Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dream Theater's New Track out June 29, 11AM EST
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater's New Track out June 29, 11AM EST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 06:12
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

So they basically welcomed [Mangini] to the band in a frenzy of media hype, then told him to go away while we write the album. Nice.

Just wait until Portnoy's return is announced... then you'll see a frenzy of media/forum attention thereby hyping the current album and MP's return equally (or am I just being cynical?).

If I were Mangini, I wouldn't get too comfortable on that drum stool

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
DavetheSlave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 06:25
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

So they basically welcomed [Mangini] to the band in a frenzy of media hype, then told him to go away while we write the album. Nice.

Just wait until Portnoy's return is announced... then you'll see a frenzy of media/forum attention thereby hyping the current album and MP's return equally (or am I just being cynical?).

If I were Mangini, I wouldn't get too comfortable on that drum stool

Big smile  I was thinking the same thing last night.
Avenged Sevenfold ??   I heard somewhere that that was where Portnoy was headed and that just don't make any sence to me.
Maybe just all hype and a planned propoganda thing.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 10:29
Listened another 3 times over the past few days....I am still just ok with it. But I would not expect them to release the "good stuff" yet. I am taking it as a teaser, I also think that is NOT gonna be the album cover but more of just an image for this song release.....hopefully.
I'm ok with the length of the song, I like longer songs anyhow, but I do kinda get lost in the keyboard portion. Everything seems to be toned down a lot and I think a lot of us are still reeling from the bombastic in your face prog metal epic 1st song on BC&SL.....which I for one enjoy very much!

I listened to Octavarium then the new song and it seemed to work better for me. Although based on this song I am not expecting anything earth shattering with the new album.

After seeing Portnoy with Neal Morse on T2 tour and his passion for playing, I wonder if he is really wanting to come back anytime soon? Especially with the new Adrenaline Mob project and all the other stuff, he seems pretty busy as usual.

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 12:01
Don't you guys enjoy at least Sacrificed Sons from "Octavarium"? I understand if you don't enjoy the whole album, though I do.

Anyway, this new song is a solid song, and I'm glad, because it means bigger and better things to come in September
DavetheSlave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 12:43
DT could play "three blind mice" and still be head and shoulders above any other acts out there Tongue

The DT bashers - well - they don't live in my house so I don't care.

Seriously - if I stop comparing them to themselves then it becomes pretty apparant that their worst albums wipe the floor with most of the other releases in the Prog Metal category.
What do the bashers want?  Another Images and Words with each release? How boring would that get after like the third reincarnation.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 13:06
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Don't you guys enjoy at least Sacrificed Sons from "Octavarium"? I understand if you don't enjoy the whole album, though I do.

Anyway, this new song is a solid song, and I'm glad, because it means bigger and better things to come in September
I enjoy all of Octavarium...the topic of Sacrificed Sons I am not sure matches with this new track. My problem is I am strictly judging this one song.
Before Octavarium's release had they issued I Walk Beside You...very good chance I would have not planned on buying that album.
Although based on this one song I do plan on buying the new album......regardless of that album cover.Dead
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 07:03
Originally posted by DavetheSlave DavetheSlave wrote:

Just wait until Portnoy's return is announced... then you'll see a frenzy of media/forum attention thereby hyping the current album and MP's return equally (or am I just being cynical?). If I were Mangini, I wouldn't get too comfortable on that drum stool

Big smile  I was thinking the same thing last night.
Avenged Sevenfold ??   I heard somewhere that that was where Portnoy was headed and that just don't make any sence to me.

Maybe just all hype and a planned propoganda thing.

Exactly - just look how many threads/posts there've been on PA/MMA/Most other rock music forums since the announcement of MP leaving... all very good advertising & raises DT's profile.

When/If MP returns, then you'll see it all again, only more so

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 07:34
I'm pretty impressed with this track to be honest.  A bit lighter than of late, but dramatic and technical, great vocals from Labrie, plenty of flash from Rudess and a killer Petrucci solo to boot.  What more could you ask for?  In fact I was just relieved that they still sound like DT!!

Jim, I regret to say that MP returning to DT I just don't see happening.  Looks like things have already gone a bit too far for a return.  Hope I'm wrong though.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 09:08
Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

Jim, I regret to say that MP returning to DT I just don't see happening.  Looks like things have already gone a bit too far for a return.  Hope I'm wrong though.

Roger, I'm probably just being Mr Cynical of Cynical City, but the whole thing looks a little... staged/contrived to me (especially if it's true that a drummer of Mike Mangini's talent is being used effectively as a session musician only).

I guess only time will tell (but then this is coming from a DT fan who looks back fondly to the days when Derek Sherinian was on keys )

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 20:09
What's with all the Octavarium hate? I think it's one of their best ever albums. The title track is probably the best epic they ever recorded. 

And the new song is great. I was a bit 'meh' on it upon first listen, but what prog song hits you on the first listen? It grew on me after a few subsequent play throughs. I have to say, Labrie sounds on fire, and so does Rudess. Mangini fits into the band very well. And I don't miss Portnoy's growled vocals! 
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 20:33

Roger, I'm probably just being Mr Cynical of Cynical City, but the whole thing looks a little... staged/contrived to me

There's YouTube videos circulating of DT's first few shows with Mangini. You should chekc them out; seeing is believing Wink
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2011 at 09:16
this is actually better than the original.

Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2011 at 09:52
BAD SALADDDDDDDDDD

Looks like they got a new drummer and keyboardist.
Bad Salad are f*ckin badass 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345