Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUK election televised debate!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Poll Question: Who do you think came out the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [75.00%]
1 [8.33%]
2 [16.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 11:45
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Dean- You saying there is no such thing as the British Class System or that there are only two classes - those that own the means of production and those that don't ? 

I still think that our 'Class System' has a lot to do with what school Daddy sent you to - oh and the fact we still have a Royal Family Unhappy 
Well, obviously there is such a thing as a British class system, but it's a well screwed archaic system rooted in the Industrial Revolution that is not reflected in the political system that is supposed to represent it.
What?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 13:50
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ Working Class is an accident of birth and a social stigma, not an ethic and I am at a loss to work out how anyone can give the working class a worse name than they already have - I was born working class, grew-up on a council estate and had spagettii 'oops for tea. I am deemed middle class because I have a degree, I am in professional employment with a salary in the upper quartile and own my own home in a idyllic rural setting in the home counties, shop at M&S and Waitrose and of late have preferred to order a G&T rather than a pint of ale. As I rise for work each morning and schlep home every evening I seldom feel particularly middle class. Somewhere in the midst of all this I failed to gain ownership to the means of production. The class system in the UK is complete b**locks and when all the people who have to work for a living wake up and realise this then may be we'll get somewhere.

As a political activist all of my adult life, all I can really say to this is a big HEAR HEARClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 23:19
Billy Bragg made some great points on BBC News' Hard Talk programme earlier.  I'm not sure if it'[ll be repeated as it's a part of News 24, I think.

He was basically saying that Immigration isn't really the full issue but it's rather the lack of jobs and housing.  People are blaming it on the immigrants who are supposedly taking their jobs when it really isn't the issue at all.  Everyone is having the issue; immigrants included.

He's in full favour of multi-culturalism.  He also thinks there should be some kind of written constitution and also disagrees with the first-past-the-post system.  He also has no issues with the proposed Lib Dem Amnesty but disagrees with a cap on immigrants.

He has actually voted Lib Dem the past three elections due to tactical voting in his constituency in West Dorset.  He is still very much a left-of-centre voter though.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 07:12

^ Working Class is an accident of birth and a social stigma, not an ethic and I am at a loss to work out how anyone can give the working class a worse name than they already have - I was born working class, grew-up on a council estate and had spagettii 'oops for tea. I am deemed middle class because I have a degree, I am in professional employment with a salary in the upper quartile and own my own home in a idyllic rural setting in the home counties, shop at M&S and Waitrose and of late have preferred to order a G&T rather than a pint of ale. As I rise for work each morning and schlep home every evening I seldom feel particularly middle class. Somewhere in the midst of all this I failed to gain ownership to the means of production. The class system in the UK is complete b**locks and when all the people who have to work for a living wake up and realise this then may be we'll get somewhere.

I'm pretty similar to you in that respect, Dean (background, current financial/professional status) and I agree with you all the way.

As regards Mrs Smeg from Rochdale - being an elderly Northern working class widow doesn't make it inevitable that you'll express yourself like a cabbie whose proudest moment was having Nick Griffin in the back of his cab. My mother and several aunts fit that demographic and I'm confident that any of them could have raised the issue of immigration policy without sounding like they were quoting Richard Littlejohn verbatim. Whether she's a bigot or not, she expressed herself in a bigoted way that would have been deemed unacceptable had it been uttered by any of the 3 leaders and Gordon Brown was quite right to be concerend about that.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 07:18
How do you feel about her selling her story, Chris?

Unfortunately, Mrs. Smeg reminds me of my late grandmother who always had something to say about the "coloured".

She always came out with comments that sounded bigoted.

Edited by James - May 03 2010 at 07:19
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 09:32
Originally posted by James James wrote:

How do you feel about her selling her story, Chris?

Unfortunately, Mrs. Smeg reminds me of my late grandmother who always had something to say about the "coloured".

She always came out with comments that sounded bigoted.
Actually I don't have a problem with her selling her story - it will probably help to make her old age a bit more comfortable, and given the amount of column inches she's generated for the press she might as well get something for it. It's not as though she asked to be thrust in the media spotlight.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 09:57
True but she could have made a statement on her doorstep rather than getting convinced to sell her story for money by whoever offered her the most.

