FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSummer Madness: PA's Battle of the Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 21>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 13:52
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

and here we go...  starting the modern contest... same rules as the just completed first round of the first half of the classics.  4 enter.. 2 exit... tiebreaks the same...  2nd round matchups determined as the classic polls were.

Well.. If the first four groups are any indication, I don't think I'll be voting much this turn. LOL

Edited by Kotro - June 20 2015 at 13:52
Bigger on the inside.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 13:57
LOL yeah.. a fear we all had.  No one really thinks it will have the same level as participation as the classics... I'll just be happy if a few take advantage of the opportunity to check out and perhaps discover some great modern stuff.

Do that and the time invested in this will be worth it in my eyes.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 14:30
Just showed my braver side and listen to the first 8 tracks of the modern poll.
Um... there's life there, but not as I know it.
But... I already made two great discoveries: Haken and DFA.
I just entered the 21st century, so it seems LOL

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 14:39
It would be nice if some of you who are still on Facebook (Ian and HT, I am looking at youWink) could spread the word about this poll. I am sure that Leonardo of Moonjune and Marcello of AltrOck (to mention but two people) would be happy of the publicity.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 15:32
Will do I'll start posting in my groups
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 15:34
Smile
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 15:42
I only know 10 albums from the modern polls Ouch That's a lot of albums to listen in one week LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 16:32
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I only know 10 albums from the modern polls Ouch That's a lot of albums to listen in one week LOL

just have fun with it!!  I'm basing further listens on the samples that grab me. The one North Sea Orchestra bit so hard I had to immediately order the album.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 17:06

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

just have fun with it!!  I'm basing further listens on the samples that grab me. The one North Sea Orchestra bit so hard I had to immediately order the album.

good man, great album
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 17:29
Thumbs Up
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 19:17
and here is the updated bracket for the classic albums showing 2nd round matchups in the top half of the bracket...

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=459336
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 20:29
I think I may have 2/3 of the albums in the modern poll, it's making for some really tough choices for me.
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 20:40
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I think I may have 2/3 of the albums in the modern poll, it's making for some really tough choices for me.

yeah.. you got that right.  I think between Raff and I (our marriage merged two large, and dissimilar in taste collections) we have upwards of 90%.  A LOT of tough choices.. both in personal choices.. and in keeping domesic bliss. In that I think Raff is more faithful to me than I am to her.  She votes for me, but some of her favs I really don't care for.. LOL. Though in all honesty..  I have picked up a lot from her.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 21:48
a few general thoughts on the classic polls..

I think we made the right decision to 'level' the playing field by eliminating the best from the best.. perhaps fanboys wanted them... the rest of us wanted to see interesting albums get some love and exposure and stick around long enough to see them get it rather than get ground under the wheels to meeting in the last rounds where we would simply have the 1000th PA's installment of CTTE v. SEbtP v. a Floyd album v. a mediocre and completely overrated attempt by Dull to be arty and thought provoking...

another point.. the draw was completely random.. the original list of 128 was bracketized by a random number generator with no 'do overs'  and it is really interesting how it really broke down a predominently English top.. and 'foreign' bottom half. That said.. it look to be a good showing for the Italians.. all but one album advanced in the top half and most of theirs are in the bottom half including albums by 4 of of the big 6 of Italian prog.  Throw in that most of the true German classics are in the bottom along with the French..as well as the VERY underrated late 70's Spanish albums and you have a really nice dicotomy in brackets. Only one really important heavy weight English group/album is in the bottom .. that would be G.G/Octopus and is still  likely the one to finally emerge from the bottom. but still.. a lot of great albums down in the bottom section for it to go through.

I like how the tiebreakers worked...  completely surprised me on the first tiebreaker.. I guessed wrong on both. Figured Eros would have had the higher percentage of 4 and 5 star reviews and even more surprised that Triumvirat did over Area.   I do think the quick draw 10 vote 2nd place tiebreaker worked well.  With all the polls we are doing..  we didn't need to draw it out that much longer. I thought my original idea of 5 was too quick... to 10 seemed to work well.. quick but not too quick to let people not immeidately on line at the time have a chance to vote.

One last thought.. going to the modern section. VERY pleased at the forum for engaging the modern polls as they have.  We didn't expect they would have anywhere near the same level of interest.. or especially import as natural the classic album polls might have but still really happy to see people getting into it.. and especially taking to heart the iimplied notion of it.  No one knows all the albums.. few know most.   vote as you wish.. but take the opportunity to perhaps check out some albums you might not know or have explored.. or even heard of.

