Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreat ELP Debate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 14:48

The Clash not punk?!!! Listen to White Man at the Hammersmith Palais. Listen to London Calling

I rest my case - indeed I'll rest my entire set of luggage.

Of course America only got them late on - and hmmmm isn't that when they have 65,000 people thru the door at Shea Stadium. Don't tell me punk didn't have an impact. Just ask the Strokes

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 14:48
Originally posted by arcer arcer wrote:

ah yes Reed but Rush had adapted to survive. 1980's Permanent Waves is you'll agree massively different to 1978's Hemispheres - shorter, tougher tunes, a more defined sense of structure. By Moving Pictures they were dabbling with reggae and new wave (Red Barchetta, Vital Signs) and by Signals they'd turned into The Police

Funnily enough, whilst I cant substantiate it just at this moment, The Police were seen at quite a few Rush gigs in the late 70's early 80's (i kid you not-and no jokes about the boys in blue!)

Big smile

arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 14:52

they were obviously checking out if it was possible to sue for having your identity stolen

(and I'm a huge rush fan - my first prog love but even I can recognise some of their faults - see it is possible to see a bigger picture)

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 14:55

The Clash not punk?!!! Listen to White Man at the Hammersmith Palais. Listen to London Calling

Of course America only got them late on - and hmmmm isn't that when they have 65,000 people thru the door at Shea Stadium. Don't tell me punk didn't have an impact. Just ask the Strokes

Listen to "Nevermind the Bollocks" and then listen to anything by the Clash... sorry, the Clash were just a pop band....

Oh.. and the Mets get 65,000 thru the door at Shea Stadium all the time... And geez, ELP got over 150,000 at the Calif. jam....

Edited by threefates
THIS IS ELP
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 14:57
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

Listen to "Nevermind the Bollocks" and then listen to anything by the Clash... sorry, the Clash were just a pop band....

GRRRRRRRRR 

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 15:06

Three fates wrote; Listen to "Nevermind the Bollocks" and then listen to anything by the Clash... sorry, the Clash were just a pop band....

Oh.. and the Mets get 65,000 thru the door at Shea Stadium all the time... And geez, ELP got over 150,000 at the Calif. jam....

Size isn't everything darling

And while the Pistols were a load of fun, their punk credentials were nothing like those of The Clash. And anyway wasn't California Jam a mulit-band festival. ELP weren't the only draw.

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 15:22

The Pistols - much as I love them - were as manufactured as any boy band. They released 4 classic singles, which also accounted for almost all the best tracks on 'Never Mind The Bollocks'. After Rotten left, they turned into a sad parody of themselves. How punk is that?

The Clash were also manufactured, up to a point, but they engaged with the truly scary politics of the day (neo nazi parties like the BNP and the NF recruiting at punk gigs, inner city riots, heavy handed racist policing, IRA bombing campaigns) in a way that the Pistols never did. Songs like White Riot, White Man In Hammersmith Palais, Career Opportunities and just about everything off 'London Calling' are a vivid snapshot of late 70s England. They refused to appear on Top Of The Pops and were a permanent feature at gigs benefiting the Anti-Nazi League and Rock Against Racism, as well as a host of lesser causes. Just a pop band? Yeah, right.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 15:35
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

The Pistols - much as I love them - were as manufactured as any boy band. They released 4 classic singles, which also accounted for almost all the best tracks on 'Never Mind The Bollocks'. After Rotten left, they turned into a sad parody of themselves. How punk is that?

The Clash were also manufactured, up to a point, but they engaged with the truly scary politics of the day (neo nazi parties like the BNP and the NF recruiting at punk gigs, inner city riots, heavy handed racist policing, IRA bombing campaigns) in a way that the Pistols never did. Songs like White Riot, White Man In Hammersmith Palais, Career Opportunities and just about everything off 'London Calling' are a vivid snapshot of late 70s England. They refused to appear on Top Of The Pops and were a permanent feature at gigs benefiting the Anti-Nazi League and Rock Against Racism, as well as a host of lesser causes. Just a pop band? Yeah, right.

Yep, exactly... but the Clash were just as manufactured as the Sex Pistols... and as the Damned for that matter... who first album was produced by Nick Lowe.. and I believe their second album was produced by Nick Mason...

The Clash did what they did for publicity alone.. just as the Damned and the Sex Pistols.. it was like watching actors performing a show most time... I look at them as no different than the rap/hip hop artists of today... looking bad means making money

Which is really what happened to Prog... when you think about it, Prog was not exactly an easy concept for teenagers to understand and during the 70s with the baby boomers, teens were most largely responsible for record sales... Punk and even Grunge after it, more closely related to what teens were going thru... it was only normal that they gravitated towards it.

Lets also remember despite Punks influence the biggest acts in 1977 were Fleetwood Mac, ELO and The Eagles, why? because few people wanted to hear an entire album of punk or disco - have a look at the rise of the compilation albums in the late 70's, early 80s!

Edited by threefates
THIS IS ELP
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 15:41

Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Yep, exactly... but the Clash were just as manufactured as the Sex Pistols... and as the Damned for that matter... who first album was produced by Nick Lowe.. and I believe their second album was produced by Nick Mason...

