Sleepy

Ermm
Yeah, I never was very good at keeping people awake...Ouch
What?
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 13:15
SleepyI can't figure out how to reply properly because I'M COMPUTER ILLITERATE AND ASLEEP WITH MY EYES OPEN.Maybe we can't define what prog rock is,but we can begin by saying what it is not to a degree.It's not about the clothes,fashion ,or lifestyle.It has always been about the music foremost.And the definition is so obscure that what used to be called a prog rock band in the 70's like The Mahavishnu Orchestra is now classified as simply jazz today.The key word to try to interpret is progressive.What music from the rock genre exhibit the qualities of being progressive-advocating progress concernig creative and experimentally new,improved and advanced modern sounds which usually means adding jazz and classical musical elements to the basic rock music format.So I agree,there really is no clear cut definition,as long as the music shows elements of progressing to a more intricate or complecated form than it's prior musical state,it can be deemed progressive.The word progressive invokes an evolving,improving,changing style of music so pinning it down to an exact starting point is not a perfectly precise thing to be able to do.24 hours from now I'll probably have a completely different answer or outlook and I hope someone could please walk me through the steps on how to respond properly when I'm more mentally prepared to try and grasp it.Thank You.
sararocksprog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 16:37
Originally posted by rematpac rematpac wrote:

I hope someone could please walk me through the steps on how to respond properly when I'm more mentally prepared to try and grasp it.Thank You.
You're doing fine!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 20:28

WinkThere is no confusion about the definition of prog at all! Nothing could be easier to understand! It's very simple,why people try to make something confusing about it is beyond me?Prog rock is music that is about the music only.That's it....

Remember you said that!

The music is composed and played with one thing in mind-the music itself ,nothing else.The idea is to make music that is musically good and that is the ONLY consideration.

That would be incorrect. Not all music is "composed" and a lot of the really early stuff was actually originally designed as an improvisation that later was concluded to be "composed" because it could be played on stage again!

It's easy, if you have a tape, and now you know what you did ... wow ... how creative!

There is a nasty stigma that something that is "improvised" is not considered music ... and one of the things that were being fought in those days, were exactly that ... and a lot of things in the really early days were about complete and outright experimentations and jams, and even the Grateful Dead used to do 6 hour concerts as late as possible and create many moods and things that most bands went on to do and try themselves ... but ... this "law" concept that things have to be composed is inacurate, because once you grab a handle on what you do, ANYONE can scribble it down on paper ... but no one was sitting there and writing the notes for "In a Gadda Da Vida" on paper because we were all too stoned enjoying the trip ... but that's not to say that the musicians did not know what they were playing because the German krautrock scene quickly disproves that and so did other scenes, even in France ... not to mention the exprimental nature of the arts in France ... you obviously have never heard of Godard, and he is a total parallel to the Berlin'os and their anti-western music ideas!

Progressive music, never was music for music's sake, or art for art's sake (thank you 10CC) ... it was no different than anything else out there, for the time and place ... with the blatant exception that we continue to discuss this and totally ignore the rest of the arts, the time and the place it was happening. If you do this parallel with the arts, the continuation and study of this illuminates a lot more than it hides ... but it takes the open mindedness and studiousness of many of us here ... and I sincerely doubt that most here are willing ...
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 20:58
Prog = Prog

Make of it what you will.
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 03:16
Wink
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

WinkThere is no confusion about the definition of prog at all! Nothing could be easier to understand! It's very simple,why people try to make something confusing about it is beyond me?Prog rock is music that is about the music only.That's it....

Remember you said that!

The music is composed and played with one thing in mind-the music itself ,nothing else.The idea is to make music that is musically good and that is the ONLY consideration.

That would be incorrect. Not all music is "composed" and a lot of the really early stuff was actually originally designed as an improvisation that later was concluded to be "composed" because it could be played on stage again!

It's easy, if you have a tape, and now you know what you did ... wow ... how creative!

There is a nasty stigma that something that is "improvised" is not considered music ... and one of the things that were being fought in those days, were exactly that ... and a lot of things in the really early days were about complete and outright experimentations and jams, and even the Grateful Dead used to do 6 hour concerts as late as possible and create many moods and things that most bands went on to do and try themselves ... but ... this "law" concept that things have to be composed is inacurate, because once you grab a handle on what you do, ANYONE can scribble it down on paper ... but no one was sitting there and writing the notes for "In a Gadda Da Vida" on paper because we were all too stoned enjoying the trip ... but that's not to say that the musicians did not know what they were playing because the German krautrock scene quickly disproves that and so did other scenes, even in France ... not to mention the exprimental nature of the arts in France ... you obviously have never heard of Godard, and he is a total parallel to the Berlin'os and their anti-western music ideas!

