Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 16:55
Originally posted by rematpac rematpac wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Anotherthing,when I 1st saw the name of the work KARN EVAL 9,it wasn't on Brain Salad Surgery,but on the 1st ELP albums I bought which was a double cassette version of Welcome Back My Friends which I unbelieveably bought at the local large food market right behind one of the cashiers where they used to keep the individual packs of cigarrettes in the 60's in a small oblong wooden box with a sliding plastic door in 1974.That's how good my memory is and that's why I know it wasn't just a typo because it was all over the place on both the studio and live albums and cassettes.
OMG! Are you being serious? Shocked 

You really are a troll aren't you. Stern Smile

Well done, you had us going there for a minute Clap 

Now, go away. Stern Smile

I had my doubts all along Dean. Now proven without a doubt. I think we've finished here.

You actually didn't believe a word I said?Of course were finished.You guys are the most incredible bunch of losers I've met on the net yet.Something,even non-musical that you should be able to handle and you stoop to calling me a liar and a troll because of your own unwillingness to admit your own incompetence?Unbelieveable!!!

Is this what you meant to post?
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 22:02
I really do need to ms paint the "Official PA seal of Derp"

This thread deserves a stamp ASAP!
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 22:07
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

I really do need to ms paint the "Official PA seal of Derp"

This thread deserves a stamp ASAP!

LOL
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 15:27

Anotherthing,when I 1st saw the name of the work KARN EVAL 9,it wasn't on Brain Salad Surgery,but on the 1st ELP albums I bought which was a double cassette version of Welcome Back My Friends which I unbelieveably bought at the local large food market right behind one of the cashiers where they used to keep the individual packs of cigarrettes in the 60's in a small oblong wooden box with a sliding plastic door in 1974.That's how good my memory is and that's why I know it wasn't just a typo because it was all over the place on both the studio and live albums and cassettes.
OMG! Are you being serious? Shocked 

You really are a troll aren't you. Stern Smile

Well done, you had us going there for a minute Clap 

Now, go away. Stern Smile

I had my doubts all along Dean. Now proven without a doubt. I think we've finished here.You actually didn't believe a word I said?Of course were finished.You guys are the most incredible bunch of losers I've met on the net yet.Something,even non-musical that you should be able to handle and you stoop to calling me a liar and a troll because of your own unwillingness to admit your own incompetence?Unbelieveable!!!

Actually as far as I can tell we're just saying you're wrong because Greg Lake says so.
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 11:21
Approve

Well done on reaching the magic 100 posts, albeit by random double posting. LOL

Approve
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

HOWEVER your original assertion was the it was originally called Karn Eval and they changed it later. Thus far all the evidence suggests it has always been called Karn Evil.

I am not sure that any part of the Karn Eval idea makes any sense at all ... specially when the art work used in the cover suggeests something else, and was by someone whose work ... is scary for many folks, and sometimes might even be considered "evil", and eventually a lot of his art work became a massive part of the first "Alien" film.

The number 9 designation, I am not sure is necessary or that important ... and for all we know, and failed to check, the piece had 9 parts and that was that! ... something silly like that ... but it could also be just another Beatle thing ... why Revolution #9 when ... wait a minute ... where's Revolution #2?

I don't like to question the titles of things and for that reason, I do NOT name any of my poems ... and over 200 of them, use the first line for index'ing purposes, with one issue ... I have the same first line (intentional evil here Bugs Bunny style too so we can confuse all these Ducks!) on several poems ... that go in different directions.

I can not tell you why they have the same first line any more than I can why the line is the first line of the poem in there ... it's just the way it came out ... and that's that!

I think "Karn Evil 9" is more appropriate, specially when the title of the album suggests a big messy brain ...and in the end the whole thing could be about all three of them being so screwed up in their own circus that they could use a brain surgery ... or a 9th one! As it was well known that they had arguments, but they managed to smooth things out enough and move along ... but ... It doesn't matter ... it really doesn't ... but the friction in them and between them created some excellent music ... and if that is necessary for karn evil 9 to come along ... that is just fine with me!
I thought I had this post thing figured out ,but I guess not so I'll try it again : The most logical explanation at this point is that I was the victim of a typo of the word EVAL on a very early BSS press.Since it has always been my favorite rock music work my memory is undisputable on the question.BBS and other ELP releases have an extensive history of an unusually number of typos unfortunately.It took 37 years to discover the truth with the help of this website.I never liked the spelling of EVAL(thinking possibly using it fron the word MEDIEVAL)and was glad when I saw it changed,not realizing that it never was suppose to be spelled EVAL all along.As far as the no.9 being used,I just gave it my best guess with former rock history in mind.
The #9 was explained by Keith Emerson on the liner-notes to the BSS remaster - nothing to do with the Beatles, he wanted to call the track 'Ganton 9' after an imaginary planet (ie the 9th planet orbiting a star called Ganton, just as Earth can be called 'Sol 3' in astronomical parlance).

