Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHomeless People

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Poll Question: Do you give money to homeless people?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [43.14%]
29 [56.86%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 02:43
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Never...f**k 'em.

Payment in kind?
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 03:49

No vote from me. Even my own left hand doesn't need to know what my right hand is doing - or not doing.

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 07:47
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Maybe your inner city is different than mine, and maybe you were lucky.

Folks don't know how much you are or aren't carrying until they roll you. How much you're carrying has nothing to do with it.

There are many many different reasons for being homeless. But the typical homeless person that beg in a busy downtown is extremely different from the people walking around where I work.

Exactly, so I'm not sure why you think handing money out to the homeless is dangerous.

I've been mugged plenty of times and none of them for any non-racially related reason.

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 08:50
I'm a student... but if I had money to spare, I'd put it into a retirement fund :(
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 10:10
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Maybe your inner city is different than mine, and maybe you were lucky.

Folks don't know how much you are or aren't carrying until they roll you. How much you're carrying has nothing to do with it.

There are many many different reasons for being homeless. But the typical homeless person that beg in a busy downtown is extremely different from the people walking around where I work.

Exactly, so I'm not sure why you think handing money out to the homeless is dangerous.

I've been mugged plenty of times and none of them for any non-racially related reason.

Overall, you're probably right that if you're going to get mugged you've been pegged long before you pull out any money. And there's a difference between pulling your wallet out and just grabbing some change or small bill from your pocket. Probably a function of the old delusion of control, that if you're careful, blah blah blah, you're safe.

We have alot of really strung out people around here of all races, many of which hang around the hospital or the store I mentioned. Some are homeless and some are not.

I'd still rather spend $20 on food and hand it out than give money. Do I do it? Not since college.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 10:12
I certainly agree with that statement. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 12:50
Most of the beggers in Paris are Romanian gypsys (or other Romanians), so I know that I'm not doing any kind of good by giving them something. LOL

And in general I'm not giving money to beggers on the street, but sometimes I fall in the trap of people who look decent and have a story to tell ("I lost my train and I don't have where to sleep tonight", "my arm is broken, here's the certificate, and I can't work for a month", etc), only to discover that this is their "day job", when I see them doing the same thing long time after I "helped" them. LOL
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 12:56
One woman got $5 out of me. She told me this story of how she was trying to get back to New Jersey and that she just needed money for a room for the night, as her bus departed the next day.

I saw this same woman not a month later, and she tried to feed me the exact same story.  Stern Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 13:33
I used to think all of those stories were complete BS. Then one day I'm stuck in NYC and need $7.00 for the train back to Philly =/

In general though, yeah you see those same people doing the same story every wek.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 13:36
I rarely give to homeless people for a couple of reasons.
1) I make very little and can barely afford to pay my own rent.
2) I don't think the panhandlers on the street are usually the ones who need/deserve the help the most. I would rather give to a responsible charitable organization that will actually do some real good. If I give five bucks to a guy on the street and he uses it to buy drugs are alcohol, that's his busines but not something I want to contribute to.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 13:37
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I used to think all of those stories were complete BS. Then one day I'm stuck in NYC and need $7.00 for the train back to Philly =/

In general though, yeah you see those same people doing the same story every wek.

It wasn't the only time I was conned either.  One guy downtown told his sob story and begged me for a ride home, insisting he didn't live far.  He kept asking me to go farther and farther.  His f**king house was nearly 20 miles out of town.  Angry

I sh*t you not, a few months later, this same guy comes up to me at a gas station (not in downtown) and tells me the same bullsh*t and that he needs a ride home.

Turns out, he's pretty well known for this story around town (my parents even gave the guy a ride once).  Harmless, but a terrible liar.

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 13:40
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

One woman got $5 out of me. She told me this story of how she was trying to get back to New Jersey and that she just needed money for a room for the night, as her bus departed the next day.

I saw this same woman not a month later, and she tried to feed me the exact same story.  Stern Smile

Yeah, we encountered this in college.  Someone would hit one of my roommates up with a sob story and then three weeks later I'd get the same story.  The only person I thought was genuine (and helped out) was a woman who actually asked for food, not money.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 13:51
When my brother and his wife had their wedding in May 2009, we took the train from Orlando, FL to Fayetteville, NC.  The first thing that happened after we got off the train was some fat, loud guy came up to me, shook my hand, told me he thought I was a nice looking guy and could I give him a few bucks.  I declined.  He cursed at me.

After we loaded the luggage into my mom's car, he approached me again.  When I declined to give him money once more, he hurled more abuse at me, told me what a greedy f**king punk I was and f**k me and all that.  He gets into his truck with his buddy.  Some fat white girl comes out of the Subway restaurant, screaming profanities (I haven't the slightest clue why) but she got in the bed of the truck, saying she got enough for some sh*t and they just needed to go on back to the hotel.

"I'm home," I said to myself. 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 14:15
These people don't have two pennies to rub together, yet they're fat.  God Bless America.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 14:48
When I visited the States some guy asked me for 'a dollar as he was saving up for a Condom' I of course wondered why he was asking money from me so he could by a 'johnny' ho ho.  My friend I was with explained he meant a Condominium a flat! Ah I see and I gave him a dollar for the laugh.

Now I don't ever.  I occasionally buy 'The Big Issue'.  However, not just cash, as most often it will go on booze or drugs.  I know people argue thats what we spend our money on but most of these people are alcoholics or addicts of some description.
Help me I'm falling!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2011 at 22:04
I mean like why don't they just like go out and by a home you know?

I carry around a stack of large cardboard boxes to hand out. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 01 2011 at 22:05
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 06:04
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

You could offer free subscriptions to Better Crates and Cartons.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 15:59
No, but that's for complicated reasons: in the Paris subway, when I go to work, there's always, ALWAYS at least one people a day begging in the wagon. Then, you meet other beggars in the hallways.
Outside, you still can meet other beggars.

My problem is: who should I give money to?
 - The little kids, maybe exploited by their parents/families (some of them are even trained to the art of pickpockets)?
 - The buskers (moreover, in Paris, we have "official metrobuskers"!!!) ?
 - The young twenty-something people who should/could be helped by their families or friends (what happened in their life?)
 - the crazies, drunkards, drug-addicts...?

If I start giving money at a subway station, I should give everyday, at everyone.... And if I don't have spare change anymore, what do I do? I won't give 10 euros!..... Or should I?

Sometimes, I develop some horrible way of thinking: I can understand why some immigrants are under the poverty line and can't live in decent conditions. But, when seeing young French people (I should even say French-French people, not a hint of arabian, african or asian origin) begging, I start saying: "What have you done - or NOT done to live in poverty and misery? Have you run away because of some stupid caprice? Come on, you STINK the middle-class!"
But that's not... very intelligent: I don't know what happened to them. Too much debts to pay? Kicked out of home because they were homosexual, politically opposed to their families....? Abused by the family?
I don't know and I'd better give, no matter the situation.

I should give - but to who?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 18:15

Oh yeah.  Let's have some fun at the expense of the beggars.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 18:20

Oh yeah.  Let's have some fun at the expense of the beggars.

Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>