Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Krautrock Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 64>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 12:36
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Just hiding in the archives......no reviews.....great mini-moog

What a find! Sounds great. Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 03:41
Back to Duul for now : I listened to Yeti last night.....
Well, I bought my UA copy, with textured gatefold sleeve, around 1990, a beautiful example, for a measly 8 Aussie dollars. Anyway, their improvs on record 2 are outstanding. I mean, every member just telepathically locked in with one another, a total excercise in listening to each other, knowing what's going to happen next and anticipating who will do what. Probably all on acid, all on the same wavelength, producing nothing less than a true MASTERPIECE.
I simply worship Yeti.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 08:51
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Well, I bought my UA copy, with textured gatefold sleeve, around 1990, a beautiful example, for a measly 8 Aussie dollars. Anyway, their improvs on record 2 are outstanding. I mean, every member just telepathically locked in with one another, a total excercise in listening to each other, knowing what's going to happen next and anticipating who will do what. Probably all on acid, all on the same wavelength, producing nothing less than a true MASTERPIECE.
I simply worship Yeti.

Yeti is my favorite album by them.....I also have Phallus Dei and several of the later ones also but not Tanz Der Lemmings. Is Tanz as good as Yeti overall?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 09:04
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I simply worship Yeti.

Yeti is my favorite album by them.....I also have Phallus Dei and several of the later ones also but not Tanz Der Lemmings. Is Tanz as good as Yeti overall?
Tanz was my favorite for many years, but lately Yeti has taken over.  Yeti is much more aggressive, and maybe better for it.  Tanz is an effort to piece together elaborate suites from a variety of musical themes, and though that helps it scream "prog!", the years of listening to it have revealed the seams and flaws.  But it's still a very close second to Yeti for me.  I'd classify it as a more introverted counterpart to the more overt physicality of Yeti.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 12:30
Well said, HolyMoly. Tough pick between the two.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 12:57
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I simply worship Yeti.

a wise and humble reviewer once it best

Tanz is like walking through a haunted house; Yeti is like being chased through one LOLClap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 13:22
^ Aw yeah.  Spot on.  That's good. Clap
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 14:05
I can never decide which one I love the most. Yeti? Tanz? or Wolf City? Every time I finish either of these I proclaim it to be my favourite Amon Düül ll record.........up until I listen to the next that is.
I feel the same about Can's Tago Mago and Future Days.
Or Franco Battiato's Pollution and Sulle Corde di Aries.
Klaus Schulze - Blackdance or Picture Music?
Magma - Kobaïa, Köhntarkösh or Ëmëhntëtt-Ré?
You get the picture.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 14:25
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I can never decide which one I love the most. Yeti? Tanz? or Wolf City? Every time I finish either of these I proclaim it to be my favourite Amon Düül ll record.........up until I listen to the next that is.
You get the picture.

loud and clear! Clap Picking favorite bands/artists is easy, it is the body of work, but picking individual favorite albums is obviously far more difficult.. and fun?

hmmm..   maybe next year a PA's battle of the albums? Judge not the group, the name ON the album. Judge the album simply on its merits. Not everyone can I suppose, but perhaps enough could to have an interesting 'contest'
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 14:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

You get the picture.

loud and clear! Clap Picking favorite bands/artists is easy, it is the body of work, but picking individual favorite albums is obviously far more difficult.. and fun?

hmmm..   maybe next year a PA's battle of the albums? Judge not the group, the name ON the album. Judge the album simply on its merits. Not everyone can I suppose, but perhaps enough could to have an interesting 'contest'
We should totally have a battle of the albums next year. That would be a real big hoot! Thumbs Up
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 14:40
yes it would Tongue  Definitely on  the schedule for next year!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 15:10
Big fan of this one. Very Velvet, I must say. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbIw2HZRnF4&list=PL8a8cutYP7fpSCPWSAbSdw478yBtxGstk

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 22:37
^ Not classic, but oh, so close. Mozambique is as great as anything they've done......
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 02:48
Just moved on from Duul to Kraftwerk. As I've revealed many moons ago, Hutter & Schneider's concoctions were already fully realised on their PHENOMENAL debut album. Nothing they did afterwards comes close, well, maybe Ralf & Florian (the 3rd album) almost touches it.
Kraftwerk's debut out-Krauts most Kraut......

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 05 2014 at 02:49
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 05:52
I just reviewed that `Vortex' album from 1981, and I can safely say that's it's probably one of their most consistent albums after `Vive le Trance'. It's still quite song based, but each of the 8 pieces have nice moments of the old Duul magic. Renate sounds terrific on it, far stronger a vocalist that she's probably given credit for.

Tom, do you have this one on LP? If not, have you ever come across it? `Vortex' is definitely some of the best 2 dollars I've ever spent!

Dave, what do you think of this piece from it:

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 06:47
Yes, I have it as LP. It is good for sure, as you say, the tracks have a hint of old to them. I won mine for around 20 bucks several years ago. Nice to hear 80's Duul. Probably the 'anthemic 'Wings Of The Wind' was the weaker track ??
It's certainly as good as Pyragony X, if not better.
I do enjoy Made In Germany, I have the single LP version of it, with the smoking girl on the cover. I think it may trim the bulk of the 'fat' that's on the original 2 album version ??? Still, no ADII album has ever made me cringe....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 12:29
Can we call this Krautrock ? The duck love it Heart 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-z3Gofrdc

Farfisa for Tom. Wink

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 13:14
^ Fleissbandbaby !! Good, fun album, lots of organ.
My fave of what I have is Profitgeier. I'd love to get my hands on their later LP's.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 14:57
Yes. I have this other album too. Don't know the rest of their discography. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 16:04
Can't understand what the guys are waffling on about, but they're passionate about it. Decent musicians, esp. Markus Schmidt.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 64>