Topic ClosedForty Years of Italian Progrock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 11:35
Hello Paul.

Here is the explanation, inside the new Hostsonaten CD FOC I read this:

Autumnsymphony is the 2nd part of the SeasonCycleSuite, a musical celebration of season's power in four parts :
part one: Summereve
part two: Autumnsymphony
part three: Winterthrough
Part four: Springsong

Any other questions Paul Wink ?                                 

For more interesting progrock, see also:

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 15 2009 at 11:45
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 17:09
Thanks Erik. Smile
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 09:33
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - December 16 2009 at 09:34
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 11:31

Thanks for your contribution to this thread Andrea, I just read your review and
                 come to the conclusion that Altare Thotemico sounds pretty eclectic and it is
                 music to discover, as usual in good progrock Wink 

Since I started to write about Italian progrock on Prog Archives since early 2004, I have to say that I am very pleasantly surprised by the huge amount of interesting new Italian progrock bands at this moment, from Il Bacio Delle Medusa, Pandora and Ubi Maior to The RedZen, SoulenginE, Proteo, VIII Strada, RanestRane and ... Altare Thotemico (their sound reminds me of Biglietto Per L'Inferno and New Trolls) Thumbs Up

Ciao

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 16 2009 at 16:36
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 11:32

Nice to see Chapter 4 has been published, I'll read it this night :)

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 11:47

Muchas gracias Memowakeman and have a good read this night, it's a pleasant
                           way to keep you awake and I am looking forward to your opinion Thumbs Up

Here's some ego-gratification Approve from Pandora by e-mail today:

"Hello Erik! Thanks for the info and our compliments for the wonderful article!! We're truly honored you've added us in the list!It's a pleasure to hear from you! How's everything? We hope that all is well! Does our music keep you company ;)? eheheheSpeaking of which, we would like to add that it's an honor for us to be in the Top 20...truly!Wishing you good music and, in case we don't hear from each other, HAPPY HOLIDAYS from all Pandora's members (even if it's a tad early :P)

Claudio (Pandora)"

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 16 2009 at 16:38
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2009 at 15:31

Here's a preview of the forthcoming chapters:

5)    Reunions Of Legendary And Popular Bands In The Last Decade
Featuring: Banco, Il Balletto Di Bronzo, Campo Di Marte, Delirium, Latte E Miele, New Trolls, Le Orme, Osanna, PFM.

Live Tasting

6)    Compilations And  Special Projects:

Featuring:

(THE) 7 SAMURAI – The Ultimate Epic – Various Artists (2007)

Here is another project by Colossus and Musea, this time featuring three bands (including two Italian bands), each with an ‘epic’ composition between 20 and 30 minutes.

Bands: CAP and Tapobran

CANOSSA - Rock Opera (2006)

- This is an Italian prog project by Mangala Vallis member Gigi Cavalli Cocchi, he is both the brainchild as the producer. The bands are: Mangala Vallis, Arcanoise, Trama Sonora, Sequencer, Type, Oltremare and Master Experience.

FAFNIR – Various Artists (1993)

- In 1993 the Italian progrock label Kaliphonia released this interesting compilation CD featuring many lesser known and unknown Italian progrock bands: Fancy Fluid, CAP, Marcello Capra, Deus Ex Machina, Clarion (ex-Zauber member), New Credo, Michele Tale Di Bella, H2O, Myros, Ars Antiqua and Max Oil.

COLOSSUS PROJECT – The Empire & The Rebellion – Various Artists (2008)

- Colossus Project is an Italian musical project featuring four members and a wide range of guest musicians, including ‘big names’ Keiko Kumagai (Ars Nova) and Fred Schendel (Glass Hammer) and fellow Italians Cristiano Roversi (Moongarden, Submarine Silence and recently The Watch) and Joe La Viola (Malaavia).

