Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLazland playlist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 04:37
Saturday night, half an hour before England's first World Cup game. It has been a busy old day....

I got up early (for a Saturday) and watched England come so close to beating the All Blacks. It was 28-27, and an incredible game of rugby. For those of you reading my blog who love the game, all I can say is get your money on England to win next year's World Cup now anti-post. Lancaster is a genius of a coach.

Wales had a heavy defeat later to South Africa, and deservedly so. We are going backwards. Time for a serious rethink about the whole structure and attitude of the game here.

So, to tonight's musical delights prior to the footie.

I decided tonight would be a classic Genesis night to start. The mix I chose was exclusively Gabriel era, and went like this:

The Lamb sides one & two. I went bonkers to Hairless Heart blasting out of the new sound system.

From Selling England, Firth of Fifth, Hackett's finest hour, and The Cinema Show, a gorgeous piece about young love, and mature advice. This itself morphed into the achingly beautiful Aisle Of Plenty, a paean to a disappearing country.

Supper's Ready. A collection of songs, rather than a single epic. Gabriel always said this was a rehearsal for The Lamb. I have always thought he understated a magnificent piece, which remains, to me, a beautiful tribute to humanity and God.

The Musical Box. I first heard this as an adolescent fourteen year old. I had purchased And Then There Were Three, and was told by a contemporary, about a couple of years older, to not pay too much attention, and get some "proper" 
Prog! When I heard this, I fell in love, and it remains to this day my favourite Genesis track from my favourite Genesis album. English to its core, but so mature in its treatment of a love unrequited, and never realised.

To finish, The Knife. A bunch of English public school boys tapping into the zeitgeist of the times, singing, and rocking, the revolution. 

After that, it was Marillion live, with a DVD sent to me by those grand chaps at the web. The selection played was the wonderful Thos Strange Engine, featuring perhaps the finest guitar solo of all time, Afraid of Sunlight, from an album which, had it been made by anyone else, would have stormed the world, and, to finish, The Great Escape, the emotional conclusion to the Brave story.

After that, I was supposed to post the blog. However, after four pints of Cwrw Blasus, and three glasses of wine, the old Lazland eyelids started to get heavier and heavier.

Yep, I missed the football, fell asleep, not waking up until 2.00 a.m. This blog, therefore, is being posted a wee bit lateLOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 23:07
^ haha beautiful Captain Laz!! I'm enjoying the Footballing as well. Too bad about England losing to those bloody rescilent Italians. I may be half Italian and love RPI, but I was hoping for a draw to ensure both teams would advance in the group leg. Ah well. A little GENESIS always soothes the soul and heals wounds.
Nice list.
Lets hope England prevails in their next 2 matches. I think they shall.

One last thing I wanted to ask you, since we are both on an Arena kick right now. Have you heard Clive Nolan's Alchemy yet?
Have a great day, Chap.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 23:10
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Today was my first commute on a train to work since my operation, and that was a milestone I was happy to get out of the way.
Another review today, this time of Sean Filkins wonderful War And Peace & Other Stories. This purchase was thanks to my old friend, Thomas (Tszirmay). When Thomas gives a rave review to an album, it is almost certain that 
I will feel the same and really appreciate it. He is, of course, not the only such reviewer I follow on the site, but, it is fair to say, he is more responsible than most for debits in the old bank account!LOL
Tonight, having worked on, and posted, the review, I am watching a documentary about a great Welsh footballer, John Hartson, he of Arsenal, West Ham, and Celtic fame. For this type of show, it is very interesting and entertaining. Of course, tomorrow, the World Cup starts. I, tomorrow, will start to think of appropriate prog to play whilst watching the games. Does anyone have any ideas?

Football and Prog? Yeah I have a few tracks that help me get geared up to watch a quality match.

Nine Inch Nails--Discipline
Rush--Vital Signs
The Prodigy--Poison
Depeche Mode--Never Let Me Down Again (Split Mix)
Goblin---Magic Thriller
Iron Maiden--These Colors Don't Run
Aphex Twin--Heliosphan
YES--Lift Me Up
Soulfly--Umbabarauma (70's Brasil Mix) --this is the ultimate football song! ;)
Soulfy ---Umbabarauma--"world cup mix."

These songs all resemble power, strength, discipline and motivation. All of what you need to be a great footballer to begin with. ;).