Progressive music, never was music for music's sake, or art for art's sake (thank you 10CC) ... it was no different than anything else out there, for the time and place ... with the blatant exception that we continue to discuss this and totally ignore the rest of the arts, the time and the place it was happening. If you do this parallel with the arts, the continuation and study of this illuminates a lot more than it hides ... but it takes the open mindedness and studiousness of many of us here ... and I sincerely doubt that most here are willing ...
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 03:37
WinkMoshkito,if you looK above half a page ,you'll see I already radically altered my view on the definition when a senior member pointed out the obvious realities and inconsistencies of my former close as possible text book definition.I didn't actually change my view ,no more than anything you've said changes it.Let me re-phrase it for you:prog rock is SUPPOSED to be rock music that is essentially about the music itself and not the extra commercilaized gimmicks that help originally sell it that are used to primarily sell other types of rock music,such as looks,clothes,attitude,age,etc.And in the end though,that is exactly why we still listen to an album like Close to the Edge almost 40 years later.We listen to it for the music and the music ONLY.And I know good and well that even Yes didn't write their music down(compose it),some of the members couldn't even read music!We don't listen to other albums that were even more popular back then because it wasn't the actual music that sold so many of them.We don't listen to music of any kind that was writtren 40 years ago for anything but the actual excellent quality of the music and THAT'S IT.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 04:27
AvatarPedro, this is Paul Avatar

AvatarPaul, this is Pedro  Avatar

You two are going to get along real swell. Approve
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 04:37
LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 05:16

when a senior member.
Hey, you're going to be a senior member in 41 posts - it's not a badge of office - it's an automatic title change after 100 posts.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 05:21
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

when a senior member.
Hey, you're going to be a senior member in 41 posts - it's not a badge of office - it's an automatic title change after 100 posts.

He's already a member.Clown
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 14:00

AvatarPedro, this is Paul Avatar

AvatarPaul, this is Pedro  Avatar

You two are going to get along real swell. Approve

I do so enjoy coming onto PA in the evening. Posts like this make my day!LOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
sararocksprog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 22:46
That's good to know about the # of posts elevating your status. I like it!     Big smile
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 22:58
Originally posted by sararocksprog sararocksprog wrote:

That's good to know about the # of posts elevating your status. I like it!     Big smile

And when you get to 10,000, you can claim mental illness!
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 23:01

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 10:24
http://www.jmorganmarketing.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/fail.jpg
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 15:33
AngryThem that do,do;them that can't do,teach;and them that can't teach ctiticize.And that's all you can do since you undoubtably can't play a note of real music.YOU are the failure.I just spent 2 hours looking through internet files on typos for Karn Eval 9 to try and solve the mystery.I found nothing to explain my paradox.I even contacted Greg Lake himself and may hopefully hear back from him someday.When I google Karn Eval 9,there are many websites with that spelling reffering to ELP.You can't tell me I got the one typo album and nobody else did.Since all you're capable of is to critisize others,you should have the solution.You are the failure and all you can do is print fail to someone else to make yourself feel like you're important.What a pathetic sick joke!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 15:42

AngryThem that do,do;them that can't do,teach;and them that can't teach ctiticize.And that's all you can do since you undoubtably can't play a note of real music.YOU are the failure.I just spent 2 hours looking through internet files on typos for Karn Eval 9 to try and solve the mystery.I found nothing to explain my paradox.I even contacted Greg Lake himself and may hopefully hear back from him someday.When I google Karn Eval 9,there are many websites with that spelling reffering to ELP.You can't tell me I got the one typo album and nobody else did.Since all you're capable of is to critisize others,you should have the solution.You are the failure and all you can do is print fail to someone else to make yourself feel like you're important.What a pathetic sick joke!

Wrong thread.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 16:09
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Wrong thread.
Wrong planet.
What?
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 16:45
Angry

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Wrong thread.
Wrong planet.
Why don't you check up on just one thing I ever said to see if it's true or not?it's so little work and aren't you even curious that you might have been completely wrong about me?No ,you won't.Because then you'd have to face the truth about yourself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>