DANTE’S INFERNO – The Divine Comedy – Part 1 (2008)

- Here’s another stunning progrock project by Finnish progrock magazine Colossus and French progrock label Musea entitled Dante’s Inferno – The Divine Comedy – Part 1:

- Nuova Era, Count, Wicked Minds, Garamond, Contrappunto Project, CAP, Armalite, Corte Aulica.

GIALLO! – One Suite For The Murderer – Various Artists (2009) :

The bands: Alfio Costa, Dark Session, Leviathan, Floating State.

TUONEN TYTAR 2 – A Tribute To Finnish Progressive Rock Of The 70’s – Various Artists (2008):

Featuring:

- Christiano Riversi (Moongarden/Submarine Silence) + Il Fauno Di Marmo

7)    DVD’s

Featuring:

- Ainur, Banco, Jumbo, Malibran, Mangala Vallis, Le Orme, Un Biglietto Per L’Inferno Tribute Concert, PFM, Wicked Minds.

Children of Húrin 

Ciao

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2009 at 10:46

Looking forward to it Erik, no doubt in the new year now? Thumbs Up

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2009 at 14:53

I think so Paul, it's really a lot of work for the Background Magazine team and, as on PA, all  
              members are non paid volunteers with their relationships, families, work and hobbies Wacko ...

But first I will publish my reviews about Altare Thotemico and the new Ainur (2-CD concept
             story) and Conqueror (mini-CD), what an incredible fertile progrock scene in Italy nowadays Thumbs Up

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 18 2009 at 14:53
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2009 at 16:14

I would like to publish this review I wrote today, multo grazie Domizia Thumbs Up :

ALTARE THOTEMICO – Same

- On their website I read about this new Italian band: “Altare Thotemico are an unconventional band on the Italian music scene. We all have different backgrounds, we’re different ages, we come from different towns, but we’re sailing through alien worlds on the same ship that crosses the ocean of Life. The kind of music we play? Maybe Progressive, or Psychedelic, Rock, Jazz, Blues perhaps, or something else… who knows! What’s for sure… this is where Poetry meets Music and this blend turns into something incredibly powerful, pure ENERGY! Whatever happens, this is our key word, our motto, and we believe ourselves to be carriers of an unrestrainable virus called “Soul”! Laying pictorial matter on a canvas with no preset subject at all… waving your brush or fingers among the colours … in a sort of Action Painting… this is what Altare Thotemico are!”. Well, to me this sounded very promising so I was very curious to Altare Thotemico their musical translation of these fine words.

- The music on Thotemico their eponymous debut album is travelling back in time, what an incredible ‘vintage’ sound: Classic Italian Prog like Biglietto Per L’Inferno, Metamorfosi and Alphataurus come to my mind but also progrock pioneers like The Doors and Pink Floyd. In fact Thotemico their influences are obviously but the band has succeeded to add an own flavour by blending several styles (from rock and jazz to psychedelia) and presenting strong musical ideas. To me most of the nine compositions sound very pleasant and compelling with a tasteful colouring by the guitar, keyboards and flute, backed by a dynamic rhythm-section and topped by the very distinctive vocals of Gianni Venturi: pretty theatrical, sometimes ‘over the top’ (like in L’Interessante Vita Del Topo) but at other moments adding an extra dimension, reminding me of Christian Decamps, singer of the French legend Ange. My highlights are Lo Sciamento (from jazzy with Fender Rhodes electric piano to psychedelic with Ray Manzarek inspired organ work), Demon (church organ intro, then a very catchy heavy guitar riff and strong vocals), Computer Organico (a kind of jam session with again strong hints of Ray Manzarek) and La Mente Mia (varied instrumentation with excellent slide guitar solo, evoking Robby Krieger … from The Doors, one of my favourite bands).

- What a very pleasant tribute to the Classic Prog era!

