Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is 'Sgt. Pepper' overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2021 at 07:20
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Pelata Pelata wrote:

Anyone these days insinuating Sgt Pepper is "overrated" is honestly just lacking context and perspective.

If it came out today? Who knows.

But in 1967 it was utterly and completely groundbreaking and, along with 'Pet Sounds' by The Beach Boys, is one of the most monumental albums in rock music history.

- GenX Beatles fan

Clap end of thread.

Amen, Chopper. ;-)

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2021 at 18:44
This thread is still going? Good God.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 03:21
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Well we thought we'd quietly laid it to rest but you just dug it up again. Wink
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 08:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yeah, i think that the album is a great album that has infulenced everyone, it is certainly not even close to overrated. I still think that, for me, i prefer Revolver and The White Album, but i think that this album deserves more hype than those album just because of how innovative it was. It changed music forever. I think that it is well worth the hype.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 09:50
It falls into the same category as In The Court Of The Crimson King as much as you can't possibly understate it's importance. However it was more a brilliant 'idea' as much as anything approaching a true masterpiece. It's probably better than just a bunch of pop songs although arguably Supertramp nailed that with Breakfast In America! The point is express yourself, do what you want, although The Who , The Kinks and The Rolling Stones were just as important in that regards.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 11:34
Possibly the key here is Sgt Pepper being so overly familiar to music fans across the board, which may affect your judgement as to if it is over/under rated/appreciated.

In my opinion it is of course a great and hugely influential work.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 21:32
Sgt. Peppers is not so much an album as a historical document.

I have a problem with the term "over-rated". Where is the cut off point between over-rated, under=rated and rated.

Who gets to decide the parameters by which something is rated?

It all seems a bit arbitrary to me.

Sorry about the resurrection, but I couldn't resist throwing in my two cents worth.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 22:51
Sgt. Pepper's historical significance is second to none for establishing pop music (and rock and all of its subgenera) as a true art form. Obviously there were many very artistic albums in these genres before Sgt. Pepper's, but The Lonely Hearts Club Band is the one which finally convinced the critics and the general public of what those in the know had been aware of for years. So on that count, no it's not overrated. On the other hand, it's sometimes still held up as perhaps the greatest album of all time on musical merits. The highest of praise. It's personally not my favorite ever, not even my favorite from The Beatles (maybe my favorite from 1967). But I wouldn't argue with anyone who claimed it was the greatest ever made. The music is consistently boundary pushing and imaginative, and many of the songs have stood the test of time for over 50 years. A Day In The Life, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, With A Little Help From My Friends, these are all certified classics, perhaps even standards! You can take your pick from the rest of the tracklist as well, it's full of gems (Fixing A Hole, She's Leaving Home, Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!). Certainly not every song will be up everyone's alley, and many people may find very little here they truly love, but to this day it's an album you can hand to just about anyone and they will find something enjoyable about it. So on that count... I still don't think it's overrated. You're welcome your own opinion of it, but it's remained popular, influential, and highly regarded my many discerning listeners since the day it came out. I think that earns it its very grand reputation.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 23:06
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Certainly not every song will be up everyone's alley, and many people may find very little here they truly love, but to this day it's an album you can hand to just about anyone and they will find something enjoyable about it. [/QUOTE Sacro_Porgo Certainly not every song will be up everyone's alley, and many people may find very little here they truly love, but to this day it's an album you can hand to just about anyone and they will find something enjoyable about it. [/QUOTE wrote:

Certainly its eclectic nature is part of its appeal. This applies to just about every Beatles album and in particular the self titled white album. Arguments have been raging since the self titled albums release about whethe

Certainly its eclectic nature is part of its appeal. This applies to just about every Beatles album and in particular the self titled white album. Arguments have been raging since the self titled albums release about whether it would have made a better single album, however everyone would probably have a different opinion about what should be rejected and what should remain. Patti Harrison really liked "Wild Honey Pie" for instance.

As for "Sgt. Peppers..." one of my favorite tracks is "Within You, Without You", which a lot of people might well do without. I noticed you didn't mention it in your summary.

