Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEloy Discovery Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 01:41
Never considered Eloy to be 'flashy' although they are very techical which is no bad thing given the brand of music they make with grandiose sci fi themes.
 I was initially drawn to their music mainly because of the heavy use of synths. Its hard to find prog bands that integrate synths to the extent that Eloy do. ELP started to do it on Brain Salad Surgery and then basically stopped. Other bands just gave up making prog while electronic music developed outside of prog. Tangerine Dream brought synths back to prog with the line up that made Force Majeure but then carried on making pure electronic music after that (which I love btw). Eloy really took up the baton for me with Colours, Planets and Time To Turn although after that they went for a more AOR style although with synths still high in the sound. As said earlier Metromania is very good if a slight step down. More recently Visionary is a respectable effort for a band that has been around a long time and the synths are thankfully still there!
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 08:19
Excellent presentation of the band first of all! Grats! Thumbs Up
Now, about Eloy eh? hmmmm...
My 'relationship' with Eloy goes about 27 years back. When I was a wild Heavy Metal teenager, and one fine day I listened to 'Power & the Passion'. I was speechless! After recovering from the shock, I bought 'Dawn', which until today it's my most bloved album. Then 'Ocean' folowed, and then 4-5 albums alltogether!
For me Eloy is the greatest German band in this music area we call Progressive-rock, Space Rock, you name it!
Their best and most productive period (again IMHB), is from the release of 'Inside' until 'Eloy live'. (1973-1978)
'Silent Cries' and 'Colors' are good albums, but they involve too many electronic sounds for my likings...
'Planets' and 'Time to Turn' are nothing special, but you can find a few nice songs inside. But then...
Then they started going downhill...  'Performance' 'Metromania' and 'Ra' are really not good albums...
And that was the time I stopped following them.
(If you want you can read a review I wrote a few days ago for 'Dawn' in the PA's main page, when you search for the bands and the records... You will see how passionate I was especially with 'Dawn' and why...)
After Eloy, I tried to find more German bands that will be good as them, but allthough I found some really interesting ones, (Jane, Triumvirat, Novalis etc) none could reach Eloy.
   If any of you wants info on albums, songs etc etc I would be happy to provide... (Hoping that I will remember them of course! Tongue)

If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 05:17
Originally posted by The Jester The Jester wrote:

Excellent presentation of the band first of all! Grats! Thumbs Up
Now, about Eloy eh? hmmmm...
My 'relationship' with Eloy goes about 27 years back. When I was a wild Heavy Metal teenager, and one fine day I listened to 'Power & the Passion'. I was speechless! After recovering from the shock, I bought 'Dawn', which until today it's my most bloved album. Then 'Ocean' folowed, and then 4-5 albums alltogether!
For me Eloy is the greatest German band in this music area we call Progressive-rock, Space Rock, you name it!
Their best and most productive period (again IMHB), is from the release of 'Inside' until 'Eloy live'. (1973-1978)
'Silent Cries' and 'Colors' are good albums, but they involve too many electronic sounds for my likings...
'Planets' and 'Time to Turn' are nothing special, but you can find a few nice songs inside. But then...
Then they started going downhill...  'Performance' 'Metromania' and 'Ra' are really not good albums...
And that was the time I stopped following them.
(If you want you can read a review I wrote a few days ago for 'Dawn' in the PA's main page, when you search for the bands and the records... You will see how passionate I was especially with 'Dawn' and why...)
After Eloy, I tried to find more German bands that will be good as them, but allthough I found some really interesting ones, (Jane, Triumvirat, Novalis etc) none could reach Eloy.
   If any of you wants info on albums, songs etc etc I would be happy to provide... (Hoping that I will remember them of course! Tongue)

Thanks!

Nice post. I agree that Dawn is a masterpiece, and I have not heard  'Performance' 'Metromania' and 'Ra'  but heard they were low points for Eloy. Hopefully there's something worth salvaging on them as i love their other albums.

Post yr reviews here if you like and we can all access them.

Cheers
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 07:07
Well, how you can post a record review here?
Just open a new post and then copy/paste from the review?

You are most welcome!

