Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe beatles vs the rolling stones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Poll Question: which one do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
132 [84.62%]
24 [15.38%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 14:09
let me tell you something right here : The beatles and The rolling Stones Are Two of the worst bands ever
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 14:23
Originally posted by sydbarrett2010 sydbarrett2010 wrote:

let me tell you something right here : The beatles and The rolling Stones Are Two of the worst bands ever
LOL
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 14:35

I'm getting dangerous readings of edgy cool guy here
I know you're trolling, but I there are people who actually believe this

Edited by Slaughternalia - August 10 2011 at 14:45
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
sydbarrett2010 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 03:13
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

i really believe in that
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 04:33
Easy - The Beatles every time. The Stones are at best ordinary.
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 04:55
Every rock or pop band that has ever existed owes it all to the Beatles - and that includes the Rolling Stones.
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 07:16

Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

i really believe in that

Name something "better" then.

Within seconds, people on this forum will be telling you how they were influenced by The Beatles. LOL

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 07:55
I can't believe some of the posts on this thread, I mean Ok loads of folks probably just can't stomach the Stones and I do respect your aesthetic sensibilities but to dismiss one of the most successful bands of all time during their peak years of say 1968 to 1973 is tantamount to denying rock and roll has any vestige of merit whatsoever. Does 'good' rock and roll have to encompass more than three chords to touch and move people in a profound way? When did emotive become arithmetic? Great rock/pop music is visceral so it talks to and is answered by the body (Keef said it best  - music for the neck down) Just take a step back and listen to yourselves and you will hear the very reasons that all those lazy stereotypes are hurled with contemptuous ease at Proggers to your eternal dismay i.e. complexity trumps simplicity, precedence nullifies originality (you want Zep to re-write the immutable gravity of blues harmonies?) other worldly is better than this worldly?

Apologies, I've had a bad day and work and am even grumpier than usual (bit still sincere)Embarrassed

I love the Beatles and the Stones but am not naive enough to compare them as belonging to a shared or competing aesthetic.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 09:38
You are forgiven. . And yes, basic rock n'roll like The Rolling Stones' can't move me in any profound way.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 10:04
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I but to dismiss one of the most successful bands of all time during their peak years of say 1968 to 1973 is tantamount to denying rock and roll has any vestige of merit whatsoever. Does 'good' rock and roll have to encompass more than three chords to touch and move people in a profound way? 

Embarrassed  Truthfully, most regular, straight up rock music doesn't do much emotionally for me. Yes, it packs in a lot of energy and is thoroughly enjoyable but I differentiate the entertaining from the emotional.  Emotional is that which lingers and haunts.  The quintessence of rock has more to do with energy than emotion.  I'd argue the peak years of mid 60s to mid 70s produced great artists who happened to play rock rather than rock by itself accounting for the emotional resonance of such bands.

When did emotive become arithmetic? Great rock/pop music is visceral so it talks to and is answered by the body (Keef said it best  - music for the neck down)

Yes, and doesn't work for me really. I don't have to shake a leg to know a song touched me. 

Just take a step back and listen to yourselves and you will hear the very reasons that all those lazy stereotypes are hurled with contemptuous ease at Proggers to your eternal dismay i.e. complexity trumps simplicity, precedence nullifies originality (you want Zep to re-write the immutable gravity of blues harmonies?) other worldly is better than this worldly? 

Ok, I agree with much of this but simplicity by itself doesn't have a lot going for it and not any more than complexity by itself.  Crafting something special is above and beyond these considerations. 

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 10:36
For me, rock has gained a lot of emotionality in the decades after the 60s. That rock was dead in terms of emotion for me. The Rolling Stones couldn't be less moving if they want to. Newer rock has been able to move me more than older one (with exceptions of course).
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 11:44
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

For me, rock has gained a lot of emotionality in the decades after the 60s. That rock was dead in terms of emotion for me. The Rolling Stones couldn't be less moving if they want to. Newer rock has been able to move me more than older one (with exceptions of course).

I would personally not want to generalize on that, it all depends on the bands one compares.  Beatles have truckloads of awesome songs that way like Because, Across the Universe, In My Life and many more.  On the other hand, Grace surely challenges many a famed rock album for sheer emotional intensity. And another thing, when I refer to the period of the 60s through to the mid 70s as rock, I tend to include prog as a part of that.

Edited by rogerthat - August 11 2011 at 11:44
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 00:34

Exactly how are the the worst?

There are two ways of criticsing anything.