Edited by micky - June 20 2015 at 21:51
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 21:51
It's going very well so far, I'm having a lot of fun and discovering some new stuff, but my, if I never hear Tim Buckley again it will be a day too soon.
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 21:53
LOL  he was my discovery of the classics.. one of the very few I don't have.. and even fewer that I hadn't really heard.  I did quite enjoy the album.  Oh well.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 04:59

Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

and here we go...  starting the modern contest... same rules as the just completed first round of the first half of the classics.  4 enter.. 2 exit... tiebreaks the same...  2nd round matchups determined as the classic polls were.

Well.. If the first four groups are any indication, I don't think I'll be voting much this turn. LOL

LOL yeah.. a fear we all had.  No one really thinks it will have the same level as participation as the classics... I'll just be happy if a few take advantage of the opportunity to check out and perhaps discover some great modern stuff.

Do that and the time invested in this will be worth it in my eyes.

The thing is, I'm not exactly a curmudgeon stuck in the 70's, I really enjoy modern prog and some of my all-time favourite prog albums are post-1985! It's just that looking at the entire 128(?) modern selection, they simply aren't there! They're either albums by artists present in the Battle from which there are other albums I prefer to the ones selected (such as PT, Wilson, Discipline, Phideaux, Iron Maiden, Anathema, Anekdoten or Aranis), or by artists not even present at all (longer list, but I especially feel the absence of The Gathering, Lazuli, Mostly Autumn, Blood Ceremony, White Willow, No-Man, Fates Warning, Threshold, Mansun, OSI, Nemo, Amplifier, Rose Kemp, Susanne Sundfor, Rhys Marsh, Therion, Saturnia, Bigelf, Matthew Parmenter, and oh god I better stop). 
This is not a rant, just stating a fact and sharing an opinion. I guess this just goes to show that modern prog is so diverse and good that there is always something for every person, and always something new to discover, and you just can't please everyone when coming up with competitions like this. LOL

Edited by Kotro - June 22 2015 at 05:01
Bigger on the inside.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 05:44
The thing is, both lists were submitted to the collabs' attention, but very few people spoke up and recommended albums. In fact, I agree that there are some glaring omissions, and a few albums whose inclusion is rather perplexing (at least IMHO). However, nothing will stop us from doing this once again in the future with other albums.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 12:24
I'd agree with my better half to a certain extent... though I'll have to ask her which are the perplexing ones LOL

unless she means the neo albums LOLLOLLOL There were obviously some that didn't connect personally.. but none that seemed unworthy...

anyhow.. yeah... the thread was there for 6 months. Not always active which is my fault but these last few months had left me little time to keep working on it.  As it was We did get a lot of good suggestions from a lot of the various members of genre teams,  and I tried to get everyone's suggestions included.  More so than the classics, which often boils down to 'who do we have to leave out' ... the question with this one is 'who do we have to include'.  With that kind of list.. there will always be omissions.. sometimes even glaring ones. Raff was looking through our albums yestrday and noticed we whiffed .. completely.. on Devin Townsend. I'm sure if we look hard enough.. close enough.. we all could find glaring omissions.  The nature of the beast man... 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 18:39
Progspin - Prog News without taste, flavor, access, knowledge or any semblance of discretion.

BREAKING NEWS!! - We are breaking into our regularly scheduled programing, How to butcher literary classics.. The Prog Rock Edition, to bring you a special announcement from the commissioner of PIFA. Micky Gotohell. We go to our Proggy Award winning correpondant, Stu Nahan who is at PIFA headquarters. Stu..Stu.. are you there?

Stu: yes Mort I am here.

PS: So what is going on?

Stu:  Mort, I received a call about 10 minutes ago from PIFA general secretary Raff the Body who offered PS an exclusive on a rapidly breaking story.  I was told to meet Commisionear Gotohell here at 7:45 and he would give us an exclusive on a ... and I quote.. an unprecented story of greed, sex, chicanery, and executive kick-assery. What all that means?

I haven't got a f**king clue

PS: I see. So I guess we are going to go to commerical.. until Commisioner Gotohell arrives.

Edited by micky - June 22 2015 at 18:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 21>