Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRock and Roll Hall of Fame's assesment of Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 17:11
you operate on a higher plain of existence than me darling.. me knuckedragger.. you educated... I had no idea I was taking us into the land of mistranslations.. perhaps not as fun and interesting as the almighty cucumber but hey.. the key to thread derailment is to go with the flow and let it go where it wants to go. LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2015 at 01:01
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Genesis were added before Rush.  And seeing as Watcher of the Skies was performed at their induction, it's not clear that the Gabriel years had nothing to do with it.

As a fact, Peter Gabriel is also in the hall for his solo work.

Iván

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2015 at 08:18
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

"The most frequent criticism of the Hall of Fame is that the nomination process is controlled by a few individuals who are not themselves musicians, such as founder Jann Wenner (co-founder and editor-in-chief ofRolling Stone magazine); former foundation director Suzan Evans; and writer Dave Marsh, reflecting their personal tastes rather than the views of the rock world as a whole. A former member of the nominations board once commented that "At one point Suzan Evans lamented the choices being made because there weren't enough big names that would sell tickets to the dinner. That was quickly remedied by dropping one of the doo-wop groups being considered in favor of a 'name' artist ... I saw how certain pioneering artists of the '50s and early '60s were shunned because there needed to be more name power on the list, resulting in '70s superstars getting in before the people who made it possible for them. Some of those pioneers still aren't in today." Sister Rosetta Tharpe is considered "The Godmother/Grandmother of Rock & Roll" by most music observers, but has yet to be inducted, as the influential soul/funk group Tower of Power has not yet been honored.[31]

I love this part. Seriously, since their boundaries of what defines rock & roll have been stretched beyond meaning anyways, they should just do away with the "25 year eligibility" rule and induct Adele and Taylor Swift next year. They can sell the dinner seats for a small fortune and still fill the hall, accusations of gender bias will be muted, and more tween-types will drag their parents to the RRHoF to see all those wonderful dresses worn by their idols on display. Plus it will piss off Kanye West...always a good thing. Like, who really even cares anymore?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2015 at 15:53
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Genesis were added before Rush.  And seeing as Watcher of the Skies was performed at their induction, it's not clear that the Gabriel years had nothing to do with it.

Iván

Clap

which would make excluding him from the group's induction, as he left before Genesis became known, would very tricky as opposed to leaving off the Joe-6 Packs of the musical world that played with other groups and weren't associated with the classic lineups that offered up the work that served as the basis for their induction.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2015 at 16:03
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Iván

Clap

which would make excluding him from the group's induction, as he left before Genesis became known

Genesis were touring the States regularly when Gabriel was with them. They played the whole of the Lamb, famously, in the US before barely anyone had heard the thing. In our homeland, they were, after Selling England, rising to the top tier of live bands. The issue the rest of them had with him when he left was that they were on the verge of becoming massive. As it happens, they managed that perfectly well without him, ironically
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2015 at 16:06
oh that they did for sure man! Thumbs Up Afterall they did have their best albums in front of them which surely helped pave the way to superstardom! Clap
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2015 at 16:07
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Genesis were touring the States regularly when Gabriel was with them. They played the whole of the Lamb, famously, in the US before barely anyone had heard the thing. In our homeland, they were, after Selling England, rising to the top tier of live bands. The issue the rest of them had with him when he left was that they were on the verge of becoming massive. As it happens, they managed that perfectly well without him, ironically

And it would have been interesting to see what direction they went in over the next few albums if Gabriel had stayed around ....would they have remained prog or gone more pop over time as they did with Collins?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2015 at 16:45

And it would have been interesting to see what direction they went in over the next few albums if Gabriel had stayed around ....would they have remained prog or gone more pop over time as they did with Collins?

Let's think. Gabriel non commercial hit singles....

Solsbury Hill
DIY
Games Without Frontiers
No Self Control
Shock The Monkey
Sledgehammer
Steam
Digging In The Dirt
Kiss That Frog

Pure prog, man
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2015 at 22:05

Let's think. Gabriel non commercial hit singles....

