Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLove for Tales from Topographic Oceans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 08:40
WHAT AN INCREDIBLE SET DESIGN!!! Roger Dean can officially be allowed go decorate my apartment

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

Sadly [...] my wife and I were flying out of O'Hare Airport on our way to the Virgin Islands to get married!
Must have been a bummer! LOLWink

<p style="font: 12pxormal ormal Arial; margin: 0px; min-height: 14px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;">For your listening pleasure!  Hear angel Mellotrons and devil Rickenbackers. You are invited.

<p style="font: 12pxormal ormal Arial; margin: 0px; min-height: 14px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;">

<p style="font: 12pxormal ormal Arial; margin: 0px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;">"The Revealing Science of God" starts at 0:41:18

<p style="font: 12pxormal ormal Arial; margin: 0px; min-height: 14px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;">

<p style="font: 12pxormal ormal Arial; margin: 0px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;">"The Remembering" starts at 1:01:25 

<p style="font: 12pxormal ormal Arial; margin: 0px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;">"The Ancient" starts at 1:22:40

<p style="font: 12pxormal ormal Arial; margin: 0px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;">"Ritual" starts at 1:44:00

<p style="font: 12pxormal ormal Arial; margin: 0px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;"> 

<p style="font: 12pxormal ormal Arial; margin: 0px; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;">

This was a MASSIVE bootleg that was taken out of circulation by the YES management, btw ... and it was 3 LP's and I came close to getting it, but did not have the moolah in those days to spend $75 dollars on it! However, I never made it to Berkeley where I likely would have found this in any of the stores there. I was not, however, aware that a video existed of it ... and yeah ... I would love to get a copy of it!

The order appears incorrect since they played TALES first in its entirety, took a break, and then played the other stuff and I believe they did Close to the Edge as an encore at the Long Beach Arena ... don't quote me on that.

I was told that the quality of the recording was not great, as it appeared to have been a copy of a copy, but then that's like saying that "Bonzo's Birthday Party" or "Live on Blueberry Hill" had exceptional quality, which they didn't, but the energy and fervor in the music ... was totally out of this world! (that was Led Zeppelin, btw).

[/QUOTE]
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 09:22
I very much like the version of Ritual on the Yesshows album. It has (like so much of the Yes material) a lot of balls/edge to it live in comparison with the studio recording. Our Mr Squire goes off one one during the middle too which is never a bad thing in my opinion. Smile
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 09:55
Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

I very much like the version of Ritual on the Yesshows album.

That performance is indeed epic.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 10:55
Originally posted by Josef_K Josef_K wrote:

Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

"Getting over overhanging trees" (...)

Doubtlessly one of the most beautiful melodies progressive rock has ever produced.

Haha yeah, every time I hear that melody I'm completely astonished that the song could get SO much better from already being so awesome. I keep thinking that "this HAS to be the best song off the album, how can you beat this?". Then "The Remembering" kicks in, and with it the only part of the album better than above mentioned melody. This part would be the transition from the synth playing the melody of the "relayer" part directly over to the "Stand on hills of long forgotten yesterdays". There are much more parts on the album that are just mindblowing though, where I just cannot resist giving the music my complete concentration, no matter if I'm listening with one earphone plugged in at work or from the vinyl at home.

ANOTHER fan of "The Remembering!"  Thanks for contributing!  

I particularly enjoy when the band kicks up the tempo during "Relayer....all the dying cried before you!"  

I sang that line out loud once in a store, and drew some odd glances.....

A friend sent me the latest re-mastered CD version of TFTO, and I've listened to it nearly every day for a month or so, just studying its composition and performance.....an amazing work, period.  

I wish the original Yes would re-form and tour with this as a "swan song", then retire. 
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 13:15

Originally posted by Josef_K Josef_K wrote:

Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

"Getting over overhanging trees" (...)Doubtlessly one of the most beautiful melodies progressive rock has ever produced.

Haha yeah, every time I hear that melody I'm completely astonished that the song could get SO much better from already being so awesome. I keep thinking that "this HAS to be the best song off the album, how can you beat this?". Then "The Remembering" kicks in, and with it the only part of the album better than above mentioned melody. This part would be the transition from the synth playing the melody of the "relayer" part directly over to the "Stand on hills of long forgotten yesterdays". There are much more parts on the album that are just mindblowing though, where I just cannot resist giving the music my complete concentration, no matter if I'm listening with one earphone plugged in at work or from the vinyl at home.

I particularly enjoy when the band kicks up the tempo during "Relayer....all the dying cried before you!"  
I sang that line out loud once in a store, and drew some odd glances.....
A friend sent me the latest re-mastered CD version of TFTO, and I've listened to it nearly every day for a month or so, just studying its composition and performance.....an amazing work, period.  
I wish the original Yes would re-form and tour with this as a "swan song", then retire. 

Art work is amazing too on the remastered edition. Love Roger Dean's work
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 14:48
This was my favorite album for many years.  When I came upon it in the mid 90's, no one told me it was bloated, overlong, self indulgent, or everything that was bad about prog (all things I've heard about it since).  After about 3 or 4 complete listens, I was completely emotionally tied to the album.  I listened to it almost every day, for years.  I still can't just listen to a single track from it (other than the live renditions of Revealing and Ritual, of course).  I rarely listen to it now, but did pick up the remaster in 2005(?) or so (Relayer too).  Relayer and Topographic are my top two Yes album, both being pretty much my favorite thing by them (I can't really pick one over the other).  It's not my favorite album of all time anymore, but I'd say it's still easily in the top 10.  I can't really pick a track that is my favorite on the album, as I see it as a complete work that needs to be heard in total to really appreciate.  Easily my favorite concept album ever.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 15:47

I like the whole piece ... and I still don't know the names of the 4 pieces and I ... don't care!

