Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 23>
Poll Question: Who is the most overrated band of the 'Big Six'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [35.96%]
26 [12.81%]
28 [13.79%]
20 [9.85%]
37 [18.23%]
19 [9.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glucose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 10:01
Despite i really, really love all of them, I have to vote for ELP. I don't see anything much new or prog about this band. At least in comparsion with the others. 
Under the rocks and stones,
there is water underground

TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 11:07
Originally posted by Glucose Glucose wrote:

Despite i really, really love all of them, I have to vote for ELP. I don't see anything much new or prog about this band. At least in comparsion with the others. 

You don't see anything prog in ELP Confused?
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 11:13
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

King Crimson

Clap

To be honest, I'd rather look at that picture than the real album cover.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 13:37
Referring to the OP question....overrated in what way ....?
I think most of the better albums by the 'big 6' are rated accurately.
Regarding ability....imho Floyd probably has a more average group of musicians than the others. Gilmour is the only one who ever impressed me regarding his mastery of his instrument. None of the other members stand out imho when compared to the musicians in the other bands listed above.

I'm sure some Floyd fans will throw some bricks at me so I'm ducking now.......
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Glucose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glucose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 16:05
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Originally posted by Glucose Glucose wrote:

You don't see anything prog in ELP Confused?

No, not really. Geek I mean...they sound totally prog and they really are a great band, better than 97% others, but still I can't find as much emotions in their music, as in another bands. And listening to Tarkus, I  had a feeling I knew some musical moments from somewhere else, namely In the court of a crimson king.

DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDPascalDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 16:07
Here's a brick!
Indeed, he can't play as quick as the other Rick W., but he's outstanding in a different way:

Glucose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glucose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 16:15
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Referring to the OP question....overrated in what way ....?
I think most of the better albums by the 'big 6' are rated accurately.
Regarding ability....imho Floyd probably has a more average group of musicians than the others. Gilmour is the only one who ever impressed me regarding his mastery of his instrument. None of the other members stand out imho when compared to the musicians in the other bands listed above.

I'm sure some Floyd fans will throw some bricks at me so I'm ducking now.......
Wink

I'm a huuuuge Floyd fan, but I have to agree. Gilmour is "the one" of Floyd in many other ways LOL, and he truly seems to be the one who's solos and solo projects really worth something. Pink Floyd simply don't need to be SO good musicians because they have their story. What would they be without it? Maybe they'd be also great, but all the drugs and music and madness and emptiness and each personality made it complicated like a soap-opera and that's movingly awesome. I am definitely not the only girl who spent their puberty crying on the pillow listening to DSOTM or WIWH. But what I wanted to say that thanks to their story, they are to me more interesting as for example ELP. 

DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDPascalDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 16:24
You underestimate Waters there! He's the great composer of most DSOTM, WYWH and almost all of Animals, The Wall and TFC. Also his solo career wasn't bad, Amused To Death is a jewel!
Well the bass playing is just average, if that is what matters to you...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 16:26
UnhappyLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 22:36
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

You underestimate Waters there! He's the great composer of most DSOTM, WYWH and almost all of Animals, The Wall and TFC. Also his solo career wasn't bad, Amused To Death is a jewel!

Not sure about Waters having such a huge input in songwriting during their golden period (for me, Dark Side, WYWH, and Animals). Dark Side is a very even album as far as songwriting goes. OK, Breath, Money, and Brain Damage/Eclipse are written by Waters, out of which the last couple are my very favourites, while I don't really care much for Money. Time is a group effort, if I remember correctly (and I wouldn't be surprised if Waters input to that song was mostly only the lyrics)... and I guess Any Color you Like is also a group composition (don't really remember so well). And Great Gig and Us And Them are Wright's songs (of course, plust Waters lyrics on the later one). So there it is, without the rest of the band, this album wouldn't have been a shadow of what it is.

On WYWH, Shine on You Crazy Diamond is a group composition too, and that's the piece that holds the weight of the album, plus the title song is a Gilmour song (with Waters lyrics). Of course, Waters has Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar (the first I love, the second I don't care about).