Also Steve, to refer to your last post. I just want to say that I have a ton Of respect for the collaborators on PA. Some work tirelessly writing review after review. It's impressive and helpful, so to the likes of yourself I give many thanks.

Lastly I think you will be happy to now that I am routing for England to win the World Cup. Love to See them pull it off!

Be well and I hope you are feeling better after your operation. ;)

Couple of tracks to look up there, Nicholas, so thanks. Will definitely try the Aphex Twin one.
Nice to know you are cheering for England. However, most of us here are rather realistic about this year. As a mate said at work today.....England have two chances of winning. 
Slim and f**k allOuch

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 16:22
A whole week since my last blog. The reason for this is fairly simple.....it has been a whole week since I listened to any music (of any genre). As this is a blog on a music site, it seemed pretty pointless posting stuff when I hadn't listened to any music.

I quite often take a bit of a break, although an entire week is somewhat rare. It is not as if I have been on holiday. I have been at work all week, and a busy one it was, too.

Nope. It has been a beautiful week, weather wise, here in God's Own Country, so I have taken full advantage of that, especially now that my foot is improving beyond all expectations. It is nowhere near full mobility, but I have a lot of hope I will get there.

I have also been watching a fair bit of the football and cricket. In the former, England departed early. I bought Private Eye today, and the front cover said it all really. It had a photo of the England team plane landing in Brazil, and a speech caption by the pilot, which said......"Shall I keep the engines running?"

So, to the return of prog to Lazland. A break is good sometimes. It means you come back to your beloved music fresh and excited.

I started off with IQ's Road Of Bones. This got the five star review from me a few weeks back, and the more I listen, the more I feel that was the correct rating, because it gets better with each listen. It is a really complex and dark piece of work, and something they should all be exceptionally proud of.

As I listen to this (regular readers will know that I write this blog as I go along, so to speak. It is a record of an entire evening), I am reading my newspaper (The Times, delivered via my iPad), and a story of a South African Broadcasting Executive, who took away a fairly gorgeous 22 year old topless lady as a gift, following a visit to a bunch of traditional tribal leaders. Nice work if you can get it, I suppose!

And so, after a particularly tasty homemade burger, potatoes, and salad prepared by the wife and mother in law, we move onto the main drinking and music listening part of the evening.

Whilst my father in law and my wife watch a recording of Aberystwyth Show (they have family there), I get on with a fairly eclectic Saturday night montage, which goes something like this.....

Asia. Wildest Dreams. Unlike most, I regard this album as a true classic of its kind, an attempt to fuse progressive rock with the huge American FM Radio sound. This is an incredible piece of music, which rocks along, and I still love to this day. The lyrics are extremely knowing in their condemnation of the prevailing political theory.

Asia. Never In A Million Years. From the second album, which was even more panned than the first. It was not as good, granted, but it did hold a couple of gems, of which this is my favourite. A good old fashioned love song, set to an expansively produced wall of sound. The lyrics could have been written for the most beautiful woman in the world, the lady who loves and looks after me, in spite of all of my little foibles. I am a lucky man, indeed.

Carly Simon. Do The Walls Come Down. A break from prog, to listen to the most sumptuous female vocalist of all time. This is a gorgeous song, and I am listening to the live version, produced by T Bone, and actually attended by a good friend of mine, who lived near Martha's Vineyard at the time. This is a bitter love song, of betrayal and regret. Do those emotional Walls come down when you think of what you miss?

Carly Simon. Coming Around Again/Itsy Bitsy Spider. I think I must be in a bit of an emotional mood tonight, although, as I write this, I am only on my second glass of wine, so am far from being drunk. I adore this song, the soundtrack from the Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep film, Heartburn, another song of betrayal, but picking yourself up from the floor, fighting back, and moving forward. I think it might be worth pointing out here I have only been married once, and love my wife unutterably. However, this song does remind me very much of a couple of relationships in the distant past, when I had to pick myself up following some nasty happenings. It is, though, ultimately, a positive song, and nursery rhymes never sounded so good.

Edison's Children. The Awakening. Talk about emotional, this is from the superlative debut of Blackwood & Trewavas, and features at its denouement the choir of all that is Marillion. It is, though, true to say that these two stand up entirely on their own merits. This is the highlight of an incredible album, which builds up from a slow burning start to a massive wall of sound. I am very proud of the fact that my review of this album helped the boys to achieve commercial success, via a particularly good internet campaign.