As you allude, each to his/ her own.

"Sgt Peppers...", like a lot of songs on other Beatles albums, deals with nostalgia and in that regard it probably has no peer.

Edit: I don't know how the beginning of my post got attached to your quote, but I can't seem to get rid of it.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - December 15 2021 at 23:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 23:19
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Certainly not every song will be up everyone's alley, and many people may find very little here they truly love, but to this day it's an album you can hand to just about anyone and they will find something enjoyable about it.</td></tr></table>
<div><br></div><div>Certainly its eclectic nature is part of its appeal. This applies to just about every Beatles album and in particular the self titled white album. Arguments have been raging since the self titled albums release abour whether it would have made a better single album, however everyone would probably have a different opinion about what should be rejected and what should remain. Patti Harrison really liked Wild Honey Pie for instance.</div><div><br></div><div>As for Sgt. Peppers... one of my favorite tracks is Within You, Without You, which a lot of people might well do without. I noticed you didn't mention it in your summary.</div><div><br></div><div>As you allude, each to his/ her own.</div><div><br></div><div>Sgt Peppers..., like a lot of songs on other Beatles albums, deals with nostalia and in that regard it probably has no peer.</div><div><br></div><div>Edit: I don't know how the beginning of my post got attached to your quote, but I can't seem to get rid of it.</div>

[/QUOTE Sacro_Porgo Certainly not every song will be up everyone's alley, and many people may find very little here they truly love, but to this day it's an album you can hand to just about anyone and they will find something enjoyable about it.

Certainly its eclectic nature is part of its appeal. This applies to just about every Beatles album and in particular the self titled white album. Arguments have been raging since the self titled albums release abour whether it would have made a better single album, however everyone would probably have a different opinion about what should be rejected and what should remain. Patti Harrison really liked Wild Honey Pie for instance.

As for Sgt. Peppers... one of my favorite tracks is Within You, Without You, which a lot of people might well do without. I noticed you didn't mention it in your summary.

As you allude, each to his/ her own.

Sgt Peppers..., like a lot of songs on other Beatles albums, deals with nostalia and in that regard it probably has no peer.

Edit: I don't know how the beginning of my post got attached to your quote, but I can't seem to get rid of it.
[/QUOTE wrote:

I didn't mention Within You, Without You as it tends to be less liked than the other songs. People often complain it's too long and too monotonous, but I found after I had listened to it enough times there were quite a few parts of it I really looked forward to hearing. It's certainly the most experimental cut on the album, as Revolution 9 is for the White Album. But to your point, yes, in their later period The Beatles seemed to pride themselves on their eclecticism, which is one of my favorite qualities about them.  Four distinct creative minds meshing and diverging in so many diverse ways that many people never get tired of their very short catalogue. I certainly don't.

EDIT: ah, well it seems my post has had the same problem of going into your quoted area!

I didn't mention Within You, Without You as it tends to be less liked than the other songs. People often complain it's too long and too monotonous, but I found after I had listened to it enough times there were quite a few parts of it I really looked forward to hearing. It's certainly the most experimental cut on the album, as Revolution 9 is for the White Album. But to your point, yes, in their later period The Beatles seemed to pride themselves on their eclecticism, which is one of my favorite qualities about them.  Four distinct creative minds meshing and diverging in so many diverse ways that many people never get tired of their very short catalogue. I certainly don't.

EDIT: ah, well it seems my post has had the same problem of going into your quoted area!

Edited by Sacro_Porgo - December 15 2021 at 23:20
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 00:06
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

The music is consistently boundary pushing and imaginative, and many of the songs have stood the test of time for over 50 years.

On something of a related note, "Strawberry Feilds Forever" didn't make it to number one because I would argue that people were just not ready for it.

It is now considered one of the greatest songs ever (I peronally rate it as my favorite song of all time).

Who even remembers "Release Me"?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 05:49

Sgt. Peppers is not so much an album as a historical document.

I have a problem with the term "over-rated". Where is the cut off point between over-rated, under=rated and rated.

