Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [46.55%]
31 [53.45%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 02:24
^ although Lee Jackson managed to achieve a fuller and punchier tone with his bass than Lake did when he was in The Nice. 
That said the complexity of some of Lake's playing is very impressive. His background as everyone knows was playing lead guitar not bass so that dictated his style to some extent. Lee is a great player and I would take him just over Lake although I take Chris Squire and Klaus Peter-Matziol (Eloy) over both of them.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 03:50
Geddy Lee is a monster on the bass - BUT, Greg Lake is a MEGA monster.  Both great bassists, but Lake inches out over Lee for me...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 07:01
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I didn't think Rush centered around any of the three.  They always brought something to the table in equal measure in my mind.

I don't think I made my point clear enough Pat.  A problem I often have haha.

I'm not talking creatively, I'm talking about the 'sound' of the group. Yes Peart was probably the creative center of that group but to most, including myself, Rush's sound centered around what Geddy's bass.

Geddy's bass was VERY prominent in Rush's music,  and what their sound revolved around. Peart is a great drummer no doubt. Rush's sound did not revolve around him, no more than other groups revolved around similarly great drummers.  There is only one group that has ever revolved around their drummer. It took a singularly unique talent to do that. One often (attempted) to duplicate but never done.  One reason he is by any objective analysis the greatest rock drummer ever. 

Look at ELP for the clearest example of the difference between being the focus of a groups sound and the creative center.  Obviously ELP's sound revolved around Emerson, but Lake was clearly the creative center of that group as was for the vast majority of their output.  BSS was the major exception which they collaborated creativity.

My original point being.  I've seen this across bass and instrumental forums for many years were well-meaning people mistake ability and skill for a musicians prominence in a groups sound. Geddy is a great bassist, in a genre filled with them.  Lake's bass work is not a prominent, it didn't have to be, and likely wouldn't have worked in ELP's overall sound. However to mistake, and many many have, that being the source of a groups sound makes them 'Better' instrumentalist, or more to the point, not being makes them worse is preposterous. 

Quite simply if Lake's playing ability was not up to the level set, and you better believe DEMANDED, by working with one of the handful of best drummers around and the keyboardist most consider the most talented ever, then he wouldn't have lasted in that group.  Lake's playing is not the focus, thus an easy target by the ELP haters who think Lake was not a good bassist.  A very very underrated bassist. Squire considered him a friend and rival and they did live together and work out many bass techniques and theories on how to move forward bass playing.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456