For a review about the new Hostsonaten (+ Ranest Rane) see:

Ciao

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 19 2009 at 06:32
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2009 at 09:19

Here's an addition to my Forty Years Italian Progrock article, Chapter New bands:

N.y.X. – Down In Shadows

- This is a project that was born in Italian city Turin in the beginning of the New Millennium. After a period dedicated to the electric experimentation, the duo formed by Walter F. (vox, guitars, bass and devices) and Danilo A. “Pannico” (drums, percussions, piano, organ, marimba and devices) has published a first work in 2005, an approach to the song form integrating progressive and psychedelic influences. The homonymous EP got very good reviews from all the international qualified press and let the two musicians to improve their musical experience with many live and studio collaborations, particularly in France. Down In Shadows is the new N.y.X’s album, a co-production with the famous Italian label Electromantic Music (led by Beppe Crovella, known from Italian Classic Prog legend Arti & Mestieri): it is a concept, based on the pure tradition of the experimental music, telling a modern story of betrayal and loneliness. The main character, a complex and disturbed personality, suffers a “progressive” degeneracy “until the end of time”, with ineluctable consequences. On Down In Shadows we can enjoy collaborations of David Jackson, legendary saxophone player of the historical progrock band Van der Graaf Generator (and, also, Peter Hammill, Peter Gabriel and Osanna) and Trey Gunn, fantastic touch guitar player in the most recent “incarnations” of the avant-garde band for excellence: King Crimson (and, also, Robert Fripp solo, David Sylvian and John Paul Jones).

- As you can read in the introduction, the 7 tracks on Down In Shadows contain experimental music with a lot of variety, layered with sounds, generated by loops, devices and a wide range of instruments: from dreamy with soaring Farfisa organ, cello and a high pitched female voice (C18H21N03) to mellow with acoustic rhythm guitar and Bowie-like vocals (Day After Day and o.y.o – on your own) and a heavy and ominous sound with a propulsive rhythm-section, a wall of fiery and biting guitars and screamy saxophone work or marimba (Down In Shadows I + II). The guitars have an important role on this album, especially Trey Gunn his Warr guitar sound adds a special flavour to the music, blended with intricate soundscapes and a subtle use of varied instruments.

- This is not easy progressive rock to digest but King Crimson fans and those progheads who like adventurous music should check out this promising new Italian formation.

AINUR – Lay Of Leithan (Lays Of Beleriand Part II)

- Myths, legends, fairytales and SF are often inspiration for musicians in progressive rock.  One of the most popular subjects is the work of famous author J.H.R. Tolkien, this double CD by Italian formation Ainur is another example in an endless row. On Lay Of Leithan the band has decided to do it on a large scale: 3 storytellers,12 different vocalists, a symphonic orchestra and many musicians on a varied instrumentation.

- The music on the 25 tracks is a dynamic blend of classical and rock in which the climates change frequently: classical orchestrations in the titletrack, teanging acoustic guitar, violin, harp and a sensitive electric guitar solo in Coming To Doriath, slide guitar and bombastic Hammond organ in Daeron’s Betrayal, a mid-tempo with solos on violin, piano, acoustic guitar and organ in Hirilorn, propulsive guitar riffs, fat Minimoog synthesizer flights, powerful vocals and  a fiery guiar solo in Towards Nargothrond, from mellow with acoustic guitar and violin to an exciting accellaration with heavy guitar riffs, fat Minimoog runs, brass and high pitches female vocals in The Hound Of Valinor, sensational Hammond and Minimoog with propulsive guitar riffs in Carcharoth, an exciting blend of classical and rock with violins and flashy Minimoog flights in Hell’s Awakening and from tender Grand piano and dreamy vocals to fat guitar riffs, strong flute play and a dynamic rhythm-section. The epic final composition (almost 20 minutes) starts promising with lots of vocalists, wonderful Grand piano and moving electric guitar but after 9 minutes there’s complete silence until the final half minute, then we hear narration and it’s over, a bit disappointing musical idea to let the proghead listen to such a long silence!

