Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Italian Prog Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 09:18
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

I really like the atmosphere of this thread, love the enthusiasm. Sadly, I'm generally not all that much into modern RPI, of the limited number of albums that I've heard. Confused I may not have reached for the "right" stuff, yet, though. As I've said, I love The Winstons and also remember liking Homunculus Res also and of the older stuff Osanna, Area, Cervello, Arti e Mestieri, Semiramis, Franco Battiato, and Museo Rosenbach are my favorites. What would you recommend for such a troubled individual? Big smile

Hmmmm, well I guess you'd likely `click' more with the modern albums that have a kind of `dirtier' sound that more resembles many of the classic Italian discs, Tymon? You've got me thinking...will have to report back when a few suggestions pop into my head! I'm currently rearranging my album collection which means putting my numerous Italian discs in the one spot, so as I work my way through them, I'll dig out the ones that I think would best suit the sort of thing you're after!

In the meantime, others on here - please feel free to propose the sort of recent Italian discs that don't have as much polish and fancy production on them!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 09:23
Originally posted by Olape Olape wrote:

Freaking love that album, and I actually have their second album sitting on the desk in front of me right now, but still haven't listened to it! Will report back!

But great to see that band getting some discussion and acknowledgement
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 09:29
Good news to report too, the latest Unreal City album `Frammenti Notturi' is another great one from them. Very recognisable as an Unreal City album, but they've added significant violin passages and play with a heavier intensity a lot of the time on this new disc. Fans are likely going to love it!
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 11:03
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Freaking love that album, and I actually have their second album sitting on the desk in front of me right now, but still haven't listened to it! Will report back!

But great to see that band getting some discussion and acknowledgement

I have this...

Really enjoying the Italian prog lately..  Started off with PFM and Nova...  Now my collection is endless thanks to this Thread!!  .......  Smile
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 14:36
Well, I waited long enough and finally bought Unreal City's second album Il Paese Del Tramonto and while I was at picked up their 2017 album Frammenti Notturni.

What bombastically fantastic music!  Only a couple of listens so far to both, but am leaning towards the 2017 album a "little" more than the second one.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 15:19

Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Il Segno del Commando just released a limited (100) Live in the Studio album.

I saw that, I would love one of those LP's, but it's only available at their concerts, so what chance do I have of snapping one up?! Hmmm, Italy is actually part of Australia, right?!

The band sells their last ones now via Facebook!

One on the way to me already Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 03:42

I saw that, I would love one of those LP's, but it's only available at their concerts, so what chance do I have of snapping one up?! Hmmm, Italy is actually part of Australia, right?!

H!!! Ha, I was literally on my way to this thread right now to let you know that they're available! I just had one arrive today from Diego!
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 07:21
Just picked up 2 wonderful Italian albums and its worth checking out folks......Wink

Andrea Orlando - Della Vita Autentica  - 2017........................ 8.5/10

There are 2 tracks which may be a hit or miss but the rest is top notch and makes up for this album!.. Italian vocals but there is plenty of instrumentals on this album.

Isproject - The Archinauts - 2017 ........................7.5/10

Very good album indeed

Smile

Edited by noni - October 04 2017 at 11:53
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 10:22

Good news to report too, the latest Unreal City album `Frammenti Notturi' is another great one from them. Very recognisable as an Unreal City album, but they've added significant violin passages and play with a heavier intensity a lot of the time on this new disc. Fans are likely going to love it!

I concur.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 14:53

H!!! Ha, I was literally on my way to this thread right now to let you know that they're available! I just had one arrive today from Diego!

Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 09:42

Very good second album from Astrolabio, `I Paralumi della Ragione’! Very wild and unpredictable with lots of dirtier noisier bursts, and it ditches the over-polish of a lot of the modern discs. I'll be posting a review in a few hours, it deserves a bit more attention than it's currently received!

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=53445
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 14:48

Very good second album from Astrolabio, `I Paralumi della Ragione’! Very wild and unpredictable with lots of dirtier noisier bursts, and it ditches the over-polish of a lot of the modern discs. I'll be posting a review in a few hours, it deserves a bit more attention than it's currently received!

I like this rough album very much, this one connects to me more than their first (second if you want)
album. They are surly belong to the top current Italian bands nowadays.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 09:39
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

Just picked up 2 wonderful Italian albums and its worth checking out folks......Wink

Andrea Orlando - Della Vita Autentica  - 2017........................ 8.5/10

There are 2 tracks which may be a hit or miss but the rest is top notch and makes up for this album!.. Italian vocals but there is plenty of instrumentals on this album.

Isproject - The Archinauts - 2017 ........................7.5/10

Very good album indeed

Smile

I agree, these are wonderful albums. I especially like Andrea Orlando's album. Isproject is very good too and would be even better with Italian vocals IMO.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 09:42
Hey the new Acqua Fragile album is solid! I'm quite surprised at how good it is. Here are some previews, I'm sure if you dig you can find more to explore. The tracks "Wear Your Car Proudly" and "All Rise" are my favorites.

