10 [18.18%]
24 [43.64%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 10:54
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It's a common fallacy that the food you eat directly is directly attributed to the "ailment" - high sugar intake does not cause diabetes, high cholesterol intake does not result in high cholesterol levels, salt does not result in high blood pressure, carbohydrates do not make you fat, etc...

WTF. carbohydrates do make you fat. I'm a fatass, take it from me. I have eaten a lot of carbs in my life.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 10:58
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

It's a common fallacy that the food you eat directly is directly attributed to the "ailment" - high sugar intake does not cause diabetes, high cholesterol intake does not result in high cholesterol levels, salt does not result in high blood pressure, carbohydrates do not make you fat, etc...

WTF. carbohydrates do make you fat. I'm a fatass, take it from me. I have eaten a lot of carbs in my life.
Then you eat too much - eating too much of practically anything will make you fat. Eating carbs does not make you fat, eating too many carbs makes you fat.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 11:00
^word!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 11:06

Gaaahhh!!! Bacon is not 100% LDL, it is not PURE LDL - it is 31 mg in 28300mg of "meat" - it is 0.1% LDL

What I meant is that doesn't have HDL Cholesterol

The problem is that you eat the bacon fried, and that increases even more the LDL (Remember, even vegetable oil saturates when fried).

That's the problem that USA has on children obesity, they eat a lot of LDL  cholesterol saturated food (Burgers, bacon fried eggs, etc).

Iván

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 11:09
Parents let their children eat that stuff as early as age 2!!!! Children should not be be allowed to eat anything like that until they're in first grade or something, and even then, it should be very moderate. I don't care if it's homemade for from MACdonalds.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 11:09
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Gaaahhh!!! Bacon is not 100% LDL, it is not PURE LDL - it is 31 mg in 28300mg of "meat" - it is 0.1% LDL

The problem is that you eat the bacon fried, 

Do you? It isn't necessary. A huge amount of people grill it. If I do fry I use a scant amount of oil and then I use kitchen tissue to drain the excess.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 11:11
I know most restaurants around here cook their bacon in the oven. Don't know about fast food places though.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 11:26
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Parents let their children eat that stuff as early as age 2!!!! Children should not be be allowed to eat anything like that until they're in first grade or something, and even then, it should be very moderate. I don't care if it's homemade for from MACdonalds.

My daughter ate fatback before she was a year old.  Tongue
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 12:30

The problem is that you eat the bacon fried, and that increases even more the LDL (Remember, even vegetable oil saturates when fried).

That's the problem that USA has on children obesity, they eat a lot of LDL  cholesterol saturated food (Burgers, bacon fried eggs, etc).

Iván

Please Iván, I know you mean well and have all the right intentions but this misinformation just proliferates fallacies that, while they do no harm and can have a positive benefits, are still not correct.

Heating unsaturated fats at very high temperatures does change their molecular structure - what they do not do is become saturated - to saturate fat you need to add more hydrogen to the chain of carbon atoms - heat alone does not do this.

Eating high cholesterol foods does not cause obesity and does not result in high cholesterol levels. Eating too much anything causes obesity, obesity is caused by excessive calorie consumption - whether that is saturated or unsaturated fat, protein, sugars, starches - whatever, eat too many calories and you body tries to store the excess as fat. Obesity causes many problems, high cholesterol levels is one of them, diabetes is another - the causal direction is that obesity induces high cholesterol, not that high cholesterol causes obesity.

Edited by Dean - June 14 2012 at 12:31
What?
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 12:37

Then you eat too much - eating too much of practically anything will make you fat. Eating carbs does not make you fat, eating too many carbs makes you fat.