Gene. I Can't Take It. My late Best Man's favourite band, a sort of Smiths lite band. This was a decent single from a bunch who nearly, but not quite, made it. Me and Chris had a couple of damn fine nights seeing them live, though!

Judie Tzuke. God Only Knows. This beautiful woman, and her beautiful voice, have figured on the Lazland Playlist blog before. This is a copy of the Beach Boys track, in itself one of the finest pieces of music ever written. This version is as good, believe me. A triumph from a woman who deserves so much more attention in the world of commercial music.

Roger Waters. It's A Miracle. Time to start going a little bit darker. From Amused To Death, which I regard as being this great man's finest moment, including Floyd. The way the story of man's folly and immaturity unfolds is a wonder to behold, and the final guitar burst sends the hairs on the back of your neck into nuclear alert. Incredible and genius, simple as.

Alan Parsons Project. Limelight. Gary Brooker. Sumptuous. Mmmmmmmmmm. "I can see the world in a different light....."

Yes. I Am Waiting. In keeping with the (mainly) romantic theme, this is amongst Anderson's finest love songs, co-written with Trevor Rabin, from another album which I feel attracts a great deal of unfair criticism. This is a song which contains all that is best of this particular Yes phase, hard rock, soaring emotions, and the voice that is at the heart of this great band. I am sure that the new album next month will be extremely competent. I am sure it will have some great moments. But it will not have Jon Anderson, and it was his voice and unique vision that made me fall in love with Yes. It is not the same without him, sorry.

Martin Orford. Ray of Hope. The first time that David Longdon came to my attention, this is an exceptionally gorgeous song from an album which I still hope will not prove to be great songwriter's swan song. Come on Martin, you have far too much to give. On the evidence of The Old Road, not to resume performing would have qualified as a capital crime not so long ago.

Martin Orford. Endgame. The best single track I have in my entire collection. Have I said that before? I don't know, but the regret, emotional wrench, and sheer English repression of outrage make this amongst the finest pieces of work ever to pass by the Laz ears. 

Deep Purple. Smoke On The Water. I am not sure why I put this on tonight's playlist, really. It is nowhere near their best, but, all the same, a very clever bit of fun with perhaps the most recognisable guitar riff of all time at its heart. Talking of smoke, Mr Laz has not now had a ciggie for four and a half months. Do I feel better? Do I feck!

Spock's Beard. Goodbye To Yesterday. A most lovely track from the wonderful V, and, in reality, the template for much of the best Transatlantic stuff. Neal Morse at his finest.

Rainbow. Gates of Babylon. THE favourite band of my yoof, I loved this lot. Blackmore was my hero, and Dio the purveyor of sword, sorcery, love, mystery, and pure hard rock. Long Live Rock and Roll was the swan song of this duo's collaboration, and, in truth, it showed. This, and Rainbow Eyes, were my favourites. It was fun whilst it lasted, though. And that gypsy violin........

Marillion. Man of a Thousand Faces. Hogarth era at its best, this from their first, brave, foray into independence from major label chains. Thankfully, they produced an album which was musically brilliant, marvellously produced, full of heart, and unutterably Marillion, i.e. honest to its core. Nobody else in the world of music sings with the emotional range of H, and this track exemplifies this unlike any other. The closing passages scream at you, and drip with feeling. Trewavas never sounded better on bass, btw.

John Wetton. The Smile Has Left Your Eyes. A solo version of a rather sad Asia track, again from the somewhat unloved second album. This version has none of the intensity of the original, but is a pleasant curiosity for all that.

Black Sabbath. Die Young. Again, a track which takes me back to my callow yoof. 1979. I was 15. The Heaven And Hell album was my favourite for so long, and remains close to my heart to this day. This is by far the cleverest track on the album, with its mix of pounding rock, and progressive undertones.

Led Zeppelin. Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You. I was reminded of Zep by, incredibly, seeing an advert for some bloody silly blokey perfume, with Whole Lotta Love as its accompaniment. This, btw, from a band who refused, in the 1970's, to release any singles in the UK, as it would constitute a "sell out". Everyone, and anyone, has their price, eh? Anyhow, this is from those heady, innocent, days of the first album, a delicious mix of blues and proto hard rock.

And so, there we are. A long blog, but, hey, it has been a whole week. As I write this, I am now watching a show with my father in law before putting him to bed, so no more music this evening. I am also now on my fourth glass of red wine, so perhaps it might be an idea to think about hankering down, anyway!

As ever, thank you so much for reading my thoughts.

