Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why old prog - for me - is better than new prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy old prog - for me - is better than new prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 20>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 11:23
I think that's a great point from Telestrat above - how well received will todays' prog be in ten years ? 

If only we could tell. :-)

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 12:16
It also depends on us, hehe I've created a poll right now...

Fugal style (even with good old harmonic rules)  in modern music's still a moderately promoted thing, so revisiting a piece like The Nice's Rondo won't be too much  !!
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 13:25
Dave, the 'associated memories from the youth' argument is clear, but strictly it can only apply to people around 55 or older, and the classics are also favourites of many younger people. Or so the facts seem to suggest:

I we should trust the thread of 'How old are PA members', the largest age group is 18-25 (21%) and only 28% are older than 50. And yet, if I look at the recently active 'Prog Polls' what do we find there?

(Long list of bands, primarily from the classic '68-'75 era)

perhaps the only ones creating polls are the old farts, that's certainly a possibility, but it seems that the 'classics' are still what people discuss most about. Surely great music is being made today and we need to encourage it, but I wonder if within 40 years today's youngsters will be creating polls about 'Birds and Buildings vs Gazpacho', 'Vespero vs Corvus Stone' and things like that (all of them with Top 10 albums in the recent years). 

I wonder if this is a case of 'roots and branches.'  Most of the many subgenres on PA deviated from a more common base of (I think)  eclectic and symphonic prog.  I'm 45 now.  Personally, I like many of the classic bands a great deal but came here to find newer bands sharing at least some of the qualities of this classic era - complex, dynamic music that has a broader range of instrumentation, plays around with time signatures and isn't afraid to make a song more than four minutes long.  I suspect many members who prefer the newer bands have a common appreciation for the roots of progressive rock.  Today, the sheer volume and diversity of bands is so much greater that there are simply less people to talk about particular bands or subgenres.

More heavy prog, please!
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 11:41
Originally posted by twalsh twalsh wrote:

Dave, the 'associated memories from the youth' argument is clear, but strictly it can only apply to people around 55 or older, and the classics are also favourites of many younger people. Or so the facts seem to suggest:

I we should trust the thread of 'How old are PA members', the largest age group is 18-25 (21%) and only 28% are older than 50. And yet, if I look at the recently active 'Prog Polls' what do we find there?

(Long list of bands, primarily from the classic '68-'75 era)

perhaps the only ones creating polls are the old farts, that's certainly a possibility, but it seems that the 'classics' are still what people discuss most about. Surely great music is being made today and we need to encourage it, but I wonder if within 40 years today's youngsters will be creating polls about 'Birds and Buildings vs Gazpacho', 'Vespero vs Corvus Stone' and things like that (all of them with Top 10 albums in the recent years). 

I wonder if this is a case of 'roots and branches.'  Most of the many subgenres on PA deviated from a more common base of (I think)  eclectic and symphonic prog.  I'm 45 now.  Personally, I like many of the classic bands a great deal but came here to find newer bands sharing at least some of the qualities of this classic era - complex, dynamic music that has a broader range of instrumentation, plays around with time signatures and isn't afraid to make a song more than four minutes long.  I suspect many members who prefer the newer bands have a common appreciation for the roots of progressive rock.  Today, the sheer volume and diversity of bands is so much greater that there are simply less people to talk about particular bands or subgenres.

This is a legitimate point.  There are so many bands and releases.  Very few that connect with me though.  Most new prog either sounds pro tooled to death or just has too much metal in it, particularly the guitar palate.   Or sometimes it's the DT clone thing with lots of fancy chops but a generally weak composition or conceptual direction.  I suppose what I am saying is that the music kind of needs to sound and feel live to me.  When that is the case, then I can tend to overlook a bit of showboating etc.  But the "look what I can do on the computer" just doesn't work for me.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 16:29
^Not only is this a legitimate point, but it also points to the isolated feeling more and more diverse sub genre fans feel.

