Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas prog lost its way?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 00:04
Originally posted by Wicket Wicket wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Has it ever occurred to some members that anything new and exciting in prog that could be done has, in factalready been done and this is why new prog sounds so recycled?

You can only invent the wheel once. Everything else after that is merely a copy.

Jezz, get over it already.

This is true for the most part. Granted, there are exceptions out there, still creating new ways of expression and evolution to prog, but to play devil's advocate, they are exceptions to the rule, which is a genre being diluted by a bunch of new bands trying to "fit in", essentially. (...)

It actually seems to be following the path of EDM. Electronic music was always the home for the underground musician, the guy or gal who wanted a unique outlet of making music and expressing themselves, not caring about fame or light or money or anything. But once songs like "Animals" and "Turn Down For What" starting hitting the mainstream, the genre got flooded by shmucks who though they could make the next big rave track. The result? Crap, lots and lots of crap (which is why I don't listen to as much new electronic music anymore).

(...)

Prog is eventually going to have to adopt the same strategy contemporary classical music is taking. (...)

Quantity produces quality, i.e. more new prog bands around the globe means more good, great and awesome new prog albums released. It means poor albums too, of course, but that global prog audience via Internet, fans' blogs, reviews, discussions at prog forums, prog awards etc is gonna to filtered that. So, a bunch of new bands is always welcome; it couldn't "dilute" (lol) our beloved genre, on contrary - it makes prog bigger, stronger and, consenquently, a better genre.

Electronic music was hitting the mainstream way before the tracks you mentioned ( Animals, Turn Down For What). It was happen a long time ago with Jarre (e.g. Jarre's best effort imo, Oxygene, was a radio friendly stuff back in the the day) and with the great Vangelis' albums and, especially, his soundtracks.

A "strategy" (whatever it means), if there could be any of already being seen "strategies" that could be suitable to be implemented to contemporary prog due to fact that contemporary, mostly self-released prog is a new story at all, it could be only a "strategy" of World Music, because both World Music and contemporary Prog share that global "spirit", both of two genres produces these cocktails of styles as a tradition is mixed with a new stuff and so on. Contemporary classical music and minimalism what you mentioned, the artists like Steve Reich and Arvo Part, actually meet the wider audience, proggers included, when some of their masterpieces (e.g. Music For 18 Musicians, Tehillim, Tabula Rasa) was produced by Manfred Eicher and released on ECM in late 70s and early 80s; I doubt that the same "strategy" could be suitable today for contemporary Prog music.

(...) Quantity DOESN'T equal quality. Having 5 chefs working at a restaurant is great, but it doesn't mean they'll add up to cook food like Bobby Flay or Geoffrey Zakarian. Having more of something doesn't necessarily make it better. Sure, you can eat way more chocolate than your parents tell you to, but (...)

I hope I'm actually making sense and not just rambling, (...)

Do not get your hopes up crazy LOL
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 00:30

Quantity produces quality, i.e. more new prog bands around the globe means more good, great and awesome new prog albums released. It means poor albums too, of course, but that global prog audience via Internet, fans' blogs, reviews, discussions at prog forums, prog awards etc is gonna to filtered that. So, a bunch of new bands is always welcome; it couldn't "dilute" (lol) our beloved genre, on contrary - it makes prog bigger, stronger and, consenquently, a better genre.

Not a chance.

Quantity only lowers the standards, the good artists will release good albums anyway, because they love music and have the skills to make it.

Quantity only makes more mediocre bands appear and people tend to accept anything.

In the old days, only really good prog bands had a contract, today anybody with a computer releases an album in a website and calls it Prog

A good example is Rick Wakeman, when he recorded an album per year, he gave us true masterpieces, but when he started to release 4 or even 8 albums each year, all were terrible, bad or mediocre at the best.

(...) Quantity DOESN'T equal quality. Having 5 chefs working at a restaurant is great, but it doesn't mean they'll add up to cook food like Bobby Flay or Geoffrey Zakarian. Having more of something doesn't necessarily make it better. Sure, you can eat way more chocolate than your parents tell you to, but (...)
I hope I'm actually making sense and not just rambling, (...)

Of course you make sense.