Nos da.

Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 17:18
Da iawn. Wales were a bit closer to the Saffers this week!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 18:45
Judy....I have "Welcome to the Cruise"    Nice album!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 11:34
omg I don't blame you for kicking off your week with IQ. Nicholl's voice is that of a flower that blooms during the rites of spring. Just an astonishingly beautiful master at conveying the emotional and the powerful all at once. IQ as a whole, are in prime season right now. Well played. :)

All in all, glad to hear you've kicked your cigi habit and the foot will be ready for the pitch soon enough. ;)

Keep proggin' Steve. We all love to hear it. :)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 09:23
Originally posted by Kirillov Kirillov wrote:

Da iawn. Wales were a bit closer to the Saffers this week!

Big smile Yep, but they still lostCry

That shoulder charge at the end was about the doziest piece of defending I have ever seen, which is saying something.

Also, 19 points ahead at one stage. When will they learn to close games out??
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 09:27
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Judy....I have "Welcome to the Cruise"    Nice album!

JudieWink www.tzuke.com

Welcome to the Cruise was a fantastic debut album, and did quite well commercially over here.

In the last week, or so, Judie has featured on BBC Radio a little bit, so is still keeping a nice profile a fair few years after that album.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 09:28

omg I don't blame you for kicking off your week with IQ. Nicholl's voice is that of a flower that blooms during the rites of spring. Just an astonishingly beautiful master at conveying the emotional and the powerful all at once. IQ as a whole, are in prime season right now. Well played. :)

All in all, glad to hear you've kicked your cigi habit and the foot will be ready for the pitch soon enough. ;)

Keep proggin' Steve. We all love to hear it. :)

Thumbs Up

The day I stop proggin' is the day I am put six feet under!

No, delete that. Jon Anderson in some form will be playing at the Heavenly Gates as I enterLOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 11:14
Off to sunny Bristol for a team meeting today. It is rather silly, the setup in my team. We have people in Gloucester (sort of southern Midlands of England), Taunton, Bristol (SW England), Cardiff (capital of Wales), Swansea (SW Wales), and me in proper West Wales, or God's Own Country as it is more properly referred to in these parts. However, with the increasing centralisation and urbanisation of both the organisation I work for, and the country in general, this will, in the near future, be reduced to merely two locations, namely Bristol and Cardiff. That basically means either more job losses, or a ridiculously long commute, the alternative to this being flexible working patterns at, for example, home, although I despair of this ever being properly introduced.

The train journey for me today is a total of six hours, i.e. three each way, this owing to the fact that the Welsh infrastructure is basically akin to something Pooh and Tigger would find primitive.

So, then, after sort of chilling with the newspaper and BBC Radio Five via an iPad App, the music went on, and the first of today's delights was Panic Room's latest, Incarnate, given a four star review by me a little whole back. A superb album, which improves on each listen.

And so, after a fascinating, informative, stimulating, corporate joy of life fulfilling meeting, the journey home, which was planned perfectly in order to arrive home about 6.00 p.m. this allowing a good hour for a drinkie at the local with son and dog prior to supper. One has to get one's priorities right, you know!

First album on journey home was Steve Hackett's debut, Voyage of the Acolyte. It is hard to think that next year, this rather interesting album will be 40 years old. It is not my favourite of his (that, I think, is probably Spectral Mornings or Genesis Revisited), but it is, nonetheless, a lovely album fully in keeping with Hackett's contributions to Genesis at the time. I haven't reviewed much Hackett, and really ought to do so, when I get the time.

Change trains at Cardiff for the perennially late Swansea train. Sitting opposite me is Gareth Thomas, a mighty fine (retired) Welsh rugby player, who also has the distinction of being the first major rugby star to come out as gay. I did not say anything. I am not comfortable with bothering people when they might not appreciate being bothered. Musical pleasure was Sylvan's Force of Gravity. This is yet another album not reviewed (I really must retire from work and get on with it!). I adore this band, and this release from 2009 is an excellent one. Not in the same sphere as the seminal Posthumous Silence or Sceneries, but solid, with much of that goose bump inducing wall of sound they create. Good news is that 2014 will see the release of new album, Home. A must buy for me. I did actually have the pleasure and privilege of interviewing members of the band for the site, and you can see this at page four of the Interviews section on the forum.

