of progressive rock - and as such is useful for those instances when one - in fact - does wish to talk about music.

<What seems to be the issue then, is to introduce prog as a category into the mind of people...done best by providing examples more than using words.>

I don't disagree that this can be a very effective way to educate people about progressive rock. 

It can still leave some conceptual "holes" in their understanding however.  For example, one may be left with questions as to why one piece of music was considered progressive rock in the 1960's when it sounds so "normal" to them as they listen to it with "today's ears" and judge it by today's standards.  A more conceptual understanding - one that includes the idea of the music progressing beyond the norms and limitations of rock music "at that particular point in time" rather than only an example based understanding from simply hearing progressive rock songs will help answer such questions. 

In the end, on a discussion board, words are our communication tools.  On a discussion list in a thread where the stated goal is to craft a definition for a term, we are going to use words to create our definition.

<Figure 4 captures in an intended humorous and exaggerated way, how I perceive our different outlooks which has spawned this quite interesting discussion. I can't spend more time on figures and explicating theoretical points of view. I'm currently working on a paper in linguistics which has to be finished shortly, so I'll retreat from this thread. Thank you for an interesting discussion!>

I just saw Figure 4.  That is too funny!  It certainly doesn't do justice to the clarity of your concept - although it does depict the complexity of inter-connectedness of various pieces of music based upon a plethora of multiple simultanous perceptions. 

I think both approaches can be useful.  And if I've read your recent post correctly, I think you do as well. 

You have given me much to think about!  Thanks for your time and for the thought provoking discussion! 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 22:23
Thanks for the feedback David!

<only two super short comments which pointed out that the definition included psychedelic, post-rock and experimental.>

Yes.  There is some experimental classical and other general experimental music that wouldn't be included.  But it certainly does include experimental rock and any experimental music that incorporates characteristics of rock music.

It also includes Math Rock.  It is interesting that - pragmatically speaking - these are included at PA as well.  Math Rock and Post-Rock are quite different to me even though they are lumped together into one category here at PA - but I'm glad they are included. 

To exclude post-rock and math rock from qualifying as "progressive rock" relegates "progressive rock" to a backwards looking stagnant viewpoint - which I think violates the concept from which the term was born.

Besides remaining true to the conceptual basis from which the term was born, there is an added benefit to framing the definition in such a 'wide open' manner. 

By including music that has roots in rock - or incorporates elements of rock music... and expands beyond the traditional boundaries of rock, we preserve the relevance of the progressive rock genre designation for future generations of musicians and music listeners.

As a young musician seeking to create music more creative than "normal rock", or as a young music listener seeking to hear music more creative than "normal rock", I am much more interested in learning about pioneers from the 1960's and 1970's if I see these artists as forefathers of a genre designation that I share with them - or if I at least perceive the points of commonality clearly.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 05:23

I admit to off-topicness and partial irrelevancy by not wanting to address the issue of the definition as such but rather circling around in theoretical spheres. You asked a concrete question that I somehow overlooked and would like to answer.

Quote Do you think there is very much music generally considered to be "progressive rock" that does not fit within the constraints of the definition I've provided? If so, please share examples.

Progressive Rock: Music either springing from or incorporating one or more distinctive characteristics of the rock genre while expanding beyond the traditional musical limitations and constraints of the

It's difficult for me to accept the phrase “Music springing from or incorporating one or more distinctive characteristics of the rock genre” Which directs attention to a minimum of at least one characteristic of rock that instances of prog have to share. What about purely acoustic music springing from a folk domain rather than a rock domain and which accordingly is more likely to be conceptualized relative to a folk domain? e.g. 'The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter' by the Incredible String Band? I have a hard time pointing at the required characteristic of rock. It's classified as prog-folk on this site (members include Jethro Tull). The term (and the logic of PA organization) suggests a place in both a prog taxonomy (where rock is a mother-node) and a place in a folk taxonomy (where rock isn't necessarily a characteristic). This is highly inadequate and unnecessarily complicated.

In accordance with my conceptualist outlook I suggest classification relative to the radially structured categories (or, more loosely, domains) diagrammed in the circles. This approach accounts for the huge difference between Incredible String Band and Jethro Tull which the taxonomic approach fails to do. (Note, the diagram is partial and does not suggest that the domains represented are the only domains that play a role in the classification/conceptualization and the positions and interactions are not fixed)

Edited by Paravion - November 16 2010 at 06:17
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 10:39
Thanks for the example!  I've heard ISB music in which I have perceived a relation back to the rock music idiom (speaking of idiom in the way of aggregating characteristics of a music genre).  But I'm unfamiliar with the specific song ''The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter' by the Incredible String Band
- so I look forward to checking it out. 