Image result for acqua fragile a new chant

Edited by Todd - October 25 2017 at 09:43

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 12:00
But this one isn't nearly as good. Well, the music is actually quite good. But the vocals really ruin this one for me. Not only are they in English with a very thick accent, but they just wouldn't sound good in Italian either.

My Gnosis Ratings

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 23:24
OK, hoping to make up for lost time after being AWOL for a little while.

So, my question...

What Italian albums of this year have people found to be their favourites?

Any particular surprises?
Any big disappointments?

Have at it, friends! It would be great if we could kind of compile a Top 10 of the Italian prog highlights of the year
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 09:28
I havenīt heard so much new RPI this year, if compared to 2013 or 2016.

Personal 2017 favourites: 

1) Maxophone-La fabbrica delle nuvole (don't understand why it's not into the top albums of the year here in PA...)
2) Astrolabio-I Paralumi della Ragione
3) Il Tempio delle Clessidre-Il-ludere

The new Unreal City and Taproban weren't so strong as their previous albums, but still very good.

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 09:30

1) Maxophone-La fabbrica delle nuvole (don't understand why it's not into the top albums of the year here in PA...)

Very good, indeed
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 13:58
The only three RPI/Italian Symphonic albums I could see in my AOTY list this year are:

1. Maxophone - La Fabbrica Delle Nuvole
2. Cellar Noise - Alight
3. Unreal City - Frammenti Notturni
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 14:10

1. Barock Project- "Detachment" ( Keyboard wizard- Luca Zabbini wields a Baroque genius, catchy song craft finishes in a three way tie for my most listened to 2017 album along with Wobbler and BBT-Grimspound )

2. Panther & C- "Il Giusto Equilibrio" (  addictive velvet, bittersuite, luxurious Italian distant cousin of neo prog)  RPI Collaborator Todd's top 2017 Italian album

3. Unreal City- "Frammenti Notturi"  (Smidgeon more mellow the previous two albums, RPI juggernaut Unreal City doesn't disappoint )  Progrock.com MIW 2017 winner "Best Prog Album" and "Best Prog Song"

4.Astrolabio- "I Paralumi della Ragione" ( 21st century eccentric smirks and winks, stripped of fancy frills, fragile ivory keyboard frenzies, bottom dwelling bass stalks drum, swelling toes tap out Bonham beats "bare knuckle" brash raspy guitar creaks)

5.Maxophone- "La fabbrica delle nuvole" ( fragrant spicy vocals, plenty of instrument separation, eclectic, delicate, and organic, drizzled with a sprinkling of madrigal harmonies, surprising follow up to a classic)

6. Accordo Dei Contrari - "Violato Intatto" ( Mesmerizing heavy-prog jazz fusion, garlicy antipasto, magnifico guitar caterwaul, screaming sax. Warning! Not your uncle Guido's pastoral Italian prog)

7. il Cerchio D'oro-  "il Fuoco Sotto la Cenere"   ( 3rd strong album in a row, intriguing icy harmonies immersed in merlot soaked acoustic and electric guitars, dramatic keys, traditional but with a twist )

8.Cantina Sociale - "Caosfera" (Mediterranean style, Area influenced jumbled cacophony of emotion)

9. Taproban- "Per Aspera Ad Astera" ( swirling keys ala Banks/Kaye, Rickenbacker bass/guitar and drums retro RPI trio) 

10. L'Albero Del Veleno- " Tale of a Dark Fate"   ( Instrumental Italian horror in Goblin's vein)

11. Magnolia- "Con Fuoco" ( Social justice warrior Chiara Gironi's mezzo soprano dominates Magnolia's mid tempo aggressive "heart on sleeve" attack-against-the-machine, interspersed English and Italian PBS radio broadcasts propel the narrative) 

12. Quarto Vuoto - "Illusioni" (cinematic atmospheric keys, guitar, bass, and drums with heavy doses of jazz fusion, guest tenor sax and violin, Nicola D'Amico's eclectic drum style stands out )

13. Plurima Mundi - "Percorsi" ( silky violins, crystalline piano, avian opaline arias ricochet from classical to jazz into Sicilian chandeliers)

14. The Rome Pro(g)ject- "Exegi Monvmentvm Aere Perennivs"- (Keyboardist composer Vincenzo Ricca leads  Steve Hackett and David Cross and other Englishmen on an instrumental symphonic odyssey)  

15. Muffx- "L'ora di Tutti" ( Black Widow Records serves up a lively mid tempo stoner instrumental concept record inspired by 500 year old Ottoman Empire invasion.)

Edited by omphaloskepsis - January 15 2018 at 10:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>