Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 13:00
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

<span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 1.2">But, from a manuscript/score study, both of these pieces are likely to get dismissed as just pop music (as Dean suggests -- and I agree!), </span>

No I didn't. I never said that, nor did I ever infer it. 

If you cannot understand a single bloody word I say stop quoting made-up crap I never said. Better still, stop reading my posts, you clearly read into them things that simply are not there and that is an insult to me.

I'm the one that has been trying to raise the profile of the music ... and you have, for a long time, and in many posts always trashed that idea, because in the end you did not think that pop music has little, if any value. The wording may not be exact, but the sentiment is correct.

Incorrect. That's what you want to think I said. It isn't what I said. To you pop music is a low-value word, to me it is not. Just because it is not high-art it does not mean it is worthless. Raising the profile of music by pretending it is something it is not is simply dumb.

Of course Pop can be high-art as same as any other genre as well. For example, Mr Bowie did do a lot of Pop albums who are high-art without a question.

Not the "text-book" definition of high-art, but nice try. Bowie is art, art rock and art pop, but he is not high-art or art music. These words and noun-phrases are not interchangeable and you cannot throw them around with gay abandon or without regard. If you start doing that then the language we used to describe music becomes meaningless. (It's fast becoming meaningless as it is, let us not help it along its way to utter gibberish too quickly)
I know for that high school "definition" of high-art but that "definition" is so terribly dated; e.g. Mozart is high - art, but Coltrane is not, Rubens' paintings are Fine Art but Patrick Woodroffe's (RIP) paintings are "ilustrations", etc. I'm not a conservative person and I don't buy it.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 13:03
Not really what he was getting at though....
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 14:07
Thank you David.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 14:23
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

I know for that high school "definition" of high-art but that "definition" is so terribly dated; e.g. Mozart is high - art, but Coltrane is not, Rubens' paintings are Fine Art but Patrick Woodroffe's (RIP) paintings are "ilustrations", etc. I'm not a conservative person and I don't buy it.
It's not for sale. It's not about your politics. It's not "an opinion" that you can chose to accept or reject. It's not about your sloppy understanding of definitions and "definitions". (there really was no need for "irony" quotes there btw). It's not about revisionism and redefinitions to fit your personal view. It's about the precise meaning of words to convey a recognisable understanding of musicological classifications within written and spoken discourse so they can be universally understood by all concerned. You don't get to choose the meaning that fits your ideology or philosophy, just as you cannot unilaterally decide one day that the word "red" shall now refer to all things that the colour of bananas and the word "yellow" shall now refer to all things that are the colour of strawberries. Or that all occurrences of the word "elephant" shall be forever replaced by the word "Colin" so that the two extant species of pachyderm are now the African Colin and the Indian Colin.
What?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 15:48

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

And again I wasn't saying that those bands were 'keyboard dominated'. Just some keyboards can have a much greater impact than a whole lot of guitar.

Although I think that the rock/jazz and most 20th century music will be defined by the recording and the electric guitar more than anything else.

It seems to me that keyboards were given a much higher profile in prog than most other forms of music except maybe jazz. I would have though the guitar was more prominent in blues and 'straight ahead' rock music. This is I believe a discussion about prog is it not? I know you like to widen it out to the point where all lines are blurred but as Dean has pointed out countless times this is actually a prog site and not a general music discussion site.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 10:38

And again I wasn't saying that those bands were 'keyboard dominated'. Just some keyboards can have a much greater impact than a whole lot of guitar.

Although I think that the rock/jazz and most 20th century music will be defined by the recording and the electric guitar more than anything else.

It seems to me that keyboards were given a much higher profile in prog than most other forms of music except maybe jazz. I would have though the guitar was more prominent in blues and 'straight ahead' rock music. This is I believe a discussion about prog is it not? I know you like to widen it out to the point where all lines are blurred but as Dean has pointed out countless times this is actually a prog site and not a general music discussion site.

I think you missed the point. To say that one era in music is distinctive strictly by one instrument, will not, move the "progressive" definition any further than the miriad of insanity that has already been created, when even a special effect creates a genre, when you could easily turn the electricity off and there is nothing there new!

I am simply thinking that the definition needs to be better than just an instrument, and "keyboards" is not a good representative at all! Like saying that guitar was not massive in "progressive"?