1. You do not like it. This is an opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

2. Say something is good, great, worst, bad etc needs to be justified. It's a judgment and needs evidence. Opinion is not evidence. How are song then moves yu or not takes us to 1. (above).

Imagine if someone said that you (anyone not just Syd Barett2010) is the worst ever. Surely that would require some backing up. Then so do statements like this on anyone else - The Beatles and The Stones in this case.
So. What makes them the worst. Or the best.

Objectivty.

Please.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 03:56
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I but to dismiss one of the most successful bands of all time during their peak years of say 1968 to 1973 is tantamount to denying rock and roll has any vestige of merit whatsoever. Does 'good' rock and roll have to encompass more than three chords to touch and move people in a profound way? 

Embarrassed  Truthfully, most regular, straight up rock music doesn't do much emotionally for me. Yes, it packs in a lot of energy and is thoroughly enjoyable but I differentiate the entertaining from the emotional.  Emotional is that which lingers and haunts.  The quintessence of rock has more to do with energy than emotion.  I'd argue the peak years of mid 60s to mid 70s produced great artists who happened to play rock rather than rock by itself accounting for the emotional resonance of such bands.

When did emotive become arithmetic? Great rock/pop music is visceral so it talks to and is answered by the body (Keef said it best  - music for the neck down)

Yes, and doesn't work for me really. I don't have to shake a leg to know a song touched me. 

Just take a step back and listen to yourselves and you will hear the very reasons that all those lazy stereotypes are hurled with contemptuous ease at Proggers to your eternal dismay i.e. complexity trumps simplicity, precedence nullifies originality (you want Zep to re-write the immutable gravity of blues harmonies?) other worldly is better than this worldly? 

Ok, I agree with much of this but simplicity by itself doesn't have a lot going for it and not any more than complexity by itself.  Crafting something special is above and beyond these considerations. 

I agree with both of you. The Stones don't need to be very complex at all to achieve their goal, which is to get people dancing (if we're generalising here). A band like Yes obviously had a goal that was more difficult to achieve when they wrote Tales From Topographic Oceans, not that their goal is any less valid. A complex, spiritual goal requires complex music to get across. It's not better, it's just different. 

I think that explains why some music is complex and some music is simple, but it doesn't explain why either are good or bad..... that's all down to execution. If The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway was a 12-bar boogie woogie, would it be as touching, as serious, or as good? Would Let It Bleed have been any better if every song on it was fifteen minutes long and full of synthesizers and awkward time signatures? Obviously not.

I have been touched by three-chord songs and three-hundred chord songs....... and neither work just with my head or just with my heart (or just with my feet, for that matter!).

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 04:06
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Would Let It Bleed have been any better if every song on it was fifteen minutes long and full of synthesizers and awkward time signatures? Obviously not.

I don't think length of a composition or the specific time sigs used are at all as important as they are sometimes made out to be. I am usually more interested in how a drastic change in the musical landscape via change of time sig or a key modulation manages to sound so intuitive in some compositions and so jarring in some others.  Long pieces, in the right hands, give more scope to do interesting things compositionally and that's all; length without intrigue is an elephant. I'd take You Never Give Me Your Money over the whole Moonmadness album, but that's Beatles for you. LOL

Edited by rogerthat - August 12 2011 at 04:12
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 04:17
Originally posted by Ruby900 Ruby900 wrote:

Easy - The Beatles every time. The Stones are at best ordinary.
Thumbs Up
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 05:39

Would Let It Bleed have been any better if every song on it was fifteen minutes long and full of synthesizers and awkward time signatures? Obviously not.

I don't think length of a composition or the specific time sigs used are at all as important as they are sometimes made out to be. I am usually more interested in how a drastic change in the musical landscape via change of time sig or a key modulation manages to sound so intuitive in some compositions and so jarring in some others.  Long pieces, in the right hands, give more scope to do interesting things compositionally and that's all; length without intrigue is an elephant. I'd take You Never Give Me Your Money over the whole Moonmadness album, but that's Beatles for you. LOL

A Day in the Life = Best 5 minutes of my life!

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 10:49
Also, The Rolling Stones FAIL at melody. The Beatles have been almost unsurpassed In the rock world for melody.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 11:38

Clap   Such an incredible composition!  I wonder that even THAT could apparently not convince Barking Weasel that Beatles are more than just a silly boyband. Wink
Clap
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 14:11

Clap   Such an incredible composition!  I wonder that even THAT could apparently not convince Barking Weasel that Beatles are more than just a silly boyband. Wink
Clap

That song should also convince any sceptic that The Beatles was a really progressive band. The very first!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>