When it goes on my stereo or my car ... it starts at the beginning and ends at the end ... the same thing if I'm going to listen to Eroica or the 9th! ... well, you can go for the "hit" and just listen to the chorale part ... and miss the rest ... what the heck.

This is the reason why I do not consider, or do this ... this kind of music, is NOT rock'n'roll, or a "song" ... Stack ... these are the symphonies of our time by our generation ... why degrade them to the level of a "song". Or to the level of pop music ... wow ... and we keep thinking that all this crap means something ... and in the end, we don't even believe it!

I'm really bummed and sad right now ... I have never thought of "Passion Play", or "Thick as a Brick", or "TFTO", or "Yeti", or "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" ... and so many other pieces as ... just another song!

It defeats the whole point, idea and concept of "progressive" ...

... forget it ... go back to playing 3 and 4 minute songs, mosh!

Edited by moshkito - October 02 2012 at 16:37
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 21:41
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I like the whole piece ... and I still don't know the names of the 4 pieces and I ... don't care!

When it goes on my stereo or my car ... it starts at the beginning and ends at the end ... the same thing if I'm going to listen to Eroica or the 9th! ... well, you can go for the "hit" and just listen to the chorale part ... and miss the rest ... what the heck.

This is the reason why I do not consider, or do this ... this kind of music, is NOT rock'n'roll, or a "song" ... Stack ... these are the symphonies of our time by our generation ... why degrade them to the level of a "song". Or to the level of pop music ... wow ... and we keep thinking that all this crap means something ... and in the end, we don't even believe it!

I'm really bummed and sad right now ... I have never thought of "Passion Play", or "Thick as a Brick", or "TFTO", or "Yeti", or "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" ... and so many other pieces as ... just another song!

It defeats the whole point, idea and concept of "progressive" ...

... forget it ... go back to playing 3 and 4 minute songs, mosh!

I think "The Remembering" is more of a movement than a song.....
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 21:58
As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, it is not frequent on the playlist but I hear something new and different every time I listen to it.  It is an album that I must listen to beginning to end (if possible) at least once every 3 or 4 months.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 23:28
I'm seeing all of these positive things being said about this album, now I just really want to listen to it (as I've never fully done before).
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 23:52
^ Ah! The evangelistic peer/"peer" pressure Big smile ... unless it's a "Bazinga".

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 02 2012 at 23:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 06:23
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Ah! The evangelistic peer/"peer" pressure [IMG]smileys/smiley4.gif" alt="Big smile" title="Big smile[/IMG] ... unless it's a "Bazinga".

[=D>]

Nice. It really is. Probably one of the most complex albums with in the progsphere 👊
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 13:28
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

I'm seeing all of these positive things being said about this album, now I just really want to listen to it (as I've never fully done before).

But seriously, you shouldn't really push yourself. If you don't like it, then it's probably forever ... like what I have with Genesis' The Lamb.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 18:00
^Well, I listened to it twice and I'll have to say that I really did enjoy a lot of the album. It has been almost a year since last time I tried listening to the album, and since I'm relatively new to prog so that seems like a long time ago. Overall I'm enjoying it but definitely not to the same extent as Relayer or CttE.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 19:06

You know I gotta say that THE REVEALING SCIENCE OF GOD(DANCE OF THE DAWN) is the best track on the album for me. It is also a true testiment of the sheer skill and keyboard/synth wizardry of Rick Wakeman. He's plays with such grace, feeling and can creat these supernatural ambient soundscapes that can just stay lodged in your mind for days. Beautiful song. It's an incredible epic tale of god and his wonderous creations. I shall dance in the dawn once more...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 19:34
I certainly like the album, though I haven't been able to apreciate it to it's full glory yet. Right now I feel like listening to it again (usually I do when I read so many comments about how great the album is). Still, I believe the album would indeed have been better if only Revealing Sience of God had been about 20 min, and the rest of the songs had been reduced to about 10 min. Then it might have been every bit as great as CttE in my book.
The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 22:29
I truly love "Tales". To me, it stands out as one of the greatest albums of all time.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 04:11
Nous Sommes Du Soleil we love when we play we a hear a sound and alter our returning We drift the shadows and course our way on home
Flying home
Going home

Bowdown  Cry Beer

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - February 02 2013 at 04:15
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Ajay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 04:31
Truly a landmark and an inspiration. Any musician whose hope for their work is flagging could do worse than to remind themselves that a double album of symphonic rock, one track per side, made it to the top of the charts.

The structure of the work is inspired, from its scriptural framework to the sectional emphasis on different instruments to the return and development of ideas. My favourite Yes cover design, perfect for someone who was raised on a steady diet of Erich von Daniken and Lyall Watson, and a treat in the days when buying an album meant poring over every detail of the gatefold sleeve while the music thundered in one's headphones.

I got this album on vinyl, I got it on CD, I got it as a download. When the next revolution in music media happens, I'll get it again. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 10:58
^ Alright! I only got it as a download and as a CD. Not thinking about getting it on vinyl because I don't have a gramophone and the cover may not have a newspaper in it.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - February 02 2013 at 10:59
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>