Topic ClosedStanding up for the 3 star rating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 03:58
Originally posted by claugroi claugroi wrote:

How nice of you to try and teach me grammar. I really appreciate that, but, as a language teacher who teaches that virtually every month, I feel I have to disagree with you. I'm assuming your wrong understanding of my comment is due to your partial analysis. The whole period was "The AVERAGE or MEDIOCRE rating would be 2.5 because our maximum is 5. And then we come to that old problem of ProgArchives, which is not to have a .5 rating option. If we had the half stars, I think people wouldn't confuse 2.5 and 3 anymore by assuming a 3-star rating indicates a more or less album. I really think the broken ratings would make our site fairer". Had you considered the rest of the period, in which I talk about the broken rating issue, you probably wouldn't have said that my "would be" is not a conditional. Actually, all you needed to do was to think that we simply don't have a 2.5 rating, so how could I say anything about it in the Past or Present tense ??? If I talk about something which does not exist now, I obviously refer to a possibility that it might in the future, and the conditional is the exact verb tense we use for that (specifically, the Future Conditional). I said the average WOULD BE 2.5 because it obviously isn't (now, in the present) and our maximum IS 5 because it actually IS (it won't be, is IS already). Therefore, when I say "the average or mediocre rating WOULD BE 2.5", I am drawing a future conclusion based on a present fact, which is "our maximum (rating) is 5", just like if I had said "the world would be better because our will to change it is huge" (of course I would need an appropriate context to insert that sentence without making it seem odd).

We don't necessariy have to employ a conditional conjunction in a sentence to make "would" a conditional verb. If other words in the sentence or in the whole period express a conditional idea, then the "would" automatically turns into a conditional verb. The use of "would" in the past is very different, such as in "when I was young, I would wake up early every morning to go to school".

You may have meant it in the way you described but that is not what you wrote.

The word is Paragraph not Period. Periods in grammar mark the end of a complete sentence.

"The AVERAGE or MEDIOCRE rating would be 2.5 because our maximum is 5. " ends with a period so it is a complete sentence. It stands alone.

You followed this with another complete sentence that introduced a new clause:

"And then we come to that old problem of ProgArchives, which is not to have a .5 rating option."

Since this new sentence starts with a conjunction (this isn't the huge grammar error that some teachers claim, sometimes starting a sentence with a conjunction is perfectly acceptable) it conjoins to the previous whole sentence, not the previous dependent clause. Punctuation before the conjunction "and" changes the logic of the linking. The logic of these two sentences is thus:

(A because B) and (C)

ie. two separate statements linked by "and"

It is not as you suggest:

(A) because (B and C)

ie one statement linked by two dependent clauses.

You may have meant that, but it is not what you wrote, but if that is what you later meant then that's fine. "Would be" is only conditional in English when used with "if". Without the conjunction to introduce a conditional clause "would be" is frequently used instead of "is". Also here "would be" is not a future conditional but present tense because the dependent clause is in the present tense, for example:

"Your real name would be Claudio because your screen name is claugroi." 

The conjoined independent statement is also present tense.

"And your location is Brazil, which is in South America.

Yes, that's right, I originally commited a mistake (as you can probably tell, mathematics is not my area). Funny enough, my original statement that 2.5 would be the average still stands. Just like I said, if we had a .5 rating system, then the 2.75 (2¾) would probably go to 2.5, not 3.

Rounding and ½-steps have still nothing to do with it. 

Simply stating that the average would be 2.5 does not imply that you are referring to a ½-step rating system just as stating that Close To The Edge has an average of 4.65 does not imply we have a 0.05-step rating system. 

Quote As someone has already asked ...