The Clash did what they did for publicity alone.. just as the Damned and the Sex Pistols.. it was like watching actors performing a show most time... I look at them as no different than the rap/hip hop artists of today... looking bad means making money

Who's to say that's true?  Did it never occur to you that maybe they just cared?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 15:42

Unless you are in total wind-up mode, 3F8TS, you have seriously under-estimated The Clash as a Cultural Phenomenon. They were totally genuine blokes regardless of the music they played and genuinely believed in the things they stood up for! They were at the fore-front of political aggro-rock during a very volatile time in the UK. I, for one, salute them!

Stern Smile

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 15:43

Quote Lets also remember despite Punks influence the biggest acts in 1977 were Fleetwood Mac, ELO and The Eagles, why? because few people wanted to hear an entire album of punk or disco - have a look at the rise of the compilation albums in the late 70's, early 80s!

It was about time I could agree with Threefates.

I rather listen a Fleetwood Mac, Elo or even The Eagles album than any punk record. It's simply boring to listen an album full of songs created with only 2 or 3 chords repeated ad nauseam. Punk IMO is the absolñute lack of imagination, at least POP is elaborated.

Punk musicians (if you can call them musicians) IMO are a bunch of posers singing against the system that is providing them with a lot of money, almost as rappers.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 15:51
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

Unless you are in total wind-up mode, 3F8TS, you have seriously under-estimated The Clash as a Cultural Phenomenon. They were totally genuine blokes regardless of the music they played and genuinely believed in the things they stood up for! They were at the fore-front of political aggro-rock during a very volatile time in the UK. I, for one, salute them!

Stern Smile

Of course you do, they played exactly to what was going on in England at the time.  They genuinely believed in things they stood for... how much money do you think they ever donated to a cause... just asking??

THIS IS ELP
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 15:58

The Clash, and Strummer in particular, didn't take too kindly to the whole US concept and began a constant stream of criticism in the media. More cries of "sell out" were directed at them for taking all of that scratch(money?), which may have motivated some of the anger. Joe began making demands on Woz (Steve Wozniak-Apple)else the band hold back their services. He wanted a certain number of donations to charity, and the Clash stated that their fee would go to help struggling young bands in England.

Big smile

Clash and Strummer fans have been encouraged to make donations to activist and environmental groups the musician supported. A message posted on the Epitaph Records website said: "In observance of Joe's passing, we ask that you check out the Mandela SOS organization and the Future Forest organization. Joe was active in both of these charities and his family has asked for a charity donation to them in lieu of flowers, etc. Future Forests has a Joe Strummer memorial forest that you can donate money and have a tree planted in his memory. If you can, please help these charities out."

All donations received by Future Forests will be used to create a Strummer forest on the Isle Of Skye in Scotland. More information may be found at futureforests.com.

-- Darryl Morden, Los Angeles

Big smile

The Clash To Reunite For Charity?

05/12/2000 3:00 PM, LAUNCH
Craig Rosen

(5/12/00, 3 p.m. ET) - The long hoped-for reunion of the The Clash may finally happen -- for charity, and in the memory of the band's '70s punk-scene mate Ian Dury, who died of cancer earlier this year (LAUNCH, 3/27).

Britain's Mirror newspaper reports that the Clash's Joe Strummer, Mick Jones, and Topper Headon have all signed on to perform as the Clash for the Cancer BACUP benefit show in Dury's memory on June 16 at Brixton Academy in London.

Proceeds from the event will benefit British cancer-related causes. There's no word on whether bassist Paul Simonon will rejoin his old mates for a full-fledged Clash reunion. Also on the bill are members of Dury's band, the Blockheads -- who have asked Robbie Williams to sing with them -- as well as Madness, Neneh Cherry , Kirsty MacColl, and Republica singer Saffron.

-- Gary Graff, Detroit

Big smile

Edited by Reed Lover

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 16:02

Well thank you Reed... now I feel a little better...

But guess what, I met Joe Strummer a few times... and I'm not gonna tell you what I thought about him personally....

THIS IS ELP
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 16:07

personal antipathy has no bearing on Strummer and Jones' contribution, which, whatever way you look at (no matter how dearly you hold any prog band to your heart) is culturally way more relevant than 90 per cent of bands here.

That's not cause I'n championing punk or down on prog - I love both - it's just the truth.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 16:09

Well thank you Reed... now I feel a little better...

But guess what, I met Joe Strummer a few times... and I'm not gonna tell you what I thought about him personally....

And that bears what relation to any charitable acts The Clash did?

I once screwed a Physics Major, but I know f**k all about quantum mechanics.............even if she did let me see her black hole.........LOL

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 16:22

Cal Jam 1 Actually drew over 200,000 and had 8 bands.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 16:23

As a lawyer i laugh when I see most great bands donations to Charity, they live as kings and give to charity enough money to deduct from their taxes, specially when in some countries the money you give to certain institutions counts for 1.5 o 2 times as a deduction.

Real charity is given in secret with no propaganda and of course no tax coupons. 

As an example, I made the charity donations and tax payments of a big company, and they were happy because it represented 1.10 of their taxes and got free publicity, what else can you ask for?

They even asked for a coupon of that 0.10 to deduct it next year

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 16:26

giving is giving - doesn't matter if it's a tax dodge or not. At least it's a more productive tax dodge than b*****ing off to Switzerland for a 'hard, hard' year as a plutocratic tax exile.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 16:32

I take back what I said about how great this thread was.It's now turning into a steaming pile of dung.What's charity go do do with it ? I don't expect musicians to be great people.They only ever turn up to things like Live Aid because it improves their image and makes people think they are 'good' people.If only they could get their heads out of their own arses then maybe I would believe it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>