Sometimes a band gets characterized as a progressive rock band based upon a signifigant subset of their work.  The rest of their songs get "swept into" the progressive rock association as a result.  I have no idea whether this is the case with ISB or with that specific song though.

This example will be helpful to me for testing the veracity of the pragmatic dictionary-styled definition of progressive rock that I've been "fine tuning"!

Drifting off-topic with you - because your posts are just too thoughtful and interesting to resist!  Smile

You bring up a good point in that while the descriptive (taxonomic) approach is IMO very useful for verbalizing and communication general understandings about aggregates based upon a very limited number of shared characteristics, it usually clarifies one's focus to a single primary frame of reference or at the most a duality of frames of reference.  As useful as I would claim such descriptive sub-genre names can be, they are also inherently limited. 

To step outside of prog for a moment, a band can be "Southern Rock" while also being a blues based like Lynyrd Skynyrd or more pop/rock based like 38 Special.  For example, 38 Special had some very high-profile songs that had more in common with Rick Springfield and Juice Newton musically speaking than they did with their "Southern Rock" co-members.  Juice Newton ostensibly was a country pop-rock crossover and some characteristics of her music will firmly cement her relationship to the country genre.  Rick Springfield was a soap opera heart-throb pop-rock crossover.  These examples may seem worlds apart but their hit songs share a very palpable electric guitar riff based "top 40" songwriting template (which I am not seeking to denigrate - merely to identify).  Furthermore, a southern rock band could have a female vocalist which would place them into a female lead vocalist rock category (which may sound like an arbitrary distinction but one to which I can attest there was a genuine level of interest as a separate category in people's minds at least back in the days of Pat Benatar, The Pretenders, The Motels, Missing Persons, etc.  Female lead vocalists are now so common in rock, most people are probably "beyond" thinking in those terms). 

I don't think I've done a very good job of providing examples off the top of my head.  That is one unfortunate limitation of a "discussion board".  Perhaps I should collect my thoughts and come back to give better examples.

What I'm trying to illustrate is that we are constantly coming across pieces of music which exemplify characteristics from many more than 2 categories.  Into which of the competing "buckets" shall we put them whenever we insist upon them "being somewhere"?  To whatever extent they "are anywhere", I suggest that they are actually simultaneously sitting in multiple buckets to different various degrees.

Then - of course - we have *bands* composing and performing many different pieces of music many of which are quite different from one another.  But we have a desire for - and a usefulness for - placing bands into stylistic genre buckets as well!  Into which of the competing "buckets" shall we put bands whenever we insist upon them "being somewhere"?  To whatever extent they "are anywhere", I suggest that they are actually simultaneously sitting in multiple buckets to different various degrees.  Finally a point for which I have a good (extreme) example.  King Crimson!  But in reality, this same limitation affects almost all band genre designations.

I like your Venn diagram.  I've often thought that even very complex Venn diagrams can be inadequate for depicting all possibilities of shared characteristics based on different aggregations of perception.  Usually one "view" will exclude many other sets of variables in order to avoid the picture becoming so convoluted as to become useless.

Of course, as you know, this post is looking to "fine-tune" a descriptive approach using words to create a definition for progressive rock capable of taking someone from "ground zero" to a fundamental basic understanding that encompasses over 98% of what is commonly considered progressive rock.  I only said that in hopes of keeping the conversation on this thread at least minimally tethered to its stated purpose.
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 10:45
You guys are just analyzing WAY too much LOL

Just listen to and enjoy the music
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 13:34

I know this is very anti-intellectual of me but ever since I was a young child I’ve  loved comic books and serial adventure TV shows like “Dr. Who”.  Comic books would often strain to somehow weave a “recap” of previous sub-plotlines into someone’s conversation. The TV shows were much more direct.  For example, the TV show “LOST” would simply start by saying “Previously on ‘LOST’” before launching into a “recap”.

I'll follow in the latter tradition to recap where we are in our elusive quest for simplified dictionary styled definitions of "progressive rock".

Previously on ProgLOST… Wink

We have two definitions for Progressive Rock which are rather rock-centric.

1) "Progressive Rock": a term typically used to describe music springing from or incorporating distinctive elements of the rock genre while expanding beyond its traditional musical limitations and constraints.

Or if we are particularly comfortable with the understanding that no single definition captures 100% of the usages of a term, for ease of use we could boil it down to…

2) Progressive Rock:  Music springing from or incorporating distinctive elements of the rock genre while expanding beyond its traditional musical limitations and constraints.

And we have a 3rd approach which - albeit slightly off-topic - is fascinating and certainly worthy of note nonetheless.  (Thanks Paravon!  I hope I don't fundamentally misunderstand or mis-state regarding yoru thoughts below...)

