Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeil Peart down on band's 70s work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 03:40
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Rush have been crap for the last 20 years. They were pretty average for the 10 years before that. Signals was their last stong album. Peart had a crappy snare sound after that. I reckon he needs a wake up call. Hemispheres is their best with Signals. Bit the 1974-77 period wasn't much better than the 83-91 period.

Snare sounds aside (I agree the drums and Geddy's bass sound best on Signals), do you really think albums like Grace Under Pressure, Counterparts, Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels are "crap"?

Grace Under Pressure is good. Counterparts is pretty bad (unavoidable when playing alt rock), but not without a few redeeming features. Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels are prime crap, however.

Edited by King Crimson776 - March 05 2014 at 03:40
moodyxadi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 11:02
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I hear you John. 

I doubt he intended to insult anyone, Neil seems like a nice chap.  But there is sort of an arrogance that develops over time (more pronounced in Waters) where the older, wiser, matured artist looks down his nose with a sneer at the youthful days.  It may make perfect sense to these guys who are now all businessmen, but not to me. 

I give Rush a lot of credit for the constant pursuit of refinement and the seriousness with which they took their career, I really do.  But it's just always been this way for me.....with very few exceptions, the spark is captured early in rock music....it is a young person's game in my opinion.  For me as a fan, it's about the fun and energy, not the precision of the production or the social conscience of their latest lyric.  All about the spark in the eye, the fire in the belly. 

As long as we're talking about rock and pop music, it can't be more true than this.
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.
ProgVanWinkle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 11:15
I can't help but disagree with that.  I'd give 3 examples, and they are not obscure ones.

IMO the earliest recorded work of Genesis, Yes (and I might even include the Beatles) are "not necessarily" their strongest bodies of work.  

And I personally would include Rush in that category.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 11:42
Originally posted by ProgVanWinkle ProgVanWinkle wrote:

I can't help but disagree with that.  I'd give 3 examples, and they are not obscure ones.

IMO the earliest recorded work of Genesis, Yes (and I might even include the Beatles) are "not necessarily" their strongest bodies of work.  

And I personally would include Rush in that category.

Well let me clarify...by early/young work I don't necessarily mean their first album or two.  I mean the albums they made in their young prime....Cryme to Selling England....and YA to Topographic would be the peak ranges I'd pick for those bands. 

Really what I'm getting at is that guys together in an established band do their best work together in their 20s, when the spark and the "band of brothers" effect is highest.  Once they hit their 30s and have kids, assuming they're still in the band, it changes to more of a business churning out product.  It may be well done, quality product, but it lacks the spark of the youthful work...imo.

surrogate people View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 17:52
Well, as usual, it`s a matter of taste. But I must admit that I've always felt something similar to what Mr. Peart states. One of the things about Rush that I find curious is that while most bands peak early in their career, they started their best period around their seventh or eight album. I have nothing against those early records but I don't think that if it were for them Rush would be a favourite of mine. From the eighties on they started focusing on songwriting, delivering much better compositions, and improving as musicians themselves. Geddy Lee started to actually sing, and while his voice might not be one of the best, he did much better than his former falsetto screams, which honestly I find a little embarrassing. Not to mention the improvement in his bass skills. Alex Lifeson got into a more harmonic approach, adding a touch of interest to his role as a hard rock player. And Peart definitively got a hell better as a drummer and a lyricist, so I must agree with him. I'll take Power windows or Counterparts over Hemispheres anyday, although I know that's not the way most fans of the band feel. 
Surrogate People they walk on by, they walk on by
When they replace you
They live your life, they live your life
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 06:09
Most artists who have been at it for a while like their newer stuff better than their older stuff otherwise, why keep making new music?  
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 08:13
bAND members rarely give their early material any credit. Fans love them of course as we listen to them constantly and it grows as a part of our lives but members of bands move on and want to listen to their latest album or play it live rather than move into nostalgia mode. 

i think Neil's crazy for not acknowledging the essential past of Rush =- thats what makes them great. 

However I still think Moving Pictures is a treasure like Neil. In any case Peart is a stunning drummer and thats all that matters despite his weird observations of their career.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 08:19
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

bAND members rarely give their early material any credit. Fans love them of course as we listen to them constantly and it grows as a part of our lives but members of bands move on and want to listen to their latest album or play it live rather than move into nostalgia mode.
Yeah, there's lots of creative people - and I guess I'd count Neil as one of them - who are terrible judges of their own work. I think a lot of it comes from them perceiving flaws in the work that the rest of us don't notice because we as the audience only judge the work by the work itself, whilst the artist is constantly comparing what they produced to the way they envisaged it and noticing all the differences.