And personally, I had a good chuckle at Gordon.  I felt it actually made him look more human and has actually made me respect him more.

But then I'm weird.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 11:15
A couple of interesting points - James says she reminds him in a way of his grandmother who always had something to say about "The Coloureds" & a lot has been made of "class"; it could also be said it is a generational bias; the lady concerned grew up in a society where mass immigration was just coming in & prior to the introduction of the Race Relations Act, you could say anything you liked.

Like Dean/James/Chris above, I grew up on a council estate (got to be careful here before this sounds like the Four Yorkshiremen sketch), never went to university, but now own my own home outright, have 2 cars etc etc, so I consider myself (sort of) "middle class"... that said, I don't think it's a class thing here - I think 'Bigot-gate' is a combination of generational bias & (as I said earlier) her being unable to articulate her concerns (a bit like my inability to express what I mean here very well, but I hope you get the point )

However:

of late have preferred to order a G&T rather than a pint of ale

CLASS TRAITOR!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 11:41
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

of late have preferred to order a G&T rather than a pint of ale

CLASS TRAITOR!
Purely a volume of liquid vs. intoxication quotient old bean. Just can't handle 8 pints of anything anymore. Wink
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 12:58
It's Pimms o'clock!

Jim, I didn't grow up on a Council Estate.  I grew up in a village (more of a suburb now, to be honest)  in my parents mortgaged house.

Neither do I own my own house but I am currently renting.

It could be a generational thing.  My grandmother did have some bigoted viewpoints (which I think she got from her father, as he late husband and my grandfather apparently did not have these views) and if she was still alive today, I am sure she would still be saying the same thing.

I've just noticed that there is no BNP candidate in the constituency I am voting in, which cheers me up no end.  There is one standing in the actual constituency I am living in though.

Hmm.

However, it's looking very much like we'll have a Tory MP on Friday. Cry

Maybe all us anti-Tories should threaten to emigrate? LOL

Edited by James - May 04 2010 at 13:04
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 04:52
Well, I stayed up until half bloody five this morning, (the last hour spent swearing a lot and refreshing the results page for my constituency), watching "the drama unfold" as the BBC journalists would have me believe. Hours later and we're really none the wiser on how this country is going to be governed. I don't know whether to be excited or terrified.

I'm dismayed but not wholly surprised at the poor result for the Lib Dems. I don't know what the national vote share will look like (so many seats still to declare!) but I have a feeling it will paint a very different picture to the number of seats they've taken. The journalists are scratching their heads and saying "but we thought you all loved Clegg now?" but we never did. A sizeable minority in a lot of seats wanted to give him a chance, but under this stupid bloody system our votes count for nothing.

One crumb of comfort for us lefties is Caroline Lucas' win for the Green Party. Whilst I don't agree with them on absolutely everything (especially their funny relationship with science issues), having a Green MP or two in the House of Commons won't do this country any harm. I also think she has come across far better than any other party leader this election, and fought a truly positive and optimistic campaign throughout.

And as for the shambolic way the polling stations have operated in some areas... well, it's staggering, quite frankly. I have little sympathy for the people who cared so much about their vote that they thought they'd roll up a ten minutes before the stations are due to close and then get all uppity when they realise a hundred other people chose to do the same thing. Perhaps the polls should be closing an hour later, but we were all informed of the time for this election well in advance so there's no excuse, really. What does worry me is the tales of stations running out of ballot papers. WTF, quite frankly. WT friggin' F? YOU KNOW HOW MANY VOTERS ARE ON THE REGISTER. IS IT REALLY THAT HARD TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH BALLOT PAPERS FOR ALL OF THEM?! Unbelievable.

But still, this has been a fascinating election. My one real hope is that it paves the way for electoral reform. This result is surely a testament to the fact that FPTP is a rotten way to conduct a supposedly democratic election, and blows the Tories claims that FPTP is the only way to deliver "a strong government" completely out the water.