Now, since you are a Senior Member I will officially ask you to stop disrupting threads with off-topic posts.
Yes,I realize my guess about The Beatles Revolution 9(Charles Manson making it so infamous)was incorrect and I appreciate the correct info,But there's already a 9th planet,Pluto.It has been recognized for decades.In fact it's even a double-planet.And yes I know a group of astronomers declassified it recently,but that was ridiculous.Why don't we also declassify Beethoven's 9th sympnony?Eight is enough.Why don't we call the 9th a "singspiel" since it's the only one that includes vocals?Back in 1973,we all know no one had discovered any planets around any other stars yet,.so what is this star called Ganton?It must be from some famous science-fiction novel I've never heard of.Thanks for congradulating me on my auspicious promotion even though it was achieved haphazardly.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 11:57

Yes,I realize my guess about The Beatles Revolution 9(Charles Manson making it so infamous)was incorrect and I appreciate the correct info,But there's already a 9th planet,Pluto.It has been recognized for decades.In fact it's even a double-planet.And yes I know a group of astronomers declassified it recently,but that was ridiculous.Why don't we also declassify Beethoven's 9th sympnony?Eight is enough.Why don't we call the 9th a "singspiel" since it's the only one that includes vocals?Back in 1973,we all know no one had discovered any planets around any other stars yet,.so what is this star called Ganton?It must be from some famous science-fiction novel I've never heard of.Thanks for congradulating me on my auspicious promotion even though it was achieved haphazardly.
In one last ditched effort to bring this shambling mess to a conclusiion - at least by dragging it back into the thread that birthed it.

"Ganton 9" would not be the 9th planet of our sun in our solar system the "Ganton" would be the name of the star and "9" would refer to the ninth panet of that star - "Earth" is not called "Earth 3", it is "Sol 3" (e.g. http://encyclopedia.farlex.com/Sol+3). There is no star called Ganton - it was a ficticious invention of Emerson, subconsciously prompted by the name of a London street near the Advison recording studio in Gosfield Street (map).

Beethoven's 9th is thus called because it was his 9th symphony. There are not 8 other versions of Karn Evil, just has Holywood didn't make The Madness of King George I or The Madness of King George II.

Now, enough of this rambling trivia.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 12:03
Or......

This extract from "Emerson Lake and Palmer: The show That Never Ends (A Musical Biography)" by George Forrester, Martyn Hansen and Frank Askew

"..the epic "Karn Evil 9" (sic), one of ELP's finest extended pieces to date.
The title was Pete Sinfield's, punning on his initial feeling that Emerson's piece was like carnival music. The number 9 was simply seen as having a "universal" character."

The book has no mention of this Ganton 9 thing. Trouble is..everyone has his nown memory of events.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 12:05
Why was it ridiculous that Pluto was officially classified as a dwarf planet?  It is one, definitely nowhere near the size of a full planet, smaller than other dwarf planets, and in fact it's a member of the Kuiper belt, mostly rock and ice, half the size of our moon and a third of its volume.  It's not even the biggest dwarf planet in our solar system (that's Eris).  From what my astro professor said last semester, one of the main reasons it was considered to be a "planet" this long was to honor the discoverer.

Sorry Dean, now the rambling trivia can end. Embarrassed
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 15:51
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Why was it ridiculous that Pluto was officially classified as a dwarf planet?  It is one, definitely nowhere near the size of a full planet, smaller than other dwarf planets, and in fact it's a member of the Kuiper belt, mostly rock and ice, half the size of our moon and a third of its volume.  It's not even the biggest dwarf planet in our solar system (that's Eris).  From what my astro professor said last semester, one of the main reasons it was considered to be a "planet" this long was to honor the discoverer.

Sorry Dean, now the rambling trivia can end. Embarrassed

Salty ... you taking classes from Bryan May or something? .... goodness ... I need a slide ruler!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 18:41
Nope, just one of the good professors at PSU. 
Steven Brodziak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 23:37
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Tales from Topographic Oceans has four of them.  
LOLI like thisLOL
Well, there it is. (Amadeus)
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 04:25
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Tales from Topographic Oceans has four of them.  

right!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345