Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs 70's prog a nostalgia thing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 15:11
The nostalgia i was thinking was when you listen to a old album you have liked  very much and when you listen to it 20 years later, you don't have the same excitement. Sometimes you want to recreate the good memories you had and you fail, naturally because the past is beyond. We don't always live this nostalgia, and for some people never. That's why my post was a question. It's because i like the 70's music that i like new bands that have a 70's influence. I also like some music that have no link to the 70's. It's my way to live something other than that nostalgia. But then again, maybe in 10 years, i will have the nostalgia of the 90's music...

Edited by rdtprog - April 27 2010 at 15:13
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 16:01
Quote I don't think that any of those are up to classic-era Prog standards, and I was actually thinking of Marillion when they got started particularly (and my faves are not the best known from that era -- guess Magma would be the most popular of what I really like from that time) -- I find Fish's theatricality rather excessive, and I'd say the same of Gabriel whom he clearly imitated (and I suppose Gabriel imitated Arthur Brown to an extent). 

The difference is that I never had anything resembling a definition or a standard for any "prog standards", because there are none. We're all simply placing some imaginary standards on the things that we like, and they do not have a good enough, or strong enough quotidian value or study to be considered anything more than ... a "favorite".

Fish's theatricality is not excessive. In fact, I would almost say that Gabriel's is actually quite subdued and disguised in an imaginary costume that had you fooled too! Specially when compared to the theater of the times and the fact that a lot of this came from the school of "the angry young men" who acting was to be more ferocious and violent both in physicality (American way) or in wording (English way). And if you check the theater scene in Paris and Berlin you will also find almost the same thing, with the German scene already taking on the existentialist thing to an extreme (Peter Handke and Peter Weiss), which was right after Murder in the Cathedral, which is TS Elliot!

And France and Germany had many vocal precedents for the acting style even going back to Jacques Brel and even before him the better known Kurt Weill and Bertold Brecht, whose theater style of acting and approach is a major process for today's acting schools. To hear Arthur Brown scream "I'm the God of Hellfire and I bring you Fire" ... is no different than hearing Paul Scofield scream ... I am the king here ... and was a major important expression that took out a lot of stoic versions of theater in the London stage. Check out Osborne, Pinter and many others. Pinter is subdued big time, and all the talk is in the smoke rings by comparison ... and this stuff is well known, discussed and quite vibrant and not invisible to many of these rock people. And it doesn't take an idiot kid to say ... I wanna do that with a rock band, and you might have a Fish on stage! And he wasn't the only one!

The part that is out of line is this ... making an assumption that some standards exist and they do not take in consideration the musician themselves and their time and place. Very little ... VERY LITTLE of what was done in what we call "prog" was accidental, and most of it went to the krautrock scene where they really mastered improvisation, only to never do it again because of the business side of the music stuff ... there are a couple left ... Klaus Schulze and Manuel Gottsching, but that is about it. Both maybe a bit formulaic now but a breath of fresh air compared to most stuff out there!

In general, if you take a look at a lot of the incidents and the life around the music, some things will make a lot more sense to you. Specially Epitath!  I just find it sad that some folks here will call this "nostalgia" ... just like WW2 and the Wall and many other things were "illusions" or "nostalgia". ... for crying out loud ... europe had just come off the brutality of ww2 and eastern europe had its massive issues with more war this and that ... and then there was VietNam and the IRA .... and you don't expect an artist to stand up and say something about it?

Fish, is the equivalent of Meat Loaf in America. He is an actor! ... but you would rather talk about him as some rock'n'roll singer that you don't care for. At least respect the man for his choice and work. And his ART! Peter Gabriel by comparison forgot all the acting and styling and went for hit music ... so let's consider now who the "actor" really is! Not to mention that you just suggested that prog is not worth it with the comment since Peter went commercial! And prog will never be commercial since it can't be "labelled".

Edited by moshkito - April 27 2010 at 16:29
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 20:26
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

The nostalgia i was thinking was when you listen to a old album you have liked  very much and when you listen to it 20 years later, you don't have the same excitement. Sometimes you want to recreate the good memories you had and you fail, naturally because the past is beyond. We don't always live this nostalgia, and for some people never. That's why my post was a question. It's because i like the 70's music that i like new bands that have a 70's influence. I also like some music that have no link to the 70's. It's my way to live something other than that nostalgia. But then again, maybe in 10 years, i will have the nostalgia of the 90's music...

But I don't like a lot of the music I liked 10-15 years back  - I am too young to talk about 20 years back LOL - and what I still like, I like only because I still find it enjoyable and fresh. Honestly, I don't even have vivid memories of when and how I discovered said albums/songs.   I notice that even those who have defended neo prog didn't make claims that these bands were more adventurous than their predecessors.  I suppose that's the problem...it's a bit hard to listen to 20-minuters without the adventure to keep you hooked. Wink  Liking or not liking is entirely a matter of preference but it's certainly possible that people expect some level of adventurousness from prog which, rightly or not, they don't find to the same extent in neo prog.  Prog metal is easily accounted for....many people who got into prog back then may not have got into 80s metal, that is, Exodus, Slayer, Kreator, NOT Motley Crue or Scorpions.  It's not at all surprising that they would find it difficult to take in the metal influences.  That again is not really on account of nostalgia.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 20:31
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

The difference is that I never had anything resembling a definition or a standard for any "prog standards", because there are none. We're all simply placing some imaginary standards on the things that we like, and they do not have a good enough, or strong enough quotidian value or study to be considered anything more than ... a "favorite".