And so to the final part of the journey, the wonderfully on time Swansea to Carmarthen train, and for final musics this fine summer evening, The Who, Endless Wire. Their last studio album, now, of course, reduced to a duo following Entwistle's departure from this mortal coil in delicious old rocker style, this was released in 2006. It is a good effort, made doubly so when you come to an acceptance that they were simply never, ever, going to make the likes of Who's Next, Quadrophenia, and etc again. As a late period piece of work, it is representative, as clever as you would expect music written by Pete to be, and enjoyable. This is my first listen to it in a long while.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 12:50
^ wow with all that 'Trains' talk, I'd think maybe Porcupine Tree's 'Trains' will get some play in those proggy ears of yours.
I also really like Sylvan. I own Posthumous Silence and sceneries as well. Thank you for informing me about a new album from them coming late this year. I shall be on it. :)

And since your a little older than me kindly hold the gates of Prog open for me when I arrive to the great gig in the sky.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 16:53
Nigh on a whole week again since the last blog. I suppose it's a jolly good job that it was never meant to be a daily thing. Worst still, I could be failing a corporate target for blogging output.

The reason for the absence is my mother being rushed into hospital (on the night of my last blog, after I got home), with serious breathing issues. Transpires she has had a bout of pneumonia, and she is expected to remain in hospital for a couple more days, just to clear all remaining infection. She is, though, hugely improved since the scare last week, and looked really good tonight, and was in fine, fighting, form.

I don't know. Living longer does, naturally, bring a societal celebration, but it does come at a bit of a cost in terms of problems later in life. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it is not long ago that most people simply died quickly with a sudden rush of pain to the chest, and, lights out, all over. Sometimes, I really do feel it might have been better that way.

Anyhow, I decided to have a small montage before going to bed. It is 9.42 p.m. as I write this passage of the blog.

First up is the Fly From Here Suite from the last Yes album, or side one as we called it in the good old days. I play this in anticipation of the forthcoming album which, judging from the comments from those who have either obtained it illegally, or got a promo copy (it will be 98% former, 2% latter), is a pile of old pants. I will keep an open mind, although my opinion about Yes without Jon Anderson is well known on this site.

Having said that, I think the FFH suite is superb, a gorgeous creation from the era which I rather loathed (Drama), and Benoit David, especially, comes out of it with huge credit. Pity about the rest of the album, really, which I found very ordinary.

Next up, Van Der Graaf, Every Bloody Emperor, the highlight from the reunion album, Present. By and large, I have not been overly impressed with the new material, but this is classic VDGG, with Hamill, especially, in fine spitting form in a dark commentary on the pitiful state of modern politics.

Next up, one of my favourite instrumentals of all time, Charm by Tony Banks from an album I have a huge soft spot for, Fugitive, in spite of the fact that Banks sings quite a bit on it, and, palpably, cannot sing for toffee. This track, though, showcases what he is best at, namely dexterous fingers with a touch of English whimsy. Just love it.

I don't know what led me after that to put on The Watchmaker, from Steven Wilson's superlative The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories). I am just glad I did. This is such a delicately beautiful piece of music, from an album which made me fall in love again with a talent beyond most of our comprehension. Like most meaningful love affairs, the emotions go up and down, and The Incident was absolutely a down for me. This album, though, is one of the most important, and finest, progressive rock albums ever made. I just love the dark, swirling, Mellotron at the end.

Richard Thompson. Mr Stupid. A great track from the great former Fairport man, this the highlight of the 2007 release, Sweet Release. Bags of fun, with extremely clever lyrics.

From that to...Ozzy Osbourne. Mr Crowley. Don't ask me why. I just did. Actually, I did see that Sabbath are playing Hyde Park (this week?) shortly, so I suppose it was at the back of my mind. Personally, I think this album, his debut solo effort, is his finest work ever. He had to literally drag himself off of the floor after being sacked by Sabbath for being too out of it even for them (a phenomenal achievement, when you think of it), and produced an album that was vibrant, urgent, full of feeling, and featured the debut of the much missed Randy Rhodes, who shines on this track. Forget the dog days of Sabbath, and the solo stuff when rampant commercialism took hold, before something akin to dementia ravaged him, this is a Black Country working class man fighting back, and bloody marvellous it is, too.

King Crimson. Red. The title track from the album many still regard as being the finest heavy rock album of all time. It is most certainly up there. I still think this is the finest of this particular Crimson phase, and I have a great deal of sympathy with John Wetton, who felt particularly aggrieved at Fripp calling it a day, just as the band were on the verge of huge and great things, breaking out of the world of cult status. Oh well, there is always the option of starting a commercial behemoth named after a continent to fall back upon, I suppose.