And with Animals, which is often regarded as the album in which Waters began to have too much control over the band... and even though he did write all the songs except for one... well, Dogs was written by Gilmour and Waters, and once again I understand the music was actually Gilmour's, and Waters contribution is the lyrics, so that makes the song that takes almost half the album (and in my opinion the best one) a Gilmour composition.

The Wall and The Final Cut are definitley Waters Babies, but even on The Wall the best song was co-written with Gilmour.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 22:40
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

If anything, I'd say all six bands are extremely underrated in the grand scheme of things. They are the foundation of the genre and a big part of why this site exists.

IMNSHO, the level of creativity displayed by each of those bands is the type of thing people should aspire to - not the repetitive, formulaic, brain-deadening drivel that marketers unapologetically shove down the throats of the masses. 

Those b*****ds should be placed in solitary confinement and forced to listen 24/7/365 to nothing but Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, Mariah Carey, and Donnie Osmond for the rest of their lives! Oh, the inhumanity!

Pink Floyd is not underrated. It's one of the biggest bands there have ever been.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 22:51
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Not sure about Waters having such a huge input in songwriting during their golden period (for me, Dark Side, WYWH, and Animals). Dark Side is a very even album as far as songwriting goes. OK, Breath, Money, and Brain Damage/Eclipse are written by Waters, out of which the last couple are my very favourites, while I don't really care much for Money. Time is a group effort, if I remember correctly (and I wouldn't be surprised if Waters input to that song was mostly only the lyrics)... and I guess Any Color you Like is also a group composition (don't really remember so well). And Great Gig and Us And Them are Wright's songs (of course, plust Waters lyrics on the later one). So there it is, without the rest of the band, this album wouldn't have been a shadow of what it is.

On WYWH, Shine on You Crazy Diamond is a group composition too, and that's the piece that holds the weight of the album, plus the title song is a Gilmour song (with Waters lyrics). Of course, Waters has Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar (the first I love, the second I don't care about).

And with Animals, which is often regarded as the album in which Waters began to have too much control over the band... and even though he did write all the songs except for one... well, Dogs was written by Gilmour and Waters, and once again I understand the music was actually Gilmour's, and Waters contribution is the lyrics, so that makes the song that takes almost half the album (and in my opinion the best one) a Gilmour composition.

The Wall and The Final Cut are definitley Waters Babies, but even on The Wall the best song was co-written with Gilmour.

Yep. Some people think Waters wrote most of the music because they just take a look at the credits, and he appears in almost all songs because of the lyrics. Before The Wall the songwriting was pretty evenly distributed. As you mentioned in Dark Side he wrote Money and Brain Damage/Eclipse. But Breathe is also Gilmour's and Wright's (while everyone contributed for Time). Also, in many Waters songs Gilmour would write the arrangements and improve them considerably. The Wall and The Final Cut are 100% Waters, but in the previous albums Gilmour was the most important member.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2015 at 01:09
I believe they all get the credit that they deserve

I like KC less than all the others followed very close by Yes but whoever says they don'r deserve the recognition they have, is crazy.

Iván

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2015 at 21:28
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Yep. Some people think Waters wrote most of the music because they just take a look at the credits, and he appears in almost all songs because of the lyrics. Before The Wall the songwriting was pretty evenly distributed. As you mentioned in Dark Side he wrote Money and Brain Damage/Eclipse. But Breathe is also Gilmour's and Wright's (while everyone contributed for Time). Also, in many Waters songs Gilmour would write the arrangements and improve them considerably. The Wall and The Final Cut are 100% Waters, but in the previous albums Gilmour was the most important member.