In Perú we have a food boom, everybody wants to be a chef, the problem is that our food was great ten yeas ago with lets say 50 good restaurants in the country, I knew that I would go to Chiclayo and eat in "Fiesta" or Arequipa and eat in "Tradiciones" and ate excellent food 100% typical of those regions 

Today all this kids are ruining it with mediocre dishes that they create and call it "Fusion" (They mix Peruvian, Japanese Thai and Mexican food in one dish), the only thing they achieved is that we have 20,000 thousand  restaurants, but the good ones are more or less  50 like a decade ago (most are the same ones), the other 19,950 are mediocre at the best...But we lost identity, you don't know if you are eating a dish from Lima, Arequipa or Chiclayo because it's a mixture that ruins our tradition....And the worst thing is that people is getting use to that crap.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 15 2015 at 00:37

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 00:43

(...) I don't doubt Jarre was mainstream, especially in Europe, but here in the states, not even Darude's Sandstorm (which has now become a cult internet meme, basically) can boast to be more overplayed than "Animals" or "Turn Down For What". I haven't heard Jarre's music being played during a commercial break at a basketball game, or on a commercial for Pepsi, or to accompany the Fast and Furious trailer.

THAT"S the mainstream I'm talking about, infiltrating homes of people who DON'T listen to it for entertainment, but know about the song because it has essentially been piped into their homes just from watching tv. And because of that, big room house ("Animals") and trap ("Turn Down For What") have been flooded with copycats all trying to make the next best thing. Certain genres like drum n' bass, however, haven't spawned a "hit mainstream single" yet, and as a result, most of the best tracks are made by regulars, DJ's who have, and still specialize, in DNB. It hasn't seen a huge influx of DJ's within a short period of time trying to mimick a certain song or style (even though there a lot of songs that sound the same, but you can make that arguement with any genre of music). (...)

Of course that the mainstream is changed as whole world is changed through decades, but as I said, Electronic music meet the mainstream long before the tracks you mentioned above. If you're not satisfied with Jarre's and / or Vangelis' albums and soundtracks as valid arguments for that, get this:

Quote In 1972, Hot Butter's rerecording was a huge hit in many countries. "Popcorn" has since been covered by a great number of artists.

Quote The track became an international hit selling a million copies in France, 250,000 in the United Kingdom, and over two million globally.

Edited by Svetonio - July 15 2015 at 02:35
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 00:50
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Not a chance. (...)

In the old days, only really good prog bands had a contract, today anybody with a computer (....)

If that's true, then only 10-15 really good prog bands were existing in e.g. 70s England LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 00:58

If that's true, then only 10-15 really good prog bands were existing in e.g. 70s England LOL

The 70's were another time and another reality:

1.- Real artists
2.- Real bands
3.- Real labels 

But most of all a fresh new genre that had a lot to explore.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 01:06

The 70's were another time and another reality (...)
Exactly, and as since 70s everything is changed as well, the young bands don't need to wait too long that some record company release their album anymore; they can do it by themselfs and to put album at Bandcamp. And to play festivals and to be Prog, & to sound very fresh, original and exciting.

Edited by Svetonio - July 15 2015 at 01:08
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 01:35
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Having lived through the entire 70s prog era, I'd like to point out how competitive all of the bands and musicians were with each other!  

Bands like ELP, Yes, etc. strove to play faster, longer, to larger crowds and venues.  Part of this drive towards excess led to the famous criticisms of prog as "dinosaur music," exemplified by the TFTO tour.   The spectacle of Keith Emerson wrestling with his onstage organ, dagger in hand, was worth the price of admission!  

These days, prog acts are smaller, more regional, and struggling to find a musical path.  I think fusion is doing all right, but symphonic seems lost.  Glass Hammer do some excellent work, I don't find them to be a Yes clone.  

Modern prog does not seem to have a fraction of the following that the 70s acts had, those concerts (CTTE, Relayer, BSS, TAAB etc.) were pretty amazing events!  The best modern equivalent seems to be the techno-jam events that are held.  If some blazing musicians were to join forces with the DJ's art, we might see some new interest.  

You may not like this, but it certainly has power!  Prog must change and adapt. 

I agree and I also lived through that era - I was also lucky to have lived in San Francisco & San Jose during the 70's which were main stops for all these bands that were more than just concerts, but became "amazing events." I don't think they could be replicated today. Even all the tribute bands don't come close.