And, to finish...The Levellers. This Garden. Because I enjoy, and it is a celebration of life and the values that I used to hold so dear before I became a grumpy old git. Note to self......don't be such a grumpy old git!LOL

Once again, my grateful thanks to all of you who read, and contribute to, this chronicle of mine.

Nos da. 22.49. Time for bed, Zebedee. BTW, wife has put news on. Rolf Harris found guilty of child abuse. End of civilisation. Time to go back to being a grumpy old git..Ouch
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 13:38
Well, it has been a long while since the last post. There are a variety of reasons for this, primarily associated with our caring responsibilities at home, and the fact that my mother has been in hospital for nearly three weeks now, this owing to a nasty streptococcal infection. She is being bombarded with antibiotics. Of increasing strength by the sound of it.

In between all of that, my father visited for a long weekend last week, and a wonderful time was had by all. The cat disappeared, only to reappear this evening, all skin and bones, and looking and sounding decidedly sorry for herself.

Also, of course, the World Cup has taken up a bit of my limited free time.

Actually, this evening's blog is concerned with musical matters of last night. Yesterday was a good day. I booked a family holiday, having sorted out respite care for the various infirm, and we are going to Gozo, the island just off Malta, in August. My grandmother was Maltese, and my grandfather's war medals are on display in the island's war museum, so it will be nice for my son to see these. 

So, I returned home after a couple of pints at the local as part of the nightly dog walk, and settled down to an evening's ironing, drinking, and PROG.

Some of the more astute amongst you will be wondering just why I am posting last night's musical activities the following evening. Simples, really. It is owing to the fact that, as my son so grandly put it....."Dad...you were absolutely leathered", this as he woke me from my grand settee sleep at 1.00 this morning!

Anyhow, to matters prog....

I decided to have a DVD night whilst ironing, and the following delights were to be witnessed blasting out of my lovely new sound system:

Mike Oldfield. Elements. I played all from Tubular Bells to Wonderful Land. I find these videos to be an absolute joy to listen to and watch. The quality of the music is astounding, and it really reflected my very upbeat mood last night.

Yes. Tsongas 35th Anniversary. Turn Of The Century, my absolute favourite Yes track of all time, was first on. Then the wonderful acoustic set, with a full blast of the superior Ritual to close. I know there are many who will disagree with me strongly, but I really feel that this should have been the band's swansong, to go out on a musical and group high. Instead, I find myself actually contemplating buying the new album with huge trepidation. Keep an open mind, Mr Laz. An open mind......

Marillion. Brave Live. Utter genius. Quite easily the finest live performance I own.

Roger Waters. From his comeback live tour, which I was lucky enough to see in Wembley, I played the Amused To Death sequence, which is, to me, the highlight of the concert, and finished off with a ridiculously loud and (from me) badly sung Confortably Numb.

Simon & Garfunkel. Live in Central Park. Art Garfunkel is one of the few to have been blessed with a voice that is, in essence, a musical instrument. He never sounded so good as on this, reunited with that creative genius, Paul Simon. I played it all, and enjoyed every single second.

At this stage of proceedings, I was a little conscious of the fact that my in-law's would be getting ready for bed, and would not appreciate my blasting out any more music. So, after a quick trip downstairs to check all was well, I repaired to the sitting room to relax to music on the iPad and a fresh bottle of wine. My lovely wife had, of course, given up on me, and gone to bed. My son woke me up later in a not altogether good state. Anyhow, I was sober enough to make a list of the tracks I played prior to falling asleep, and they were:

Pink Floyd. When the tigers broke free. Great track, first heard in the film of The Wall.

Radiohead. Ideoteque. My favourite track from Kid A, an album which I now regard as being superior even to OK Computer, simply because of its innovation and daring at the time.

Big Big Train. Victorian Brickwork. See my review of The Underfall Yard. It still makes me cry. Simply beautiful.

Big Big Train. Judas Unrepentant. The finest track from the first English Electric album.

Black Sabbath. Snowblind. No, I don't know why this follows on from BBT either. It seemed like a good idea at the time!

Martin Orford. Ray of Hope and Endgame. Incredible. The Old Road is the only album that has been continuously on the iPad since I got it. It was my introduction to the fantastic voice of David Longden. I really wish Martin would record again.