Anyway, that's enough from me. Over to you, Mr Paxman.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 05:16
^ sounds like after watching less than 5 minutes of anything election related I know as much as you Wink 

Even though the Lib Dems have lost 11 or so seats, their share of the public vote has ever so slightly improved from 22.1% in 2005 to 22.8%. Looks like they will get 7.8% of the seats for 22.8% of the public vote - or to put it another way - 14.25 million people (6.5million voters) represented by 51 MPs - what a fantastic system we have. Dead

Our "traditional" polling station (the village hall) burnt down over winter, so they are using a temporary one in the Bowling club.... many people still turned up at the village hall and wandered around looking suitably confused as to why polling booths hadn't been erected in the wreckage, some went to the Cricket club, and others to the local primary school. Those people don't deserve to vote.

What?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 05:25

LibDems on the decline....what a shame! Mind you looks like the Green Party got BrightonSmile

Victory for a new Conservative Labour?
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 07:35
I thoroughly agree with you, David.  Very well said.

Although there were many unpredictable results, both Swindon North and Swindon South were as expected.  Which I am not happy about.  Having said that, the "safer" labour seat of Swindon North had the larger swing to the Tories.

I knew the Lib Dems were untrustworthy.  They maybe forming a coalition with the Conservatives.  That's really against their own politics, really.  They're closer to Labour than the Conservatives.

What do I think is the best plan?

Well, I hate to say it but Brown standing down and letting someone else take over, may mean the Lib Dems support Labour and also breathe new life into Labour and perhaps... force them into majority when we have another election.

Wishful thinking, I know.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 07:37
Oh and I still only know a few people who voted Tory.  So I have no idea where all these closet Tories are coming from...
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 07:51
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Oh and I still only know a few people who voted Tory.  So I have no idea where all these closet Tories are coming from...

Older generations and different social strata, James. I don't personally know ANYONE who voted Tory (except for my grandparents) but that doesn't mean to say they aren't out there!

I agree with you about a Lab-Lib coalition with a change at the top for Labour being the most desirable outcome, but that would be HUGELY controversial, to say the least. After 3 much-hyped presidential type debates, do you really think the British electorate will want to see a completely different Prime Minister to the three potentials sold to them during the election? You and I might not mind so much, but I think we'd be squarely in the minority there.

A Conservative/Lib Dem coalition is unlikely, I think. The sticking point will be electoral reform - something the Lib Dems know Labour are willing to move towards compromising on, and something the Tories more or less reject wholeheartedly. IF, however, such a coalition does happen then the Lib Dems have lost my vote for many elections to come.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 08:04
I actually quite like Gordon Brown but I am looking at it from a Labour viewpoint.  It's potentially best for him to stand-down.

I don't think he will, mind you.

However, Clegg has staunchly said he cannot work with Brown in a coalition but would likely join them if Brown wasn't their leader.

And yes, I'd stop voting Lib Dem (who I voted for on the council elections, as they run second to the Tories in my Ward and a Labour vote there is pointless) too if they joined forces with the Tories.

I spent the evening watching the election at a someone's house and they were all Anti-Tory, Lib Dem voters.  So if the Lib Dems joined forces with the Tories, that's potentially a lot of anti-Tory Lib Dem voters lost.  So it's a bad thing for Clegg to do... if he actually has a soul.  Of course, it'd give him more power and if it's greed he wants, then of course a deal with the Tories is beneficial to him.

This is a disaster yet still better than a Tory overall majority.

Edited by James - May 07 2010 at 08:05
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 08:14
Also, I am also pleased that Caroline Lucas got elected.  However, not so with Mr. Goldsmith.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 08:18
Not that it matters much (we'll be having another General Election within 18 months), but Glegg has to go with the side that gives him the greatest slice of power, which is the coalition that has the most commanding majority - a lib-lab coalition will only give a ~10-seat majority - that is not enough to survive a non-confidence vote - siding with the "enemy" will give a 90-seat buffer which will enable Lib-Dem policies and policy-consessions to go through with less rsistance and lower risk of rejection - it will also give the coalition more chance of (not success) but of lasting more than a few months..

Edited by Dean - May 07 2010 at 08:20
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 08:22
Time to rearrange?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>