I remember when I was in college I worked at this snack shop that had burgers and philly cheesesteaks and such. And every single night I'd see these guys from the cross country team come in and eat a 2nd dinner that would rival most people's first dinners, and they were as skinny as rails.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 12:40
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

My daughter ate fatback before she was a year old.  Tongue

I just meant on a regular basis.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 12:43
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

I remember when I was in college I worked at this snack shop that had burgers and philly cheesesteaks and such. And every single night I'd see these guys from the cross country team come in and eat a 2nd dinner that would rival most people's first dinners, and they were as skinny as rails.
Meat and cheese do not contain carbohydrates. The carbs are in the bun, the fries and the sugars in the tomato sauce...
What?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 13:40

Iván

Please Iván, I know you mean well and have all the right intentions but this misinformation just proliferates fallacies that, while they do no harm and can have a positive benefits, are still not correct.

Heating unsaturated fats at very high temperatures does change their molecular structure - what they do not do is become saturated - to saturate fat you need to add more hydrogen to the chain of carbon atoms - heat alone does not do this.

Eating high cholesterol foods does not cause obesity and does not result in high cholesterol levels. Eating too much anything causes obesity, obesity is caused by excessive calorie consumption - whether that is saturated or unsaturated fat, protein, sugars, starches - whatever, eat too many calories and you body tries to store the excess as fat. Obesity causes many problems, high cholesterol levels is one of them, diabetes is another - the causal direction is that obesity induces high cholesterol, not that high cholesterol causes obesity.

Well, lets see

Quote . On average, one strip of bacon has about 5g of pure fat with 45 calories, negligible carbohydrates, and 3g of protein. It also includes 9mg of cholesterol. This may not seem like a lot, but this one strip only weighs 8g. For 1 oz. of bacon, the cholesterol values rises to about 32mg, 10 percent of the daily recommendation for dietary cholesterol of 300mg per day.

8  grams of bacon (One strip) has 9 Mg of cholesterol..OK

This means 1,12 Mgms of BAD cholesterol for each gram of bacon OK?

With 10 strips of bacon, you have eaten your 1/3 day ration of cholesterol...OK?

This: 

or this:

Have at least 10 times the level of bad cholesterol for a week

That's what I said.

Now, you are right, the vegetable oil doesn't saturate when fried, but if it reaches the smoke point, is also very harmful.

Iván

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 13:50

....Have at least 10 times the level of bad cholesterol for a week

That's what I said.
and I said: 

An ounce of bacon has 31mg of cholesterol - that 'wich has 1 pound of bacon - ergo total 496mg ... still higher than the recommended daily allowance, but 5 times less than your figure.
That sandwich contains 1 lb (453.6g) of bacon [that is the actual value, not a random guess at the number of strips] - which is 2 times your daily allowance, not 10 times your weekly allowance.

OK?

Now, you are right, the vegetable oil doesn't saturate when fried, but if it reaches the smoke point, is also very harmful.

Iván
Yes- as I said, the molecular structure changes, the chemical formula does not.
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 13:52
A heated argument about bacon?  Must be Prog Archives.  LOL
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 16:45

Meat and cheese do not contain carbohydrates. The carbs are in the bun, the fries and the sugars in the tomato sauce...

Cheese, like all dairy products do contain carbohydrates. Mind you the protein/carb ratio is high. Remember milk's purpose is to feed the offspring of whatever creature it comes from and requires some sort of sugar.
Meat, except liver and processed meats, are carb free. (muscle=protein and fat)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 16:54
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Cheese, like all dairy products do contain carbohydrates. Mind you the protein/carb ratio is high. Remember milk's purpose is to feed the offspring of whatever creature it comes from and requires some sort of sugar.
Meat, except liver and processed meats, are carb free. (muscle=protein and fat)
I stand corrected - cheese is low-carb, not zero-carb - but in relation to a philly cheesesteaks the percentage carbs added by the cheese is miniscule compared to the bun it's wrapped in.
What?
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 17:06
^What is not miniscule is my sudden desire for a philly cheesesteak.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 17:08
I'm so hungry right now. 
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 17:24

But he read it on the internet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>