Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid the Beatles really Invent Prog? Or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 06:32
Can ANYBODY tell me what's Prog about I Wanna Hold Your Hand or Can't Buy Me Love ?? I pains me to find any complexity or barrier-breaking ideas in these songs (amongst the bulk of their catalogue).
And, in all respect, damned those Stones that Roll - Satanic Majesties 'out-Progs' anything the Drab Four acheived.
Don't roll me through the quagmire, I do adore Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's and Magical Mystery Tour (couldn't imagine my life without them) but...........
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 06:49
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I have a Mothers bootleg from '67 Stockholm ('Tis the Season to be Jelly) and some of the material is very, very close to progressive rock, in fact it's about as prog as ItCotCK

Sounds more like psych jazz-rock.
Gentle Yes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 09:47
Yeap.. Gentle Giant are extremely under-appreciated , especially by today's audience.. I mean how is it possible that Rush fill-up entire stadiums and GG have disappeared? Of course I love Rush (especially the early stuff) but i'd say that it's their ''mainstream'' approach to prog that still keeps them alive... On the other hand GG were too unique to survive... But the weird thing is that artists like Gong still exist.. i mean they didnt conform at all and their music was as original as GG's and are still going on.. What happened to Gentle Giant? I think that they had much more to give to the world of prog (yes, i believe that 10 albums were not enough :P) And the thing is that they have completely dissapeared individually as artists.. too bad. :(
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 09:56
Originally posted by Gentle Yes Gentle Yes wrote:

Yeap.. Gentle Giant are extremely under-appreciated , especially by today's audience.. I mean how is it possible that Rush fill-up entire stadiums and GG have disappeared? Of course I love Rush (especially the early stuff) but i'd say that it's their ''mainstream'' approach to prog that still keeps them alive... On the other hand GG were too unique to survive... But the weird thing is that artists like Gong still exist.. i mean they didnt conform at all and their music was as original as GG's and are still going on.. What happened to Gentle Giant? I think that they had much more to give to the world of prog (yes, i believe that 10 albums were not enough :P) And the thing is that they have completely dissapeared individually as artists.. too bad. :(
What happened to Gentle Giant is no great mystery as any fan of theirs is all too well aware. 

Whether Gong still exists now that Daevid Allen has passed away remains to be seen.
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 10:21
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Can ANYBODY tell me what's Prog about I Wanna Hold Your Hand or Can't Buy Me Love ??
As opposed to what Robert Fripp was playing in 1963? Oh, that's right, he hadn't formed a band yet, he was still listening to The Beatles in his mum's parlor. LOL And he was listening to The Beatles back then.

Sometimes I have to laugh at how blithely benighted comments can be. Seriously, have you even listened to what rock music was like in 1963-64? There was no prog, or psych for that matter - hell, Bob Dylan wouldn't even strap on an electric guitar for a couple of years. But the importance of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Can't Buy Me Love" is not their progginess (which is silly to even state), it is that the Beatles had started to write their own songs and not play covers (the same route The Stones took starting off). This was to bear fruit as the band matured.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 10:27
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Squabbling over who was the first will never yield an answer because there wasn’t one single identifiable first. All we can say with any certainty is that it was first identified as being a distinct category of Rock music in The Great Island being performed by Artistes from The Great Island, that we later recognised likeminded Artistes performing likeminded Rock music in The New World and on The Mainland of The Old World and categorised them into the same canon merely indicates that the genre is considerably broader than first imagined and that tangential and parallel developments yield similar results.
You're correct old boy. We never will find a single solitary cause for the development of progressive rock, only its effect.

However, I feel this this type of discussion is necessary at times to help remind members with knee jerk opinions such 'What did the Beatles have to do with Prog?' or 'ITCotCK was the first Prog song or album', etc, that there was not a single identifiable cause, and many artists, that members don't care for on a personal level, were important to the development of the musical art form that they treasure so dearly. 

And, I hope you were able to get all of your thoughts out of your system with your post.

Edited by SteveG - July 08 2015 at 16:20
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 10:30

Can ANYBODY tell me what's Prog about I Wanna Hold Your Hand or Can't Buy Me Love ?? I pains me to find any complexity or barrier-breaking ideas in these songs (amongst the bulk of their catalogue).
And, in all respect, damned those Stones that Roll - Satanic Majesties 'out-Progs' anything the Drab Four acheived.
Don't roll me through the quagmire, I do adore Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's and Magical Mystery Tour (couldn't imagine my life without them) but...........
Don't mean to gang up on you Tom, but the transformation of the Beatles musically from 1962 through to 1969 is part of their greatness. As they changed, they also changed the face of rock music in their era.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 10:36
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Any revisionists have already pledged their allegiance to the fab four Wink
I was born in 1951, so that makes me an originalist on the subject. Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 10:43
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Can ANYBODY tell me what's Prog about I Wanna Hold Your Hand or Can't Buy Me Love ??
As opposed to what Robert Fripp was playing in 1963? Oh, that's right, he hadn't formed a band yet, he was still listening to The Beatles in his mum's parlor. LOL And he was listening to The Beatles back then.