It starts with a broad designation we are calling "prog".  This designation is a Radial category that is mind-internal with instances of music centered around a group of prototypes that are more or less central and others which are more or less peripheral. These prototypes are best learned by having people actually listen to the music.  The human brain is so amazingly complex that it will tend to automatically perceive the many characteristics of the prototypical instances to "make sense" of them in relation to one another, setting the stage for further comparative analysis of future instances of music. 

While this approach is not really interested in defining prog per se, it could perhaps be willing to submit the following for pragmatic usage:    

3) Prog is a genre of music which typically incorporates styles from other domains of music in an attempt to expand beyond the musical limitations of those domains.

My current “homework assignment” is to check out the song 'The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter' by the Incredible String Band! 

I do believe that a piece of music can simultaneously be both or neither Progressive Folk and Progressive Rock – even while that same piece of music can simultaneously be classified with other designations as well depending upon the point of view of the one doing the categorization at any given moment. 

My focus will – of course – be primarily concerned with a viewpoint relative to progressive rock.  In particular, I'm interested in the limitations imposed by the various definitions of progressive rock submitted above although that is not the only consideration.

And Lark the Starless, don’t worry.  I will also take some time to just enjoy the music without worrying about classifications!  Smile

Edited by progpositivity - November 16 2010 at 14:10
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 14:31
^
That's a great summary! "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter" is an album from 1968. Often considered the mother of so-called acid-folk. Not homework - but everybody should listen to it - everyday. 

Originally posted by Lark the starless Lark the starless wrote:

You guys are just analyzing WAY too much LOL< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">

Just listen to and enjoy the music
But - what kind of music would that be?LOL

I'm currently listening to the record "The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators" . The sleeve notes are quite interesting:

"Since Aristotle, man has organized knowledge vertically in separate and unrelated groups---Science, Religion, Sex, Relaxation, Work etc.  The main emphasis in his language, his system of storing knowledge, has been on the identification of objects rather than on the relationships between objects. He is now forced to use his tools of reasoning separately and for one situation at a time. Had man been able to see past this hypnotic way of thinking, to distrust it (as did Einstein), and to resystematize his knowledge so that it would all be related horizontally, he would now enjoy the perfect sanity which comes from being able to deal with his life in its entirety.  
          Recently, it has become possible for man to chemically alter his point of view (that is, his own basic relation with the outside world which determines how he stores his information). He then can restructure his thinking and change his language so that his thoughts bear more relation to his life and his problems, therefore approaching them more sanely.
          It's this quest for pure sanity that forms the basis of the songs on this album."
"Elevators, 1966"

Besides the "drugs=pure sanity" part this is surprisingly reminiscent of views and basic foundations in cognitive linguistics! Psychedelic grammar? Maybe I'll construe such in the futureLOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 15:15
Originally posted by progpositivity progpositivity wrote:

<When I was working in radio, a digital recording device was always named a "tape recorder" even though tapes haven't been used for years. It is just what they are called.>

It depends on who the audience is and what "common usage" is. 

That's the problem ... and that term can change over night and your definition is worthless.

Music history has to be looked at from a higher perspective ... and the main issue I have with it all, is that in the end, I feel that the history is being ignored and we're trying to recreate the wheel ... BUT ... we're using the terms that were there before ... so convenient.

If you want to create something new, do not use "rock" ... and define something new, and do NOT compare it to rock, because most rock music, STILL, is thought of as quite inferior to most music, and specially popular music, not what is termed "classical music".

We're simply trying to justify some people that use jazz, rock, and other mediums to create something original ... but if you want to give them credit, the first reference is the artist, not "rock music" ... again, seeing it from a higher perspective.

Common usage, in general, are all fads and they die tomorrow ... so if you want to break the mold and help the music live longer, you can not simply associate it with the common usage ... you have to associate it with the history of the music, since the common usage is meaningless in the long run ... and no one will give a darn about it.

This board is a good example, when the younger fans don't like how, what, who says something about the music that might suggest their favorite band today doesn't fit!

Is that what you want?

<What seems to be the issue then, is to introduce prog as a category into the mind of people...done best by providing examples more than using words.>

That's like me saying that you need to read some Jane Austen, so I sound more literate, and you look at me and ... what's the category and what does it have to do with broccoli?

It doesn't work that way.

What works is letting the music stand up on its own, and we stop talking about it like it isn't music, or that we have to create a variation on the definition, so it fits the bands that you like ... that do not fit in with the originals that created this term ... and that's a different ball game, and I would almost suggest that we are all guilty of that to an extent.