Solsbury Hill
DIY
Games Without Frontiers
No Self Control
Shock The Monkey
Sledgehammer
Steam
Digging In The Dirt
Kiss That Frog

Pure prog, man

I don't really know much Gabriel solo, but I would think your post is sarcastic. I think Genesis would have gone commercial anyway, because Gabriel went commercial, Genesis by themselves went commercial too, and The Lamb already had hints of the band being commercial, since it favor the shorter song format over the extended instrumental passages from their previous albums. Having this in mind, and since for me The Lamb was rather a disapointment because of this very reasons, and given that what little I have heard from Gabriel solo hasn't impressed me at all, I might be controversial and say that I actually doubt I would have liked the 80's Genesis better if Gabriel had stayed than what they actually did. In the end, songs like Mama, Home by the Sea, Land of Confusion, and some others are really great for me, and like them sung by Collins, and I wouldn't have liked the existance or end result of such songs compromised.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 19:55
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Pure prog, man

I don't really know much Gabriel solo, but I would think your post is sarcastic. I think Genesis would have gone commercial anyway, because Gabriel went commercial, Genesis by themselves went commercial too, and The Lamb already had hints of the band being commercial, since it favor the shorter song format over the extended instrumental passages from their previous albums. Having this in mind, and since for me The Lamb was rather a disapointment because of this very reasons, and given that what little I have heard from Gabriel solo hasn't impressed me at all, I might be controversial and say that I actually doubt I would have liked the 80's Genesis better if Gabriel had stayed than what they actually did. In the end, songs like Mama, Home by the Sea, Land of Confusion, and some others are really great for me, and like them sung by Collins, and I wouldn't have liked the existance or end result of such songs compromised.[/QUOTE]

Short format doesn't mean less Prog.

Gabriel Genesis wasn't famous for epics as other bands, as a fact they only made one epic in all their career.

The Lamb more than a collection of songs ius a whole story consisting in several parts, no short tracks, The Lamb must be understood as a whole.

Whoever tells me this is not Prog at it's best, must be deaf

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 21:49
Exactly, length's got nothing to do with it.  Knots is more progressive than Scheherazade.  And Lamb is one of the most proggy albums of Genesis and filled to the brim with my favourite Genesis tracks, esp Lamia.  
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2015 at 22:56

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Pure prog, man

I don't really know much Gabriel solo, but I would think your post is sarcastic. I think Genesis would have gone commercial anyway, because Gabriel went commercial, Genesis by themselves went commercial too, and The Lamb already had hints of the band being commercial, since it favor the shorter song format over the extended instrumental passages from their previous albums. Having this in mind, and since for me The Lamb was rather a disapointment because of this very reasons, and given that what little I have heard from Gabriel solo hasn't impressed me at all, I might be controversial and say that I actually doubt I would have liked the 80's Genesis better if Gabriel had stayed than what they actually did. In the end, songs like Mama, Home by the Sea, Land of Confusion, and some others are really great for me, and like them sung by Collins, and I wouldn't have liked the existance or end result of such songs compromised.

Short format doesn't mean less Prog.

Gabriel Genesis wasn't famous for epics as other bands, as a fact they only made one epic in all their career.

The Lamb more than a collection of songs ius a whole story consisting in several parts, no short tracks, The Lamb must be understood as a whole.

Whoever tells me this is not Prog at it's best, must be deaf

[/QUOTE]

No, length of a song doesn't really make it any more prog or good by itself. But often enough, the longer songs (over 7 min, I guess) end up being the ones I love the most, and it isn't that disregard the shorter songs just because of their length, I do give them all their fair chance (just as there are some times I do feel some songs would do good to be shorter, Transatlantic has some songs that could be trimmed by even 10 min, and be better for it, and still be considered epics). However, from Genesis my very favourite songs are "Musical Box", "Supper's Ready", "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight", and "Cinema Show", I could add "The Knife", "One for the Vine", and some of the 80's output ("Mama", "Home by the Sea", "Land of Confusion")... and "In the Cage", from The Lamb... which happens to be one of the longer songs... still, there are many of the shorter ones that I do like (I actually mentioned two from the 80's), but I don't feel they achieve the same greatness. And The Lamb just isn't as satisfying for me, not only because of it's shorter songs, but there's something that just doesn't click with me (same happens for me with Pink Floyd and "The Wall").
Rockin rob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 16:56
Maybe they have guy,s like Herb Tarlik from WKRP in Cincinnati help count the votes at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 17:01
Herb Tarlik was a lovely man.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456