Edited by moshkito - June 17 2014 at 10:38
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 10:41
^ Funny, you seemed to be more than happy to credit a whole genre of music solely by the invention of the Synthesiser not so long ago.
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 11:07

^ Funny, you seemed to be more than happy to credit a whole genre of music solely by the invention of the Synthesiser not so long ago.

All that is required of a contrarian is an excess of contrariness; anything remotely resembling consistency is a bonus.

As far as keyboards, synths, mellotrons, chamberlins, vocoders, etc., I think they were a specific component of the initial prog epoch, but not necessarily the main instrument.

Let's face it, if it's rock, the guitar is the primary vehicle; unless you are referring to the few bands that were keyboard predominant
like VdGG, ELP or even Uriah Heep. For the most part, keys set a palette, and imbue the background with pseudo-classical panache.

Yes, King Crimson, Tull, Floyd, Zeppelin, Deep Purple all had fine keyboardists, but it was the guitarists that dominated.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
coffeeintheface View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 23:21
My personal definition for prog has always been "music that transcends the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge (or solo)/chorus paradigm". Usually music that builds to crescendos, a la classical.

Bands that do this the majority of the time are, to me, "prog bands", but any band/singer can have a progressive song (see the extended demo version of Madonna's "Live to Tell")
OBQM: www.soundcloud.com/onebigquestionmark (solo project)
nQuixote: www.soundcloud.com/n-quixote (ambient + various musical ideas)
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 23:57
The definition of progressive music is not quite correct to what I seem to understand, progressive in any terms means growing going beyond from what previously available and what it ends up sounding like, both in terms of unpredictability and not conforming to the norm as in any music genre, a mix without rules as long as it sounds great to the ears, the mix, the complexity, while also adding and experimenting with ethnic instruments to classic and rock music etc. LOS JAIVAS in this case comes to mind.
However progressive music in this era I don’t think it’s a correct definition of what currently is available, in the 70’s yes that was an experimentation era, current new music I think it’s about great musicianship and imagination beyond rock but progressive as in definition it is not, i.e. the beatles were one of the first bands to add the sitar etc and the song helter skelter to me was the first metal song, both at the time progressive, this is my belief and opinion, however to date we have heard what bands add to rock songs incorporating i.e. Beethoven 7th symphony to the flute and bagpipes :)   
To me prog means taking you into another level, great musicianship, many layers, built ups, crescendos added most tiny soft touching awww memorable tunes. The complexity of great musicianship simplified to the listener, while taking you into a magical journey with so many layers, built ups and come downs, this to me is what it means, the wonderful experience it takes you xxxxx   

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 02:37
Prog might be defined as rock which transcription in sheet music has little compressibility via compression signs such as repeat signs, volta brackets, 'da capo' or 'dal segno' signs, notes like 'repeat verse', 'repeat chorus' etc.

If you check the sheet music script of many pop songs lasting 3 to 5 minutes, they can frequently be written in less than one page (if the lyrics are also conveniently placed in superposed rows, and I'm talking about scripts of the general chords and melody, not full-detail scripts of every single note by each instrument). You can not usually do that with prog songs, for sure they are compressible but much less.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 13:45
I recall that I objected to RichardH's characterization of Prog as keyboard dominated. I don't recall if it was earlier in this thread or in another thread. From the perspective of a guitar player it ruffled my feathers a bit. And quite seriously, I do think it is overestimated, but keyboards certainly occupied a larger slice of the pie in Prog than other genres, however large that may be. For me, a critical characteristic of Prog is experimentation with timbre. Guitars were at least the equal of keyboards to do odd things with timbre until synthesizers came along. They really gained an upper hand then.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 15:07
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I recall that I objected to RichardH's characterization of Prog as keyboard dominated. I don't recall if it was earlier in this thread or in another thread. From the perspective of a guitar player it ruffled my feathers a bit. And quite seriously, I do think it is overestimated, but keyboards certainly occupied a larger slice of the pie in Prog than other genres, however large that may be. For me, a critical characteristic of Prog is experimentation with timbre. Guitars were at least the equal of keyboards to do odd things with timbre until synthesizers came along. They really gained an upper hand then.

I guess that it's a bit of an "historical accident", guitars, basses, drums, flutes, saxes, horns, pianos, normal organs etc existed long before Prog, but the modern synthesizer was born in the mid-late 60's and got developed from then until the late 70's when digital technology started to take over, so the development of modern keyboards went very much in parallel with the development of Prog itself, creating a link between them which is now difficult to unravel.