I think he meant that he doesn't think they are as good as  70s prog classics.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 20:31
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Well that happens all to often, like with that Cactus compilation I bought.  I remember liking them at the time, but there's not too much that I like about them any longer.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 21:55
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I think he meant that he doesn't think they are as good as  70s prog classics.

Basically. I made a mistake in the way I expressed it as I tend to add in bits here and there and remove others, but am too lazy to read my posts before responding.  I just lost a very long post in response to Moshkito that took me a long time to compose but lost it.  I have a feeling it would have been snipped down to a few lines for the response anyway (and probably not even my most lovingly crafted lines LOL).

I don't find those particular acts to be as good as classic prog acts, or indeed any acts I like from the classic prog era.  There are many post-classic era acts that I do think at least as good as the big name classic prog acts (or better for my tastes).

In the case of early Marillion, the particular Prog standard would be Genesis.  I don't think Genesis really sophisticated, I enjoy it, but I do feel that rather than Marillion playing a part in making Prog more sophisticated it actually simplified it (word choice could be better, but I think you know what I mean).  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but had I been exposed to Marillion as my first prog band rather than, I think it was Gryphon as a kid, I don't think it would have had the same impact.

As for theatrical music, I don't really have a problem with that as I enjoy musicals, opera, and a lot of theatrical music from around the world.

Edited by Logan - April 27 2010 at 21:56
Cleansoul View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 00:11
If there were no YES, GENESIS, FLOYD, ELP there would not be a Marillion or IQ, or new prog, for whom would have influence them?
Ultra Som
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 00:22
Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

I'd say bands like Radiohead, Flaming Lips and Porcupine Tree are worthy successors to King Crimson, Yes and Pink Floyd.

Yes. So would I! Clap
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Devonsidhe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 01:00
Originally posted by Cleansoul Cleansoul wrote:

If there were no YES, GENESIS, FLOYD, ELP there would not be a Marillion or IQ, or new prog, for whom would have influence them?

Even if the name Marillion (for example) and its members had stayed the same in an alternative existence, the music would have been different.  It is always interesting to wonder things like what would have Roger Waters have written if his childhood had been during the roaring twenties instead of post-WWII?  Each creative output is a result of the individual(s) past experience, knowledge, shared input on common project and probably many more elements.  Change one element and you change everything.  Makes me appreciate the fact that we do have Dark Side of the Moon, etc.
Even a man who stumbles around in the dark will influence those he does not see.
Progist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 06:36
I think it varies a bit for me. The '70's stuff does have a nostalgia value to it, but then so does the '80's stuff. Mostly, I prefer the classic prog, but there are still modern bands that I like a lot. The idea that we like old prog because of nostalgia is interesting, I don't feel that way about it predominantly, but know a lot of guys who do. In the mid-'70's prog faded away for a while, whilst the musicians moved off to try new things, and other scenes came and went; many stayed away from prog afeter that and new bands emerged in the 80's. I'm just grateful that there are still muso's out there who are prepared to take on the challenge, and keep coming up with intelligent, energising new music. Also, I don't reckon that if the Gabriel Genesis (for example) were still together, they would'nt be making albums as good as Foxtrot, or TLLDOB after 35 years. They would be like the Strolling Bones (no thanks). We need new blood...
b4usleep View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 08:32
70's music is still alive. So you can not talk about nostalgia.

By the way Nostalgia isn't what it used to be:)

Edited by b4usleep - April 28 2010 at 08:38
Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper, your deafness a shout.
Devonsidhe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 08:36
Originally posted by Progist Progist wrote:

I don't reckon that if the Gabriel Genesis (for example) were still together, they would'nt be making albums as good as Foxtrot, or TLLDOB after 35 years. They would be like the Strolling Bones (no thanks). We need new blood...

Brings an interesting question: Is prog a young man's (or woman's) game?

Is there a classic prog act from the 70s making music as good as they were or is the best behind them?  Is the nostalgia the 70s bands of today rather than the music of their past?  In the field of writing, it is not uncommon for a writer to keep improving with age and some of their best work is later on in their career.  Shouldn't prog be no different?  Is it happening?
Even a man who stumbles around in the dark will influence those he does not see.
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 09:06
Originally posted by Devonsidhe Devonsidhe wrote:

Originally posted by Progist Progist wrote:

I don't reckon that if the Gabriel Genesis (for example) were still together, they would'nt be making albums as good as Foxtrot, or TLLDOB after 35 years. They would be like the Strolling Bones (no thanks). We need new blood...

Brings an interesting question: Is prog a young man's (or woman's) game?