Take a look at the poll "progarchives 10 point rating system?" (in which, by the way, the overwhelming majority expresses the wish for a change in the rating system by adding the .5 option). A user commented "Is a 1.5 star album really a cut about a 1 star album? Just sayin'... (...) What I meant was, whether 1 or 1.5, you are trying to quantify abysmal. So I don't see much difference between the two. It would be a crappy album either way, and a .5 star doesn't change the equation much". The same answer I gave him I'm gonna give you now:

"I understand what you're saying, but I think a better example would be a 4.5 album. Would you rate it 4 ou 5 ? Either way would be unfair, don't you think ? If one thinks the album deserves 4.5, then one should be allowed to rate it that way, not be obliged to choose between a better rating or a worse one.

I personally think the .5 ratings would be more useful from 2.5 above. From 2.5 below, it wouldn't really make much difference, but could still come in handy sometimes."

He agreed with me in a later comment.

I presume you typed all that out to demonstrate to me that you understood what I wrote.

As you said: "I personally think the .5 ratings would be more useful from 2.5 above. From 2.5 below, it wouldn't really make much difference, but could still come in handy sometimes."

What you want is a non-linear system, what you are proposing is a linear system. As I said, I don't have an opinion on ½-step ratings, I'm just making observations on what people are saying.

I agree that music is art, not mathematics or a sport. However, if you and I didn't care about ratings, we simply wouldn't be (look, a Future Conditional !) here in PA. In fact, we wouldn't even be having this very conversation, which is in a thread about rating. Smile

Almost... "wouldn't be" in this instance is a present conditional because the clause "if we didn't care about ratings" is in the present tense and "we wouldn't be here in PA" is also present tense. 

Edited by Dean - April 13 2014 at 04:05
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 11:32
Ratings are overrated.  My only pet peeve is when someone rounds down a .5. Angry
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 12:26
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Ratings are overrated.  My only pet peeve is when someone rounds down a .5. Angry
People do have problems with rounding, imagine how much fun you would have with ½-step ratings when they round 2.25 down to 2.0 and 2.75 down to 2.5 Wink

Edited by Dean - April 14 2014 at 12:26
What?
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 13:47
Almost... "wouldn't be" in this instance is a present conditional because the clause "if we didn't care about ratings" is in the present tense and "we wouldn't be here in PA" is also present tense. 

My friend, I was going to write a (not so) brief explanation about the Conditional Tense to explain the first part of your last comment, but it seems it would't have any effect since you don't even know the Present Tense !

"If we didn't care" is not Present Tense at all, it is Past Tense (more precisely, Past Subjunctive), whereas "we wouldn't be" is a Future Conditional which expresses a supposition in a future time.

The conclusion I get from our debate is that I'm not a maths expert and you are not a language expert. LOL
Symphonic Prog Master
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 13:56

My friend, I was going to write a (not so) brief explanation about the Conditional Tense to explain the first part of your last comment, but it seems it would't have any effect since you don't even know the Present Tense !

"If we didn't care" is not Present Tense at all, it is Past Tense (more precisely, Past Subjunctive), whereas "we wouldn't be" is a Future Conditional which expresses a supposition in a future time.

The conclusion I get from our debate is that I'm not a maths expert and you are not a language expert. LOL
hahahaha claugroi LOL

In the past present tense, it would be nice ifLOL we all agreed in musical consensus Big smile although most of us here seem to agree what prog means, we all have different taste and perception of what prog should be and sound like this is a good thing I think as long we all agree that the adjective in prog (considering most has been done before) should be clever, well played and enjoyable moozik Approve hugs Hug 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 20:56

Oh dear. LOL

[I think "if we didn't care" may be indicative rather than subjunctive because it is indicates that we do care rather than we may care, but the difference between indicative and subjunctive in English is subtle and I could be wrong so since you're a self-professed expert I'll bow to your knowledge]

Actually, on the Unreal Conditional tense we are both correct.

In English the form of the Present Unreal Conditional and the Future Unreal Conditional is the same

if [simple past] ... would + verb 

But in English the Future Unreal Conditional is rarely used and then only to express impossible future events rather than supposed ones, so an English-speaker will generally read it as a Present Unreal Conditional.

