Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBuilding a guitar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 14:59
I've finished it, or rather I finished it yesterday and never got round to posting about it. Big smile

Still not got it properly set up but it sounds great and the raw Pau Ferro neck is simply incredible, if any of you get a chance to play a raw neck go for it.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 19:50
Clap nice work Nick
What?
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 05:15
Lovely!
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 10:57
Managed to get a bit of recording done today with the strat, I've set up a myspace page just for this piece and obviously for future stuff too.

I've aimed for a post rock style which at times is rather too close to GY!BE (in particular F#A# infinity). Taking in to account that this was a one take half improvised half riff I've been working on for a couple of days piece I don't think it's come out too badly.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 18:22
Originally posted by N Ellingworth N Ellingworth wrote:

I've finished it, or rather I finished it yesterday and never got round to posting about it. Big smile

Still not got it properly set up but it sounds great and the raw Pau Ferro neck is simply incredible, if any of you get a chance to play a raw neck go for it.

Not sure what's more beautiful: this guitar or Antoine's boss nova album covers. Really. Nice work. Clap

E
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 18:13
The most frightening part when making my guitar, was I was close to being done, and I went to put the neck on.  I get the right screws, and they're about three inches long, and I'm just sitting there "wow, if I **** this up and it's not alligned correctly on the other side then I've just ruined this guitar."  And it was damn hard to get those screws through,  wood so hard it was screeching and making all kinds of horrible sounds as I put it through.  That always got me sweating.
mr70s View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 12:57

You really need to get the screw alignment perfect. The only resistance should come from the formation of the threads, and this will be consistent and smooth. After fully tightening the screws, there should be no screwdriver markings on the heads. This would show that excessive force has been used.

himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 16:20

Yeah man, I got it done right, my guitar has been perfect for years, just a freaky moment.  By the way, is that YOUR Moog in your picture?

progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 16:28
My brother is learning to build guitars at a college nearby. He's working on his second and third guitar at the moment, but his first one was made all with hand tools! It's acoustic guitars by the way. He said he'd get around to making me a bass if I got him money for the cost of the materials.

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 03:29

Hehe, can't believe I missed this post the first time aroundConfused
Looks good dude, nice stuff.

How's the trem working for you?
Can you compare it to a Fender 6 screw or 2 point trem for performance to give me an idea of how well it works?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 10:47
Just spotted this post, this will be my first post for ages.

The wilkinson is a great trem, it's say it's really just an alternative to the standard Fender 2 point trem that needs a different rout ,so no floyd rose style whammies to be had. If you really a wilkinson trem a new one has been released that will fit any guitar with a fender 2 point trem. Although it is really expensive, but that's inevitable for a brand new design that fixes all the little niggles with the original. link

tbh the best trem of this type that I've used is the one fitted to recent Burns reissues, pity that their guitar aren't right for my playing style though.

Amazingly I've still not had time to set the guitar up properly, a mix of exams and a rather demanding project have got in the way (designing a battery powered guitar amp).
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 10:49

... and a rather demanding project have got in the way (designing a battery powered guitar amp).
prey tell... Big smile

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 11:05
It's a warm up for my final year electronics project, we've been given free reign to design and build something. anything goes as long as we can finish it in 12 weeks (+3 weeks over easter). I'm currently coming to the end of the design process.

As it stands the amp will require 9 or 18 volts from batteries this will be determined by the type of operational amplifiers I use. the power amp section will be fairly standard and should kick out just under 5 watts RMS or just over 5 watts peak to peak to an 8 ohm speaker.

It's the pre amp that's taken most of my time to develop, it starts with a unity gain amplifier which simply acts as a small current booster which will make working with the signal a little easier. Then there is the EQ section which has taken ages to develop, the EQ uses the standard Baxandall style tone stack as used by the likes of Fender and Marshall, however it is in fact 2 EQs in one as I will be building both Fender and Marshall style EQs (modified slighty to suit my intended control layout) and the design will allow blending between the 2 EQs giving access to all sorts of mid atlantic tones. Wink

After the EQ I've got a small fixed gain amp that will take the voltage up to the level required by the power amp. 

Doesn't sound like much but for a 15 week period it's a lot of work particularly since I've got to build a prototype.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 12:03
^ good luck with that, it sounds like a good project.

(I think your going to struggle to get 5Wrms from 9V batteries but let us know how you get on)
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 12:35
that would be the peak power, I reckon that the average will be closer to 2.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 01:26

ClapClapClap  well done Nick it looks amazing!

Prog Archives Tour Van
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 14:00
thanks mate.

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

(I think your going to struggle to get 5Wrms from 9V batteries but let us know how you get on)

Well I've just stumbled upon the LM385, a power amp chip that produces 5w at 22v, since I'll be running at 18v it'll be slightly less but still fairly close. Big smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 14:24

thanks mate.

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Well I've just stumbled upon the LM385, a power amp chip that produces 5w at 22v, since I'll be running at 18v it'll be slightly less but still fairly close. Big smile
Do you mean LM384?

Power will drop to just over 3W @ 18V (at 10% THD!) - one very minor problem is going to be current vs. battery life - 3W into 8R is 0.6A - and a PP3 battery will last about 30 minutes (and get warm, which will reduce its efficiency) - but you won't be running at full power continuously - so that shouldn't be a major issue. Still looking good though Thumbs Up 
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 14:38
opps, yeah I did mean 384 (I'm was a little preoccupied with sourcing heatsinks at the time)

Yeah I just noticed that myself PP3 batteries really aren't suitable for this project unless I limit myself to a really low power chip like the LM386, which is going to be very disappointing.
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 15:29
Hughes   & Kettner used to make a little tube preamp (used a 12Ax7 I think) that had an output of around 5w when hooked directly to a speaker cab.  I practiced through mine a lot.  Don't know if you could get this onto battery current though.  I suspect not unless you raid the folks' car.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>