Either way, any Rush discography that excludes 2112 and Farewell to Kings but keeps hold of Hold Your Fire and Presto is a goof by my reckoning. No offence to Mr Peart but based on those comments I'd rate him higher as a drummer and lyricist than I do as a music reviewer.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 09:09
I am a bit surprised by the fuss over his opinion.  I mean, it's hardly something new.  Of course artists are more interested in talking about their latest work and if they aren't, there's a good possibility they are has beens milking their legacy of successful albums.  Some say it nicely and some don't but usually artists don't live in the past and there's nothing wrong with that.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 22:27
Well, there's no more "fuss" here than any other thread....we're just conversing.  Second, there's a fair bit of room between "living in the past" and trashing works like Hemispheres and Permanent Waves.  I think someone as articulate as Neil is perfectly capable of discussing his new work at great length without having to discard his first seven albums.  

On another note, in the same book Alex is noted as calling Grace Under Pressure "Rush's last heavy album." 

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 22:31
Trashing is a word you have coined to describe his opinion.  All he has done is state what he thinks of them but because of your fondness for the albums, you feel entitled to overstate the case.  He has simply said he feels embarrassed about those records and wishes they would go away.  There's nothing wrong with that.  If that alone makes you feel entitled to say he's cracked (and others have echoed similar sentiments), I don't see anything wrong in my saying you all are making a fuss about it.  Peart has no obligation to be nice about his own work precisely because it is HIS work.  He was there, he wrote the lyrics, he played the drums, he's entitled to think they are cringeworthy because they are (partly) his creations.

Edited by rogerthat - March 07 2014 at 22:37
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 02:24
^Accept a load of fans bought 2112 which saved the band from extinction. To not recognise that fact is odd. Peart is being a bit too 'cold' about this imo.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 02:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^Accept a load of fans bought 2112 which saved the band from extinction. To not recognise that fact is odd. Peart is being a bit too 'cold' about this imo.

Well in the same vein Genesis had to move to pop to remain commercially relevant.  For which they get bashed as sellouts.  We'll have to agree to disagree; I do not think artists should concern themselves at all about what the fans think of their older albums.  Their views are unlikely to match.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 02:40
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Well in the same vein Genesis had to move to pop to remain commercially relevant.  For which they get bashed as sellouts.  We'll have to agree to disagree; I do not think artists should concern themselves at all about what the fans think of their older albums.  Their views are unlikely to match.

That was not the point I was trying to make. Peart seems to have become emotionally disconnected from his own music. Different opinions are always nice but to actually feel embarrassed about an album that saved the band from going out of existence is strange. Genesis is altogether a different argument and not relevant to this at all. Genesis basically changed their audience something that Rush never did.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 13:04
Don't most artists prefer their recent work to the early anyway? Especially if they've been active for as long as Neil Peart has, and hence have probably changed a lot personality-wise during their career.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 11:50
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

why keep making new music?  

You mean "new OLD song" that is supposed to be new music, right?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 12:23
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Don't most artists prefer their recent work to the early anyway? Especially if they've been active for as long as Neil Peart has, and hence have probably changed a lot personality-wise during their career.

Nope. Not all of them.

I don't hear Peter Hammill or Roy Harper, or the real poets and writers worrying about what they wrote yesterday, or what they said and felt yesterday.

And that is the difference for me. Immature rich boy makes it big in a band, and now thinks that he is a star, and he didn't know a thing when he was a kid, and he believes, NOW. Whatevahhhh!!!

It just tells you that they are not "artists of the heart", because if they were, they would not be negating "themselves", or a part of them that helped them grow and get to the point where they are now! It's not always a "lesson", and it doesn't have to be!

Sorry. Glad to get rid of all RUSH material in my collection!

Oh wait. I don't have any! And never will!

Edited by moshkito - March 09 2014 at 12:24
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 14:41
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Nope. Not all of them.

I don't hear Peter Hammill or Roy Harper, or the real poets and writers worrying about what they wrote yesterday, or what they said and felt yesterday.

And that is the difference for me. Immature rich boy makes it big in a band, and now thinks that he is a star, and he didn't know a thing when he was a kid, and he believes, NOW. Whatevahhhh!!!

It just tells you that they are not "artists of the heart", because if they were, they would not be negating "themselves", or a part of them that helped them grow and get to the point where they are now! It's not always a "lesson", and it doesn't have to be!

Sorry. Glad to get rid of all RUSH material in my collection!

Oh wait. I don't have any! And never will!

I find it funny how you know him so well to call him and others, "Immature rich boy..." and after 40+ yrs calling him out as not an "artist of the heart" and others. And to your point you know for a fact that both Peter Hammill and Roy Harper have no negative critique on their past work?

I for one have no problem with an artist saying...."I don't like that, I can do better next time, that is not my favorite pc of music, hate it!" That to me breeds the desire to do better, not for you or I as fans..but as he the music artist and their craft.

You claim to be a writer moshkito, so you have zero negative feelings for all your past work? I find that hard to believe...

Have a great day!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 21:16
hot damn....

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 21:54
You would never hear John Rutsey saying such a thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>