Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEloy Discovery Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 17:42
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Good summation

Thanks

On the subject of remasters there is nothing as bad in Eloy's back catologue as the 25th anniversary release of In A Glass House!

You mean in a compressed house? Dead

I only had the orginal CD's of Time To Turn and Planets and then gobbled up all the Eloy remasters as they became available. Time To Turn and Planets are fine to my ears. The subject of compression v dynamics is certainly a much discussed subject on PA.

Think I'm going to take the chance and get the remaster of Metromania and see if they managed to clean some of the mess. 1983-4 was a year with loads of horrible productions. Studios experimenting with new digital equipment and new mastering techs. My LP is a Direct Metal Master from Harvest. Even the first CD press was better.
Another album that is up at number one of albums that need a proper remix/remaster is Mike Rutherford's Smallcreep's Day. Wonderful album totally ruined by the production. I can not listen to it at home on my proper system without my ears starting to bleed.

/Steve
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 18:45
Is there no love for Eloy's `Ra' album at all?! I know many complain about the drum machine, but I actually liked it, thought it gave the music a very cold, robotic and isolating sound - perfect for the sci-fi/space themes of their music!

Besides, it's got all the usual Eloy trademarks, with some very catchy and quite accessible elements in amongst all the atmospheric keyboards and epic guitar solos. `Rainbow' was nice for a more commercial track too.

Besides, look at that beautiful cover (especially on vinyl)!
Moths View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 06:35
RA is totally ruined by the production. I pick it up from time to time and is unfortunately forced to get it off the turn table after one listening since it gives me a headache. Same sh*t as Rutherford's Smalcreep's Day. Good music totally ruined by production
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 21:06
Originally posted by Moths Moths wrote:

RA is totally ruined by the production. I pick it up from time to time and is unfortunately forced to get it off the turn table after one listening since it gives me a headache. Same sh*t as Rutherford's Smalcreep's Day. Good music totally ruined by production

I would have to disagree with you here, Ra is definitely a bad album in almost everything, production included. One of the few things Herr Bonnermann did wrong thought his career as Eloy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 22:21
I find material wise `Ra' is about on the same level as `Metromania' or `Performance', but I suppose it is let down by the sterile and flat production. But I find ANY of their albums better than `Destination', what an awful album! Very bland and characterless commercial AOR/rock, with very little to associate it with Eloy.

I have to admit I found the latest `Visionary' quite a letdown. I would have preferred they went out with the amazing `Ocean 2' as a swansong if the stuff on the `Visionary' album was the best they could come up. I think that's the most I've been disappointed by a new album from a classic prog band. However, it's a classic compared to the latest Van Der Graaf Generator album `ALT' – trust me, there's a special place in hell reserved for that one!

Hopefully it's them just them finding their feet again after time away, so another new album (which I DO hope we get from them) is an improvement!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 08:08
^^^ Haha I am hearing you here especially about VDGG's ALT - what a disaster area! I will check out Metromania soon, as it sounds interesting.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 10:07
Atomic!
I quite like `Metromania', even though it would never be confused as being a classic from them. Slightly more commercial than `Planets/Time To Turn', and often the production is a little cold and flat, but I do find myself digging it out of the CD shelf more often than not! Still very sci-fi and spacey sounding. The first three tracks, especially the longer `All Life Is One' are pretty great, but there's an awful throaway commercial piece called `Nightriders' near the end that's a little too basic and straightforward. Not very memorable.
Nice cover too, as usual!
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 11:32
I just recently discovered Eloy. Strangely enough, I found myself adoring "Colours" (seriously, 5 stars) and only mildly enjoying "Dawn" and "Ocean". Guess I just prefer songs over atmospheres. Have they made anything more in the vein of "Colours" that's good?

Edited by HarbouringTheSoul - August 14 2012 at 11:32
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 11:46
I really don't see what the big deal is with Eloy. I find them to be all pretty mediocre musicians. The vocals are horrible and distract more than anything. It might be different if the music was actually interesting but it's not. I've heard Ocean, Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes, Floating, and Dawn. I still shake my head in disbelief when I hear them. I just think they're overrated amongst prog fans. I need more variety in music and if something is going to be static, then at least make it more harmonically interesting. I get nothing from Eloy.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 11:56
^Check out "Colours". The vocals aren't better, but the music should be more up your alley. Less "noodling", more songwriting, more harmonic variety. I don't see your issue with the musicianship though. Their playing isn't very flashy, but it's certainly accomplished.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 12:05
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

^Check out "Colours". The vocals aren't better, but the music should be more up your alley. Less "noodling", more songwriting, more harmonic variety. I don't see your issue with the musicianship though. Their playing isn't very flashy, but it's certainly accomplished.