Who gets to decide the parameters by which something is rated?

It all seems a bit arbitrary to me.

Sorry about the resurrection, but I couldn't resist throwing in my two cents worth.
I’m with you on this one. People tend to use the term “overrated” mostly based on their particular taste, not knowing what it takes to write a piece of music. Somehow, that seems to be more important to them than the opinion of somebody who has some musical education, who knows how to play an instrument, compose and orchestrate a song. Previously I have been criticized for saying this, but to me, is quite evident that a trained musician knows much better what it takes to write music, and certainly can have a more in-depth perspective on a piece of music than simply personal preferences and taste. 
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 08:14
I just finished watching Get Back, the TV documentary of the Beatles creating and recording the songs that led up to the famous Apple studios roof-top performance, and which found their way onto Let It Be and Abbey Road. I have to say my appreciation for their writing ability grew immensely -- watching them create, arrange and record a dozen songs (in various stages of completion) in the matter of three weeks. Those live takes, recorded during rehearsals in the studio and live on the rooftop -- with all the band members playing together not individually recording tracks, overdubbing, and mixing it all together -- was absolutely incredible stuff to see. Watch it on Disney+.

As for Sgt Peppers -- you had to be there THEN and personally experience what took place to fully appreciate the stride forward that the album represents. Nowadays, that forward leap doesn't seem all that special -- hence the "overrated" tag by those that didn't live through it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 13:11

The music is consistently boundary pushing and imaginative, and many of the songs have stood the test of time for over 50 years.

On something of a related note, "Strawberry Feilds Forever" didn't make it to number one because I would argue that people were just not ready for it.

It is now considered one of the greatest songs ever (I peronally rate it as my favorite song of all time).

Who even remembers "Release Me"?

According to wikipedia, the real reason it wasn't #1 was because the charting company at the time only counted the sales of the best selling side of the single (since it was a double A side with Penny Lane), ignoring the reality that everyone who bought a copy necessarily bought both sides. If you put the sales of each side back together, they would easily surmount the sales of Release Me and put the single at #1 where it belongs!

Also worth noting that the Penny Lane side of the single reached #1 in the US and Australia, while the SFF side did not. In the US it was counted separately and reached #8. In Australia they just referred to the whole single as Penny Lane and relegated SFF to B-side status.

Man double-A sided singles must've been a headache to figure out when they first arrived on the scene.

Edited by Sacro_Porgo - December 16 2021 at 13:14
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 14:12
Not at all. That album was the beginning of a new trend that was to take the 70s by storm. The Beatles were the kings of the art world (and the world in general) and every album was a new model to follow, until at least the next album. Revolver had already hit hard two years earlier, but because there was still almost nothing containing progressive details, it logically didn't serve to push the whole world forward. For this comes Sgt Peppers, opening the way to this beautiful sector through its first sub-genre: psychedelic rock. I think it's a valid thought if you think it's the best album ever, so it could never be overrated for me.
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 18:37

According to wikipedia, the real reason it wasn't #1 was because the charting company at the time only counted the sales of the best selling side of the single (since it was a double A side with Penny Lane), ignoring the reality that everyone who bought a copy necessarily bought both sides. If you put the sales of each side back together, they would easily surmount the sales of Release Me and put the single at #1 where it belongs!

Also worth noting that the Penny Lane side of the single reached #1 in the US and Australia, while the SFF side did not. In the US it was counted separately and reached #8. In Australia they just referred to the whole single as Penny Lane and relegated SFF to B-side status.

Man double-A sided singles must've been a headache to figure out when they first arrived on the scene.

Although I understand all this I don't quite agree.

The Beatles had many double sided singles previously that trounced all over everything around them.

Amongst my many bootleg dvds of The Beatles I have a clip from a Dick Clarke show where he plays the clip of "Strawberry Fields..." and after the clip he goes into the audience for reactions. People are mostly bewildered and one person even says, by way of criticism that The Beatles were starting to sound like The Monkees (?).