At best I am happy to hear prog ( or prog iinfluences) in lots of modern music. Especially in the electronic-techno world (as cStack pointed out)- I think of bands like 808 State, The Lumerians, or even Single Gun Theory-

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 02:05
Sorry all, but I think everyone is talking past each other on so many levels it's making my head spin. The premise is that Prog has lost its way, but no one agrees and is even noticing that they don't agree on any metric for losing its way. If has already been done, someone names three or so genuinely innovative bands, is that enough to discount the premise? Maybe it only takes one band to discount it, fine but to me we seem to be dancing around the issue by disregarding the trend. I notice, BTW, that those scrambling to defend the current crop of artists have left the 80s artists out to dry. Oh well, but as sympathetic as I am with deploring the 80s, there were genuine innovators then too. They were the outliers, but outliers don't define a general trend. I could be wrong, but I think this thread is focusing on a trend, or a perceived one at least. Dispute it if you like, but explain why you feel that your list is more representative. I agree with Svetonio; quantity likely does produce quality, but is it producing quality/ingenuity as a significant trend now, or have they remained as outliers who are just as hard to spot as they were in the 80s? Then there's what counts as (good) Prog and what counts as innovation and we're really talking past each other...good night folks. I'm up too late.

Edited by HackettFan - July 15 2015 at 02:14
Disparate Times View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 07:01
Up=down, right=left, day=night, black=white, quantity=quality?Confused
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 07:53
quantity = relativety :D
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 08:31

1.- Real artists
2.- Real bands
3.- Real labels 

Because there are no real artists, bands, or labels now. Tell that to Ipecac, The Flesner, blood music, apathia records, and the endless new bands that I find almost every single day. Sure, those labels don't make anyone rich but to me that makes them more real than anything.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 08:47
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ As established in the 'Conditions of Progress' thread, rock itself was still quite young when prog occurred and that allowed huge growth at a good time for it.   Any new revolutionary music would likely have to emerge from an almost as new form that has not yet been exhausted; like rock in the mid-60s.   The last major musical innovation was probably the minimalism of Reich, Glass, et al., which now ironically echoes through much modern film and commercial music.

You're absolutely correct David, but the onslaught of hard rock in the sixties and early seventies, of which I was, and still am, a big fan, personally didn't blow my mind as it seemed like a natural extension of rock at the time. Prog, to me, was a different story. What did blow my mind was the ability of hard rock artists in the eighties to improve in popularity, to use someone like Ozzy as an example (not one of my personal favorites) and the establishment of newer hard rock groups that took the genre to another level, like Van Halen for example (who were one of my favorites).
For manifold reasons, this is something that prog simply failed to do. They did not raise their game or went into other areas of music, like KC, (who, btw, cringed when someone referred to their 'new' music as prog) which is what avant-garde groups are doing now. There was little of eighties hard rock and metal that sounded recycled to me, even if that genre was quite long in the tooth.
Perhaps the fault lies in the eighties prog artists, and also in the fans that embraced the empty facades of soulless prog dinosaurs like eighties era Pink Floyd, who thrived on their brand name instead of offering substantial prog music. All of which sounds like a sure fire recipe for losing one's way. 

Edited by SteveG - July 15 2015 at 13:45
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 11:47
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

1.- Real artists
2.- Real bands
3.- Real labels 

Because there are no real artists, bands, or labels now. Tell that to Ipecac, The Flesner, blood music, apathia records, and the endless new bands that I find almost every single day. Sure, those labels don't make anyone rich but to me that makes them more real than anything.

Yes there are, but not in the number of the 70's, plus there's not the same interest

In the 70's you could make a living, a B class band (I love them) like Pavlov's Dog, were paid an enormous amount of money as an advance (US$ 640,000) by Dunhill Records  before they recorded their first album.

Today real artists who self produce their records, need a day job to survive.

Most bands self producing their albums, are lowering the level and quality, destroying the interest of real labels for good bands who have to sacrifice their oportunities.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 15 2015 at 11:56

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 13:03

Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

1.- Real artists
2.- Real bands
3.- Real labels 

(...) a B class band (I love them) like Pavlov's Dog, were paid an enormous amount of money as an advance (US$ 640,000) by Dunhill Records  before they recorded their first album. (...)

An obvious example of money laundering. How much of that amount was left for the band, maybe 20%?

I'm joking ... of course that I do believe that some good manager was really giving all that money to B class band in advance.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 13:10

An obvious example of money laundering. How much of that amount was left for the band, maybe 20%?

According to David Surkamp, they were having the great life, and what they received for their Pampered Menial and At the Sound of the Bell, made them quite wealthy.

As a fact they received much more to move from Dunhill to Columbia Records

And remember, US$ 650,000.00 of 1974 is equivalent to US$3,120,000.00 from today.

What label today gives that kind of money to a band like Pavlov's Dog (I'm a fan but they were no Pink Floyd,  King Crimson, Yes or Genesis)?

And Duhill Records was no Columbia or A&M.

I'm joking ... of course that I do believe that some good manager was really giving all that money to B class band in advance.

