Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Album of the Year Discussion thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 17:34
I'm tenacious.  I think it was more my being unused to the database, I can be thick at times.  But maybe somehow highlight that for others.  Your destructions were easy to follow.  

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 18:21
If I try going from scratch then I get this

something seems not to be working!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 20:01
I would enjoy reading someone's review of Colin Carter's very nice new CD, "Tracks in Space!"  Not space rock, but a nicely rocking little romp through prog-land! 

Some of the songs have a nice Middle Eastern tint to them, and I swear would make nice material for the next James Bond soundtrack!  

I have to disqualify myself from posting a review as he's a personal friend.  Would someone do the honors? 

Cheers, Happy Boxing Day and Merry Merry!!  

Edited by cstack3 - December 26 2023 at 20:03
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 02:08
^ not so sure this is the thread for such a request, but if you must, why not. I've even rated the release a few months ago on AP: https://awesomeprog.com/releases/65991

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 27 2023 at 02:35
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 02:09
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

If I try going from scratch then I get this

something seems not to be working!

You can do it from scratch if you prefer - so now this is your list. Just add more releases …
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 02:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

And here it is: You are now able to import your old selection - just copy your list code in the forum and paste it into the text box in the tool which says "Lost your selection? ...".

Unfortunatalely this doesn't seem to work for me. I've picked some extra selections and attempted to re-order but it keeps moving albums to the bottom of the list when I try and drag them.

Strange - it works when I try to sort my list. Which browser are you using?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 06:38
^ That has not been an issue for me with Firefox, which I have been using for this.

It would be great to see some more lists from people, be they final, tentative, in the making.... One way that people discover albums is from the lists and comments in topics such as this, which is a reason to consider starting to post your favourites on the earlier side.

A thing I really like about using and viewing the chart[s] at AP is how dynamic it is. It's a living list with nothing set in stone until, at least, the heavy gargoyle sings. And great for me to see those in PA choices as well as out of PA choices.

And note, if your favourites by acts that are not included in PA you think could be PA worthy, the sooner those are suggested the more likely they will be listed in time for the official AOTY results. And an album of a band/artist already in PA may not be on the AwesomeProg list because that album was never added to PA (I found several through looking through the awesome Prog non-PA list). Any Prog Archives member can add albums to PA, and members of AwesomeProg can add albums and acts to AP.

I really like having all of the PA community being involved in this, or having the opportunity, and thanks to all who participated... and especially thanks to Mike for the chart and all that work and for carrying this endeavour.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 09:50
FYI: I improved the texts and usability on the voting page and added back a filter for AP users to narrow down the list of releases to those they interacted with. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 16:19
I've lost my selections that I want to edit how do i find my 'Forum Code'? And how do I paste it into the box? Doesn't seem to be a editable field

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 27 2023 at 16:21
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 16:33
^ You can copy your list from my post above, just paste it into the textarea that says "Lost your selection? Paste your forum code here [...]". The list is stored in your browser, so it will get lost if you use a different browser, or a different computer, or if you delete your browser cache.

BTW: Whoever pointed out that the drag-and-drop sorting did not work correctly was right ... I've just fixed it. Embarrassed
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 16:48
Not seeing some of the Jazz stuff that would make my list

Blue Cranes  - My Only Secret
GoGo Penguin - Everything Is Going To Be OK
Illegal Crowns - Unclosing
Mammal Hands - Gift From The Trees
Mazurek, Rob / Exploding Star Orchestra - Lightning Dreamers
Shibui - Quint
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 16:49

^ Registered. Interesting, especially that Yussef Dayes album. It's currently #73 in the RYM chart for 2023.

Check it out if you like afrobeat jazz
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 16:57
Seeing Jaimie Branch tagged as 'Anxious Rhythmic Prog Avant Electronic/Jazz' is weird, she's jazz

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 27 2023 at 17:05
Ian

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 17:01
^ Added your missing releases to the database. Smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 27 2023 at 17:01
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 17:03
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Seeing Jaimie Branch tagged as 'Anxious Rhythmic Prog Avant Electronic/Jazz' is weird, she's jazz

Yes, unfortunately the release is tagged as electronic on Bandcamp, and that got automatically picked up. 

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 27 2023 at 17:03
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 17:06
Do you have a way of having entries with equal points having the same ranking?

Currently I see

26. The Mercury Tree - Self Similar - 30 points
27. Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex - 30 points
28. Damanek - Making Shore - 30 points
29. Moon Safari - Himlabacken Vol 2 - 28 points

This should really be

26. The Mercury Tree - Self Similar - 30 points
26. Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex - 30 points
26. Damanek - Making Shore - 30 points
29. Moon Safari - Himlabacken Vol 2 - 28 points
Ian

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 17:10
^ yes, I will implement that soon. 😊
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 20:17
Just a reminder.

Feel free to drop me a PM, but I'll also outline how this works here again, in case other users are wondering:

1. You go to https://awesomeprog.com/release-polls/pa/aoty-2023. No need to log in or create an account at AP.
2. On that page you can use the releases list on the left hand side of the screen to select your favorite releases. There is a link/button called "show all releases (PA + Non-PA)" above the list which you can use to remove the restriction to only showing PA releases.
3. If one of your favorite releases is not in the list, things get more complicated - you can then register/log into AP, enabling you to add artists and releases yourself. You can also ping me here in the forum or via PM, and I'll add the release for you. If it is a PA release, it will also need to be linked to the PA database entry. You can also do that yourself (by adding the link on the AP release page), or I can do it.
4. Assuming that you were able to select all your favorite releases, you can then sort them on the right hand side of the screen.
5. Once your list looks good, you can select the generated code in the text box below the list on the right hand side and copy it into a post in this forum, where my script will pick it up and register it properly, so that it appears on the page in the users tab and as part of the combined charts in the other tabs.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2023 at 23:14
^ Please PM me about the search function, we can sort it out. Your list looks good, but my script does not import it because you are also quoting your previous list in your reply, and I'm skipping posts which contain quoted lists. Can you post it once again without a reply in the post?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2023 at 01:29
FYI: I have improved the search function, it now ignores the filters. So when you search for something you will find it regardless of whether you set the filter to only show PA releases, or to only show releases you interacted with.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 28 2023 at 01:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>