Sometimes I have to laugh at how blithely benighted comments can be. Seriously, have you even listened to what rock music was like in 1963-64? There was no prog, or psych for that matter - hell, Bob Dylan wouldn't even strap on an electric guitar for a couple of years. But the importance of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Can't Buy Me Love" is not their progginess (which is silly to even state), it is that the Beatles had started to write their own songs and not play covers (the same route The Stones took starting off). This was to bear fruit as the band matured.
Aye, the Beatles were recording their sixth self-penned album by the time the Strolling Bones had managed to cobble together enough Glimmer Twins written ditties to fill a single album.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 10:45
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

And, I hope you were able to get all of your thoughts out of your system with your post.
Who could possibly tell?
What?
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 10:47
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Originally posted by Gentle Yes Gentle Yes wrote:

I think there is no doubt that psychedelic rock was the predecessor of progressive rock, i mean you can clearly hear some progressive elements in mid 60's bands... Now I think that saying that SFF was the first prog song (or album) is farfetched. The Beatles were a classic psychedelic-pop band, maybe too classic.. don't get me wrong, i like the Beatles, who doesn't? but i couldn't say that they have anything to do with prog.. SFF is maybe a little bit different from ohter Beatles songs as they wrote it in the psychedelic-colours-drugs etcetera era. Nevertheless it's just another Beatles song.
   It's too difficult to say with precision who wrote the first prog song or album.. most say it was Zappas Freak out! but Strawberry Alarm Clock who formed in 1966 (same year as Freak out!) have a lot more prog elements (for me). The same goes for The 13th floor elevators who existed before Freak Out!
  Anyway.. i think most of you would agree that finding the actual prog birth is almost impossible... The only thing i can say for sure is GENTLE GIANT RULE. LOL

Completely agree Clap

And yes, Gentle Giant does rule, they deserve more appreciation. Thumbs Up 

This! Tongue

Also, your avatar is awesome, Pastmaster!

Thanks, always loved Drama and it's album cover.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 11:04
Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I have a Mothers bootleg from '67 Stockholm ('Tis the Season to be Jelly) and some of the material is very, very close to progressive rock, in fact it's about as prog as ItCotCK

Sounds more like psych jazz-rock.
Canterbury Scene could be also called psych jazz rock, with exception of few acts, e.g. Camel.
And that mix was / is prog nothing less than mix of pop-rock and the classical music, adored with a 'tron which underlined that dreamy, haunting and pastoral atmosphere.

Edited by Svetonio - July 08 2015 at 13:49
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 11:12
So, there you have it, the Mothers are part of the Canterbury Scene.
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 11:29
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Confused Paul Butterfield. King of Prog! LOL
Probably you do prefer that longer studio version. Very progressive instrumental epic track from 1966. Oh sorry, in a moment I forgot that real possibility that you never heard this track LOL

I'm just kidding, of course. You know, there are people who are talking about something that has never heard... By the way, I hope you'll agree that when Mike Bloomfield passes to Indian tones at 5:00, that's very progressive for 1966.

Edited by Svetonio - July 08 2015 at 11:54
Big Kid Josie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 11:47
If I can chip in my 2 cents...I think the Beatles are proto-prog, but, due to their massive influence, inspired a lot of the bands that would go on to do full-blown prog.  There would be no ITCOTCK without Sgt Pepper's, for instance.  I think all these bands---Zappa, Love, early free-form Dead, The Nice, The Moodies, Procol Harem, Pink Floyd, early Deep Purple, King Crimson, etc. were responding to the zeitgeist of the times (that 60's revolutionary "we're gonna change the world and music too!  There are no boundaries!" spirit) and some caught the "prog bug" at around the same time...

Somebody made a convincing argument about Strawberry Fields Forever being the first English symphonic rock song, but to my mind, the Beatles are mainly the most influential/most popular precursors to prog...

For a boy band, they've done almost as well as One Republic! LOL   
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 12:30
The Beatles aren't prog, they just influenced (along with the Yardbirds and whoever else) the musicians and bands who were/are prog.

In turn, I think the Beatles' sound circa the late '60s was influenced by the changing rock landscape itself.
Originally posted by Big Kid Josie Big Kid Josie wrote:

Somebody made a convincing argument about Strawberry Fields Forever being the first English symphonic rock song, but to my mind, the Beatles are mainly the most influential/most popular precursors to prog...

The Bee Gees and the Osmonds aren't far behind, I reckon. LOL
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 13:34
No.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 15:39
Originally posted by Big Kid Josie Big Kid Josie wrote:

(...)

(...)

In favour of that that Strawberry Fields Forever was the first song of English Symphonic rock, there is one "detail" more: 

Quote The combination (Strawberry Fields & Penny Lane) reached number two in Britain, breaking the band's four-year run of chart-topping singles there, while "Strawberry Fields Forever" peaked at number eight on the Billboard Hot 100 in America.
Wiki

The song was obviously "strange" for everybody's ears; it was not (only) pop, psych or a riff based song. It was a new genre that will be called Symphonic rock some years later.

Edited by Svetonio - July 08 2015 at 15:46
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 15:53
Now, Svetonio, I'm intrigued by your characterisation of "Strawberry Fields" as the first symph track. Certainly there's a pastoral sound to it that points the way towards much British symph, but everything else about it just points towards it being a unique and experimental piece of British psych, including the track's use of 'tron. You'll have to explain further.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 16:16
^I know there's a school of thought that SFF touched off symph prog by introducing the idea that an artist could possibly reproduce an orchestra into pop with the use of the 'tron. Perhaps that's what Sventonio was referring to. But then again...who knows.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>