Not a good manager, a solid label.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 15 2015 at 13:33

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 13:53
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Perhaps the fault lies in the eighties prog artists, and also in the fans that embraced the empty facades of soulless prog dinosaurs like eighties era Pink Floyd, who thrived on their brand name instead of offering substantial prog music. All of which sounds like a sure fire recipe for losing one's way. 

You got that right, see my MLoR review ;

3 stars This release was an event. Nominally Pink Floyd's new record after all the internal nonsense, it has many important Floyd markers-- it sounds great; it's pithy, tragically hip, and dark all at once; and it incorporates elements of past favorites as Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, and The Wall. Dave Gilmour's vocals are fine and his flowing blues chops right in the pocket yielding some real good moments.

But the individual parts don't necessarily make up a whole and there is something decidedly missing, and the empirical evidence suggests that it would be Roger Waters ("a pretty fair forgery" ?-- I'm afraid that's kind). One doesn't have to be a Waters fan to understand the 1987 issue is an excellent example of how important one band member can be, especially a mover & shaker like RW. The tension is gone, everything works smoothly, and that's a real shame. There is also a tangible lack of lyrical depth replaced by an easier, formulaic verse. I mean when you're rhyming "love" and "glove" maybe it's time for some soul-searching, if only out of courtesy. The overall impression is that of a cold, well-oiled machine: a dreadnought that could punch out all the modern, ironic spacerock you want 24 hours a day if you let it. It's not a pretty picture, and is itself consumed by the very post-apocalyptic visions it feeds upon. Worse is the feeling we're hearing an imitation, a cruel pun, New Coke.

Some didn't seem to mind in '87, basking in the light of new material from a favorite group. Others heard the quiet desperation but gave them a pass. After all, it could've been worse. The anemic single 'Learning to Fly' has Gilmour's studio-only breathiness and Jimi Hendrix guitar phrasing over the munch of an electronic percussive. Dave and the boys' synthestra encroaches, incurs, and Wagners its way through the battlements in 'Dogs of War' and "it's scary now" melodrama. 'One Slip' is promising with remnants of his About Face period, 'On the Turning Away's arm-twisting sentiment is saved by a popping guitar solo, sandstorms and incomprehensible lyrics fill-out the enormous space of 'Yet Another Movie' and the mean scurl of Dave's ax opens superfluous 'Sorrow'.

I don't begrudge Gilmour & Friends this first try (as I recall Division Bell was a bit better), but it was far from the album we wanted and needed in those lean years of the '80s, and it had the sense these three vets were occasionally phoning it in. After giving so much, they probably deserved it. I just don't know if we did. In many ways this was indeed a momentary lapse of reason, no doubt to the giddy delight of Mr. Waters.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 14:25
Ivan, I get what you're saying now. My bad haha

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 19:37
David, that's a great review and I have similar thoughts on AMOLOR. Soul is a good word to explore here.  There's not much fire in the belly nowadays in prog and seemingly that is the case in most rock music as such too (perhaps grunge was the last such 'movement' in rock).  There's a lot of prog coming out nowadays that is very technically accomplished and quite well produced too in spite of the constraints they operate under.  But there is no pain, no anguish in this music; it's mostly a continuation of the escapist brand of corporate rock that has been around for a couple of decades or more.  I don't begrudge somebody else's right to like it and to be honest I do like it up to a point myself but I am unlikely to fall madly in love with such albums and want to listen to them over and over on a loop.  I can of course only speak of English language prog because there's no way to relate to the lyrics of other European or South American prog.  I had asked, somewhat politely and not in as many words, in my review of Grandine Il Vento as to what is the significance of this album, what does it have to say.  So, yes, even the older bands who were around in the 70s are trying to fit prog/rock into this circle of 'positivity'.  Maybe the fault lies with us that we are unable to rewire our emotions to be able to experience revelations while listening to this surfeit of positive music.

Edited by rogerthat - July 15 2015 at 19:39
san0648 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 20:40
I guess I'll go ahead and say it...

The beloved prog bands of the early days only did exactly what a lot of people are accusing bands of doing today: adding already existing elements to a genre of music (rock).

We all love prog back then for the classical, folk, jazz/fusion, and rock elements. But fact is, it was just a melting pot of all those styles. I, personally, don't think anyone has really done anything new since the delta blues era. Since then, its all been cool, hip, angry, confused, nostalgic, re-worked versions of those songs.

Nothing is new under the sun, even the beloved prog of the 70's. Just enjoy music you listen to and don't hark too hard on no new bands creating something brand spanking new never before heard of. Chances are, you aren't doing it either. ;-)

And with that, I await the barrage of negative comments.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 21:55
If the whey is gone, what's to come of the curds? Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>