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 22:27

yeah, pretty much that's it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2012 at 01:36
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

yeah, pretty much that's it.
there is a 'permalink' function in the reviews section that can be used followed by copying and pasting the address.
For instance

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 06:38
^^^ yes thats one way to do it. Still listening to Eloy - but awaiting the Metromania album... not expecting a masterpiece but as long as it is is a decent effort.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 08:26
I tried to post here the link so that anybody that is interest can read all the reviews on 'Dawn', but it doesn't happen.
Dunno why though. It writes error...
So I am posting my review on the album.
Well, is not exactly a review...
I'm writting more or less my feelings about this album...
Anyway, if you are not bored I guess you can take a look...
Here it is:

I just read all the previous reviews. Good reviews everybody! I read about the band's problems with their manager, about how Frank Bornemman started again the band from scratch, I also read many things about how the instruments are been played in this record, about the intro with the storm, etc etc... One thing I didn't read though. How you FEEL when you listen to this record! Because music (and especially Prog) is not just plain analysis of the songs and the instruments. Prog is feelings! Prog is pictures!

Forgive me, but I'm not a musician. I have been to musician's companies when they were analysing records and songs and I wanted to die of boredom! (Listening for example a specific 10 seconds part of a solo for 5 times and then talking about it for half hour!) For me music is something different. I love Progressive Rock because it makes me feel things. It makes me want to close my eyes, sit back and let my mind travel. And that is something this record does very well. It travels your mind!

Another very important parameter is the time you listen a record for the first time. For example many of the records that I adore, are the ones I really grew up with. And 'Dawn' is one of them. First it happened to listen 'Power & Passion', and it was a great album! After listened this record for 50 times within a month, I found 'Dawn'. And that was it! I stuck there! After it was 'Ocean'. Another very good album. But it was not 'Dawn'. I have spend over one decade worshiping this record! I first bought it on vinyl. Then it was seriously damaged from the many hours of playing, so I bought it again. After a while I found a German copy (I think the original one), with the gatefold and the lyrics, so I bought it for the 3rd time! But the next year it was the cd's explosion. You know... Clear sound and all the rubbish they were telling us back then. 'Dawn' it was my first cd. And I don't remember now why, but I bought it again a second time in cd. Total: 5 times I bought this record. Am I insane? Maybe!

Another very important thing I believe is Frank Bornemman's funny English accent. I'm not English or American or Canadian etc, so for me his accent is not so weird. Yes, I understand how funny it is, but I'm used to it and you believe it or not, I like it! If one day Eloy release an album that someone will sing with a great English accent, it will be terrible for me!

Anyway... Trying to become a little objective here, I really believe that Eloy is maybe the greatest German Prog-Rock band, and this record is one of their best works. If I had to propose one more record to someone, that would be 'Eloy Live'. Because is a live record that contains songs from their best 3 albums, Power & Passion, Dawn, & Ocean, in very good versions. As for the rating? I will put 5 stars on this one!

I hope I didn't make you yawn from boredom... Thank you for reading this... :)

You are most welcome!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 23:19
^^^ good review about the feelings taken from Eloy - I agree that prog is about feelings, and I find it very difficult at times to put it into words.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 04:06
Finally got Metromania

My review is here

Metromania by ELOY album cover

2 stars 'Metromania' is the sound of Eloy in 1984 and as a mega fan of the group I was not impressed with this direction of the band. They sound like they were swallowed by 80s synthesizers and spat out into a commercial radio station. It begins immediately with retro 80s synth, on 'Escape To The Heights', a jumpy upbeat song that grows on me very quickly. The sound is very different of course from the 70s Eloy but it is nowhere as innovative. I enjoy the vocals on this one though with that strong melody. The keyboards are too chimey and sound like Depeche Mode or Gary Numan of the era, yet Eloy are capable of more complex passages of instrumentation.

Seeds Of Creation continues the synthetic drum sounds and crystalline 80s sound and then there are some female chorus voices to contend with. I still like Frank Bornemann's vocals that feel like an old friend I have become so accustomed to them. The section that says 'stand back stand back' sounds familiar in the melody and I am not sure where I have heard it. The violin sounds are nice on this track and it is certainly not a bad song, one of the better ones on offer here. All Life Is One begins with piano flourishes, and that 80s synth drum sound resounds that is annoying these days. The synths and vocoder spacey effects are quite effective, but the sound is worse than the 80s Genesis pap. It drags on interminably with a crawling tempo and bright synths inundating the scape. By the time the lead guitar breaks through I have lost interest. The sound is so tinny and no low end bass just a treble drenched metronomic synth drum