Would Prog have developed all the same if the synth was not developed?

Would synths have developed all the same if Prog did not happen?

A similar comment could be made about sound effects, from distortion to wah-wah to chorus to delays, they were developed in parallel with the development of Prog and they contributed to the new sound which Prog represented. 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 15:52
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.2;">

</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
I guess that it's a bit of an "historical accident", guitars, basses, drums, flutes, saxes, horns, pianos, normal organs etc existed long before Prog, but the modern synthesizer was born in the mid-late 60's and got developed from then until the late 70's when digital technology started to take over, so the development of modern keyboards went very much in parallel with the development of Prog itself, creating a link between them which is now difficult to unravel.
Would Prog have developed all the same if the synth was not developed?
Would synths have developed all the same if Prog did not happen?
A similar comment could be made about sound effects, from distortion to wah-wah to chorus to delays, they were developed in parallel with the development of Prog and they contributed to the new sound which Prog represented. 

You know a lot about the history of synths. I've been on your blog. I don't recall hearing synths much in late 60s and even really early 70s material. Keith Emerson was earlier than most, but he was working with Moog prototypes directly as I understand it. How common were synths in '72 and prior? Especially for those with limited financial support from their record company.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 16:23

You know a lot about the history of synths. I've been on your blog. I don't recall hearing synths much in late 60s and even really early 70s material. Keith Emerson was earlier than most, but he was working with Moog prototypes directly as I understand it. How common were synths in '72 and prior? Especially for those with limited financial support from their record company.
Thanks for the compliment, I do not know that much but I researched a bit.
The Mellotron was not a synth but it introduced radically new possibilities for music performed by bands of a few members in the mid-late 1960's (possibilities which were until then reserved for big bands and orchestras).
The VCS3 was released in 1969 and it provided also completely new sounds and effects possibilities. Just a bit later in 1970 the Minimoog came out and it became a paradigm for new sounds.

The big synths such as the modular Moogs or the ARP2500 / 2600 were indeed not available to everyone, but they somehow shaped "the sound of the times".

I do not claim that Prog happened because of the synth or the guitar sound effects, only that they went in parallel and provided some kind of "feedback loop", the possibility to make more complex sounds facilitated making more complex music. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 19:03
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Thanks for the compliment, I do not know that much but I researched a bit.
The Mellotron was not a synth but it introduced radically new possibilities for music performed by bands of a few members in the mid-late 1960's (possibilities which were until then reserved for big bands and orchestras).
The VCS3 was released in 1969 and it provided also completely new sounds and effects possibilities. Just a bit later in 1970 the Minimoog came out and it became a paradigm for new sounds.

The big synths such as the modular Moogs or the ARP2500 / 2600 were indeed not available to everyone, but they somehow shaped "the sound of the times".

I do not claim that Prog happened because of the synth or the guitar sound effects, only that they went in parallel and provided some kind of "feedback loop", the possibility to make more complex sounds facilitated making more complex music. 

Gerard, this may seem like a silly question, but the MOOG was invented to mimic orchestral sounds and the VSC3 for sound effects or am I wrong on this? Is it these two used together that gives early 70's Prog it's mostly destinctive but not quite identifiable sound?

Edited by SteveG - July 09 2014 at 19:12
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 21:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Gerard, this may seem like a silly question, but the MOOG was invented to mimic orchestral sounds and the VSC3 for sound effects or am I wrong on this? Is it these two used together that gives early 70's Prog it's mostly destinctive but not quite identifiable sound?
For what I know: the modular Moog was invented to produce NEW sounds, not to mimic anything. Mimicking was the task of the Mellotron. Originally Bob Moog did not think of the Modular Moog as a live rock instrument, he meant it as a studio instrument, it was mainly Keith Emerson who decided that he could take one on stage.

The VCS3 was indeed mainly focused at generating sound effects, although it could also be used melodically with a keyboard. We can hear a lot of VCS3 effects in Pink Floyd's early 1970's albums.

Few musicians had access to the modular Moog, if we want to talk about the early 1970's sound, I would say that it was the Mellotron, the Minimoog and the VCS3 which made the key difference. But remember that guys like Tony Banks never played a Moog, a Minimoog or VCS3, he was happy with his Mellotron and his APR Pro-Soloist. 

And of course the Hammond, the Hohner Clavinet and the Rhodes were also defining sounds from that period.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567