- Although at some moments my attention slips a bit away (due to the fact that some climates tend to sound a bit too similar), I enjoyed this 2-CD because of the tension between the mellow parts with classical instruments and the heavy and bombastic parts and the exciting work on guitar and vintage keyboards like the Hammond organ and Minimoog synthesizer.

Ciao

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2009 at 09:52
Very interesting reviews Erik. Ainur are actually already on my cd's wanted list and I already have the last 2 Hostsonaten albums and can share in your enthusiasm for them. N.y.X sound well worth checking out which I'll do in the near future.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2009 at 10:05

Thanks Paul, I wish you could be at our Progwalhalla evening today,
                              I will flood the longing visitors with new Italian progrock, I am very
                              curious to their opinion about the bands I reviewed on this page,
                              especially Altare Thotemico, Ainur and Hostsonaten Thumbs Up 

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2009 at 10:09
Sounds like a fun night Erik, are you holding it in your house? Hope you've got plenty of beer in and don't forget the salted nuts. Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2009 at 10:53

We have Marillion beer Wink :

domizia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2009 at 13:49
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I would like to publish this review I wrote today, multo grazie Domizia Thumbs Up :

- incredible ‘vintage’ sound: Classic Italian Prog like Biglietto Per L’Inferno, Metamorfosi and Alphataurus 

topped by the very distinctive vocals of Gianni Venturi: pretty theatrical, sometimes ‘over the top’ (like in L’Interessante Vita Del Topo) but at other moments adding an extra dimension

...My highlights are Lo Sciamento (from jazzy with Fender Rhodes electric piano to psychedelic with Ray Manzarek inspired organ work), Demon (church organ intro, then a very catchy heavy guitar riff and strong vocals), Computer Organico (a kind of jam session with again strong hints of Ray Manzarek) and La Mente Mia (varied instrumentation with excellent slide guitar solo, evoking Robby Krieger … from The Doors, one of my favourite bands).

Ciao

You're most welcome, Erik! In fact you wrote almost the same that I thought when I first listened to this band, I immediately thought "Biglietto" and "Metamorfosi".
Agree completely also about Gianni's peculiar style, he's really theatrical and odd at tmes but it's most impressive especially live.
My personal highlight is Demon, also that slide solo you mention is very vintage but greatTongue
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2009 at 12:36

I got this today on MySpace:

Ciao Erik, volevamo ringraziarti per la splendida recensione,leggerla ci ha dato nuovi incredibili stimoli e forte consapevolezza delle nostre possibilita',ora continueremo a suonare e comporre sapendo che in giro per il mondo qualcuno di importante apprezza il nostro lavoro. Ancora grazie.
Davide  a nome di Altare Thotemico

Capito Wink , multo grazie, ciao Thumbs Up

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2009 at 14:14
Hi Erik, how did the Prowalhalla evening go? Did you get a good resonse to the Italian bands?

Another satisfied band I see Smile

Edited by Nightfly - December 21 2009 at 14:19
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2009 at 15:45

Hello Paul.

The Progwalhalla evening was great and late Sleepy ... but it was good to notice that the Italian section (Hostsonaten, Altare Thotemico, N.x.Y., Ainur) got a positive response, not by everybody but that's due to the huge difference in sound these bands present.
At MySpace I have built up a good contact with Italian labels, bands and musicians, I am pleased with the very warm and enthousiastic reactions on my reviews in this PA forum and on Progwalhalla, this turns out to be a perfect progrock connection LOL !
By the way (off topic), I just got an e-mail that my 20 dollars have reached Japan, soon I will receive the Ars Nova Seventh Hell DVD-R, something to look forward to Thumbs Up

domizia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 02:14
Oh, you got it directly from Japan? Good moveStar.
It's cool that you hold those listenings, I wish we were closer, I'd bring the Conqueror new demoTongue. Over here it's getting so hard to get together and do such things, no one ever has time. 
I was trying to get acquainted to the new Sinestesia album, for instance, and we didn't even find time to go and get it at their label's. Cry 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>