Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battle of the Prog Bands SFD2: Floyd vs. Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
97 [62.99%]
57 [37.01%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 19:28
It's close, but I'll give my support to Rush.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 19:32
It's not close at all Tongue
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 23:27
Rush obviously didn't stay home and do as it was told, it didn't get out of the road and failed to grow old.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 01:32
This is way too difficult, so I just took the easy way out and went with the underdog. Both have albums I don't like that much and some that I absolutely adore.
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 02:37
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

Any one member of Rush is twice as talented as Pink Floyd as a whole band. 

Lifeson twice as talented as THE Dave Gilmour, the king of bends and vibrato?  Gimme a break!  Lifeson doesn't even do his technical rock stuff too cleanly unlike the other monsters from the 70s like Roth, Schenker and Eddie Van Halen and some of his solos, like Freewill, are not too good at all.  No debate on Lee and Peart but then again, having better players never made a better band.

I respect your opinion but I really fail to understand it? Gilmour isn't bad, but anybody can bend a string, it's not to diffucult. On the other hand I would love to sit down and have a good laugh while Gilmour tried his best to play the solo from La Villa Strangiato, or anything else Lifeson ever did for that matter, as he is much better guitarist.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 05:16

Lifeson twice as talented as THE Dave Gilmour, the king of bends and vibrato?  Gimme a break!  Lifeson doesn't even do his technical rock stuff too cleanly unlike the other monsters from the 70s like Roth, Schenker and Eddie Van Halen and some of his solos, like Freewill, are not too good at all.  No debate on Lee and Peart but then again, having better players never made a better band.

I respect your opinion but I really fail to understand it? Gilmour isn't bad, but anybody can bend a string, it's not to diffucult. On the other hand I would love to sit down and have a good laugh while Gilmour tried his best to play the solo from La Villa Strangiato, or anything else Lifeson ever did for that matter, as he is much better guitarist.

Yes, anybody can bend a string, no doubt about that. But sit down and have a good laugh while I try to match Gilmour's subtle touch and feel on for example Shine On You Crazy Diamond. I'm sure I can match the speed even with my humble skill, but there's no way I could ever make it sound heavenly. That's one stunning guitar track.

Different guitarists, both great on their own right. "Better" is not a word that enters this discussion if you ask me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 06:26
I disagree, saying Gilmour makes you feel, or saying he sounds heavenly makes no sense. Subtle touch and feel don't impress me at all, I want talent, that's what I base my vote on.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 06:37

Subtle touch and feel don't impress me at all, I want talent, that's what I base my vote on.

I could go into the whole "define talent" nonsense as you seem to think that the Gilmourish control of the instrument takes none of it, but I don't think I'll bother.

If I had to choose I'd perhaps say that I prefer the solos of Gilmour and the rhythm work of Lifeson.
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehallway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 06:53
The main impressive element to Gilmour's work is that it is mostly improvised on the spot.

The virtuosity/beauty argument has a new variable when you consider this.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 07:21
I know, and I like Gilmour, no point in my going on with this. I've said it before though, I view Pink Floyd as good song writers, great song writers actually, as musicians they are passable, as artists they are splendid. Gilmour is easily in my top guitarists as well, Lifeson has just blown me away at times though.
cesarsc View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cesarsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 08:09
For me: Pink Floyd, always

thx
Still a Newbie in THIS forum....
BlindGuard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlindGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 09:39
RUSH!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 09:40
Rush out of this poll...LOL
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 10:36
I am quite happy that Rush made it to the top 4.....says a lot of this forum of very discerning listeners. I truely respect everyones opinions in the PA forums.
And yes I might be admitting defeat Cry ....but to me this is a big win!

I personally would have prefered the final to be Genesis vs __________ .

But King Crimson vs Pink Floyd is a decent final.
Clap Smile
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark the Starless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 10:45
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I am quite happy that Rush made it to the top 4.....says a lot of this forum of very discerning listeners. I truely respect everyones opinions in the PA forums.
And yes I might be admitting defeat Cry ....but to me this is a big win!

I personally would have prefered the final to be Genesis vs __________ .

But King Crimson vs Pink Floyd is a decent final.
Clap Smile

Well said Clap

I too would have preferred a Genesis vs (Rush, really LOL) final but oh well.

I'll probably vote for KC in the final.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 10:47
I absolutely love both.   If the vote was close I would not vote.

Gave my sympathy vote to Rush
Prog On!
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 11:03
Dunno if Rush would have gotten to the semifinals had the ban on newbie voting been imposed earlier. Wink
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 11:23

Sure, anyone can bend a string, but LIKE Gilmour? Certainly not Lifeson, for starters. And, off topic, I don't think just about anyone can bend like this crazy dude Mitch Watkins:

I am sorry but vibrato and bending are as important facets of a guitarist's skill, if not more than, speed.  After all, their identity and style derives much more from the first two than the last.  Now, if Lifeson could dazzle me with amazing chord changes like a Holdsworth or Larry Carlton, I would at least say he finds a different dimension in which to be as or more interesting than Gilmour but his playing lacks flavour and, as I said earlier, is not even as impressive as other heavy rock/metal guitar monsters from his time.  He's rhythmically more interesting than Gilmour, I certainly give that. 

Please don't underestimate the quality of rendering just because there are few or slow notes being played because anybody who claims that is easy is lying or doesn't know for real. It is perhaps more difficult for a singer than for those who play instruments to distinguish themselves with the way they render notes but there is a reason not many sound as beautiful as Latimer, for another example. It's not just a subjective, nebulous feel, he plays the notes more beautifully than many others who can perhaps manage more pyrotechnical gymnastics than him.  
LateralMe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LateralMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 15:23
I vote Rush. I just can't enjoy Floyd.
A Flower!?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:01
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MtWxyRi8mwY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MtWxyRi8mwY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>