Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 08:59
For me, Who's Next is synonymous with Who's Greatest Hits. "Baba 'O Riley" is a great anthem song. I would consider it and "Won't Get Fooled Again" kinda proggy even.  Big smile
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2010 at 09:05

on a non musical note.i know Roger Daltrey has done some acting,has anyone seen him in anything other than "Mcvicar"?

I Remember him in an Episode of "Sliders" playing a soldier in one of the Alternate Earths they slide to.

any other roles?
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 08:00
I've just reviewed The Who Sell Out, Dude et al -- you may want to check out my take on this classic from the best darned rock and roll band ever! Smile
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 08:20
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

I've just reviewed The Who Sell Out, Dude et al -- you may want to check out my take on this classic from the best darned rock and roll band ever! Smile

I didn't know Led Zeppelin did an album with that name! Shocked Wink
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 16:36

Edited by ko - April 27 2010 at 16:52
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 13:33
Originally posted by dude dude wrote:

on a non musical note.i know Roger Daltrey has done some acting,has anyone seen him in anything other than "Mcvicar"?

I Remember him in an Episode of "Sliders" playing a soldier in one of the Alternate Earths they slide to.

any other roles?

He appeared in a number of episodes of Highlander, the TV series. Also, he has made regular appearances in British dramas. The Bill comes to mind immediately, but thdere are others.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 22:29
Relay, 1973
rod65 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:39
Quadrophenia has been my favourite album since the second time I listened to it, almost 30 years ago (on first listening, six months earlier, I hated it), and in terms of musicianship (especially Entwistle and Moon), it is a milestone. I've always found it interesting that Daltry prefers Quad to Tommy while Townsend's position is the opposite. While Tommy is certainly more foundational and thus more important historically, I think Quad is more mature musically and vocally.

Any thoughts on the two?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:47
Just started reading this.  Had no idea Roger was such a hard-ass.  I thought Pete was the ruffian, but Roger liked to fight.  While the first drummer claimed Roger punched Pete all the time, Towhshend claims Daltrey did not hit him until 1974. LOL 

http://www.thewho.info/photogallery/photo25649/BIGO-Who.jpg

ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 14:27
Originally posted by rod65 rod65 wrote:

Quadrophenia has been my favourite album since the second time I listened to it, almost 30 years ago (on first listening, six months earlier, I hated it), and in terms of musicianship (especially Entwistle and Moon), it is a milestone. I've always found it interesting that Daltry prefers Quad to Tommy while Townsend's position is the opposite. While Tommy is certainly more foundational and thus more important historically, I think Quad is more mature musically and vocally.

I dont know which source you get, but i have been reading in those  interviews with Townshend where he said that his favs are Quadrophenia and By Numbers. Same with Entwistle (RIP). Also, Townshend said so many times that he wasn't satisfied with Tommy as original album, so because of that he was rewriting Tommy almost completly for Tommy the film music - which,(imo) is miles above better, much more funky,  and, say, more "WHO", although there are many other (great) artists,  than original 1969 album with that lack of electric guitar. I really dont know what Daltrey said, though.  Well, Quad songs are very demanding vocally, Daltrey's vocal range is amazing on Quad.; on By Numbers too, for example How Many Friends song.

Edited by ko - May 18 2010 at 14:31
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 14:30
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Just started reading this.  Had no idea Roger was such a hard-ass.  I thought Pete was the ruffian, but Roger liked to fight.  While the first drummer claimed Roger punched Pete all the time, Towhshend claims Daltrey did not hit him until 1974. LOL 

http://www.thewho.info/photogallery/photo25649/BIGO-Who.jpg

Daltrey floored Townsend and knocked him out completely - he had to leave the band for a while until they realised they couldn't do without him.

A hard man, from a hard area of London, Daltrey was a true working class kid. Townsend, in contrast, was what they used to call an art school to**er (much as I admire himWinkLOL)
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 15:02
Yeah Steve, it was interesting for me to read about the different neighborhoods around London where they came from....Acton was one....I thing Ealing....Shepherd Bush......I wonder how similar or different these areas are today from the places the Who members describe.  

ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 01:45
Malve87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 05:32

Clap
Clap
]
Progist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2010 at 04:00
I love the Who, one of the best rock bands to come out of the UK IMO. The Who Sell Out is one of my faves, also the track A Quick One While He's Away, which may well be the first pop 'Concept' track? Have seen them live many years ago, and have gotta say that they were very impressive, sadly they were just 'post-moon' when I saw them, which is one of my big regrets! Cry
rod65 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2010 at 10:01
Originally posted by Progist Progist wrote:

I love the Who, one of the best rock bands to come out of the UK IMO. The Who Sell Out is one of my faves, also the track A Quick One While He's Away, which may well be the first pop 'Concept' track? Have seen them live many years ago, and have gotta say that they were very impressive, sadly they were just 'post-moon' when I saw them, which is one of my big regrets! Cry

Check out the live version of "A Quick One While He's Away" on the re-release of Live at Leeds. Pete refers to the piece, if I recall correctly, as "Tommy's parents."
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 00:30
Originally posted by rod65 rod65 wrote:

Originally posted by Progist Progist wrote:

Check out the live version of "A Quick One While He's Away" on the re-release of Live at Leeds. Pete refers to the piece, if I recall correctly, as "Tommy's parents."
You guys HAVE to see the band do AQOWHA  on the "Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus" DVD -- it blows the album version away, and it's a very young Who captured live on camera in top flight! Cool

An AMAZING, electrifying performance -- there are rumours that the Stones delayed release of the video for years because the Who totally upstaged them. I quite like the Stones stuff on there, BTW. it's classic, with a young Mick chewing up the camera (an an obviously wasted, and marginalized Brian Jones). PLUS, there's a vintage Tull (ian in hairy "bum" mode, with that coat) and John Lennon with Clapton as his guitarist.

In short, he DVD is a must for fans of the era! Clap

Edited by Peter - June 14 2010 at 00:32
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 05:07
I love Live at Leeds
Quadrophenia is great too
Nothing beats Who's Next - quite proggy too.

ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 06:21

RIP JAE

Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 09:04
Formidable opponent - I love it. I love this song. I love Who's Next. I love The Who.

Edited by Ronnie Pilgrim - June 26 2010 at 09:04
"The pointy birds are pointy pointy
Anoint my head anointy nointy"
Steve Martin The Man With Two Brains
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>