If I were to say "If I were in London next week I would visit the Science Museum" that would not be a supposition of a possible future event but a statement of an impossible event - ie "I will not be in London next week".

"we didn't" is past tense but "If we didn't + verb" can be past, present or future depending upon the context. We are lazy speakers of our own language and will happily use "didn't" when we should use "don't" or "won't", for example:

"If we didn't have chairs we wouldn't have bought chair-covers" = past tense :: Past Conditional
BUT WE DID BUY CHAIR-COVERS SO WE DID HAVE CHAIRS
"If we didn't have chairs we wouldn't be sitting down" = present tense :: Present Conditional
BUT WE ARE SITTING DOWN SO WE DO HAVE CHAIRS
"If we didn't have chairs we wouldn't be able to sell them" = future tense :: Future Conditional.
BUT WE WILL HAVE CHAIRS SO WE CAN SELL THEM

... all of these imply we did, do or will have chairs. Similarly "If we didn't care about ratings" implies that we do care about ratings.

"If we didn't care about ratings, we wouldn't be here on the PA"  "We do care about ratings so we are here on the PA"

"If we didn't care about ratings, we wouldn't be here on the PA" can be either Present or Future Unreal Conditional but since it does not express an impossible event an English-speaker will defer this to the present tense. (ie "If we didn't care about ratings, we wouldn't be here on the PA [discussing this now]").

So even though you wrote it as a Future Conditional I, as an Englishman, will read it as a Present Conditional.

Edited by Dean - April 14 2014 at 21:04
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 21:04
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Oh dear. LOL
[I think "if we didn't care" may be indicative rather than subjunctive because it is indicates that we do care rather than we may care, but the difference between indicative and subjunctive in English is subtle and I could be wrong so since <span style="line-height: 1.2;">you're a self-professed expert </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">I'll bow to your knowledge]</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Actually, on the Unreal Conditional tense we are both correct.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">In English the form of the Present Unreal Conditional and the Future Unreal Conditional is the same</span>
<blockquote style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;"><span style="line-height: 1.2;">if [simple past] ... would + verb </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">But in English the Future Unreal Conditional is rarely used and then only to express impossible future events rather than supposed ones, so an English-speaker will generally read it as a Present Unreal Conditional.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">If I were to say "If I were in London next week I would visit the Science Museum" that would not be a supposition of a possible future event but a statement of an impossible event - ie "I will not be in London next week".</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">"we didn't" is past tense but "If we didn't + verb" can be past present or future depending upon the context. We are lazy speakers of our own language and will happily use "didn't" when we should use "don't" or "won't", for example:</span>
<blockquote style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">"If we didn't have chairs we wouldn't have bought chair-covers" = past tense :: Past Conditional</span>
<blockquote style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">BUT WE DID BUY CHAIR-COVERS SO WE DID HAVE CHAIRS
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">"If we didn't have chairs we wouldn't be sitting down" = present tense :: Present Conditional</span>
<blockquote style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">BUT WE ARE SITTING DOWN SO WE DO HAVE CHAIRS
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">"If we didn't have chairs we wouldn't be able to sell them" = future tense :: Future Conditional.</span>
<blockquote style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">BUT WE WILL HAVE CHAIRS SO WE CAN SELL THEM
... all of these imply we did, do or will have chairs. Similarly "If we didn't care about ratings" implies that we do care about ratings.
"If we didn't care about ratings, we wouldn't be here on the PA" <span style=": rgb249, 249, 249; line-height: 21px;"></span><span style="line-height: 1.2;"> "We do care about ratings so we are here on the PA"</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">"If we didn't care about ratings, we wouldn't be here on the PA" can be either Present or Future Unreal Conditional but since it does not express an impossible event an English-speaker will defer this to the present tense. (ie </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">"If we didn't care about ratings, we wouldn't be here on the PA [discussing this now]").</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">So even though you wrote it as a Future Conditional I, as an Englishman, will read it as a Present Conditional.</span>

Dean you just managed to turn grammar into maths ugh xxxxxx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567