Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roger Waters - The Pros & Cons of Going Solo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 18:03
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I thought it was a Scottish thing where you have been adopted into the clan, be it the clan MacDonald, the clan MacDougal, the can MacRob. or in this case the clan MacHine and they were wondering about his whereaboots before realising the he was having a bite to eat at the house o the nice lass wha livit doun the lade.

Welcome ma son
welcome tae the MacHine
where have ye been?
it's alricht we know where ye've been...
Ower at Miss MacMillan's tastin her delicious cullen skink again, richt?

LOLClap
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 18:08
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I thought it was a Scottish thing where you have been adopted into the clan, be it the clan MacDonald, the clan MacDougal, the can MacRob. or in this case the clan MacHine and they were wondering about his whereaboots before realising the he was having a bite to eat at the house o the nice lass wha livit doun the lade.

Welcome ma son
welcome tae the MacHine
where have ye been?
it's alricht we know where ye've been...
Ower at Miss MacMillan's tastin her delicious cullen skink again, richt?

Bravo!  Clap
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2023 at 09:35
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

4 stars 1992: Roger Waters - Amused to Death - http://https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ka1U3tes8Atdy1A_8oxGbPw7qVyg2qhIQ

Roger is not amused! Roger Waters' third album explores more doom and gloom themes, ranging from World War One, the Gulf War and the ever-present threat of nuclear armageddon. It's a typical Roger Waters album then, although there's something strangely endearing about Roger's curmudgeonly outlook on life. After all, who else but Roger Waters could make a Radiohead album sound cheerful by comparison. Tongue

Should be pointed out that Waters 'borrowed' the concept and title from a book by Neil Postman from 1985https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusing_Ourselves_to_Death

Edited by dr wu23 - June 01 2023 at 09:48
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2023 at 07:17
Hi....
What a fight about RW! Are you watched his last concert?! Who can say he should retired?! As a multi-media artist , RW can make newer stuffs that be great.
I listened and watched some stuffs from Peter Gabriel , Jethro Tull , Steve Hackett (Foxtrot live 2023) and I really impressed. They are old but not finished.
Some guys told about Dylan . What is it? You cant compare RW to another Country or Rock musicians. Each of them have their touch and taste and respectable but they are not in Progressive Rock world. We talk here about Prog Artists not Rock , Funk or Disco style. KC mean "King Crimson" here not "KC and Sunshine band"!!! 
Perhaps "KC and Sunshine band" have too many fans that dont like RW or King Crimson or ... Is it important here in PA forum under Appreciate bands and Artists ... title?!!!

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2023 at 18:53
When The Wall came tumbling down..... Will Pink Floyd ever get back together again? Will Pigs Fly? Just when you thought the chances of that happening are about as  likely as seeing Pigs (on the wing) flying over Battersea Power Station, along comes David Gilmour to surprise us all again back in 2011, although David and Roger are still kind of separated by The Wall, with David Gilmour standing on top of The Wall and Roger Waters on stage down below, which probably has some deep metaphorical meaning somewhere, which I haven't quite figured out yet. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 06 2023 at 18:56
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2023 at 20:17
^ As I understand, the meaning of Gilmour standing on top of the Wall is that he did exactly that in the original concerts with Pink Floyd in the 80's.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 11:27
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ As I understand, the meaning of Gilmour standing on top of the Wall is that he did exactly that in the original concerts with Pink Floyd in the 80's.
Can you explain about "the meaning" that you mentioned?! I don't get it!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2023 at 22:41
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Can you explain about "the meaning" that you mentioned?! I don't get it!

I don't know if there was a meaning, I only know Gilmour did that since the Pink Floyd shows back in the 80's (in the booklet to the live version of The Wall, there was a quote of Gilmour saying that was the best part of the shows for him). I guess he or Waters just thought it would look cool... remember they had built a Wall between the band and the crowd, so they had to find ways to keep the audience enternained and not just looking at a blank wall (at some point Waters would appear from the middle of the wall, as if from a window, and I don't know what else). So Gilmour just did it again when he was a guest for Waters (though I believe in the rest of the tour Kilminster had been taking his place on top of the wall).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 04:17
5 stars 2000: Roger Waters - In the Flesh - Live - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDTWsuyDYRM

We've spent some of The Happiest Days of Our Lives listening to the music of Roger Waters over the years and In the Flesh is Another Brick in the Wall of great live performances. This fabulous concert features music from many of Pink Floyd's classic albums, including Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and of course, The Wall, as well as tracks from some of Roger's solo albums too. So, you get the full Waters' Works all in one amazing concert, with special guests Andy Fairweather Low and Snowy White, as well as P.P Arnold and Katie Kissoon on backing vocals. Oh, and there's also a couple of songs included from The Final Cut too. Anyway, enough waffle from me, just enjoy the music. Thumbs Up

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 05:07
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 06:13
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Seen it last monday
Broadcasted during La Tribune (every Monday evening and dedicated to Football) on Belgian TV 1
:-)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 08:21
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Seen it last monday
Broadcasted during La Tribune (every Monday evening and dedicated to Football) on Belgian TV 1
:-)

Hardly the full thing was broadcasted

The young lady (appointed to social networks watch) only showed a few pictures, but BDC (the host) didn't even get his dates right about the album releases. 
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2023 at 08:21
5 stars 2020: Roger Waters - Us + Them - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R79x4ywG_C8

At last! Wake up and Smell the Roses because the long wait is over. It's another chance to revisit all of those old Pink Floyd favourites we listened to When We Were Young. Yes,  Roger Waters' stunning Us + Them concert finally makes its reappearance on YouTube in its entirety (with special guest Jonathan Wilson), so enjoy it while you can, as it may just as suddenly disappear again One of These Days. Geek

That's my musical entertainment sorted for tonight. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 04 2023 at 11:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 02:57
5 stars 2023: Roger Waters - This is Not a Drill: Still Live and Rocking in Prague in 2023. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 05 2023 at 02:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 06:37
Brilliant news! When the rest of the world was in lockdown during the Covid-19 scare, Roger Waters was busy recording The Lockdown Sessions (with special guests Jonathan Wilson and Dave Kilminster), the aim being to improve on his previous iconic works with Pink Floyd. So how do you improve on a masterpiece you may well ask? Just like this! Clap

* This outstanding album may have already been featured elsewhere. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 07 2023 at 06:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 15:06
Roger Waters presents The Dark Side of the Moon worldwide concert tour 2006-2008 which has never been released on DVD, so Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun and enjoy it while you can. You know it all makes Perfect Sense, Rodney. Thumbs Up

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 15:20

Brilliant news! When the rest of the world was in lockdown during the Covid-19 scare, Roger Waters was busy recording The Lockdown Sessions (with special guests Jonathan Wilson and Dave Kilminster), the aim being to improve on his previous iconic works with Pink Floyd. So how do you improve on a masterpiece you may well ask? Just like this! Clap

5 stars<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"> 2022: Roger Waters - The Lockdown Sessions - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kHSppQrHjZrehfvgTQBS9nwG9b-dCKqZE</span>

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">* This outstanding album may have already been featured elsewhere. Wink</span>

Yes. I finally bought this on CD. It is absolutely lovely. Two suns and the Sunset is my favourite. Amazing spin on that track.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 15:20

Roger Waters presents The Dark Side of the Moon worldwide concert tour 2006-2008 which has never been released on DVD, so Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun and enjoy it while you can. You know it all makes Perfect Sense, Rodney. Thumbs Up

Actually. It all makes perfect sense in all 3 parts.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 15:39
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

5 stars<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"> 2022: Roger Waters - The Lockdown Sessions - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kHSppQrHjZrehfvgTQBS9nwG9b-dCKqZE</span>

</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">* This outstanding album may have already been featured elsewhere. Wink</span>

Still Waters runs deep - so deep in fact that Roger's reworked version of Two Suns in the Sunset  

Yes. I finally bought this on CD. It is absolutely lovely. Two suns and the Sunset is my favourite. Amazing spin on that track.

Still Waters runs deep - so deep in fact that Roger's lovely reworked version of Two Suns in the Sunset runs right into my very heart and soul. Heart Hug
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2023 at 15:45

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

</span>

Still Waters runs deep - so deep in fact that Roger's reworked version of Two Suns in the Sunset  

Still Waters runs deep - so deep in fact that Roger's lovely reworked version of Two Suns in the Sunset runs right into my very heart and soul. Heart Hug

Wow. I love this attitude of yours. This uninhibited enthusiasm. Looks like we are in the same camp, my friend. Straight through the heart indeed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>