One of the big missteps of the #1 collection is the ommision of "Strawberry Fields..." despite the inclusion of "Yesterday" even though "Yesterday" was never actually released as an official single in the UK, on the strength that it was a number one elsewhere in the world.

The inclusion of "Penny Lane" indicates to me that it was a much more "accessible" song that didin't really stray too far from the populist norm.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - December 17 2021 at 01:43
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 01:30
Originally posted by Argentinfonico Argentinfonico wrote:

Not at all. That album was the beginning of a new trend that was to take the 70s by storm. The Beatles were the kings of the art world (and the world in general) and every album was a new model to follow, until at least the next album. Revolver had already hit hard two years earlier, but because there was still almost nothing containing progressive details, it logically didn't serve to push the whole world forward. For this comes Sgt Peppers, opening the way to this beautiful sector through its first sub-genre: psychedelic rock. I think it's a valid thought if you think it's the best album ever, so it could never be overrated for me.

The Beatles were certainly the kings of the art world as you suggest. It's interesting that they weren't particularly talented as musicians and I suspect without George Martin they would never have achieved what they did. This sits slightly uncomfortably with me as I prefer my bands to be as autonomous as possible. The 'Fifth Beatle' thing was so true. You need someone who understands how to arrange music to be artful imo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 02:48
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The Beatles were certainly the kings of the art world as you suggest. It's interesting that they weren't particularly talented as musicians and I suspect without George Martin they would never have achieved what they did. This sits slightly uncomfortably with me as I prefer my bands to be as autonomous as possible. The 'Fifth Beatle' thing was so true. You need someone who understands how to arrange music to be artful imo.

There are a few points you make in your post that I would like to address. as I suspect you might have expected.

Martin is indeed an important part of The Beatles success, not least because he was the only one at the time willing to take a chance with them.

He took their raw energy, talent and perhaps limited abilities and polished them up for mass consumption. His contributions are particularly apparent with the mid period Lennon songs from "Rubber Soul" to "Sgt, Peppers...". Lennons spontaneity stood in direct contrast to McCartneys fastidiousness and Martin helped to temper both aspects of those giant personalities without interfering with the freshness of their sound.

At the time I don't think this was particularly unusual. Take Elvis as a for instance. Where would he have been without all the surrounding support, not only from more talented musicians but also from San Phillips.

Despite Martin The Beatles helped to usher in the era of the self contained musical entity and at the time part of their wondrous appeal was how relatively self contained they were.

The Beatles may not have been "particularly talented" as you say but I don't think McCartney can be included in this assesment. McCartney always strove to become the consumate musician he eventually became from the very off (litteraly). Just listen to his bass on the first track of the first album "I Saw Her Standing There". As good as anyone else at the time, I would suggest. 

In the modern era of home recording and digital tools it's a lot easier to be self contained but at the time The Beatles were operating, all kinds of technical support was necessary, from the producer to wonderful engineers like Geoff Emerick and co.

Yet regardless of this, despite all the input from these producers and engineers it was still ultimately down to the creative spark of The Beatles themselves (particularly Lennon and McCartney) that gave tracks like "Tommorrow Never Knows" life.

{End rant]

Edited by Hugh Manatee - December 17 2021 at 02:51
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 02:56
yes. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2021 at 07:35
The fact that the album is still being dissected and discussed almost 55 years later is one indicator of its importance as one of the most iconic recordings of all time, and possibly the most iconic recording of the 1960's.

The music is timeless, and to me still sounds fresh, even having heard the album dozens of times. I'm just a tad too young to have appreciated it at the time of release (I was 11 in 1967, and not really listening to much music as yet), but its impact must have been incalculable. What Sgt Pepper did was establish the album as being far more than just the next collection of songs - also there is a vague theme throughout of putting on a show, making it a proto-concept album.

Not to mention the variety of musical styles they experimented with, and each one of the songs being utterly wonderful (with the Lennon-McCartney partnership being at its most sublime before the cracks started to appear). Add with that incredible production and engineering - everything just came together right, and it sounded nothing like anything that had gone before.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>