The Stranger has a sharper sound, cool guitar chugging, and the melody chimes nicely. The icey synths dominate but I like the way the guitar answers in angry distortion blasts. A definite highlight on this mediocre collection, and the muscular lead break helps to empower the sterile production sound. Follow The Light is a lengthy song (9:37) so I was expecting some instrumental freakouts and jamming as in the golden era of Eloy. It begins with a synth sound that sounds like Gary Numan entered the studio and took over. I love Numan, a progenitor of synth and electronica, but I didn't expect Eloy to ever sound like this. The voice is mixed under the loud synths and it has an odd sequencer layer, with a spacey texture. It gets into Hawkwind territory with more space rock atmospheres, then it diverts into a cool groove with pulsing bass and drum. The female voices are as bad as when Numan used them on 'The Fury' or 'Metal Rhythm', the worst of his 80s era. It seemed all music of the mid 80s had to survive this kitsch style and chiming cheesy music does not help either. Somehow this still has a nice effect on the album and becomes another of the better songs, thanks to it's cool melodic anthemic nature that is maddeningly infectious. Nightriders is also long (9:39) and has a plodding tempo and synth drums throughout. The lead break is a major asset but it does not last long. This feels like Genesis' Invisible Touch era, that was interminable, but I actually love the rhythm on this and it could have rocked if the production could get their hands on the bass knob instead of the treble. That engineer should be lynched for this mess.

Metromania closes the album with another blast of commercial 80s sounds and is not one that I can recommend. It has a sequenced synth but awful keyboards wreck the song, sounding worse than 80s Yes or Genesis.

Overall this is a new direction for Eloy after a wonderful 70s period where masterpieces abounded. It feels completely dated with that unmistakeable dreadful 80s sound with crystal clear synthetic production; everything is hospital white sterile and engineered with treble that pierces the ears. It needs more grunt and power and creative juices, this music does not have enough power to blow the fluff off a peanut. Eloy play it very safe with this album and I am not used to that from these innovative masters. It is far more recommended to listen to their first 7 albums that are veritable master class releases showcasing the very best of Eloy. Do not make this album a starting point as it might put you off for life. 2 and a half stars at most, but to warn off those wanting Eloy at their best I am giving this 2.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - November 03 2012 at 05:20
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 05:22
On the bright side

Here are reviews on the two compilations available i love so much:

This is the first volume of the 2 volume set that goes through the Eloy highlights in chronological order. Of course I have all the material on the original albums as a bonafide Eloy addict, but I love hearing it jammed together on this one CD, similar to volume 2. It is fantastic music and I love listening to this on repeat often on any given day. The three albums represented are all masterpieces so I can’t argue with any of the tracks, in fact they are well chosen and are a must for those wishing to dip their toes into Eloy’s back catalogue. It doesn’t get much better than this music. 

From the brilliant “Inside” are ‘Future City, sounding more like Jethro Tull in the intro until the cool riff locks in, and  ‘The Light from Deep Darkness’ has some challenging musicianship. From the stunning album “Floating” is my favourite Eloy track, the one that led me to them, ‘Castle in the Air’; sheer genius musicianship with killer riffs and incredible melodic rock that never fails to lock into my brain. Also we have ‘Madhouse’, a heavier Eloy on show here with extended lead soloing and drumming. Then from “Power and the Passion” are the classics, ‘Love Over Six Centuries; ‘Mutiny’, ‘The Bells of Notre Dame’, ‘Daybreak; the 1970 single, and ‘Journey into 1358’.

Overall this compilation captures a heavier side of Eloy but it is wonderful to hear for those who like creative riffs mixed with beautiful ambience. 4 stars for the brilliant music throughout but the original albums are definitely worth getting hold of if you can afford it.

A nice cheap pick up with the best of three of Eloy’s most impressive albums is a great starter kit for those new to Eloy. The three albums represented are masterpieces in their own right and it is odd to hear them out of context jammed onto one album, but it is no less a pleasant experience as the songs hold up on every listen. As soon as that killer riff begins on Between the times, from “Dawn”, I am hooked. The vocals of Frank Bournemann are like an old friend as I have grown so used to them and he is in his element here.

After the four wonderful “Dawn” tracks we move to the incredible “Ocean” album. The song represented on this compilation is ‘Decay of the logos’. My favourite track from “Dawn” is this choice with a grand intro, pulsing bass, and incredible atmospheres including howling wind. The terrific singing backs up a powerful structure of melodic themes and soloing. The main melody is well executed and again grows on me with every listen.