But we have to be highly objective on this stuff ... and even I, do not think I am objective enough, although I do not write reviews based on preference at all. I write because the whole project and event stood out worst than a sore thumb!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 18:00
what the hell is going on in these pages ! there's no definition or equation to put progressive in it !! if there was a definition for progressivity in music , then we don't call it progressive music !
rock , blues , jazz , pop , even classical raised up , one way or another , between 1967 & 2010 , to say , our music must be this way !
and they did it their ways ! i really feel ungry when you devide our bands , artists , albums into groups ( prog related , canterbury , space rock , symphonic prog . , italian symphonic prog , german symphonic , or the best of all jazz fusion !!! ) from where did you get those terms !? it's a Progressive rock music , no matter what is your opinion , and you can ask Waters , Gilmour , Clapton , Di Meola , or Wilson , they'll give you the same answers !
Tracking Tracks of Rock
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 18:23
<and that term can change over night and your definition is worthless>

... and yet that is a risk I'm willing to face.  Just don't ask me to sky-dive or tame lions!  Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 19:00
<what the hell is going on in these pages...i really feel ungry when you devide our bands , artists , albums into groups...>

Greetings trackstoni!  I see you have been a member since Feb of 2008 and have posted over 500 messages at PA.  That is quite a tenure to precede such an emotional epiphany!  I can only surmise that you have long ago already found a way to deal with the cognitive dissonance at least enough to continue enjoying the fellowship of hanging out with music fans who share many of your interests here at PA!

It actually sounds to me as though you may prefer prog as a radial category!  Please see the 3rd approach below, contributed by Paravon. It is a very different approach!

Of course, I don't think you will ever "convert" prog fans away from the categories and sub-categories. This is a reflection of the identity of most prog fans and to some extent a reflection of humanity.  We like to analyze and classify things.  And we love to assign names to things.  To a great extent, this is simply an extension of "who we are" and "what we do".

It may help to try not thinking of these categories as actual divisions.  Think of them as descriptors that help people organize a very massive music collection in their mind. 

Let's take cars as an example.  If you were rich enough to own a fleet of 10,000 cars, you could park them in different parking lots based on size, shape, color, model, manufacturer, engine design, fuel delivery systems, and many other ways.  This could make it easier for you to think about and remember characteristics of the many cars in your fleet.  But that doesn't mean the yellow cars are fundamentally divided against the red cars anymore than the 6 cylander cars are divided against the 4 cylander cars.  These provide a way of organizing the music in our minds.  I hope that helps!

--------

So far, we have two definitions for Progressive Rock which are rather rock-centric.

1) "Progressive Rock": a term typically used to describe music springing from or incorporating distinctive elements of the rock genre while expanding beyond its traditional musical limitations and constraints.

Or if we are particularly comfortable with the understanding that no single definition captures 100% of the usages of a term, for ease of use we could boil it down to…

2) Progressive Rock:  Music springing from or incorporating distinctive elements of the rock genre while expanding beyond its traditional musical limitations and constraints.

And we have a 3rd approach which - albeit slightly off-topic - is fascinating and certainly worthy of note nonetheless.  (Thanks Paravon!  I hope I don't fundamentally misunderstand or mis-state regarding yoru thoughts below...)

It starts with a broad designation we are calling "prog".  This designation is a Radial category that is mind-internal with instances of music centered around a group of prototypes that are more or less central and others which are more or less peripheral. These prototypes are best learned by having people actually listen to the music.  The human brain is so amazingly complex that it will tend to automatically perceive the many characteristics of the prototypical instances to "make sense" of them in relation to one another, setting the stage for further comparative analysis of future instances of music. 

While this approach is not really interested in defining prog per se, it could perhaps be willing to submit the following for pragmatic usage:    

3) Prog is a genre of music which typically incorporates styles from other domains of music in an attempt to expand beyond the musical limitations of those domains.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 20:11
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Progressive Rock:  Music springing from or incorporating distinctive elements of the rock genre while expanding beyond its traditional musical limitations and constraints.

A big, practical question is whether such a broad definition will be accepted and used. Here, I'm thinking at the fans and musicians of both "the old sub-genres" and "the new ones". I'll guess, it won't be easy as it's in my opinion to a large degree a question of identity which again is much about being different and exclude "the other ones". Then, it's of course a question of what kind of music one like and dislike and in this matter, industrial and experimental for instance are quite different from traditional prog. What we would need, I'll guess, is that some big, or at least smaller, prog sites start to include "the new sub-genres".

I can say some more about my experience from RYM with relevance for the proposed definition and with connection to what I wrote in a previus comment. I've met some hostility against the term "progressive rock" and it is clearly my impression that this hostility against progressive rock as a hole is to certain degree widespread among RYM users, and not at least the young ones - which immediately might seem strangely. That is of course quite relevant as RYM is a site most popular by fans of indie rock/pop, alternative, experimental and other more or less non-mainstream rock styles.

Edited by David_D - November 17 2010 at 08:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>