Is there a classic prog act from the 70s making music as good as they were or is the best behind them?  Is the nostalgia the 70s bands of today rather than the music of their past?  In the field of writing, it is not uncommon for a writer to keep improving with age and some of their best work is later on in their career.  Shouldn't prog be no different?  Is it happening?

I thought Power to Believe was very damn good.

It does make me enthusiastic for KC's next album, when and if it ever comes out, I hope Levin will be involved.
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 09:33
Anyway, I think it's safe to assume that a great majority of this forum is people in their 40s-60s. Right?

I'm 23 so I didn't grow up in this era, I've only been a prog fan for about 5 years.

But I do feel nostalgiac about it, because a lot of prog rock, while it sounds very foreign and new to me, it also reminds me of my childhood because it reminds me of 8 bit and 16 bit video game music.

That sounds weird but it's true, I think it's because prog/krautrock and early video game music does share some striking similarites. The use of synths, complex rhythms and time signatures and inspiration form classical music.
shockedjazz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 10:34
First of all is not the same character  the one who says im the king that the god of hell fire that brings you !Fire!- the first one is a political issue the other archetypical , qualitative ( and funny by the way).
Second nostalgia for seventies is not a gloomy feeling is a "In-War" feeling.
Not the same formula, another movement is required to set the scene again. And the seventies acts as a  realized but lost ideal.
IMO.
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 11:18
Regarding neo prog, I'm not sold on it, most of it sounds really safe and sedated, not to mention derivative and lacks the adventure and audacity of 70s prog. Prog has gotten better starting with the 90s though.

Marillion lost me after Misplaced Childhood, is that really prog? It just sounds like generic 80s arena rock to me, I don't get it. It's funny that Genesis and Yes get so much hate for going "pop" because I'd take "That's All"  and "Owner of a Lonely Heart" over "Kayleigh".
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 11:28
On whether prog is a young man's game, not only new KC, but I also look forward to any new material from Rush because I consider Snakes and Arrows one of their best albums, though not THE best.  I think it's more a question of whether the composer is young at heart rather than the years the bands have been on the road.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 14:23
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

On whether prog is a young man's game, not only new KC, but I also look forward to any new material from Rush because I consider Snakes and Arrows one of their best albums, though not THE best.  I think it's more a question of whether the composer is young at heart rather than the years the bands have been on the road.

I think King Crimson is a  exception of a prog band from the 70's that have made some very good music in the 80's and today, maybe because their style is more experimental than the symphonic genre. But as for Rush, i don't think they have done some better music after Hold Your Fire.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2010 at 04:25

This morning I went to work with "The Piper at the gates of Dawn" in my car stereo. I can feel nostalgia thinking to myself at the time when I discovered that music. As well as perfumes, it's demonstrated that sounds and music are used by our brains to fix situations and feelings in our memories. But THIS IS NOT THE REASON WHY I PLAYED THAT DISC!!! I Played it because I LIKE IT.

Show me anything really good from the 80's and anyhting really "new" after the 90's onwards if you can. Mostly Autumn, Transatlantic (all Neal Morse's bands) , Ayreon (all Lucassen's bands) are excellent , but they are not adding much to what was created from scratch in the 70's (and also in the 60's). If my generation, and those who followed mine are still fascinated by music 40 or 50 years old, it can't be question of nostalgia. Why Yes, Pink Floyd and ELP have still so many fans even within new generations?

If we don't consider Marillion, the only good things appeared in the 80's were made by artists already fully active in the 70's.
American Khatru View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2010 at 11:35
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Show me anything really good from the 80's...
Kate Bush, The Dreaming (might even be a little "new" too).
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

... and anyhting really "new" after the 90's onwards if you can
An awful lot from that time on flat out stinks.  But I do want to throw something in here that I've been noticing, and not as a jab at you Oct4. 

There has been a lot of clamor and demand in this thread for New.  New, new, new.  Let's come on.  How often are things really new?  Only at rare times.  The 'classic' music we celebrate was from such a time; fantastic, good for those musicians and their music, they have my envy.  But personally I think this is leading to a false notion, the idea that Therefore Only New Is Good.  And this is tandem out to tyranny really.  New?, at all times?, puhlease.  Thin Lizzie, just one example, for at least their first three albums were great, kicking *ss tightly on those records, but they weren't New.  If they had constantly shot for New they would have undermined their whole thing. 

And the same can be said for many bands, singers, composers, artists in general.  You find something and generally stick to that theme, sometimes for life, not out of lack of imagination but because that theme is your Master Theme, the thing that concerns your very existence and on which you have something to say, something to add (because much has been said about whatever it is already!).  Gentle Giant were incredible; that group made such a challenging music, full of serious music influences as well as wacky ideas, but which still retained at least an air of pop listen-ability.  That was their artistic choice and style, and that is what they executed for eight whole studio albums over their first seven years!  Call their initial sound and approach New if you like.  But they did not change and become New yet again over and over once they first found their sound.  They just built on it.  This is obvious, and it is what most artists worth the name do, but the obvious is getting lost in all this clamor.

Why must my spell-checker continually underline the word "prog"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>