The next album represented is the brilliant “Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes” with the dreamy ‘Astral entrance / Master of sensation’ and then followed by the masterpiece suite ‘The apocalypse’, all 14:53 of it! It is absolutely mesmirising music, the best of Eloy undoubtedly. This music moves me so much and stirs my soul on every listen. I can’t get enough of it, the music is all brilliant, so this compilation deserves 4 stars in my opinion. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 07:49
Ah some gems on youtube

They are so cool live

otto pankrock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 20:21
Wow, that's harsh. I guess it maybe a question of timing. I bought Metromania about the time it came out and it's been one of my favourite albums ever since. It was only upon talking to someone else much younger who remarked, "that's sooooo 80's" that made me take another look. (I'm listening to it now). Yes, it is of it's time, the drumming especially. However I still find it a very powerfull album and not sterile at all. Although, on the other hand I can still see where you're coming from. Does that make sense? I wonder if I were to hear that album for the first time now, if I would still have the same opinion.
  I first heard Planets only a few years ago and was saddly disappointed. First track was ok then it degenerated into cheesy strings. The irony is that I find it's companion Time to Turn a near masterpiece.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 01:37
I quite like Metromania as well. It was a different approach but still had plenty to enjoy.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 01:43
I definately go for `Metromania' as well! OK, so `Nightriders' is a little basic and rubbish, but I find the cold and metallic production of the album just heightens the `sci-fi' trademark sound of the band!

Yeah, they recorded plenty of better albums, but Eloy was mostly pretty consistent....and `Metromania' is certainly much better than either `Destination' or the most recent tired dud `Visionary'!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - November 06 2012 at 01:44
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 01:48
I would actually put in on a par with Visionary (3 stars). Both are okay but neither are in the best 5 or 6 ELoy albums
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 01:57
I found `Visionary' hugely underwhelming! For many years they went out on a total high-point of their career with `Ocean 2', which was a stunning album that played to all their strengths.

But for them to come back with a bunch of mostly tired and lazy tracks that were unenergetic rehashes of endless better tracks from previous albums just didn't cut it for me. So there were one or two decent tracks, the odd cool solo, but it just sounded so rushed, under-developed and half finished. Even Frank's vocals sounded like they were recorded in one take.

I really hope we get another album from them if they're planning on making a go of this comeback supported by so much goodwill and affection for the band. But `VIsionary' is just a case of `Must Try Harder', I suppose?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 02:24
Ah fellows I love Eloy but cruel to be kind,  Metromania was the dud for me so far.

Heres a review of a better album!!!!!

Eloy Live by ELOY album cover

4 stars 'Eloy Live' is a magnificent live performance of one of my favourite bands that fits snugly onto one CD of almost 80 minutes. The musicians are Eloy in their prime; Klaus-Peter Matziol on bass, J'rgen Rosenthal on drums, Detlev Schmidtchen on keyboards, and the incomparable vocalist, guitarist extraordinaire Frank Bornemannn. The concert is dynamic and vibrant musically throughout and features some of their greatest triumphs beginning with the almighty epic 'Poseidon's Creation' and moving gradually to the classic 'Incarnation Of Logos' with that astonishing melody that locks in towards the mid section, both masterpieces from 'Ocean'. The vocals sound clear and unrestrained and the production is excellent on this 1978 live album.

The break gives Bornemann a chance to speak to his adoring audience in German, though for too long without a translation. This leads inexorably to 'The Sun-song' from 'Dawn' that is a popular song judging from the audience reaction. Immediately I remember the melody as it builds to the beautiful solo passage. Bornemann sounds so fresh and clear on vocals, as good as you would want in a live setting. 'The Dance In Doubt And Fear' follows also from 'Dawn', building with cymbal splashes and a heartbeat percussion that the crowd can clap to. The synths are tranquil golden swathes of beauty, along the waves of bass and guitar. Next is a longer track with 'Mutiny' at almost 10 minutes, a good choice from 'Power and the Passion'. I like the drums on this and the really powerful keyboards over the dreamy guitar phrases. After this the band launch into 'Gliding Into Light And Knowledge' that returns to 'Dawn'. This concert performance showcases how brilliant the musicians were, every track is spell binding virtuoso prog at the highest calibre.

'Inside' follows, the title track from one of their greatest masterpieces, and this is followed by the stunning beauty of 'Ocean''s 'Atlantis' Agony At June 5th - 8498, 13 p.m. Gregorian Earthtime', that clocks a mammoth 20:54. It is an incredible finale and caps off one of the most treasured concerts from Eloy. I wish it had been filmed but listening to this is still a compelling experience. All of the gems are here and this setlist is outstanding. I loved this live album and have no problems awarding it 4 shining stars.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 02:27
Ocean 2: The Answer     1998

I just downloaded off itunes and its great so far......

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 02:36
Ooh, Ocean 2, how I love thee, let me count the ways! :)

Atomic, wait until you get to the floating extended keyboard finale of `Reflections From The Spheres Beyond' - total bliss!!

That album is so good it's probably why I'm quite critical of the recent `Visionary' - just doesn't even slightly measure up!

Oh, and if you didn't think much of `Metromania', we'll be interested to know what you think of `Ra'! I personally love it, but many hate how it's full of 80s drum machines! That will be the real test!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>