It's all a matter of opinion. I think they're an incredibly weak band creatively. That's just my opinion and I'm happy to formulated it after many listens to their music. They're not in the same league as other prog greats. In fact, they can't even begin to approach the level of musicianship that is required from this genre today. One thing that I didn't like about Eloy, besides their poor musicianship, was the lack of variety in their music. They seem stuck in one frame of mind. Give me Pink Floyd any day. By the way, flashy playing doesn't impress me, but it does add some spark of excitement to the music. I mean look at Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson. These guys had chops for days, but they were incredible musicians and were always forward-thinking. Eloy plod along with no end in sight. 
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 13:20
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

It's all a matter of opinion. I think they're an incredibly weak band creatively. That's just my opinion and I'm happy to formulated it after many listens to their music. They're not in the same league as other prog greats.

I didn't disagree with you on that.

In fact, they can't even begin to approach the level of musicianship that is required from this genre today.

I still don't understand the problem with their musicianship. As simplistic and repetitive much of their music is, it's always well-executed.

One thing that I didn't like about Eloy, besides their poor musicianship, was the lack of variety in their music. They seem stuck in one frame of mind.

Again, I recommend "Colours". You will be surprised.

By the way, flashy playing doesn't impress me, but it does add some spark of excitement to the music.

You're basically saying that flashy playing doesn't impress you, but excites you. That's a bit of a contradiction, isn't it? Tongue
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 14:02

I just recently discovered Eloy. Strangely enough, I found myself adoring "Colours" (seriously, 5 stars) and only mildly enjoying "Dawn" and "Ocean". Guess I just prefer songs over atmospheres. Have they made anything more in the vein of "Colours" that's good?
Colours was my favourite Eloy album for a while. The opening track is mighty stuff. I think they evolved over the next couple of albums (Planets and Time To Turn) developing their own brand of space rock with a nod to the past. I can remember hearing Planets on the Friday Rock Show all those years and at that time they were the first German band (bar perhaps Kraftwerk) that I could take seriouslly.Quite obviously they were taking some ideas from Pink Floyd and other prog bands but this was music that was a lot more powerfull to my ears if not scoring high on the originality scale.
Going back to your comments I would say Ocean is a tad overated. I think you will also enjoy Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes as long as you dont mind the obvious references to Floyd and some other prog bands (or perhaps you will like it because of those thingsSmile).

Edited by richardh - August 14 2012 at 14:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 14:49

I think you will also enjoy Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes as long as you dont mind the obvious references to Floyd and some other prog bands (or perhaps you will like it because of those thingsSmile).

I've only listened to the first track so far and found it to be the most blatant ripoff imaginable of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Haven't listened to the rest of the album yet, but I plan on doing so. And thanks for the recommendation on Planets and Time to Turn, will definitely check them out. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 15:11

You're basically saying that flashy playing doesn't impress you, but excites you. That's a bit of a contradiction, isn't it? Tongue
You misunderstood me. I'm not impressed by flashy playing but what I said was it adds a new contour to the music. A new level of excitement. I didn't say it excited me, but rather gave the music a facelift.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 15:21

You misunderstood me. I'm not impressed by flashy playing but what I said was it adds a new contour to the music. A new level of excitement. I didn't say it excited me, but rather gave the music a facelift.

If it gives the music a new level of excitement, then how is that not impressive? There's nothing wrong with finding flashy playing impressive.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 15:31

If it gives the music a new level of excitement, then how is that not impressive? There's nothing wrong with finding flashy playing impressive.

Well I suppose not, I guess I should have noted that I don't like flashy or technical playing for it's own sake. Dream Theater is a perfect example of this. I think too often DT just run scales because it sounds cool instead of it actually meaning something or pertaining to the music. But, then again, they're prog metal and I never understood the attraction to this style. Gobs and gobs of distortion never sat well with me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 15:33
I agree. No single good trait is enough to make for interesting music. It's always a combination of several.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 15:39

I agree. No single good trait is enough to make for interesting music. It's always a combination of several.

We agree on something? Damn...Wink Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 17:01
We didn't actually disagree on as many things as you might think. For instance, I didn't defend Eloy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>