Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat makes people find Prog boring?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 39>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2009 at 21:18
Ok,  I am revisiting this thread to address a recurring theme I am hearing here from posters: prog is not emotional or at least not as much as non prog.  Really?  Shocked  If you're just playing devil's advocate for the sake of those who don't listen to prog, fine but otherwise...lacks emotion???  In what way?  Where do you not hear emotion in Starless or the final section of Suppers Ready or House With No Door or Nimrodel...to name a few?  Sure we have our grandmaster of emotionless singing Jon Anderson but that doesn't mean the rest of the prog rock singers and musicians were/are like him. Tongue  It is not emotional in the "ooh baby why did you hurt me so" sense is all I can agree with.  LOL
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2009 at 22:02
I agree!!! I feel Prog's even got a wider range of emotion than other more conventional music. Pop usually relies only on the singer to evoke emotion, if you're lucky, you might find some emotion on guitar (specially if it's blues oriented music). But prog can use any or every instrument to transmit the emotion. Even Anderson's got his moments of emotion, for example, Heart of the Sunrise, specially the ABWH live version, how could you say there's no emotion there (at the end, with the loud singing of Anderson in company of Bruford's drums). And if Anderson isn't up to bring emotion, then perhaps Howe will get a breathtaking piece of guitar. Like that, I guess many of us can find great examples of emotion in Prog (and emotion isn't only Heart Broken Despair singing, joy can also be an emotion represented in music, or pure madness, or anger).
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2009 at 22:12
I agree with roger. Being more intricate, more emotion can actually be encoded in prog music. It's just harder to decipher, so that's why some feel cold.
Wintersun View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2009 at 23:11
From my experiences with people and their music, it is heavily based on the intricacy of their thought patterns, people with more complex thought patterns tend to like prog more than those with simpler. Not to say all Proggers are smart or intelligent, but they have tend to think more deeply on... whatever (basically they are often smarter than others but always). Which brings us the answer to the fact that i know many of us have thought, that is wondering why stupid people seem to like crappy music. Personally, I have a friend who is a bit of a... simpleton (disregarding the music aspect). He is a big fan of punk, ska (bleh!), alternative rock, etc. Basically if it isnt rap or country. I tried to get him into Prog Metal, got him Kamelot, Symphony X, Dream Theater, and Opeth. Naturally he liked all of them, but he never devoloped a love for it, nor a desire to expand in that direction and instead, continued his fond love for (imo) the crap he already listened to before hand. On a different topic, proggers who dont like other types of prog is more based on preference rather than musicality. Me, for example, I am a fan of Genesis, though early prog is not my first choice, and found Pain of Salvation not only boring, but horribly written but i dont deny the progressive sounds it features.

yeah... thats my two cents! Smile
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2009 at 23:12
lol, I was obviously exaggerating with what I said about Anderson LOL though I readily admit he leaves me cold more often than not. That being said, Heart of the Sunrise IS very compelling. Smile  But I was really taking a shot at those rock critics who celebrate his singing and then list a litany of complaints about the singing of the other Anderson, Lake and Gabriel.  If you don't like THEM, I wonder how you manage to convince yourself that Anderson is wonderful to listen to. Shocked
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2009 at 23:14
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

lol, I was obviously exaggerating with what I said about Anderson LOL though I readily admit he leaves me cold more often than not. That being said, Heart of the Sunrise IS very compelling. Smile  But I was really taking a shot at those rock critics who celebrate his singing and then list a litany of complaints about the singing of the other Anderson, Lake and Gabriel.  If you don't like THEM, I wonder how you manage to convince yourself that Anderson is wonderful to listen to. Shocked

Put on Soon!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2009 at 23:21
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

Put on Soon!

If that's a suggestion, then I love Relayer already, big Yes fan here, but in spite of and not because of Mr.Anderson...sorry, folks!  Except some glorious moments few and far between, his singing has never done much for me. 
Wizbat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 06:28
Jon Anderson emotionless!!!
You,re kidding right?.
My Band. www.limeshark.com

BASS It is big and it is clever
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 06:30
Originally posted by Wizbat Wizbat wrote:

You,re kidding right?.

Not at all.  I hope I am allowed to have a contrary opinion.  Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 06:34

You,re kidding right?.
Not at all.  I hope I am allowed to have a contrary opinion.  Wink

(Note my avatar, and the fact that Jon Anderson's "Song Of Seven" is my all time favourite song ever.)

JON ANDERSON IS NOT EMOTIONLESS.

Listen to this entire track and tell me he's "emotionless".

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 06:41
^^^

And what precisely is supposed to be the point of this exercise, may I ask?  I have said before that I am a huge Yes fan so I don't need 'conversion', no thank you.  It's a well considered opinion albeit one that is evidently at complete odds with yours.   I have never heard his solo albums but unless he became a different singer on those albums or something, I highly doubt I would suddenly perceive the highest emotional resonance in his singing..or something like that! 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 06:48

^^^And what precisely is supposed to be the point of this exercise, may I ask?  I have said before that I am a huge Yes fan so I don't need 'conversion', no thank you.  It's a well considered opinion albeit one that is evidently at complete odds with yours.   I have never heard his solo albums but unless he became a different singer on those albums or something, I highly doubt I would suddenly perceive the highest emotional resonance in his singing..or something like that! 

The point is to prove "Jon Anderson is Not emotionless"!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 06:53

And THAT is something that can be PROVED?  Didn't know the scientific study of the right side of the brain had progressed that far!  Shocked  LOL  Because I see nothing in my posts so far in this thread that could be construed as to suggest that Anderson's singing factually lacks emotion.  I was stating my perception but apparently the lack of "imo" before or after statements still leads to fans throwing fits.  Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 06:54

And THAT is something that can be PROVED?  Didn't know the scientific study of the right side of the brain had progressed that far!  Shocked  LOL  Because I see nothing in my posts so far in this thread that could be construed as to suggest that Anderson's singing factually lacks emotion.  I was stating my perception but apparently the lack of "imo" before or after statements still leads to fans throwing fits.  Wink

I'm not throwing a fit

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Just a massive difference of opinions...

I apologize for being rude and/or forcing my opinion on you

-Joel
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 06:56

I'm not throwing a fit

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Just a massive difference of opinions...

I apologize for being rude and/or forcing my opinion on you

-Joel

You were not rude but it did come across as if you were pushing me to come around to your opinion, so if you weren't, no issues!Smile
Wizbat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 06:57
You can have any opinion you like, but if you can,t hear the emotion in jons voice then it,s your loss.
I can,t help anymore than that, sorry.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 07:00

You can have any opinion you like, but if you can,t hear the emotion in jons voice then it,s your loss.
I can,t help anymore than that, sorry.

Yes, I can't and since it doesn't stop me enjoying Yes's albums, it's not a great loss from my point of view because I am also not the sort who would avoid a band simply because I can't relate to the vocalist because if I did, I would not be able to dig KC's Wetton phase which is among my all time favourites in prog but vocals-wise, amongst my least favourite.  And with that, I brace myself for a fresh assault on my views!  LOL
Wizbat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 07:16
I see no point in assaulting anyones views, it,s a free world.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 07:17

I see no point in assaulting anyones views, it,s a free world.

My dear fellow, this time I happened to be kidding and I hoped the emoticon would help make it clear...apparently not!  LOL
Wizbat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 07:20
I see no point in making a comment unless I mean it ,emoticon or not :-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 39>