Panic Room. Start The Sound. The standout track from Incarnate.

Anthony Phillips. The Anthem from Tarka. Still my favourite track of his.

ELO. Don't Bring Me Down and Telephone Line. Nostalgia was beginning to take effect after more than a few drinkies. I still love these tracks from a band who we're huge when I were a lad.

Genesis. The Musical Box. The finest track they recorded.

King Crimson. Larks tongues in aspic 2 Live, from Cirkus. A fantastic rendition from the incredible double trio.

Flower Kings. Church of your Heart. A celebration of faith and love of life, which is where I am.

That was it. I fell asleep, and suffered the ignominy of being woken by my son.

Anyhow, the build up to the World Cup final is now getting serious, so time to concentrate on that. 

Nos Da all.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 19:27
Agree wholeheartedly on the Big Big Train comments, Laz. BBT is that rarest of bands that got appreciably better after a decade or two.

Also very much agree with you about Simon & Garfunkel. There was a time when even the hardest rocker also mellowed a bit with S&G, Traffic, The Moody Blues, CSN, ETC. But folks seem more polarized these days. Or perhaps I have become an old fart.

As far as Sabbath goes, Vol. 4 or SBS for me, please.

Will give a listen to Orford as I've never heard him.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 20:12
Glad to hear from you, Master Laz.

Hey. I'd love to hear more about that new sound system of yours?
Whatcha got, my friend? ;)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 15:29
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly on the Big Big Train comments, Laz. BBT is that rarest of bands that got appreciably better after a decade or two.

Also very much agree with you about Simon & Garfunkel. There was a time when even the hardest rocker also mellowed a bit with S&G, Traffic, The Moody Blues, CSN, ETC. But folks seem more polarized these days. Or perhaps I have become an old fart.

As far as Sabbath goes, Vol. 4 or SBS for me, please.

Will give a listen to Orford as I've never heard him.

As far as I am concerned, more power to old farts!

You will love Orford, believe me. The Old Road is a fantastic album.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 15:34

Glad to hear from you, Master Laz.

Hey. I'd love to hear more about that new sound system of yours?
Whatcha got, my friend? ;)

We went to PC World to buy an iron. It is a rare event for my wife to allow me to venture into geeky land of shops, so, as usual, when there, I slobbered over some Mac machines and new PC's, and saw a brand new Samsung soundbar reduced from £500 to £350. As it happened, I had a new cd in my bag, so I asked the sales rep to put it on for me.

We have surround sound connected to our projector in the sitting room, but only the telly and an xbox in the dining room, so I wanted to get a decent system for this room, and sort of make it my music room.

As soon as I heard the soundbar, I wanted it, and bought it. An absolute bargain, it sounds better  than the surround sound system in the sitting room. It absolutely fills the room with sound.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 19:12

You will love Orford, believe me. The Old Road is a fantastic album.

Seconded big time!

I reckon we definitely have to have just a couple of tubes from the album embedded here, so here are the very ones that Laz listened to:

Those two tracks are quite short - for the 'big ones' (oooh, Matron!!) click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWFKEJa_sO8 ('The Old Road') and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OUr7YZtc18 ('Grand Designs') - more tracks from the album will show up in the panel on the right accompanying these videos when you play them on the YouTube site.  Smile

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 09:47
^ thanks DavidSmile

Very quick post today. I have been in Bristol for a case meeting, so I had three hours to kill on the train home.

What better use could such time be put to than to listen to and review prog?

So, I finally got round to posting my Mostly Autumn Dressed In Voices review, which is on the front page as I tap these words. For all of you who share my musical tastes, all I can really say is that you will love this, an utterly brilliant release, which I hope my review does justice to.

Aside from an initial rush when I first joined the site (when most tend to review old classics or favourites), I have been fairly sparing in my five star reviews, and rightly, as well. Such gems are rarities. I have to say, though, that I have now done two this year, and we are only in July. IQ and MA will be right up there in my 2014 album of the year choices, and we haven't even had Pendragon's latest, yet. I am slobbering with excitement already!LOL

To close my train journey, I put on Nick Magnus's new opus, the excellent N'Monix, and, with Mr Hackett firmly ensconced in my mind, I put on his superb last genuine solo LP,  Beyond The Shrouded Horizon, which I think is quite excellent.

Not a bad playlist, really.Big smile

Edited by lazland - July 15 2014 at 09:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>