A neighbor of mine is into djent. Particularly the band Periphery, for obvious reasons. Now, I like a good deal of prog metal for someone of my age group, but I can only talk so much djent with this chap and it's sad. He's in a bubble between Nu metal and extreme/tech and I can see that he feels isolated and can't relate to other fans of other prog genres and sub genres.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 17:51
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

This is a legitimate point.  There are so many bands and releases.  Very few that connect with me though.  Most new prog either sounds pro tooled to death or just has too much metal in it, particularly the guitar palate.   Or sometimes it's the DT clone thing with lots of fancy chops but a generally weak composition or conceptual direction.  I suppose what I am saying is that the music kind of needs to sound and feel live to me.  When that is the case, then I can tend to overlook a bit of showboating etc.  But the "look what I can do on the computer" just doesn't work for me.

I think you may have been looking in the wrong places. I have been listening (and reviewing) to new "prog" albums for the past six or seven years, and I can assure you that there is a lot of music out there that is neither pro-tooled nor influenced by metal. Personally, I cannot stand DT clones either, but I love a lot of modern artists who bring something fresh to the table. However, as you say, there is so much stuff out that it is not always easy to find something that might appeal to our tastes.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 18:14
deleted for going off the rails ....LOL

Edited by micky - January 22 2015 at 18:19
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 18:25
You mean me? Or did I not post? I thought I posted. Oh well. :)

But yea I love all eras of music equally. Just love music. Don't see why someone would prefer one to the other. So much in all of it. 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 19:18
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I think you may have been looking in the wrong places. I have been listening (and reviewing) to new "prog" albums for the past six or seven years, and I can assure you that there is a lot of music out there that is neither pro-tooled nor influenced by metal. Personally, I cannot stand DT clones either, but I love a lot of modern artists who bring something fresh to the table. However, as you say, there is so much stuff out that it is not always easy to find something that might appeal to our tastes.

Raff, makes  valid and strong point here. Infact unlike so many, she actually reviews many unknown bands (inc. indie and unsigned artists), I wish more people were like her to be honest, she spreads the "word" far and wide, bringing them to the forefront, I applaud and respect her so much for this too.
No denying that the progrock era in the 70's has that mystique surrounding it, this plays a role in getting new listeners interested thus becoming prog fans and in return also want to discover what more is out there.
Nothing wrong with posting or like 70's bands, many bands that were largely ignored back then have found a new fan base i.e. Gentle Giant and even King Crimson.
Big hug to you all, Hug

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 19:32
at the end of the day, this is what matters WinkHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 19:34
Stern Smile this happens a lot too LOL
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 19:54
^^^  that's me with movies...
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 22:15
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

So true!

I have felt like that so many times playing prog for non progites.  Suppers Ready anyone?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 22:48

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

So true!

I have felt like that so many times playing prog for non progites.  Suppers Ready anyone?
Hug
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 01:51
^ Yeah, this is why I don't play prog for people. They can't think several moves ahead.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:05
Well, OK, yes yes yes, we're all going on about "old prog versus new prog"..... as occasionally happens here, folks ! ;-) How about the original post though - one thing music you've listened to a LOT comes with associated memories. These take time to build up with "new music". 

Anyone got any specific memories associated with "old" prog tracks which make them special for them? 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:09
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Anyone got any specific memories associated with "old" prog tracks which make them special for them? 

I don't know about specific tracks ..  that was the thing about prog, I never listened to part of an album, most of them to me were a whole so I always listened to the entire album every time.

I remember being completely enchanted by Genesis Nursery Cryme - my first exposure.
I use the term magical a lot when referring to MY old prog because that's exactly what it was.
That album and Tangerine Dream's Rubycon were my escape from reality - i'd put the earphones on and try to drown out what was going on in the house. I still say that escape probably save my life - or someone elses.

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:38
:-) Ahhh - you should have a listen to my stuff if you like TD, Walton Street. ;-)

Site down for maintenance, though. Oh go on, back up .....
https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/album/trip-hazard

Just not downloadable. I have officially retired from commercial music. ;-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:42
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

:-) Ahhh - you should have a listen to my stuff if you like TD, Walton Street. ;-)

Site down for maintenance, though. Oh go on, back up .....
https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/album/trip-hazard

Just not downloadable. I have officially retired from commercial music. ;-)

i'll check it out when i'm home for sure :)

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 10:11
Hope you like it ! ;-)
I am looking - seriously - of doing an old style liquid light show with a Tangerine Dream / Hawkwind style backing track. For a live gig. 

Don't hold your breath, though. ;-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 20>