Yet, once again, a case must be mentioned for Wright. Without him, it just doesn't sound like Pink Floyd. The Endless River, even though his contributions were limited to what was already recorded, proves it... just as his absence from The Final Cut... and in some ways from The Wall too, proves it.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2015 at 01:43
No vote. They're all fine with a huge amount of fine albums. Anyway, all "overrating" means is lots of people like 'em while some don't.
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2015 at 07:38

Yet, once again, a case must be mentioned for Wright. Without him, it just doesn't sound like Pink Floyd. The Endless River, even though his contributions were limited to what was already recorded, proves it... just as his absence from The Final Cut... and in some ways from The Wall too, proves it.

I agree with you there. In a way, Floyd had two (truly) great musicians - Gilmour and Wright, who were also more than decent vocalists.  Roger was very much the creative force (ideas man, superb lyric writer), an average (IMO) chug-a-chug bass player and average vocalist.  And as for Nick, a great personality, and decent (but not great) drummer, though his almost nonchalant playing style works perfectly in the greater scheme of the Floydian sound..

The aforementioned Wall and Final Cut do indeed suffer from lack (or absence) of Rick, and that is also the problem I have with Animals - even though Rick was there, he had simply run out of inspiration (note that it is the first album on which he doesn't get a composer's credit).

However, as a unit when Gilmour, Waters, Wright & Mason were truly cooperating (approximately from the time of Saucerful to WYWH) they were pretty darned good.

Edited by Floydoid - December 24 2015 at 07:45
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2015 at 07:46
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

No vote. They're all fine with a huge amount of fine albums. Anyway, all "overrating" means is lots of people like 'em while some don't.

that is the simpleton answer of course... thus explains the stupidity of the votes here. If anything ELP is by FAR the most underrated of a so-called big 6. And there is a very valid discussion to be had about the differences between the first 3 and second 3. Placing Tull, Genesis, and Floyd on the same tier as K.C., Yes, and ELP can naturally be seen as overrating them for the only reason one might is.. people like them more. That is, in my book at least, a textbook case of overrating a group. ELP? Are they popular today? Of course not, but does that mean they were debatably the most infuential and impactful of ALL prog groups back then.  So how are they 'overrated' then. Unless one thinks they were like Genesis and were playing dinner clubs and selling albums to family members when others were taking prog rock to the masses and influencing contemporaries and future groups and making prog rock known to those outside the musically, culturally and intellectually elite.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2015 at 10:22
Of course it's a simpleton answer, we are having to lump these six with a populist label and discuss a subjective context without actual discussion parameters.

In a world where the effective life of any pop rock or jazz band is roughly five years (ELP and KC from 69 - 74 or so, same with Yes, Genesis before changes are made the assessment of creativity is based largely on how the older stuff which people are more used to dominates what is new.

At the height of their popularity they sold out stadia. Given the somewhat less mainstream aspect of most of their music they achieved miracles. Classical rock in Montreal Stadium, live concept albums all sort of of good stuff.

I think the real question is not about the bands and their achievements but the varying level of taste and acceptance of change in the audience. Over rated? No. Once hugely popular yes. Now that popularity has waned in the the wake of their contemporary audience's social change the longevity of credibility fills the void.

Over rating? Still want a decent answer as to what this is. A process? A thing? Anything valid at all? Highly rated sure, or perhaps under acknowledged? Possibly the reviews that are so personally fulfilling to the writers are less than desirable in objective terms to readers. Could be all sorts of things, combinations of factors to anyone and everyone.

So yes, a simplistic answer; what do you expect?

In short as Fripp said the quality of the question determines the quality of the answer.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2015 at 10:50
In this list ELP gets the vote....They spent way too much time and effort trying to create something so big and engaging that it seemed to fail upon each release in someway. There are some great songs, but not great albums.
Three talented musicians, just not sure what they were trying to do. Think I will spin BSS right now......
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2015 at 11:27
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Unless one thinks they were like Genesis and were playing dinner clubs and selling albums to family members when others were taking prog rock to the masses and influencing contemporaries and future groups and making prog rock known to those outside the musically, culturally and intellectually elite.

So...Is now Prog a amtter of masses?

I thought Prog was against commercialism.

But that's no valid point, they were les popular because they were younger, the important issue is the music.

And Genesis was creating great music.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 23>